|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told DeSalvo the story about the night of the shooting after Edith tried to kill Eden for the second time?
2. How does Eden learn that Edith is selling the house?
3. What year was the postcard from Jim dated that Andrew found in Edith's dresser drawer?
4. What month is it in the last chapter of the novel?
5. Why does Andrew think that T.J. doesn't look well at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
2. How does Eden respond when Andrew asks her to leave with him?
3. Why does Andrew feel he has let Billy down?
4. Why is Andrew considered a hero in the town?
5. Why does DeSalvo come to Andrew's mother's house when Andrew is talking with Edith near the herb garden?
6. What does Didi say about Eden that makes Andrew angry?
7. How does DeSalvo protect Eden in the luncheonette?
8. What does Andrew plan to do after he and Eden leave his mother's house?
9. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
10. What did Andrew find in Edith's dresser drawer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Andrew's dream in helping him unravel the mystery of the night of the shooting. Why is Andrew haunted by this dream? What does he learn when he figures out the correct sequence of events? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What does T.J.'s house look like? How does he use it as a status symbol? What room does he seem most comfortable in and what does this suggest about his identity? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chief DeSalvo's role in the story, and analyze his attitude toward Andrew and Eden. Why does Andrew call him first before the police at the end of the novel? How does DeSalvo take charge of the situation? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)