|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Weston's flight land?
2. What kind of a schedule do the children have at school in Ecotopia?
3. What does Weston notice that the streets of the minicity are full of?
4. What are the streets of the minicity surrounded by?
5. Who are a minority in Ecotopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the possibilities of investment in Ecotopia in businesses apart from the employee's.
2. Describe the Ecotopian lumber industry.
3. Describe what Weston learns at the extrusion factory.
4. Describe the streets of Alviso.
5. Describe Ecotopian hospitals.
6. What is the difference between Ecotopian and American plastics?
7. Describe health insurance in Ecotopia.
8. Describe the Ecotopian attitude towards degrees and certifications versus experience.
9. Describe the initial energy system that Ecotopia inherits.
10. What is Weston forced to conclude in the last section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Ecotopia, Callenbach's fictional society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of Ecotopian technology? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? Do you find any of Callenbach's predictions strikingly accurate or appealing in any way? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Ecotopia is a classic Utopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Callenbach is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least 3 references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also, add your opinion as to why Callenbach chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)