|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how long has it been since Andrew last entered the Closes' house?
2. How did Edith feel about Jim and Eden's relationship?
3. What does Andrew plan to do with his childhood home?
4. What hours does Edith work every day?
5. What does Andrew offer to do at Edith's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way was Andy confused by Eden's change in behavior on the first day of school when he was a senior?
2. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
3. Describe the relationship between Andrew and Martha.
4. Who discovered Andrew's mother died?
5. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
6. What bothers Chief DeSalvo about the Close case?
7. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
8. How did Sean react when Eden broke up with him?
9. What is Edith's reaction when Andrew knocks on her door and wants to visit Eden?
10. What do Andrew and his son Billy talk about on the phone when Martha calls from Nantucket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What important information does Andrew learn about his mother and father when he returns home? What particular personal items make him more aware of his parents' inner lives? How does this knowledge affect him? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew and T.J's relationship. Why does Andrew feel awkward with T.J. when he sees him after his mother's funeral? How does the relationship become easier by the end of the novel? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abuse in this novel. In what ways has Eden been abused physically and emotionally? What role did Edith and Jim play in this abuse, and why did Edith attempt to kill Eden because of it? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)