|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is a typical work week in Ecotopia?
2. What is the minicity that Weston tours that he visits a school in?
3. After a bitter political struggle, what were the black areas and Chinatown designated as within Ecotopia?
4. What do the segments that Weston sees at the factory resemble parts of?
5. What do people sometimes consume on break from work in Ecotopia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Ecotopia, Callenbach's fictional society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of Ecotopian technology? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? Do you find any of Callenbach's predictions strikingly accurate or appealing in any way? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Describe President Allwen. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the President's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Callenbach has a very different approach to work and employment. He describes the worker in Ecotopia as a partner. Describe the worker in Ecotopia. Do you think this is realistic? What kinds of companies would such a worker-partnerships relationship be viable and in what kinds of companies would it not? What do you think of the Ecotopian view of mixing work and play and of having only a 20-hour workweek? Discuss and describe.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)