|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Martha call Andrew in Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to tell him she is sending books.
(b) She has mail for him.
(c) He forgot to come by for Billy.
(d) She needs money.
2. Who says "I won't have a son?"
3. What is Eden wearing when she is in the kitchen waiting for Andrew after he buried the dog?
(a) White pants.
(b) Gray dress.
(c) Blue seersucker bathrobe.
(d) Khaki shorts.
4. What item does Andrew notice on top of the desk in Eden's bedroom?
(b) Photograph of Jim.
5. Where does T.J. say he has to go when he's helping Andrew fix up a house?
(a) His son's soccer game.
(b) To the bank for a loan.
(c) To a real estate closing.
(d) To show a house.
6. What does Andrew bring to Eden from the library?
(a) Books in braille.
7. What does T.J. call Andrew when they are talking about Edith being in a mental institution?
8. What is the central color of the decor in T.J.'s house?
9. What does Andrew apologize to T.J. for when they are fixing up Edith's house?
(a) Believing he knew who the intruder was.
(b) Thinking he had been the one to shoot Jim.
(c) Believing he was in love with Eden.
(d) For acting rudely at T.J.'s house.
10. What does T.J. feel about the new life Andrew is beginning?
11. What simile does the author use to describe Andrew's leap off the bed in Eden's bedroom?
(a) Like a madman.
(b) Like a gazelle.
(c) Like an athlete.
(d) Like a dancer.
12. When Andrew tells Eden that he wants her to come to New York City with him, what does Eden say?
(a) Let's go.
(b) Thank you for rescuing me.
(c) I can't leave.
(d) I'm afraid.
13. Why did Eden never say no to Jim?
(a) She didn't understand what was happening.
(b) She felt scared.
(c) It was what she had to offer him.
(d) She felt it was her fault.
14. What does Andrew say he is impatient to see at the end of the novel?
(a) His city apartment.
(b) Houses getting sold.
(c) Signs of Eden's pregnancy.
(d) His ex-wife.
15. Where does T.J. serve dinner when Andrew visits?
(a) T.V. trays in den.
(d) Dining room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did police look for a murder weapon, according to Andrew's farmer neighbor?
2. What image about Billy comes to Andrew's mind at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What is the weather like when Andrew goes for a walk the night he finds a dog in the road?
4. What does Edith say Eden will experience if Andrew continues to see her?
5. What month is it in the last chapter of the novel?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)