|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sean arrested for in the summer before the shooting?
2. What kind of car did Jim always buy?
3. What does Andrew call Eden at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What does Eden say about Andrew's father at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What does Andrew offer to do at Edith's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sean react when Eden broke up with him?
2. How did Andy find out that Eden and Sean were a couple?
3. Describe the relationship between Andrew and Martha.
4. Why does Andrew return to his mother's house?
5. What did Andrew observe about Eden when she was carried out on a stretcher the night her father was killed?
6. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
7. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
8. What is Edith's reaction when Andrew knocks on her door and wants to visit Eden?
9. In what way did Edith react when the paramedics tried to get her to lie down on a stretcher after her husband was killed?
10. Why does Andrew leave the luncheonette so quickly and speed home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the clay sculptures in Eden's life. What kind of portraits does she sculpt? What does Andrew say about them when he finds them? Why did Edith buy her clay, but allow the sculptures to crumble? Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Andrew and T.J's relationship. Why does Andrew feel awkward with T.J. when he sees him after his mother's funeral? How does the relationship become easier by the end of the novel? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
How did Eden effectively transform herself into a tomboy so that she could join Andrew's circle of friends? What impressed Andrew, Sean and T.J. about Eden's inventiveness and stoicism? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)