|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Bella in the middle of the night?
2. To what does Bella compare herself concerning the feud between the vampires and werewolves?
3. What does the principal have to do?
4. What is discussed in werewolf legends of old?
5. Where does Bella go on her motorcycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Taha Aki?
2. What do Charlie and Bella do that evening and what is the outcome?
3. What does Rosalie tell Bella about concerning becoming a vampire?
4. What does Jacob tell Bella about imprinting?
5. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
6. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
7. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
8. What does Bella plan to do at school that day, and what happens to Alice?
9. Where does Bella go after talking with Jacob and who shadows her?
10. What does Bella learn concerning Edward's motive for taking her out of town that weekend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Eclipse belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Eclipse.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Eclipse. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Eclipse. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)