|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter 1, where does the story take place?
2. What does Mr. and Mrs. Potter's daughter do?
3. In Part One, Chapter 17, when does Friedrich remember first hearing Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring?
4. What does Friedrich play on his harmonica in Part One, Chapter 16?
5. In Part One, Chapter 16, what is Rudolph's brother's position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mike and Frankie look like in Part Two, Chapter 1?
2. In Part One, Chapter 1, what does Friedrich's father plan to do now that he has retired?
3. What does Elisabeth say about her childhood in Part One, Chapter 10?
4. What does Friedrich write Elisabeth at the end of Chapter 22?
5. What is the emblem for the harmonica factory, and why might it have to be removed?
6. In Part One, Chapter 3, why did Friedrich's father take him out of school, and what did Friedrich do when he quit school?
7. How does Mike find time to play the piano in Part Two, Chapter 2?
8. What does Friedrich's home look like when he and Uncle Gunter visit in Chapter 20?
9. When Otto is lost in the woods in The Untitled Opening Section, what does he remember about dangers in the woods?
10. In Chapter 16, why does Rudolph leave instead of playing music with Martin and a friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friedrich, Mike, and Ivy all made gains through their life struggles. Which character gained the most through the struggles that they faced in life?
Essay Topic 2
The midwife tells each princess that her fate is not sealed when she takes each one to the forest. What does the midwife’s prophecy imply about fate and destiny as the prophecy is uttered and as it is fulfilled?
Essay Topic 3
Mike uses deductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that Mrs. Sturbridge is going to send him and Frankie away. How does Mike use deductive reasoning to come to that conclusion and based on the end of the story, how does deductive reasoning lead Mike to the wrong conclusion?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)