|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bella allow Jacob to do?
2. What does Alice want to do for Bella?
3. How is Bella the next morning?
4. Where does Jacob carry Bella?
5. Where do Bella and Charlie go to have dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jacob and Edward almost come to blows?
2. What does Jasper demonstrate and what do the werewolves do after Jasper is finished with his demonstrations?
3. Upon what does Bella insist when it's time for training and what is Edward's response?
4. What does Jasper say about the first few years of being a vampire?
5. What does Jacob do after Bella cuts herself and what does he argue with Bella about?
6. Why does Jacob have to warm Bella instead of Edward?
7. What vision does Alice have and what does Jacob suggest?
8. What do Alice and Bella keep from Edward, and what is his response when they finally tell him?
9. Why is Alice angry with Bella and how does Bella appease her?
10. What do Bella and Edward discuss concerning the killing spree in Seattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with plans for a wedding. This gives the reader an idea of what will happen in the next installment of the series. The reader can anticipate the struggles the young couple will face in their decision to marry so young as well as some of the dangers that might lurk for them. Bella tries to exist in a world she does not fully understand with rules that do not allow for her to survive with so much knowledge of that world.
1. Discuss some of the struggles Bella and Edward might experience with Edward having been a vampire for so long and Bella will be new to that form of life. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the struggles that Bella and Edward might experience due to the difference in their age and experience of the world. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Bella should wait a few years to become a vampire so that she is older and, hopefully wiser and more experienced when she makes such a decision? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Eclipse. Questions that Meyer most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Meyer's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Meyer' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Meyer and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Bella and Jacob is one of great importance at this point in the novel. Jacob loves Bella and wants to spend time with her, but Edward is reluctant to allow his love to spend time with a group of werewolves who have vowed to kill him and his kind. To complicate things, it is clear to the reader that Jacob is in love with Bella. Bella, however, does not see Jacob this way and prefers to think of him as her best friend. Bella's own confusion in her feelings for Jacob only adds to the tension between Edward and Jacob because Edward clearly cannot trust that Bella will choose him in the end.
1. Do you think Edward is correct in his fear that werewolves might hurt Bella? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Is it possible that Edward is more jealous than fearful when it comes to Jacob and Bella? Why or why not might this be true? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the problems that might occur in a friendship where one of the friends is in love with the other but that type of love is not returned. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)