|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bella think Edward will be angry?
2. What has been difficult for members of the werewolf pack?
3. Where does Jacob want Bella to visit him?
4. What is the outcome of what Charlie tries to do?
5. Why does Jacob want to talk with Edward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bella learn concerning Edward's motive for taking her out of town that weekend?
2. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
3. Why is Bella able to reach La Push before Alice "sees" her doing so?
4. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
5. What does Jacob say is difficult for some of the pack?
6. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
7. About what does Edward confront Bella and what is her response?
8. Why does Bella enjoy her time with Angela and what does Angela say about the tension between Edward and Jacob?
9. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
10. Describe the discussion between Bella and Jacob when they return to the beach.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Bella and Jacob is one of great importance at this point in the novel. Jacob loves Bella and wants to spend time with her, but Edward is reluctant to allow his love to spend time with a group of werewolves who have vowed to kill him and his kind. To complicate things, it is clear to the reader that Jacob is in love with Bella. Bella, however, does not see Jacob this way and prefers to think of him as her best friend. Bella's own confusion in her feelings for Jacob only adds to the tension between Edward and Jacob because Edward clearly cannot trust that Bella will choose him in the end.
1. Do you think Edward is correct in his fear that werewolves might hurt Bella? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Is it possible that Edward is more jealous than fearful when it comes to Jacob and Bella? Why or why not might this be true? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the problems that might occur in a friendship where one of the friends is in love with the other but that type of love is not returned. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)