|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie try to talk to Bella about later that night?
2. What sometimes happens when a werewolf looks at a woman just as he is transitioning into a werewolf?
3. How do the werewolves communicate how they are feeling to their pack members when in werewolf form?
4. What does Bella receive from Jacob?
5. What can the wolves do when they are in werewolf form together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
2. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
3. Describe the discussion between Bella and Jacob when they return to the beach.
4. What does Old Quil say about the first vampires?
5. What does Bella learn concerning Edward's motive for taking her out of town that weekend?
6. What is the main point made in the preface?
7. What does Rosalie tell Bella about concerning becoming a vampire?
8. How does Jacob respond when Bella tells him about the intruder?
9. What does Bella plan to do at school that day, and what happens to Alice?
10. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Eclipse, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Eclipse. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Eclipse. Questions that Meyer most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Meyer's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Meyer' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Meyer and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Jacob tells Bella how in the legends of the werewolves the old ones used to talk about imprinting, how a werewolf would look at a woman and realize she was the one he was supposed to be with. Jacob says that they had always thought these were just legends, but imprinting happened to Sam shortly after he began to transition into a werewolf when he saw his girlfriend's cousin, Emily. This caused a rift between Sam and his previous girlfriend, Leah. This imprinting has also begun to happen to others of the werewolf pack. Jacob talks about how difficult this can be on some of the pack and how the others are able to read minds while they are in werewolf shape together, therefore they all know how the others are feeling. It is a difficult situation.
1. Do you think it is fair to someone to be subjected to imprinting for determining who they will love? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think fate would cause a person to fall in love with someone when they are already involved or married to someone else? Do you think Sam should have stayed with Leah? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. How would you feel if you could read the minds of the friends in your group and what difficulties do you think this would cause? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)