|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days in a row do Andrew and Eden go to the pond in Chapter 5?
2. What was Andrew surprised not to find in Edith's dresser drawer?
3. What did Andrew see in Eden's face and body when he came down to the kitchen with Edith?
4. What is the central color of the decor in T.J.'s house?
5. What does Edith say Eden will experience if Andrew continues to see her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of gifts does Andrew bring Eden?
2. What does Andrew learn when he asks T.J. if he had a sexual relationship with Eden?
3. What information does Eden tell Andrew about what she remembers after the shooting?
4. What happened the night of the shooting that the reader learns when Andrew is telling T.J. the story?
5. Why is Andrew considered a hero in the town?
6. What does Andrew guess and then have confirmed about his father's role the night of the shooting?
7. Why does Edith warn Andrew not to visit Eden again?
8. Where did Edith go after she tried to shoot Eden?
9. Why does Andrew buy Eden sneakers?
10. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Andrew's dream in helping him unravel the mystery of the night of the shooting. Why is Andrew haunted by this dream? What does he learn when he figures out the correct sequence of events? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What does T.J.'s house look like? How does he use it as a status symbol? What room does he seem most comfortable in and what does this suggest about his identity? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abuse in this novel. In what ways has Eden been abused physically and emotionally? What role did Edith and Jim play in this abuse, and why did Edith attempt to kill Eden because of it? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)