Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bella and Jacob go?
2. Why do werewolves transform?
3. What does the principal have to do?
4. What does Bella's mother talk about that causes Bella discomfort?
5. What causes a rift between Sam and Leah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob say is difficult for some of the pack?
2. What does Bella say she wants to do with Edward and what is his response?
3. What is the story of Taha Aki?
4. What is the main point made in the preface?
5. What does Edward say about Bella becoming a vampire?
6. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
7. Describe the fight with Victoria and the other vampire.
8. What does Jasper demonstrate and what do the werewolves do after Jasper is finished with his demonstrations?
9. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
10. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Eclipse. Questions that Meyer most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Meyer's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Meyer' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Meyer and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Eclipse. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Bella and Jacob is one of great importance at this point in the novel. Jacob loves Bella and wants to spend time with her, but Edward is reluctant to allow his love to spend time with a group of werewolves who have vowed to kill him and his kind. To complicate things, it is clear to the reader that Jacob is in love with Bella. Bella, however, does not see Jacob this way and prefers to think of him as her best friend. Bella's own confusion in her feelings for Jacob only adds to the tension between Edward and Jacob because Edward clearly cannot trust that Bella will choose him in the end.
1. Do you think Edward is correct in his fear that werewolves might hurt Bella? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Is it possible that Edward is more jealous than fearful when it comes to Jacob and Bella? Why or why not might this be true? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the problems that might occur in a friendship where one of the friends is in love with the other but that type of love is not returned. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)