|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter 19, how large is Uncle Gunter's apartment?
2. At the beginning of Part One, Chapter 5, what does Friedrich smell?
3. In Part One, Chapter 5, with whom does Friedrich eat his lunch?
4. In Part Two, Chapter 1, how many other boys sleep in the room that Mike is sleeping in?
5. At the end of The Untitled First Section, what is Otto?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter 3, where are Mike and Frankie sent to be punished?
2. In Part One, Chapter 6, why is Elisabeth going to work in Berlin rather than Trossingen?
3. What is the emblem for the harmonica factory, and why might it have to be removed?
4. In Part Two, Chapter 11, what happens when Mr. Howard takes Frankie and Mike to Highlander's Department Store?
5. When Otto is lost in the woods in The Untitled Opening Section, what does he remember about dangers in the woods?
6. Why does Mrs. von Gerber visit in Chapter 22?
7. What does Elisabeth say about her childhood in Part One, Chapter 10?
8. Who does Otto meet when he stumbles into a circle of fir trees in The Untitled Opening Section?
9. What does Otto read as he waits for the others to get to home base in The Untitled Opening Section?
10. Why do Mr. Golding and Mr. Howard visit Bishop/'s in Part Two, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The midwife in the untitled first section of the novel proclaims a prophecy when she leaves each of the princesses with the witch. How does the prophecy apply to Otto, Friedrich, Mike, and Ivy as well as the princesses?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses flashbacks to resolve the storylines for Friedrich, Mike, and Ivy. How do flashbacks resolve the storyline for each of those characters?
Essay Topic 3
The midwife tells each princess that her fate is not sealed when she takes each one to the forest. What does the midwife’s prophecy imply about fate and destiny as the prophecy is uttered and as it is fulfilled?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)