|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Edward's family think is responsible for what Edward noticed in Bella's home?
2. What might have happened without that quick thinking?
3. What does Bella receive from Jacob?
4. To what college has Bella been accepted?
5. What does Charlie want Bella to do concerning college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Edward want to take Bella and who thinks it is a good idea at first?
2. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
3. Describe the discussion between Bella and Jacob when they return to the beach.
4. What irritates Jacob when he is over at Bella's house?
5. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
6. Why is Bella able to reach La Push before Alice "sees" her doing so?
7. Where do Bella and Jacob go and what do they discuss?
8. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
9. What does Old Quil say about the first vampires?
10. What does Jacob tell Bella about imprinting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Eclipse help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Eclipse? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Eclipse to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)