|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weston buy in the city he explores?
2. Who does Weston meet to discuss the Ecotopian agricultural and food systems?
3. How are the streets of the minicity recognizable?
4. How long do many of the hikes that the children go on last?
5. What do all the plastics in Ecotopia do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conclusion of the book from the editor Max' point of view.
2. Describe Weston and Marissa's interactions after they visit the extrusion factory and discuss their feelings.
3. Describe the primary difference between research in Ecotopia compared to that in America.
4. Describe broadcasting and television stations in Ecotopia.
5. What is the difference between Ecotopian and American plastics?
6. Describe the Ecotopian legal system.
7. Describe the streets of Alviso.
8. Describe Weston's observations of marijuana and common social behavior in Ecotopia.
9. Describe the Ecotopian solar energy system.
10. Describe the bird suit that Weston likes and buys.
Essay Topic 1
Callenbach is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least 3 references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also, add your opinion as to why Callenbach chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Ecotopia. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in Ecotopia?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Ecotopian ethics? Explain.
This section contains 2,138 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)