|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Andrew's mother in the grocery store in the days before she died?
2. What does Edith serve Andrew when he visits the Close home the day after his mother's funeral?
3. What kind of business does Sean's father own?
4. What word did Andy use to describe the shirt his mother bought him for his first day of senior year?
5. Who lives in Water's Edge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
2. How did Sean react when Eden broke up with him?
3. Who does Edith claim killed her husband?
4. What was Edith's reaction to the baby left at her house?
5. What do Andrew and his son Billy talk about on the phone when Martha calls from Nantucket?
6. How does Andrew remember protecting his mother the night Jim was killed?
7. Describe Edith Closes' appearance at Andrew's mother's funeral.
8. What did Andrew observe about Eden when she was carried out on a stretcher the night her father was killed?
9. How did Eden react to her mother's show of affection when Jim was home?
10. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the way the author uses weather to enhance the action of the story. How does humid or hot weather heighten the mystery and conflict of the story? What weather does the author use to support Andrew's desire for a fresh start? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationship did Andrew and Eden have most of their lives? How did Eden act on her feelings as a teen, but was rejected by Andrew? What is Andrew's response to her when he returns for his mother's funeral and sees her for the first time in nineteen years? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)