|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the baby in when she was left at the Closes' home?
2. What were Sean's parents known for?
3. Who owns the working farm across the road from Andrew's family?
4. What noise does Andrew hear when he is getting ready to leave the Closes' house that makes him realize Eden must be awake?
5. Where did Andrew work the summer before he left for college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Edith claim killed her husband?
2. How did Eden react to her mother's show of affection when Jim was home?
3. What do Andrew and his son Billy talk about on the phone when Martha calls from Nantucket?
4. Describe Edith Closes' appearance at Andrew's mother's funeral.
5. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
6. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
7. What does Andrew remember about his father's actions the night Jim was killed?
8. Why does Andrew return to his mother's house?
9. Why did Eden think she would die young?
10. How did Eden become part of T.J., Sean and Andy's circle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationship did Andrew and Eden have most of their lives? How did Eden act on her feelings as a teen, but was rejected by Andrew? What is Andrew's response to her when he returns for his mother's funeral and sees her for the first time in nineteen years? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the clay sculptures in Eden's life. What kind of portraits does she sculpt? What does Andrew say about them when he finds them? Why did Edith buy her clay, but allow the sculptures to crumble? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What role did Andrew's father have the night of the shooting? Why did he choose to hide the gun Edith used to kill Jim? Did he understand the true situation between Eden and Jim? Why or why not? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)