|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew find in his closet that he wears doing chores around his mother's house the day after the funeral?
2. What does Andrew do to his mother's house the morning after the funeral?
3. What does Chief DeSalvo say about the Closes' case when he and Andrew talk in Chapter 3?
4. Who has a job as a nurse?
5. How was Sean killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
2. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
3. Describe T.J.'s home.
4. What did Andrew observe about Eden when she was carried out on a stretcher the night her father was killed?
5. What information does Eden reveal when Andrew persists in learning more about who she had been with in her bedroom before?
6. Why does Andrew return to his mother's house?
7. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
8. How does Eden respond when Andrew asks her to leave with him?
9. What is Edith's reaction when Andrew knocks on her door and wants to visit Eden?
10. In what way did Edith react when the paramedics tried to get her to lie down on a stretcher after her husband was killed?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the conflict between Andrew and Edith Close. Why does Edith want him to stay away from Eden? How does Andrew escalate the conflict by disregarding her wishes? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of abuse in this novel. In what ways has Eden been abused physically and emotionally? What role did Edith and Jim play in this abuse, and why did Edith attempt to kill Eden because of it? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the clay sculptures in Eden's life. What kind of portraits does she sculpt? What does Andrew say about them when he finds them? Why did Edith buy her clay, but allow the sculptures to crumble? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)