|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After observing the lumber mills, who does Weston mention meeting in his diary?
2. What kinds of climates can the wetsuit-like garment that Weston buys be used in?
3. Who does Weston meet on the train?
4. What was the minicity that Weston visits, prior to becoming a mini-city?
5. What is the method of thrill-seeking that Weston sees in Ecotopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe art in Ecotopia and its practice or expression.
2. Describe the incident that has Ecotopians glued to their television sets and how they respond.
3. Describe Ecotopian music and its practice.
4. Describe health insurance in Ecotopia.
5. Describe the recycling or biodegrading process of plastics in Ecotopia.
6. How do Ecotopians compare health-wise to Americans?
7. Describe the hikes children in Ecotopia go on as part of their education.
8. Describe the Ecotopian solar energy system.
9. Describe the Ecotopian worker's relationship to his employer and business.
10. Describe Ecotopian homes built from the extrusion factory.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Ecotopian approach to sports. What do you think of the war games? Are they ritualistic? How are they similar (or not) to American team sports? What do you find appealing or not about their sports? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Ecotopian education system. What do you think of their practice of sending children off on long wilderness trips? Do you think their education system is effective? Why or why not? What do you think is missing? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Describe President Allwen. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the President's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)