Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Bella and Jacob go?
2. Why do werewolves transform?
3. What does the principal have to do?
4. What does Bella's mother talk about that causes Bella discomfort?
5. What causes a rift between Sam and Leah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jacob say is difficult for some of the pack?
2. What does Bella say she wants to do with Edward and what is his response?
3. What is the story of Taha Aki?
4. What is the main point made in the preface?
5. What does Edward say about Bella becoming a vampire?
6. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
7. Describe the fight with Victoria and the other vampire.
8. What does Jasper demonstrate and what do the werewolves do after Jasper is finished with his demonstrations?
9. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
10. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Explain why you think Eclipse is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Edward and Jacob. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Bella and Jacob. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Eclipse help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Eclipse and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Eclipse is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)