|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was legalized that helped reduce population growth?
2. What kind of plastics are made at low cost with short lifespans in Ecotopia?
3. What was the minicity that Weston visits, prior to becoming a mini-city?
4. How do most Ecotopians get around?
5. Who does Weston get to talk to after the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Weston and Marissa's interactions after they visit the extrusion factory and discuss their feelings.
2. Describe home energy systems in Ecotopia.
3. Describe the Ecotopian method of mature tree cutting and Weston's observations.
4. What does Weston notice about the streets of San Francisco?
5. Describe the children's groups at the Crick School.
6. Describe broadcasting and television stations in Ecotopia.
7. Describe the three-stage program that the Ecotopians have to lower population growth.
8. Describe art in Ecotopia and its practice or expression.
9. Describe Ecotopian hospitals.
10. Describe the Ecotopian legal system.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare "Ecotopia" with another of Callenbach's other books in the series. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of ecological awareness. Identify at least two motifs about ecology and nature in the book. Then, cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Ecotopian approach to sports. What do you think of the war games? Are they ritualistic? How are they similar (or not) to American team sports? What do you find appealing or not about their sports? Describe.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)