|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 20-25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Janisse was very small and used to hide from her mother in the junkyard, what remedy did her mother use in order to find her?
(a) She lured her with the promise of peaches.
(b) She called the sheriff to come search for Janisse among the junk.
(c) She waited until Janisse's father got home and sent him to find Janisse.
(d) She tied jingle bells onto Janisse's shoes.
2. Why did Janisse not worry when she did not have time to clean the makeshift chalkboard she and her brothers used to play school?
(a) Because she knew her brothers liked to clean the board off with the hose.
(b) Because she knew she could come back out after dinner and play by herself.
(c) Because she knew a thunderstorm would come soon and wash the board clean.
(d) Because she liked to start off the next lesson by punishing her brothers for some imagined misbehavior by making them clean the chalkboard.
3. When the author writes that Frank would often help "a family like the Joads" by feeding them or finding candy for their children when they stopped in to get a part to fix their broken-down car, what novel is she referencing?
(a) The Stranger by Albert Camus.
(b) One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
(c) The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
(d) The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
4. In Chapter 4, Built by Fire, what two natural elements does Janisse pit against one another in her personification-laden story?
(a) Humans and longleaf pines.
(b) Rivers and grasslands.
(c) Swamps and monsoons.
(d) Longleaf pines and lightning.
5. At what store did Beulah shop every Friday, rain or shine?
(b) Piggly Wiggly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Frank when Charlie first talked him into partnering with him in the wrecking yard business?
2. What did Frank use to plug the holes in the flat-bottomed boat?
3. Why did Dell stay home from the rafting trip when Steve and Janisse and Frank go?
4. In what year did Clyo finally succumb to her various maladies?
5. In what way was the Ray family different than everyone else in the Apostolic Church's congregation?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)