|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the principal have to do?
2. Over what do Edward and Bella disagree that night?
3. What do one of the Cullens do when they are chasing Victoria?
4. What causes a rift between Sam and Leah?
5. To what college has Bella been accepted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosalie tell Bella about concerning becoming a vampire?
2. What is the main point made in the preface?
3. What does Bella plan to do at school that day, and what happens to Alice?
4. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
5. Where does Bella go when Edward is hunting and why doesn't she stay?
6. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
7. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
8. What does Bella learn concerning Edward's motive for taking her out of town that weekend?
9. What is the story of Taha Aki?
10. About what does Edward confront Bella and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with plans for a wedding. This gives the reader an idea of what will happen in the next installment of the series. The reader can anticipate the struggles the young couple will face in their decision to marry so young as well as some of the dangers that might lurk for them. Bella tries to exist in a world she does not fully understand with rules that do not allow for her to survive with so much knowledge of that world.
1. Discuss some of the struggles Bella and Edward might experience with Edward having been a vampire for so long and Bella will be new to that form of life. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the struggles that Bella and Edward might experience due to the difference in their age and experience of the world. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Bella should wait a few years to become a vampire so that she is older and, hopefully wiser and more experienced when she makes such a decision? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Eclipse, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Eclipse. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)