|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the two teams in the game Weston is allowed to watch face each other?
2. What are the streets of the minicity surrounded by?
3. Who does Weston meet on the train?
4. How does Weston feel after meeting the people that he mentions in his diary?
5. Who or what is the Ecotopian president?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bird suit that Weston likes and buys.
2. Describe Ecotopian television and its use.
3. Describe the possibilities of investment in Ecotopia in businesses apart from the employee's.
4. Describe taxation in Ecotopia.
5. Describe the Ecotopian concept of sports.
6. Describe living accommodations in San Francisco.
7. Describe the hikes children in Ecotopia go on as part of their education.
8. Describe the recycling or biodegrading process of plastics in Ecotopia.
9. What happens the day that Weston is supposed to leave Ecotopia?
10. Describe Weston's experience in the war game.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexuality is a recurring theme in Ecotopia. How do Weston's sexual mores change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality always connected to love for Weston? How do his feelings for Marissa develop and change, and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had a sexual relationship with? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Callenbach has a very different approach to work and employment. He describes the worker in Ecotopia as a partner. Describe the worker in Ecotopia. Do you think this is realistic? What kinds of companies would such a worker-partnerships relationship be viable and in what kinds of companies would it not? What do you think of the Ecotopian view of mixing work and play and of having only a 20-hour workweek? Discuss and describe.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Ecotopian education system. What do you think of their practice of sending children off on long wilderness trips? Do you think their education system is effective? Why or why not? What do you think is missing? Describe.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)