|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alibi does Alice create for Bella?
2. Why does Edward take Bella to the clearing?
3. What happens when Bella hits Jacob?
4. Who wants to steal hunting grounds from other vampires?
5. To whom does Bella talk about the person's past?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob hear about Bella and Edward's upcoming marriage and how does he react?
2. What do Alice and Bella keep from Edward, and what is his response when they finally tell him?
3. What do Bella and Edward discuss concerning the killing spree in Seattle?
4. What happens between Jacob and Bella and how does Edward respond?
5. Why does Jacob have to warm Bella instead of Edward?
6. Upon what does Bella insist when it's time for training and what is Edward's response?
7. What does Jacob do after Bella cuts herself and what does he argue with Bella about?
8. What vision does Alice have and what does Jacob suggest?
9. Why is Alice angry with Bella and how does Bella appease her?
10. What does Jacob give Bella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One day the lover of the dead vampire appeared in the area seeking revenge. Taha Aki transitioned into werewolf form for the first time in many years to fight the vampire. When it appeared Taha Aki would die, his third wife stabbed herself in the heart to distract the vampire long enough for Taha Aki and the other werewolves to take the advantage. From that time the descendants of Taha Aki have transitioned into werewolves as they entered manhood to protect the tribe from vampires. However, with the gradual disappearance of vampires, fewer and fewer werewolves appeared until there were none. However, the arrival of the Cullen family set off the genetic marker, creating the largest pack of Quileute werewolves since Taha Aki's time. The stories that Bella hears at the Quileute bonfire are important to the plot for several reasons. First, these stories tell the reader how the werewolves came to be in the first place. Second, these stories tell why the werewolves are the enemy of the vampires. Third, these stories reveal the legend of the third wife, a legend that will haunt Bella and will become a motivating factor later in the novel when Bella has to choose between life and the death of those she loves.
1. There are many legends in the real world as well as the fantasy world of Eclipse. What do you think are the basis for legends and do you think there is some truth in all legends? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think legends are important to all cultures? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. The third wife sacrifices herself to save her husband and yet it is his name which is remembered. Explain how what this might suggest about gender issues in the tribe and why you think as you do. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Eclipse, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Eclipse. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with plans for a wedding. This gives the reader an idea of what will happen in the next installment of the series. The reader can anticipate the struggles the young couple will face in their decision to marry so young as well as some of the dangers that might lurk for them. Bella tries to exist in a world she does not fully understand with rules that do not allow for her to survive with so much knowledge of that world.
1. Discuss some of the struggles Bella and Edward might experience with Edward having been a vampire for so long and Bella will be new to that form of life. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the struggles that Bella and Edward might experience due to the difference in their age and experience of the world. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Bella should wait a few years to become a vampire so that she is older and, hopefully wiser and more experienced when she makes such a decision? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)