|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the skyscrapers that Weston sees been converted into, in the city he explores?
2. What connects the skyscrapers that Weston sees in the city he explores?
3. What is unusual about the streets of the city that Weston explores?
4. What kind of factory does Weston explore in the minicity?
5. Where does most of the minicity's population live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the solid state food system of Ecotopia.
2. Describe the Ecotopian education system.
3. How do Ecotopians compare health-wise to Americans?
4. Describe the difference in duration of violent crime sentences in America as compared to Ecotopia.
5. Describe the children's groups at the Crick School.
6. Describe Ecotopian music and its practice.
7. Describe broadcasting and television stations in Ecotopia.
8. Describe the policy of work and play in Ecotopia.
9. What happens the day that Weston is supposed to leave Ecotopia?
10. Describe what Weston learns at the extrusion factory.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Weston. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of ecological awareness. Identify at least two motifs about ecology and nature in the book. Then, cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Sexuality is a recurring theme in Ecotopia. How do Weston's sexual mores change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality always connected to love for Weston? How do his feelings for Marissa develop and change, and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had a sexual relationship with? Describe.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)