|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do werewolves transform?
2. What does the principal have to do?
3. What does Edward notice in Bella's home when he comes over?
4. What do the elders share after the meal?
5. Why does Bella leave work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the discussion between Bella and Jacob when they return to the beach.
2. What does Jacob tell Bella about imprinting?
3. What irritates Jacob when he is over at Bella's house?
4. Where does Bella go after talking with Jacob and who shadows her?
5. Where does Bella go when Edward is hunting and why doesn't she stay?
6. What does Rosalie tell Bella about concerning becoming a vampire?
7. What college has Bella just been accepted to and what does Bella see the purpose of college is?
8. What is the story of Taha Aki?
9. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
10. Why does Bella enjoy her time with Angela and what does Angela say about the tension between Edward and Jacob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Eclipse, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Eclipse. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Eclipse and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Eclipse is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Eclipse. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)