Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about most products made in Ecotopia?
2. What does Weston notice about the Ecotopian population as compared to the American population?
3. How do the two teams in the game Weston is allowed to watch face each other?
4. What does Weston notice about the water in the bay of the minicity?
5. What is different about the equipment Ecotopians use for games?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the primary difference between research in Ecotopia compared to that in America.
2. Describe Ecotopian war games.
3. Describe broadcasting and television stations in Ecotopia.
4. Describe the conclusion of the book from the editor Max' point of view.
5. Describe the hikes children in Ecotopia go on as part of their education.
6. Describe the children's groups at the Crick School.
7. Describe the convenience of transportation in Alviso.
8. Describe the Ecotopian lumber industry.
9. Describe Weston's interaction with the nurse, Linda.
10. Describe the possibilities of investment in Ecotopia in businesses apart from the employee's.
Essay Topic 1
In Ecotopia, crime is handled and treated very differently. For example, marijuana is legalized while theft can receive a heavy sentence. How does this compare with the American legal system? Do you find the Ecotopian legal system appealing? What do you think of their prison system? Is it effective? Is this fair? Why or why not? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Sexuality is a recurring theme in Ecotopia. How do Weston's sexual mores change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality always connected to love for Weston? How do his feelings for Marissa develop and change, and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had a sexual relationship with? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Compare "Ecotopia" with another of Callenbach's other books in the series. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)