|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Jasper suggest using Bella?
2. Why does Jacob cry out in pain?
3. What does Jacob threaten when he talks with Bella?
4. What happens when a storm hits during the night?
5. Why does the vampire family in Anchorage refuse to help Carlisle about Seattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what do Edward and Jacob talk?
2. What does Jasper demonstrate and what do the werewolves do after Jasper is finished with his demonstrations?
3. What surprises Bella about the werewolf pack and why does Jacob change back to human form?
4. What does Bella say she wants to do with Edward and what is his response?
5. What does Edward say about Bella becoming a vampire?
6. What happens between Jacob and Bella and how does Edward respond?
7. Why is Alice angry with Bella and how does Bella appease her?
8. Why does Jacob have to warm Bella instead of Edward?
9. What does Jasper say about the first few years of being a vampire?
10. Who does Carlisle ask for help in fighting the newborn army in Seattle and why do they say no?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Eclipse.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Eclipse. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Eclipse. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Eclipse help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Eclipse? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Eclipse to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Jacob tells Bella how in the legends of the werewolves the old ones used to talk about imprinting, how a werewolf would look at a woman and realize she was the one he was supposed to be with. Jacob says that they had always thought these were just legends, but imprinting happened to Sam shortly after he began to transition into a werewolf when he saw his girlfriend's cousin, Emily. This caused a rift between Sam and his previous girlfriend, Leah. This imprinting has also begun to happen to others of the werewolf pack. Jacob talks about how difficult this can be on some of the pack and how the others are able to read minds while they are in werewolf shape together, therefore they all know how the others are feeling. It is a difficult situation.
1. Do you think it is fair to someone to be subjected to imprinting for determining who they will love? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think fate would cause a person to fall in love with someone when they are already involved or married to someone else? Do you think Sam should have stayed with Leah? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. How would you feel if you could read the minds of the friends in your group and what difficulties do you think this would cause? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)