|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Weston's employer?
2. How do most Ecotopians get around?
3. What do the people who meet Weston ask him to do?
4. What do the Ecotopians use that actually causes less damage to the ground than an ox and cart team?
5. What is the name of the presiding political party in Ecotopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference in duration of violent crime sentences in America as compared to Ecotopia.
2. Describe Weston's developing relationship with Marissa around the time of the Pacific incident.
3. Describe Weston and Marissa's interactions after they visit the extrusion factory and discuss their feelings.
4. Describe taxation in Ecotopia.
5. Describe Ecotopian homes built from the extrusion factory.
6. Describe living accommodations in San Francisco.
7. Describe the possibilities of investment in Ecotopia in businesses apart from the employee's.
8. Describe the recycling or biodegrading process of plastics in Ecotopia.
9. Describe Ecotopian television and its use.
10. Describe the conclusion of the book from the editor Max' point of view.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create your own brand of Utopian fiction involving the Ecotopian minicity of Alviso. What scenario would you develop to show the characters' strengths and weaknesses? Who would the other characters be? Would your novel be one story or a series of vignettes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Ecotopian approach to sports. What do you think of the war games? Are they ritualistic? How are they similar (or not) to American team sports? What do you find appealing or not about their sports? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ecotopia? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)