|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rosalie say Carlisle made her a vampire?
2. Jacob explains to Bella about __________________.
3. Who is Leah?
4. About what does Edward try to appear nonchalant?
5. What does Bella discover when she returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
2. Where do Bella and Jacob go and what do they discuss?
3. How does Jacob respond when Bella tells him about the intruder?
4. What does Carlisle the previous weekend?
5. What irritates Jacob when he is over at Bella's house?
6. What do Charlie and Bella do that evening and what is the outcome?
7. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
8. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
9. What does Old Quil say about the first vampires?
10. Where does Bella go after talking with Jacob and who shadows her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Eclipse. Questions that Meyer most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of Meyer's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Meyer' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Meyer and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Jacob tells Bella how in the legends of the werewolves the old ones used to talk about imprinting, how a werewolf would look at a woman and realize she was the one he was supposed to be with. Jacob says that they had always thought these were just legends, but imprinting happened to Sam shortly after he began to transition into a werewolf when he saw his girlfriend's cousin, Emily. This caused a rift between Sam and his previous girlfriend, Leah. This imprinting has also begun to happen to others of the werewolf pack. Jacob talks about how difficult this can be on some of the pack and how the others are able to read minds while they are in werewolf shape together, therefore they all know how the others are feeling. It is a difficult situation.
1. Do you think it is fair to someone to be subjected to imprinting for determining who they will love? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think fate would cause a person to fall in love with someone when they are already involved or married to someone else? Do you think Sam should have stayed with Leah? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. How would you feel if you could read the minds of the friends in your group and what difficulties do you think this would cause? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Eclipse.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Eclipse. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Eclipse. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)