|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died of a massive stroke?
2. What was the baby in when she was left at the Closes' home?
3. What item of his father's does Andrew plan to take home with him?
4. When Andrew was a child, what kind of work did his father do?
5. Who brought a pack of Old Gold cigarettes to the pond in winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eden think she would die young?
2. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
3. Why does Andrew leave the luncheonette so quickly and speed home?
4. Describe the relationship between Andrew and Martha.
5. How did Eden react to her mother's show of affection when Jim was home?
6. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
7. Describe Eden's physical appearance when Andrew sees her sitting at the top of the stairs in her house.
8. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
9. In what way did Edith react when the paramedics tried to get her to lie down on a stretcher after her husband was killed?
10. What does Andrew say when his secretary calls and asks when he will be back at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What gifts does Andrew bring Eden? Why does she refuse to accept most of them? Which one does she accept that changes her life forever? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How did Eden effectively transform herself into a tomboy so that she could join Andrew's circle of friends? What impressed Andrew, Sean and T.J. about Eden's inventiveness and stoicism? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship did Andrew and Eden have most of their lives? How did Eden act on her feelings as a teen, but was rejected by Andrew? What is Andrew's response to her when he returns for his mother's funeral and sees her for the first time in nineteen years? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)