|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Eden when she briefly became a tomboy?
2. What kind of business does Sean's father own?
3. What does Andrew call Eden at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What kind of car did Jim always buy?
5. What activity did Eden want to do with Andy, Sean and T.J. in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eden think she would die young?
2. Describe Edith Closes' appearance at Andrew's mother's funeral.
3. How did Jim and Edith care for Eden in different ways?
4. What did Andrew observe about Eden when she was carried out on a stretcher the night her father was killed?
5. How did Sean react when Eden broke up with him?
6. How does Andrew remember protecting his mother the night Jim was killed?
7. Why does Andrew return to his mother's house?
8. What does Andrew think T.J.'s motivation is for visiting him at his mother's house after her funeral?
9. What was Andrew's mother's reaction to Jim's excitement about the baby left at the Closes' home?
10. In what way was Andy confused by Eden's change in behavior on the first day of school when he was a senior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What important information does Andrew learn about his mother and father when he returns home? What particular personal items make him more aware of his parents' inner lives? How does this knowledge affect him? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eden's arrival at the Closes' and Jim and Edith's reaction. In what way did Edith pretend to want the baby for the sake of her relationship with her husband? What were the consequences of that pretense? Quote the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chief DeSalvo's role in the story, and analyze his attitude toward Andrew and Eden. Why does Andrew call him first before the police at the end of the novel? How does DeSalvo take charge of the situation? Provide specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)