|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eden tell the time?
2. What color eyes does Eden have?
3. What month was a baby left outside the Closes' home?
4. Who did Edith Close say killed her husband?
5. What was Eden hit with in Chapter 2 that left a scar on her cheekbone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Andy's opinion about stealing when Eden took jewelry from Woolworth's?
2. How did Eden become part of T.J., Sean and Andy's circle?
3. What does Andrew dream about the night of his mother's funeral?
4. Why did Eden think she would die young?
5. How did Andy handle Eden's advances while they were at the pond when he was eighteen?
6. What was Edith's reaction to the baby left at her house?
7. Describe Eden's physical appearance the summer she gave up being a tomboy.
8. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
9. What did Andrew observe about Eden when she was carried out on a stretcher the night her father was killed?
10. Who discovered Andrew's mother died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the way the author uses weather to enhance the action of the story. How does humid or hot weather heighten the mystery and conflict of the story? What weather does the author use to support Andrew's desire for a fresh start? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew and T.J's relationship. Why does Andrew feel awkward with T.J. when he sees him after his mother's funeral? How does the relationship become easier by the end of the novel? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the physical and emotional injuries Eden suffered from the shooting. What does Edith tell Andrew about Eden's mental state? Does Andrew believe that he can help Eden heal? How so? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)