|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mrs. Sturbridge when she married a violinist?
2. In Part Three, Chapter 2, how long has Ivy's family lived in Fresno?
3. In Part Four, Chapter 1, what composer conducted his own compositions on the opening night of the place where Friedrich is conducting?
4. In Part Three, Chapter 15, what does Ivy play while she waits for Susan at the wagon?
5. In Part Three, Chapter 16, what color paint is used to write derogatory words on the Yamamoto house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter 13, how is Mr. Potter's harmonica playing described?
2. In Part Four, Chapter 2, what does Mike remember happened after he fell from the tree up until present day?
3. In Part Three, Chapter 3, why does Fernando give Ivy his jacket?
4. In Part Two, Chapter 22, what does Mr. Hoxie say to Mike after his audition in front of the jury?
5. In Part Four, Chapter 1, what does Friedrich relate about what happened to his sister Elisabeth?
6. In Part Three, Chapter 16, what do Ivy and Victor find at the Yamamoto house?
7. In Part Three, Chapter 1, why is Ivy excited?
8. What is the Ward house like?
9. In Part Three, Chapter 19, what does Ivy reveal is in the secret room at the Yamamoto house?
10. What does Susan tell Ivy about the meaning of "Auld Lang Syne" in Part Three, Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mike uses deductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that Mrs. Sturbridge is going to send him and Frankie away. How does Mike use deductive reasoning to come to that conclusion and based on the end of the story, how does deductive reasoning lead Mike to the wrong conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
People tend to judge Friedrich by his appearance. How is appearance deceiving when determining the type of person Friedrich is, and what does the author convey about judging people by appearance through Friedrich and his experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Sturbridge does not want Mike or Frankie when they are brought to her house. Why does her opinion about the boys change and what brings about the change in her opinion?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)