|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Edward and Jacob do as Bella goes to sleep?
2. Why does Jacob think he should carry Bella to a safe place?
3. What does Jacob threaten when he talks with Bella?
4. What does Edward give Bella for her charm bracelet?
5. What does Edward do to Victoria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight with Victoria and the other vampire.
2. About what do Edward and Jacob talk?
3. What does Bella realize about several situations going on at the moment and how do Bella and Alice feel about Bella's realization?
4. What happens between Jacob and Bella and how does Edward respond?
5. Why do Jacob and Edward almost come to blows?
6. What surprises Bella about the werewolf pack and why does Jacob change back to human form?
7. What vision does Alice have and what does Jacob suggest?
8. What does Edward say about Bella becoming a vampire?
9. What do Alice and Bella keep from Edward, and what is his response when they finally tell him?
10. Why is Alice angry with Bella and how does Bella appease her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Bella and Jacob is one of great importance at this point in the novel. Jacob loves Bella and wants to spend time with her, but Edward is reluctant to allow his love to spend time with a group of werewolves who have vowed to kill him and his kind. To complicate things, it is clear to the reader that Jacob is in love with Bella. Bella, however, does not see Jacob this way and prefers to think of him as her best friend. Bella's own confusion in her feelings for Jacob only adds to the tension between Edward and Jacob because Edward clearly cannot trust that Bella will choose him in the end.
1. Do you think Edward is correct in his fear that werewolves might hurt Bella? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Is it possible that Edward is more jealous than fearful when it comes to Jacob and Bella? Why or why not might this be true? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the problems that might occur in a friendship where one of the friends is in love with the other but that type of love is not returned. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Eclipse, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Eclipse. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Edward and Jacob. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Bella and Jacob. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Eclipse help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)