|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eden shoplift from Woolworth's?
2. What does Andrew eat for breakfast at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. How far apart are Andrew and his neighbor's house?
4. What does Billy want Andrew to not pack up in Chapter 3?
5. What month was a baby left outside the Closes' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andrew find in Eden's desk drawer?
2. Describe what happens when Andrew brings Eden to the pond.
3. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
4. How did Andy handle Eden's advances while they were at the pond when he was eighteen?
5. Why does Andrew leave the luncheonette so quickly and speed home?
6. What is Geoffrey's response when Andrew says he needs more time away from the office?
7. What does Andrew dream about the night of his mother's funeral?
8. Describe T.J.'s home.
9. Who does Edith claim killed her husband?
10. Why is Andrew considered a hero in the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree or disagree with T.J.'s statement that Andrew is a "hero" for his actions in deflecting Edith's gunshot? How is Andrew able to protect Eden through his actions? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What important information does Andrew learn about his mother and father when he returns home? What particular personal items make him more aware of his parents' inner lives? How does this knowledge affect him? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of abuse in this novel. In what ways has Eden been abused physically and emotionally? What role did Edith and Jim play in this abuse, and why did Edith attempt to kill Eden because of it? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,602 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)