|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jacob help warm up Bella?
2. Why is Bella happy about what her mother tells her?
3. What does Jacob say to Bella about her feelings?
4. How does Edward react to what Bella tells him after graduation?
5. Why does the person turn Jasper to a vampire?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what do Edward and Jacob talk?
2. What does Jasper demonstrate and what do the werewolves do after Jasper is finished with his demonstrations?
3. Why does Jacob have to warm Bella instead of Edward?
4. Why is Alice angry with Bella and how does Bella appease her?
5. What does Bella say she wants to do with Edward and what is his response?
6. Why does Bella cut herself intentionally?
7. What does Jacob do after Bella cuts herself and what does he argue with Bella about?
8. What message does Bella get from her mother and how does Bella react?
9. What do Alice and Bella keep from Edward, and what is his response when they finally tell him?
10. How does Jacob hear about Bella and Edward's upcoming marriage and how does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Eclipse? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Eclipse including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Explain why you think Eclipse is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Eclipse and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Eclipse is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)