|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ecotopians shut down the system of oil and gas power plants, what did they set up instead?
2. What is the general maximum size of a business in Ecotopia?
3. What is unusual about many Ecotopian homes?
4. How are bathrooms added to houses?
5. What do the children do during their two hours of actual work at their school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ecotopia? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Callenbach has a very different approach to work and employment. He describes the worker in Ecotopia as a partner. Describe the worker in Ecotopia. Do you think this is realistic? What kinds of companies would such a worker-partnerships relationship be viable and in what kinds of companies would it not? What do you think of the Ecotopian view of mixing work and play and of having only a 20-hour workweek? Discuss and describe.
Essay Topic 3
Callenbach is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least 3 references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also, add your opinion as to why Callenbach chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)