|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob give Bella?
2. Why do the werewolves come into the meadow where the vampires are?
3. What is significant about what Jacob gives Bella?
4. What does Jacob suggest in response to what Alice says?
5. What happens to Bella in the clearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon what does Bella insist when it's time for training and what is Edward's response?
2. What makes Bella insecure about the idea of turning into a vampire?
3. Why does Bella cut herself intentionally?
4. What vision does Alice have and what does Jacob suggest?
5. What does Jasper demonstrate and what do the werewolves do after Jasper is finished with his demonstrations?
6. Why do Jacob and Edward almost come to blows?
7. What does Jasper say about the first few years of being a vampire?
8. What does Bella say she wants to do with Edward and what is his response?
9. About what do Edward and Jacob talk?
10. What changes Jasper's actions as a vampire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Explain why you think Eclipse is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
One day the lover of the dead vampire appeared in the area seeking revenge. Taha Aki transitioned into werewolf form for the first time in many years to fight the vampire. When it appeared Taha Aki would die, his third wife stabbed herself in the heart to distract the vampire long enough for Taha Aki and the other werewolves to take the advantage. From that time the descendants of Taha Aki have transitioned into werewolves as they entered manhood to protect the tribe from vampires. However, with the gradual disappearance of vampires, fewer and fewer werewolves appeared until there were none. However, the arrival of the Cullen family set off the genetic marker, creating the largest pack of Quileute werewolves since Taha Aki's time. The stories that Bella hears at the Quileute bonfire are important to the plot for several reasons. First, these stories tell the reader how the werewolves came to be in the first place. Second, these stories tell why the werewolves are the enemy of the vampires. Third, these stories reveal the legend of the third wife, a legend that will haunt Bella and will become a motivating factor later in the novel when Bella has to choose between life and the death of those she loves.
1. There are many legends in the real world as well as the fantasy world of Eclipse. What do you think are the basis for legends and do you think there is some truth in all legends? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think legends are important to all cultures? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. The third wife sacrifices herself to save her husband and yet it is his name which is remembered. Explain how what this might suggest about gender issues in the tribe and why you think as you do. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)