|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are refreshments served after the burial in Chapter 1?
2. Who brought a pack of Old Gold cigarettes to the pond in winter?
3. Where does Billy's son live?
4. What did Eden shoplift from Woolworth's?
5. Who was Eden's boyfriend in the Spring before the shooting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
2. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
3. What do Andrew and his son Billy talk about on the phone when Martha calls from Nantucket?
4. Why did Eden think she would die young?
5. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
6. What did Andrew observe about Eden when she was carried out on a stretcher the night her father was killed?
7. Why does Andrew return to his mother's house?
8. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
9. What was Edith's reaction to the baby left at her house?
10. What does Andrew dream about the night of his mother's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
How did Eden effectively transform herself into a tomboy so that she could join Andrew's circle of friends? What impressed Andrew, Sean and T.J. about Eden's inventiveness and stoicism? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree or disagree with T.J.'s statement that Andrew is a "hero" for his actions in deflecting Edith's gunshot? How is Andrew able to protect Eden through his actions? Quote the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)