|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of bird was Clyde, the bird that Frank nursed back to health after finding it on the side of the highway with a broken leg and wing?
(a) A pigeon.
(b) A woodpecker.
(c) A robin.
(d) A heron.
2. What prompted Frank to buy out his father Charlie's share of the salvage business?
(a) Charlie wants to move to Florida to pick oranges for a living.
(b) Frank fights too often with Charlie, making the workplace too tense.
(c) Charlie cares only about living paycheck to paycheck, but Frank wants to do more than just survive.
(d) Frank discovers that Charlie has been siphoning money from the business into his own pockets.
3. What constituted Janisse's and her brothers' very favorite game within the junkyard?
(a) Chasing each other along the tops of salvaged cars.
(b) Pretending to be paramedics saving car accident victims.
(c) Making believe they were car salespeople.
(d) Playing church.
4. How often does Janisse say thunderstorms happened in the summer in their area of Georgia?
(b) At least three times a week.
(c) About once a month.
(d) Almost every summer afternoon.
5. At the hands of the tree farmers, the land was laid bare. What simile does Janisse use to describe its bare state?
(a) Bare as a blank sheet of paper.
(b) Bare as a sand dune.
(c) Bare as a vulture's pate.
(d) Bare as a possum's tail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janisse say the source of southern Georgia's majesty and sublimity used to come from before that source was destroyed?
2. When Janisse's parents tell the the children the stories of their births, where do they say Janisse was found?
3. How old was Frank when Charlie first talked him into partnering with him in the wrecking yard business?
4. In Chapter 10, Timber, Janisse writes that railroads were to pines what railroads were to buffalo. What does she state that railroads were to both pines and buffalo?
5. What game of pretend did Janisse and her brothers play inside the old school bus?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)