|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dazes Andrew when he steps into T.J.'s foyer?
2. Why does Andrew think that T.J. doesn't look well at the end of the novel?
3. What color did Andrew paint Edith's kitchen in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Martha call Andrew in Chapter 5?
5. What is the wallpaper design in Eden's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eden tell Andrew that makes him think differently of Jim?
2. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
3. What information does Eden tell Andrew about what she remembers after the shooting?
4. Why does Andrew visit Mr. O'Brien?
5. What does Didi say about Eden that makes Andrew angry?
6. Why is Andrew considered a hero in the town?
7. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
8. How does Andrew feel about the baby he and Eden are expecting?
9. Why does Andrew feel he has let Billy down?
10. What does T.J. tell Andrew about "the till being empty"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chief DeSalvo's role in the story, and analyze his attitude toward Andrew and Eden. Why does Andrew call him first before the police at the end of the novel? How does DeSalvo take charge of the situation? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does T.J.'s house look like? How does he use it as a status symbol? What room does he seem most comfortable in and what does this suggest about his identity? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What role did Andrew's father have the night of the shooting? Why did he choose to hide the gun Edith used to kill Jim? Did he understand the true situation between Eden and Jim? Why or why not? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)