|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the vampire family in Anchorage refuse to help Carlisle about Seattle?
2. To what does Edward admit concerning Bella?
3. Why does Jacob go and change into human form?
4. Why is Jasper concerned that there will be no help from the vampires in Anchorage?
5. What do Edward and Jacob do as Bella goes to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon what does Bella insist when it's time for training and what is Edward's response?
2. Describe the fight with Victoria and the other vampire.
3. What does Bella realize about several situations going on at the moment and how do Bella and Alice feel about Bella's realization?
4. Why does Jacob have to warm Bella instead of Edward?
5. What happens between Jacob and Bella and how does Edward respond?
6. What makes Bella insecure about the idea of turning into a vampire?
7. Why does Bella cut herself intentionally?
8. What do Alice and Bella keep from Edward, and what is his response when they finally tell him?
9. How does Jacob hear about Bella and Edward's upcoming marriage and how does he react?
10. What does Bella say she wants to do with Edward and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
One day the lover of the dead vampire appeared in the area seeking revenge. Taha Aki transitioned into werewolf form for the first time in many years to fight the vampire. When it appeared Taha Aki would die, his third wife stabbed herself in the heart to distract the vampire long enough for Taha Aki and the other werewolves to take the advantage. From that time the descendants of Taha Aki have transitioned into werewolves as they entered manhood to protect the tribe from vampires. However, with the gradual disappearance of vampires, fewer and fewer werewolves appeared until there were none. However, the arrival of the Cullen family set off the genetic marker, creating the largest pack of Quileute werewolves since Taha Aki's time. The stories that Bella hears at the Quileute bonfire are important to the plot for several reasons. First, these stories tell the reader how the werewolves came to be in the first place. Second, these stories tell why the werewolves are the enemy of the vampires. Third, these stories reveal the legend of the third wife, a legend that will haunt Bella and will become a motivating factor later in the novel when Bella has to choose between life and the death of those she loves.
1. There are many legends in the real world as well as the fantasy world of Eclipse. What do you think are the basis for legends and do you think there is some truth in all legends? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think legends are important to all cultures? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. The third wife sacrifices herself to save her husband and yet it is his name which is remembered. Explain how what this might suggest about gender issues in the tribe and why you think as you do. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Eclipse? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Eclipse including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)