|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bella leave work?
2. Why does Edward's family rule out their first thoughts?
3. What does Charlie want Bella to do concerning college?
4. Jacob explains to Bella about __________________.
5. Whose quick thinking saves the werewolves from having a problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
2. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
3. What is the main point made in the preface?
4. What does Charlie tell Bella regarding her restrictions?
5. What does Edward encourage Bella to do and why does he encourage her to do so?
6. What does Jacob tell Bella about imprinting?
7. Why is Bella able to reach La Push before Alice "sees" her doing so?
8. What does Bella learn concerning Edward's motive for taking her out of town that weekend?
9. Where does Bella go after talking with Jacob and who shadows her?
10. About what does Edward confront Bella and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Eclipse. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Eclipse and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Eclipse is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)