|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ecotopia get a lot of its military weaponry from?
2. What do the Ecotopians use that actually causes less damage to the ground than an ox and cart team?
3. What does Weston notice about the water in the bay of the minicity?
4. What is used to haul the trees to the lumber mills?
5. What movement in Ecotopia wants to abandon plastics completely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the possibilities of investment in Ecotopia in businesses apart from the employee's.
2. Describe Ecotopian music and its practice.
3. What happens the day that Weston is supposed to leave Ecotopia?
4. How do Ecotopians compare health-wise to Americans?
5. Describe the incident that has Ecotopians glued to their television sets and how they respond.
6. Describe what Weston learns from talking to the Assistant Minister.
7. Describe Weston and Marissa's interactions after they visit the extrusion factory and discuss their feelings.
8. Describe Weston's travel to Ecotopia.
9. What happens to Weston when he sees himself in his old clothes?
10. Describe Weston's interaction with the nurse, Linda.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe President Allwen. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the President's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Ecotopian ethics? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Weston and Marissa are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Weston had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Marissa had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger, and why?
This section contains 2,146 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)