|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are left to cover phones when people take breaks from work in Ecotopia?
2. What is Weston forced to conclude about the Ecotopian experiment in the last section of the book?
3. How does the Ecotopian worker work differently from others in business or jobs?
4. What surprises Weston about people taking breaks from work in Ecotopia?
5. What do students in Ecotopia enjoy that American students of similar subjects often do not have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Callenbach has a very different approach to work and employment. He describes the worker in Ecotopia as a partner. Describe the worker in Ecotopia. Do you think this is realistic? What kinds of companies would such a worker-partnerships relationship be viable and in what kinds of companies would it not? What do you think of the Ecotopian view of mixing work and play and of having only a 20-hour workweek? Discuss and describe.
Essay Topic 2
Create your own brand of Utopian fiction involving the Ecotopian minicity of Alviso. What scenario would you develop to show the characters' strengths and weaknesses? Who would the other characters be? Would your novel be one story or a series of vignettes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Callenbach is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least 3 references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also, add your opinion as to why Callenbach chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)