|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Eden "a real knock-out."
2. Where does Andrew see scars on Eden's face?
3. What activity did Eden want to do with Andy, Sean and T.J. in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of Andrew's secretary?
5. What happened to Andrew's mother in the grocery store in the days before she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way was Andy confused by Eden's change in behavior on the first day of school when he was a senior?
2. Why does Andrew leave the luncheonette so quickly and speed home?
3. Describe Eden's physical appearance when Andrew sees her sitting at the top of the stairs in her house.
4. What was Andy's opinion about stealing when Eden took jewelry from Woolworth's?
5. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
6. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
7. Describe the relationship between Andrew and Martha.
8. Describe Edith Closes' appearance at Andrew's mother's funeral.
9. What was Andrew attracted to about Martha when he first met her?
10. In what way did Edith react when the paramedics tried to get her to lie down on a stretcher after her husband was killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the way the author uses weather to enhance the action of the story. How does humid or hot weather heighten the mystery and conflict of the story? What weather does the author use to support Andrew's desire for a fresh start? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How does Edith's house become a prison of sorts for Eden? In what way does Edith restrict her from living a full life? Provide textual examples to support your analysis.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)