|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the realization that Andrew comes to that is described in the final sentence of Chapter 5?
2. What does Andrew find inside the drawer of Eden's desk?
3. What kind of job does Martha's fiancée have?
4. How does Eden let Andrew know that she will leave with him after she told him about Jim?
5. What chore does T.J. choose to help Andrew with in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
2. What does Andrew learn when he asks T.J. if he had a sexual relationship with Eden?
3. Why does Andrew visit Mr. O'Brien?
4. Why does Andrew buy Eden sneakers?
5. Why does Edith warn Andrew not to visit Eden again?
6. What does Andrew guess and then have confirmed about his father's role the night of the shooting?
7. How does Andrew feel about the baby he and Eden are expecting?
8. What information does Eden tell Andrew about what she remembers after the shooting?
9. What does T.J. tell Andrew about "the till being empty"?
10. What happened the night of the shooting that the reader learns when Andrew is telling T.J. the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Andrew? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he change as the novel progresses? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the pond. What important events occur here in terms of Andrew and Eden's relationship as adults? What role does the water play in giving Eden more confidence and a sense of independence? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)