|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jacob take Bella?
2. Why is Alice unable to "see" where Bella is going?
3. What has been difficult for members of the werewolf pack?
4. What is it about Jacob that concerns Edward?
5. What does Bella discover when she returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
2. What do Charlie and Bella do that evening and what is the outcome?
3. How does Jacob respond when Bella tells him about the intruder?
4. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
5. What is the story of Taha Aki?
6. What does Bella plan to do at school that day, and what happens to Alice?
7. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
8. What is the main point made in the preface?
9. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
10. Why does Bella enjoy her time with Angela and what does Angela say about the tension between Edward and Jacob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Bella and Jacob is one of great importance at this point in the novel. Jacob loves Bella and wants to spend time with her, but Edward is reluctant to allow his love to spend time with a group of werewolves who have vowed to kill him and his kind. To complicate things, it is clear to the reader that Jacob is in love with Bella. Bella, however, does not see Jacob this way and prefers to think of him as her best friend. Bella's own confusion in her feelings for Jacob only adds to the tension between Edward and Jacob because Edward clearly cannot trust that Bella will choose him in the end.
1. Do you think Edward is correct in his fear that werewolves might hurt Bella? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Is it possible that Edward is more jealous than fearful when it comes to Jacob and Bella? Why or why not might this be true? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the problems that might occur in a friendship where one of the friends is in love with the other but that type of love is not returned. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Eclipse.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Eclipse. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Eclipse. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)