|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mrs. DeSalvo go to the hospital, according to Mr. DeSalvo?
2. What personal information does T.J. tell Andrew about when he is working with him on Edith's house?
3. What emotion does Mr. O'Brien express when Andrew stops in to visit him?
4. What simile does the author use to describe Andrew's leap off the bed in Eden's bedroom?
5. What does O'Brien do when he sees Eden in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important news does T.J. give Andrew when he calls to check on selling the house?
2. What does Andrew learn when he asks T.J. if he had a sexual relationship with Eden?
3. Where did Edith go after she tried to shoot Eden?
4. How does Eden respond when Andrew asks her to leave with him?
5. Why is Andrew considered a hero in the town?
6. Why does Andrew buy Eden sneakers?
7. Describe T.J.'s home.
8. What changes does Andrew make to Edith's kitchen in order to sell the house?
9. What is Geoffrey's response when Andrew says he needs more time away from the office?
10. What happens when Andrew and Eden are in the kitchen together for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree or disagree with T.J.'s statement that Andrew is a "hero" for his actions in deflecting Edith's gunshot? How is Andrew able to protect Eden through his actions? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationship did Andrew and Eden have most of their lives? How did Eden act on her feelings as a teen, but was rejected by Andrew? What is Andrew's response to her when he returns for his mother's funeral and sees her for the first time in nineteen years? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abuse in this novel. In what ways has Eden been abused physically and emotionally? What role did Edith and Jim play in this abuse, and why did Edith attempt to kill Eden because of it? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)