|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eden wearing when she is in the kitchen waiting for Andrew after he buried the dog?
2. Why did Mrs. DeSalvo go to the hospital, according to Mr. DeSalvo?
3. How many days in a row do Andrew and Eden go to the pond in Chapter 5?
4. How does Andrew describe Edith's gun when she points it at him and Eden?
5. Who built a box for the gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
2. What does Andrew plan to do after he and Eden leave his mother's house?
3. What does Andrew find in Eden's desk drawer?
4. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
5. What does T.J. tell Andrew about "the till being empty"?
6. Why does Andrew buy Eden sneakers?
7. Why does Andrew visit Mr. O'Brien?
8. What did Andrew find in Edith's dresser drawer?
9. What is Geoffrey's response when Andrew says he needs more time away from the office?
10. Why does Edith warn Andrew not to visit Eden again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Eden effectively transform herself into a tomboy so that she could join Andrew's circle of friends? What impressed Andrew, Sean and T.J. about Eden's inventiveness and stoicism? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the way the author uses weather to enhance the action of the story. How does humid or hot weather heighten the mystery and conflict of the story? What weather does the author use to support Andrew's desire for a fresh start? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship did Andrew and Eden have most of their lives? How did Eden act on her feelings as a teen, but was rejected by Andrew? What is Andrew's response to her when he returns for his mother's funeral and sees her for the first time in nineteen years? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)