|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does T.J. say he has to go when he's helping Andrew fix up a house?
2. What does Andrew notice about the houses on T.J.'s block when he rings T.J.'s doorbell?
3. What does Andrew find inside the drawer of Eden's desk?
4. Where did police look for a murder weapon, according to Andrew's farmer neighbor?
5. What does Eden say T.J. lies about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
2. What is Geoffrey's response when Andrew says he needs more time away from the office?
3. What does Andrew learn when he asks T.J. if he had a sexual relationship with Eden?
4. What does Andrew guess and then have confirmed about his father's role the night of the shooting?
5. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
6. What important news does T.J. give Andrew when he calls to check on selling the house?
7. What does T.J. tell Andrew about "the till being empty"?
8. What happens when Andrew and Eden are in the kitchen together for the first time?
9. How does DeSalvo protect Eden in the luncheonette?
10. What happens at the pond when Andrew falls asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationship did Andrew and Eden have most of their lives? How did Eden act on her feelings as a teen, but was rejected by Andrew? What is Andrew's response to her when he returns for his mother's funeral and sees her for the first time in nineteen years? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew and T.J's relationship. Why does Andrew feel awkward with T.J. when he sees him after his mother's funeral? How does the relationship become easier by the end of the novel? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abuse in this novel. In what ways has Eden been abused physically and emotionally? What role did Edith and Jim play in this abuse, and why did Edith attempt to kill Eden because of it? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)