|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal information does T.J. tell Andrew about when he is working with him on Edith's house?
2. What kind of job does Martha's fiancée have?
3. What month is it in the last chapter of the novel?
4. What year was the postcard from Jim dated that Andrew found in Edith's dresser drawer?
5. How many days in a row do Andrew and Eden go to the pond in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Andrew find in Edith's dresser drawer?
2. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
3. Why does Andrew visit Mr. O'Brien?
4. What is Geoffrey's response when Andrew says he needs more time away from the office?
5. How does Andrew feel about the baby he and Eden are expecting?
6. What does Andrew plan to do after he and Eden leave his mother's house?
7. What happens at the pond when Andrew falls asleep?
8. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
9. What happened the night of the shooting that the reader learns when Andrew is telling T.J. the story?
10. What information does Eden reveal when Andrew persists in learning more about who she had been with in her bedroom before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What important information does Andrew learn about his mother and father when he returns home? What particular personal items make him more aware of his parents' inner lives? How does this knowledge affect him? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What gifts does Andrew bring Eden? Why does she refuse to accept most of them? Which one does she accept that changes her life forever? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)