|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eden tell the time?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how long has it been since Andrew last entered the Closes' house?
3. Where are refreshments served after the burial in Chapter 1?
4. What were Sean's parents known for?
5. What was the baby in when she was left at the Closes' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edith intend when she comes into Eden's room when Eden and Andrew are making love?
2. What happens at the pond when Andrew falls asleep?
3. Why does Edith warn Andrew not to visit Eden again?
4. What does Andrew say when his secretary calls and asks when he will be back at work?
5. What is Edith's reaction when Andrew knocks on her door and wants to visit Eden?
6. What does Andrew dream about the night of his mother's funeral?
7. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
8. Who does Edith claim killed her husband?
9. Who discovered Andrew's mother died?
10. What does T.J. tell Andrew about "the till being empty"?
Essay Topic 1
What gifts does Andrew bring Eden? Why does she refuse to accept most of them? Which one does she accept that changes her life forever? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Andrew's dream in helping him unravel the mystery of the night of the shooting. Why is Andrew haunted by this dream? What does he learn when he figures out the correct sequence of events? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How does Edith's house become a prison of sorts for Eden? In what way does Edith restrict her from living a full life? Provide textual examples to support your analysis.
This section contains 1,518 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)