|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ecotopian sports revolve around?
2. What kinds of trolleys does Weston see in the city he explores?
3. How does Weston feel after meeting the people that he mentions in his diary?
4. What does Weston notice happens during the game?
5. Who does Weston get to talk to after the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe taxation in Ecotopia.
2. Describe what Weston learns from talking to the Assistant Minister.
3. Describe the possibilities of investment in Ecotopia in businesses apart from the employee's.
4. Describe the initial energy system that Ecotopia inherits.
5. Describe what Weston learns at the extrusion factory.
6. Describe the hikes children in Ecotopia go on as part of their education.
7. Describe Ecotopian war games.
8. Describe the Ecotopian production methods.
9. Describe Weston's observations of marijuana and common social behavior in Ecotopia.
10. Describe how Ecotopia initially deals with business owners and upper management fleeing the country soon after Independence.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Ecotopian approach to sports. What do you think of the war games? Are they ritualistic? How are they similar (or not) to American team sports? What do you find appealing or not about their sports? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
In Ecotopia, crime is handled and treated very differently. For example, marijuana is legalized while theft can receive a heavy sentence. How does this compare with the American legal system? Do you find the Ecotopian legal system appealing? What do you think of their prison system? Is it effective? Is this fair? Why or why not? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Ecotopia? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)