|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the vampire family in Anchorage refuse to help Carlisle about Seattle?
2. What does Bella read about at home?
3. Of what does Edward assure Bella?
4. Why is Bella happy about what her mother tells her?
5. What does Jacob tell Bella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Carlisle ask for help in fighting the newborn army in Seattle and why do they say no?
2. Why does Jacob have to warm Bella instead of Edward?
3. What message does Bella get from her mother and how does Bella react?
4. Why does Bella cut herself intentionally?
5. What does Bella say she wants to do with Edward and what is his response?
6. What does Edward say about Bella becoming a vampire?
7. Why do Jacob and Edward almost come to blows?
8. What vision does Alice have and what does Jacob suggest?
9. What makes Bella insecure about the idea of turning into a vampire?
10. Describe the fight with Victoria and the other vampire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Eclipse help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Eclipse? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Eclipse to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)