|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Andy use to describe the shirt his mother bought him for his first day of senior year?
2. Where is Andrew thinking of taking his son camping?
3. What color velvet drapes are on the stage where refreshments are served in Chapter 1?
4. Where is Eden waiting for Andrew when he hurries back to her house from town in Chapter 3?
5. Who calls Eden "a real knock-out."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Edith claim killed her husband?
2. How does Andrew remember protecting his mother the night Jim was killed?
3. What does Andrew say when his secretary calls and asks when he will be back at work?
4. How did Andy handle Eden's advances while they were at the pond when he was eighteen?
5. Describe the relationship between Andrew and Martha.
6. Who discovered Andrew's mother died?
7. Describe Eden's physical appearance when Andrew sees her sitting at the top of the stairs in her house.
8. What is Edith's reaction when Andrew knocks on her door and wants to visit Eden?
9. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
10. What was Edith's reaction to the baby left at her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationship did Andrew and Eden have most of their lives? How did Eden act on her feelings as a teen, but was rejected by Andrew? What is Andrew's response to her when he returns for his mother's funeral and sees her for the first time in nineteen years? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the pond. What important events occur here in terms of Andrew and Eden's relationship as adults? What role does the water play in giving Eden more confidence and a sense of independence? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Andrew? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he change as the novel progresses? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)