|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Alice and Bella try to keep from Edward during the graduation ceremonies?
2. What does Jacob give Bella?
3. What does Jasper do in the meadow?
4. What alibi does Alice create for Bella?
5. Who turns Jasper to a vampire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alice and Bella keep from Edward, and what is his response when they finally tell him?
2. Why does Bella cut herself intentionally?
3. Why is Alice angry with Bella and how does Bella appease her?
4. What does Jacob give Bella?
5. What does Jasper say about the first few years of being a vampire?
6. Describe the fight with Victoria and the other vampire.
7. Why do Jacob and Edward almost come to blows?
8. What does Bella realize about several situations going on at the moment and how do Bella and Alice feel about Bella's realization?
9. How does Jacob hear about Bella and Edward's upcoming marriage and how does he react?
10. What makes Bella insecure about the idea of turning into a vampire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Eclipse. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Eclipse help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Eclipse? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Eclipse to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the book more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephenie Meyer.
2. What in Meyer's background may have helped him in writing Eclipse? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)