|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weston want to learn about from the person he meets?
2. What is the name of the new minicity that Weston visits?
3. What was the minicity that Weston visits, prior to becoming a mini-city?
4. What do Ecotopians think of travel for business?
5. What is cheaper in the long run than clear-cutting, according to Ecotopians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Weston's observations of marijuana and common social behavior in Ecotopia.
2. Describe the Ecotopian solar energy system.
3. Describe taxation in Ecotopia.
4. Describe the Ecotopian concept of sports.
5. Describe the reader's knowledge of Ecotopia when William Weston begins his journey.
6. Describe Ecotopian hospitals.
7. What is William Weston's assignment in Ecotopia?
8. Describe the policy of work and play in Ecotopia.
9. Describe the Ecotopian lumber industry.
10. What is the difference between Ecotopian and American plastics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Ecotopia, crime is handled and treated very differently. For example, marijuana is legalized while theft can receive a heavy sentence. How does this compare with the American legal system? Do you find the Ecotopian legal system appealing? What do you think of their prison system? Is it effective? Is this fair? Why or why not? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Ecotopia is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve: visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic imagery. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this Utopian novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Ecotopian education system. What do you think of their practice of sending children off on long wilderness trips? Do you think their education system is effective? Why or why not? What do you think is missing? Describe.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)