|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Leah?
2. What happens to Alice during lunch?
3. What was Edward's motive for taking Bella out of town over the weekend?
4. What is discussed in werewolf legends of old?
5. What is happening where Jacob takes Bella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosalie tell Bella about concerning becoming a vampire?
2. Why is Bella able to reach La Push before Alice "sees" her doing so?
3. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
4. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
5. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
6. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
7. Describe the discussion between Bella and Jacob when they return to the beach.
8. Where does Bella go after talking with Jacob and who shadows her?
9. What is the main point made in the preface?
10. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Eclipse based upon the criteria you decide upon for a novel to be successful and judge if Eclipse is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Eclipse a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Eclipse help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Eclipse? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Eclipse to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)