|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though she patiently and valiantly fought to bring Frank back to mental health, what happened to finally convince Lee Ada that Frank needed to check in to a mental hospital?
(a) Frank walked into town while naked.
(b) Frank cooked a rat and prepared to eat it for dinner.
(c) Frank lay in the yard for two days, refusing to get up.
(d) Frank locked her and the children in the back bedroom for hours, denying them food and water and murmuring to himself as he paced the house.
2. When Janisse tells her father repeatedly that she does not like her piano lessons, what does she say she would rather be doing?
(a) She would rather be helping her mother sew.
(b) She would rather be peeling potatoes.
(c) She would rather be learning how to fix cars.
(d) She would rather be outside.
3. How long did it take the family to travel to the nearest Apostolic Church, which was in the town of Brunswick?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(b) Ninety minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
4. Pun's oft-given piece of advice to his son was, "Don't take more on your heart than you can shake off your heels." How does Janisse feel about this lesson?
(a) She says that she has never learned it and hopes that she never does.
(b) She says that she has tried to live her life by it but has failed.
(c) She says that everyone in her family appears to have learned it except her, and she wishes she could learn it.
(d) She says that she does not know what it truly means.
5. What elements of the Borderlanders' lives led them to have migratory habits?
(a) The border between Scotland and England was often in turmoil due to wars over to whom the territories belonged.
(b) Their professions as shepherds required moving to new lands where the sheep could graze.
(c) Prejudices against them forced others to continually drive them out of the areas in which they had settled.
(d) The torrential rains in the area often flooded their homes, so they would move on to higher and drier ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business did Janisse's grandfather Charlie run with his wife Clyo until he got into a fistfight that destroyed the structure?
2. How did Janisse and her siblings get access to books which they knew would garner their father's disapproval?
3. What does Dell, Janisse's brother, claim to have seen men stealing from the junkyard in the middle of the night?
4. What traits does Janisse say are the two most elemental features of Frank's personality when she describes him in Chapter 7, Junkyard?
5. What breed was the dog that Frank treated with painkillers and saved after it had been hit by a car on the highway?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)