|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Andrew's mother leave on the desk in his room that he sees in Chapter 1?
2. What did Andrew's father bring to the Closes' home the night Mr. Close was killed?
3. How old was Eden Close the night her father was killed?
4. What was the baby in when she was left at the Closes' home?
5. What is the weather like in Chapter 1 when Andrew is trying to sleep and awakens from a dream about his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
2. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
3. Describe Eden's physical appearance when Andrew sees her sitting at the top of the stairs in her house.
4. What bothers Chief DeSalvo about the Close case?
5. How does Andrew remember protecting his mother the night Jim was killed?
6. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
7. In what way was Andy confused by Eden's change in behavior on the first day of school when he was a senior?
8. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
9. How did Sean react when Eden broke up with him?
10. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Andrew? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he change as the novel progresses? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Eden's behavior as a young teen. What affect did her wildness have on Andy? How did he feel about her shoplifting and promiscuity? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)