|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weston write during his flight to Ecotopia?
2. What have the skyscrapers that Weston sees been converted into, in the city he explores?
3. Who does Weston meet on the train?
4. What city does Weston explore at the beginning of the book?
5. What do the people who meet Weston ask him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising about the knowledge of a six-year-old child that Weston meets, and what does this say about the Ecotopian education system?
2. Describe the Ecotopian production methods.
3. Describe Weston's travel to Ecotopia.
4. Describe the two popular methods of making plastics employed in Ecotopia.
5. Describe Ecotopian war games.
6. Describe the Ecotopian research into biology and botany.
7. Describe the Ecotopian worker's relationship to his employer and business.
8. Describe the Ecotopian education system.
9. Describe Weston and Marissa's interactions after they visit the extrusion factory and discuss their feelings.
10. Describe Weston's observations of marijuana and common social behavior in Ecotopia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of ecological awareness. Identify at least two motifs about ecology and nature in the book. Then, cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Ecotopia is a classic Utopian novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Ecotopian ethics? Explain.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)