|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Andrew's mother in the grocery store in the days before she died?
2. Who brought a pack of Old Gold cigarettes to the pond in winter?
3. Who lives in Water's Edge?
4. What did Andrew's father help Jim do with a swing set for Eden?
5. What animal tried to harm baby Eden when she was left outside in her carriage one afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eden think she would die young?
2. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
3. What do Andrew and his son Billy talk about on the phone when Martha calls from Nantucket?
4. What was Andrew attracted to about Martha when he first met her?
5. Why does Andrew return to his mother's house?
6. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
7. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
8. How did Andy handle Eden's advances while they were at the pond when he was eighteen?
9. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
10. What is Edith's reaction when Andrew knocks on her door and wants to visit Eden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the way the author uses weather to enhance the action of the story. How does humid or hot weather heighten the mystery and conflict of the story? What weather does the author use to support Andrew's desire for a fresh start? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the physical and emotional injuries Eden suffered from the shooting. What does Edith tell Andrew about Eden's mental state? Does Andrew believe that he can help Eden heal? How so? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What gifts does Andrew bring Eden? Why does she refuse to accept most of them? Which one does she accept that changes her life forever? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)