|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do one of the Cullens do when they are chasing Victoria?
2. About what does Edward confront Bella?
3. What does Bella discover that Edward has purchased?
4. To what college does Edward want Bella to apply?
5. What causes a rift between Sam and Leah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
2. What does Edward encourage Bella to do and why does he encourage her to do so?
3. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
4. What do Charlie and Bella do that evening and what is the outcome?
5. What does Carlisle the previous weekend?
6. About what does Edward confront Bella and what is her response?
7. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
8. Describe the discussion between Bella and Jacob when they return to the beach.
9. Where does Bella go when Edward is hunting and why doesn't she stay?
10. What is the story of Taha Aki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eclipse belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Eclipse based upon the criteria you decide upon for a novel to be successful and judge if Eclipse is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Eclipse a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)