|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Edward's motive for taking Bella out of town over the weekend?
2. What does Charlie try to talk to Bella about later that night?
3. What do the elders share after the meal?
4. What happened to Sam as he began to change into a werewolf?
5. What does Jacob say he has not yet done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Old Quil say about the first vampires?
2. Where does Bella go when Edward is hunting and why doesn't she stay?
3. What is the main point made in the preface?
4. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
5. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
6. What does Jacob tell Bella about imprinting?
7. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
8. What do Charlie and Bella do that evening and what is the outcome?
9. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
10. About what does Edward confront Bella and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Eclipse based upon the criteria you decide upon for a novel to be successful and judge if Eclipse is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Eclipse a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Eclipse? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Eclipse including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Eclipse. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)