|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of what Charlie tries to do?
2. Over what do Edward and Bella disagree that night?
3. Where do Bella and Jacob go?
4. Why doesn't Bella go to visit Jacob?
5. Where does Jacob take Bella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bella enjoy her time with Angela and what does Angela say about the tension between Edward and Jacob?
2. Describe the discussion that happens in the Cullen household when Edward takes Bella there after he has inspected her house.
3. Why does Bella decide not to visit Jacob?
4. About what does Edward confront Bella and what is her response?
5. What does Bella learn concerning Edward's motive for taking her out of town that weekend?
6. What does Old Quil say about the first vampires?
7. What does Rosalie tell Bella about concerning becoming a vampire?
8. What does Carlisle the previous weekend?
9. Where does Bella go after being with Jacob and how does Edward surprise her?
10. Why is Bella angry with Jacob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Eclipse based upon the criteria you decide upon for a novel to be successful and judge if Eclipse is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Eclipse a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Eclipse help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Eclipse? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Eclipse to discuss and compare one character's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eclipse is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)