|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela suggest might be the reason for the tension between Edward and Jacob?
2. What do the werewolves do to the first vampire they kill?
3. What does Jacob do over at Bella's house?
4. What was Edward's motive for taking Bella out of town over the weekend?
5. Why does Edward's family rule out their first thoughts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Charlie and Bella do that evening and what is the outcome?
2. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
3. What does Bella learn concerning Edward's motive for taking her out of town that weekend?
4. What does Jacob say is difficult for some of the pack?
5. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
6. What is the main point made in the preface?
7. What is the story of Taha Aki?
8. What does Jacob tell Bella about imprinting?
9. Where do Bella and Jacob go and what do they discuss?
10. What does Edward encourage Bella to do and why does he encourage her to do so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with plans for a wedding. This gives the reader an idea of what will happen in the next installment of the series. The reader can anticipate the struggles the young couple will face in their decision to marry so young as well as some of the dangers that might lurk for them. Bella tries to exist in a world she does not fully understand with rules that do not allow for her to survive with so much knowledge of that world.
1. Discuss some of the struggles Bella and Edward might experience with Edward having been a vampire for so long and Bella will be new to that form of life. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the struggles that Bella and Edward might experience due to the difference in their age and experience of the world. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think Bella should wait a few years to become a vampire so that she is older and, hopefully wiser and more experienced when she makes such a decision? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Eclipse. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)