|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what college has Bella been accepted?
2. Where does Jacob want Bella to visit him?
3. Where do Bella and Jacob go?
4. To what does Bella compare herself concerning the feud between the vampires and werewolves?
5. What does Bella's mother talk about that causes Bella discomfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Edward confront Bella and what is her response?
2. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
3. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
4. What do Charlie and Bella do that evening and what is the outcome?
5. What does Bella discover when she returns home from the Cullens the next morning and what does Edward think?
6. What does Bella plan to do at school that day, and what happens to Alice?
7. Where do Bella and Jacob go and what do they discuss?
8. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
9. What is the main point made in the preface?
10. What is the story of Taha Aki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Eclipse. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Eclipse. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Eclipse. Consider love between two species such as vampire and human or werewolf and human as well as the differences between the love in the Cullen family, Jacob's family and human families.
Essay Topic 2
One day the lover of the dead vampire appeared in the area seeking revenge. Taha Aki transitioned into werewolf form for the first time in many years to fight the vampire. When it appeared Taha Aki would die, his third wife stabbed herself in the heart to distract the vampire long enough for Taha Aki and the other werewolves to take the advantage. From that time the descendants of Taha Aki have transitioned into werewolves as they entered manhood to protect the tribe from vampires. However, with the gradual disappearance of vampires, fewer and fewer werewolves appeared until there were none. However, the arrival of the Cullen family set off the genetic marker, creating the largest pack of Quileute werewolves since Taha Aki's time. The stories that Bella hears at the Quileute bonfire are important to the plot for several reasons. First, these stories tell the reader how the werewolves came to be in the first place. Second, these stories tell why the werewolves are the enemy of the vampires. Third, these stories reveal the legend of the third wife, a legend that will haunt Bella and will become a motivating factor later in the novel when Bella has to choose between life and the death of those she loves.
1. There are many legends in the real world as well as the fantasy world of Eclipse. What do you think are the basis for legends and do you think there is some truth in all legends? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think legends are important to all cultures? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. The third wife sacrifices herself to save her husband and yet it is his name which is remembered. Explain how what this might suggest about gender issues in the tribe and why you think as you do. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Bella and Jacob is one of great importance at this point in the novel. Jacob loves Bella and wants to spend time with her, but Edward is reluctant to allow his love to spend time with a group of werewolves who have vowed to kill him and his kind. To complicate things, it is clear to the reader that Jacob is in love with Bella. Bella, however, does not see Jacob this way and prefers to think of him as her best friend. Bella's own confusion in her feelings for Jacob only adds to the tension between Edward and Jacob because Edward clearly cannot trust that Bella will choose him in the end.
1. Do you think Edward is correct in his fear that werewolves might hurt Bella? Why or why not? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
2. Is it possible that Edward is more jealous than fearful when it comes to Jacob and Bella? Why or why not might this be true? Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss the problems that might occur in a friendship where one of the friends is in love with the other but that type of love is not returned. Use examples from Eclipse and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)