|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alice angry with Bella?
2. Why does Jacob cry out in pain?
3. What does Jacob give Bella?
4. To whom does Bella talk about the person's past?
5. What makes Alice and Bella begin to feel fearful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jasper demonstrate and what do the werewolves do after Jasper is finished with his demonstrations?
2. Who does Carlisle ask for help in fighting the newborn army in Seattle and why do they say no?
3. What changes Jasper's actions as a vampire?
4. Upon what does Bella insist when it's time for training and what is Edward's response?
5. Describe the fight with Victoria and the other vampire.
6. What does Jasper say about the first few years of being a vampire?
7. Why do Jacob and Edward almost come to blows?
8. What does Jacob do after Bella cuts herself and what does he argue with Bella about?
9. What do Alice and Bella keep from Edward, and what is his response when they finally tell him?
10. Why does Jacob have to warm Bella instead of Edward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with plans for a wedding. This gives the reader an idea of what will happen in the next installment of the series. The reader can anticipate the struggles the young couple will face in their decision to marry so young as well as some of the dangers that might lurk for them. Bella tries to exist in a world she does not fully understand with rules that do not allow for her to survive with so much knowledge of that world.
1. Discuss some of the struggles Bella and Edward might experience with Edward having been a vampire for so long and Bella will be new to that form of life. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the struggles that Bella and Edward might experience due to the difference in their age and experience of the world. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Bella should wait a few years to become a vampire so that she is older and, hopefully wiser and more experienced when she makes such a decision? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Eclipse help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Eclipse? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Eclipse to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)