|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Eden reading the night of the shooting?
2. What work did Jim do?
3. Who is the narrator of the novel, "Eden Close"?
4. How long was Eden in a coma?
5. What does Eden remember about Andrew's hair the summer before he left for college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Edith's reaction when Andrew knocks on her door and wants to visit Eden?
2. What does Andrew remember about his father's actions the night Jim was killed?
3. How does Andrew remember protecting his mother the night Jim was killed?
4. What was Andrew attracted to about Martha when he first met her?
5. How did Andy handle Eden's advances while they were at the pond when he was eighteen?
6. What was Edith's reaction to the baby left at her house?
7. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
8. Why does Andrew leave the luncheonette so quickly and speed home?
9. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
10. What does Andrew say when his secretary calls and asks when he will be back at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the way the author uses weather to enhance the action of the story. How does humid or hot weather heighten the mystery and conflict of the story? What weather does the author use to support Andrew's desire for a fresh start? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Andrew's dream in helping him unravel the mystery of the night of the shooting. Why is Andrew haunted by this dream? What does he learn when he figures out the correct sequence of events? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Andrew? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he change as the novel progresses? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)