|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the book, Edie: An American Biography who helps to tell the story of the Sedgwick ancestors?
(a) College professors.
(b) Sedgwick family members.
(c) The media.
(d) 1960s historians.
2. What reason is suggested for the large number of children Alice and Francis had together?
(a) Alice and Francis did not believe in birth control.
(b) Alice wanted to prove she could have more children than anyone else.
(c) Alice came from a small family and wanted to have a big family as an adult.
(d) Alice was incredibly fertile.
3. What preparatory boarding school did Francis Minturn Sedgewick attend?
(a) Cheshire Academy.
(b) Windermere Academy.
(c) The Forman School.
(d) The Groton School.
4. While staying at Bloomingdale hospital, what did Edie do while out on a visitor's pass?
(a) She tried to run away.
(b) She stole a car.
(c) She got married.
(d) She got an abortion.
5. In what year was Francis Minturn Sedgewick born?
6. Who did Francis Minturn Sedgwick marry?
(a) Alice Davenport.
(b) Alice Hepburn.
(c) Alice Vanderbilt.
(d) Alice Delano de Forest.
7. What year did Edie begin attending St. Timothy's school?
8. What were many of the artworks Francis created inspired by?
(b) Women he had affairs with.
(c) His family.
9. What is the first name of Francis Sedgwick's daughter who was nicknamed "Saucie"?
10. What was the likely reason for Francis Sedgwick's rejection to join the military?
(a) Poor eyesight.
(b) Bronchial asthma.
(d) Psychological imbalance.
11. What state was St. Timothy's school in?
(b) New Hampshire.
(d) New York.
12. How did the Sedgwick children feel about California?
(a) They hated the heat.
(b) They missed the white Christmases.
(c) They were indifferent.
(d) They thought it was paradise.
13. What example does Saucie use to illustrate her feeling that Edie got everything she wanted?
(a) Edie being able to decide what school she attended.
(b) Edie having access to her father's bank account.
(c) Edie being allowed to drive her father's Mercedes.
(d) Edie being given a pony.
14. What did Edie start to get in trouble for doing while at St. Timothy's school?
(a) Promiscuous behavior.
(d) Wearing the wrong clothing.
15. What adorns Theodore Sedgwick's grave?
(a) An alpha and an omega symbol.
(b) A bird bath.
(c) An obelisk.
(d) A cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. What boarding school did Edie go to at the age of thirteen?
2. What did Edie have nightmares about while she was at boarding school?
3. What distinguished position did Theodore Sedgwick eventually reach in his career?
4. Where did other members of Theodore Sedgwick's family settle?
5. While speaking about her family's life in California, what term does Saucie use to describe her parents?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)