|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war did Jasper fight?
2. What happens to Bella in the clearing?
3. What will Edward not tell Bella?
4. To what does Edward agree?
5. Upon what does Bella insist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella cut herself intentionally?
2. What message does Bella get from her mother and how does Bella react?
3. What does Bella realize about several situations going on at the moment and how do Bella and Alice feel about Bella's realization?
4. What surprises Bella about the werewolf pack and why does Jacob change back to human form?
5. About what do Edward and Jacob talk?
6. What does Jacob do after Bella cuts herself and what does he argue with Bella about?
7. What makes Bella insecure about the idea of turning into a vampire?
8. Why do Jacob and Edward almost come to blows?
9. What changes Jasper's actions as a vampire?
10. Who does Carlisle ask for help in fighting the newborn army in Seattle and why do they say no?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Eclipse interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Jacob. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Bella. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Edward. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Eclipse, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Eclipse. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Eclipse belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)