|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Three, Chapter 2, how many acres will Ivy's father be in charge of at their new place?
2. During the war, where did Elisabeth care for patients?
3. At the beginning of Part Two, Chapter 19, how long has Mrs. Sturbridge been in her room?
4. In Part Four, Chapter 1, what does Friedrich remember saving him from being dragged off by Eiffel and Faber when he was on the train to Dachau.
5. How was Mrs. Sturbridge when she married a violinist?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter 19, what changes has Mike noticed since his talk with Mrs. Sturbridge?
2. Why did Mike give up the harmonica?
3. What has Frankie been doing and what does he want to do to please Mrs. Sturbridge in Part Two, Chapter 14?
4. In Part Four, Chapter 1, where has Friedrich traveled?
5. In Part Four, Chapter 2, what does Mike remember happened after he fell from the tree up until present day?
6. In Part Three, Chapter 16, what do Ivy and Victor find at the Yamamoto house?
7. What does Ivy's father tell her about the owner of the farm he will be managing and his payment for being manager?
8. In Part Three, Chapter 19, what does Ivy reveal is in the secret room at the Yamamoto house?
9. How does Mike practice for the harmonica competition in Part Two, Chapter 20?
10. How are itinerant children who are members of the harmonica band taken care of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The midwife in the untitled first section of the novel proclaims a prophecy when she leaves each of the princesses with the witch. How does the prophecy apply to Otto, Friedrich, Mike, and Ivy as well as the princesses?
Essay Topic 2
Friedrich is bullied at school. What is Friedrich’s father’s response to the bullying that his son faces, and how does his response affect Friedrich’s life?
Essay Topic 3
The midwife tells each princess that her fate is not sealed when she takes each one to the forest. What does the midwife’s prophecy imply about fate and destiny as the prophecy is uttered and as it is fulfilled?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)