|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part Two, Chapter 19, how long has Mrs. Sturbridge been in her room?
2. In Part Four, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the day Friedrich took the train to Dachau?
3. In Part Three, Chapter 11, how long will Susan and her mother be at her grandmother's?
4. In Part Three, Chapter 15, what does Ivy play while she waits for Susan at the wagon?
5. Where did Elisabeth work after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Three, Chapter 4, what does the house and grounds look like where Ivy and her family are moving?
2. In Part Four, Chapter 1, what does Friedrich relate about what happened to his sister Elisabeth?
3. How did Mrs. Sturbridge's son die?
4. In Part Two, Chapter 18, what does Mike see and hear when he goes back to the Sturbridge house?
5. How are itinerant children who are members of the harmonica band taken care of?
6. In Part Three, Chapter 1, why is Ivy excited?
7. What does Susan tell Ivy about the meaning of "Auld Lang Syne" in Part Three, Chapter 15?
8. Why did Mike give up the harmonica?
9. In Part Three, Chapter 18, how is Ivy able to explore the secret room at the Yamamoto house?
10. In Part Two, Chapter 22, what does Mr. Hoxie say to Mike after his audition in front of the jury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ivy’s family and the Yamamotos experience prejudice. What prejudices do the families experience and how is the discrimination they face related to their ethnic heritage?
Essay Topic 2
Hitler’s purity laws and the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany are discussed in Part One of the novel. What does the author convey about racial discrimination through Part One of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Ivy is a fifth grader, but she wants to be strong for her family. Why does Ivy want to be strong and how does she become strong for her family?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)