|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weston notice that the streets of the minicity are full of?
2. What does Weston think of the room he gets to sleep in at the beginning of the book?
3. What is the method of thrill-seeking that Weston sees in Ecotopia?
4. What city does Weston explore at the beginning of the book?
5. How do the Ecotopians take care of their business through video conferences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Weston's observations of marijuana and common social behavior in Ecotopia.
2. Describe the convenience of transportation in Alviso.
3. Describe broadcasting and television stations in Ecotopia.
4. Describe the Ecotopian production methods.
5. Describe living accommodations in San Francisco.
6. Describe the two popular methods of making plastics employed in Ecotopia.
7. Describe art in Ecotopia and its practice or expression.
8. What is surprising about the knowledge of a six-year-old child that Weston meets, and what does this say about the Ecotopian education system?
9. Describe the three-stage program that the Ecotopians have to lower population growth.
10. Describe a typical day for children at the Crick School in Reliez.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ecotopia is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve: visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic imagery. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this Utopian novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Ecotopia. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Ecotopia?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Weston. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 2,091 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)