|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Three, Chapter 12, how long until Mr. Yamamoto's son will come to sign papers?
2. In Part Three, Chapter 16, where is Mr. Yamamoto?
3. In Part Three, Chapter 6, how long has the Yamamoto family owned the farm where Ivy's father will work?
4. How was Mrs. Sturbridge when she married a violinist?
5. In Part Two, Chapter 19, how many boys and girls have enrolled in harmonica classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Frankie been doing and what does he want to do to please Mrs. Sturbridge in Part Two, Chapter 14?
2. In Part Four, Chapter 3, what does Ivy remember about her brother Fernando?
3. In Part Two, Chapter 22, what does Mr. Hoxie say to Mike after his audition in front of the jury?
4. In Part Two, Chapter 18, what does Mike see and hear when he goes back to the Sturbridge house?
5. What is the Ward house like?
6. In Part Three, Chapter 4, what does the house and grounds look like where Ivy and her family are moving?
7. In Part Four, Chapter 1, what does Friedrich relate about what happened to his sister Elisabeth?
8. In Part Three, Chapter 19, what does Ivy reveal is in the secret room at the Yamamoto house?
9. In Part Four, Chapter 1, where has Friedrich traveled?
10. In Part Two, Chapter 13, how is Mr. Potter's harmonica playing described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Sturbridge does not want Mike or Frankie when they are brought to her house. Why does her opinion about the boys change and what brings about the change in her opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Hitler’s purity laws and the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany are discussed in Part One of the novel. What does the author convey about racial discrimination through Part One of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Both Ivy’s family and the Yamamotos experience prejudice. What prejudices do the families experience and how is the discrimination they face related to their ethnic heritage?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)