|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of group organization do the children at the schools have, typically?
2. What are the houses that Weston sees NOT like?
3. What shocks Weston about violent crime sentences in Ecotopia?
4. How many people are left to cover phones when people take breaks from work in Ecotopia?
5. What does Weston feel about Ecotopian way of life as a whole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ecotopia? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. Callenbach refers to the politics of Ecotopians compared to that of Americans. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Callenbach incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Ecotopian education system. What do you think of their practice of sending children off on long wilderness trips? Do you think their education system is effective? Why or why not? What do you think is missing? Describe.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)