|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the elders share after the meal?
2. Where do Bella and Jacob go?
3. What happens when Jacob cuts his hand?
4. What is it about Jacob that concerns Edward?
5. About what does Edward try to appear nonchalant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edward do with the two vampire bodies and about what does he worry concerning Bella?
2. What makes Bella insecure about the idea of turning into a vampire?
3. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
4. What does Old Quil say about the first vampires?
5. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
6. Who do Edward and Bella find in the meadow and what are the two told?
7. What is the main point made in the preface?
8. About what does Jacob argue with Leah and why does he become emotionally upset?
9. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
10. Where does Bella go when Edward is hunting and why doesn't she stay?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Eclipse. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Eclipse and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Eclipse is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Eclipse interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Jacob. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Bella. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Edward. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 3,486 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)