|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eden tell Andrew not to bring her anything in Chapter 4?
2. Where did Edith keep the gun after Andrew's father died?
3. How does Eden learn that Edith is selling the house?
4. What nickname does Didi say she and her friends used to call Eden?
5. What month is it in the last chapter of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of gifts does Andrew bring Eden?
2. Why does Andrew feel he has let Billy down?
3. Why does Andrew visit Mr. O'Brien?
4. How does Andrew feel about the baby he and Eden are expecting?
5. What does Andrew plan to do after he and Eden leave his mother's house?
6. Why does Edith warn Andrew not to visit Eden again?
7. Why does Andrew buy Eden sneakers?
8. What happens at the pond when Andrew falls asleep?
9. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
10. How does DeSalvo protect Eden in the luncheonette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What does T.J.'s house look like? How does he use it as a status symbol? What room does he seem most comfortable in and what does this suggest about his identity? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the clay sculptures in Eden's life. What kind of portraits does she sculpt? What does Andrew say about them when he finds them? Why did Edith buy her clay, but allow the sculptures to crumble? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)