|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of house does Andrew's ex-wife live in?
2. Who did Edith Close say killed her husband?
3. How was Sean killed?
4. What kind of job does Andrew have?
5. What did Andy do after he saw Eden kissing a boy at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way was Andy confused by Eden's change in behavior on the first day of school when he was a senior?
2. Describe Edith Closes' appearance at Andrew's mother's funeral.
3. Describe Eden's physical appearance when Andrew sees her sitting at the top of the stairs in her house.
4. Why does Andrew return to his mother's house?
5. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
6. What was Andy's opinion about stealing when Eden took jewelry from Woolworth's?
7. How does Andrew remember protecting his mother the night Jim was killed?
8. In what way did Edith react when the paramedics tried to get her to lie down on a stretcher after her husband was killed?
9. What do Andrew and his son Billy talk about on the phone when Martha calls from Nantucket?
10. What bothers Chief DeSalvo about the Close case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Andrew? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he change as the novel progresses? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What role did Andrew's father have the night of the shooting? Why did he choose to hide the gun Edith used to kill Jim? Did he understand the true situation between Eden and Jim? Why or why not? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How did Eden effectively transform herself into a tomboy so that she could join Andrew's circle of friends? What impressed Andrew, Sean and T.J. about Eden's inventiveness and stoicism? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)