|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy's son live?
2. What did Andrew's mother leave on the desk in his room that he sees in Chapter 1?
3. What word did Andrew's mother use when Eden was young to describe Jim's "inability to discipline his daughter"?
4. What activity did Eden want to do with Andy, Sean and T.J. in Chapter 2?
5. What was the baby in when she was left at the Closes' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andrew say when his secretary calls and asks when he will be back at work?
2. Why did Eden think she would die young?
3. What does Andrew remember about his father's actions the night Jim was killed?
4. How does Andrew remember protecting his mother the night Jim was killed?
5. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
6. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
7. How did Sean react when Eden broke up with him?
8. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
9. In what way was Andy confused by Eden's change in behavior on the first day of school when he was a senior?
10. In what way did Edith react when the paramedics tried to get her to lie down on a stretcher after her husband was killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What important information does Andrew learn about his mother and father when he returns home? What particular personal items make him more aware of his parents' inner lives? How does this knowledge affect him? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How does Edith's house become a prison of sorts for Eden? In what way does Edith restrict her from living a full life? Provide textual examples to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Andrew? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he change as the novel progresses? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)