|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andrew describe Edith's gun when she points it at him and Eden?
2. What kind of garden is Andrew tending when Edith comes over and asks him to stay away from Eden?
3. What nickname does Didi say she and her friends used to call Eden?
4. What does DeSalvo return to Andrew when he and Edith are talking in a garden?
5. What does Andrew notice about the houses on T.J.'s block when he rings T.J.'s doorbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Didi say about Eden that makes Andrew angry?
2. What does Eden tell Andrew that makes him think differently of Jim?
3. Where did Edith go after she tried to shoot Eden?
4. What is Geoffrey's response when Andrew says he needs more time away from the office?
5. What does Andrew guess and then have confirmed about his father's role the night of the shooting?
6. Why is Andrew considered a hero in the town?
7. What happens when Andrew and Eden are in the kitchen together for the first time?
8. Why does Andrew feel he has let Billy down?
9. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
10. How does DeSalvo protect Eden in the luncheonette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree or disagree with T.J.'s statement that Andrew is a "hero" for his actions in deflecting Edith's gunshot? How is Andrew able to protect Eden through his actions? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew and T.J's relationship. Why does Andrew feel awkward with T.J. when he sees him after his mother's funeral? How does the relationship become easier by the end of the novel? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How did Eden effectively transform herself into a tomboy so that she could join Andrew's circle of friends? What impressed Andrew, Sean and T.J. about Eden's inventiveness and stoicism? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)