|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Untitled Opening Section, how long does Otto wander after reading the story?
2. In the story Otto reads, how long after the king's third daughter is born, does he have a son?
3. In Part One, Chapter 1, when does the story take place?
4. What did Pennyweather take from Frankie and Mike when they arrived?
5. In Part One, Chapter 3, who did Friedrich say sat next to him in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter 3, where are Mike and Frankie sent to be punished?
2. In Part One, Chapter 2, what does Friedrich look like?
3. In Part One, Chapter 3, why did Friedrich's father take him out of school, and what did Friedrich do when he quit school?
4. How do officials learn that Martin and Friedrich plan to leave in Chapter 18?
5. What does Elisabeth say about her childhood in Part One, Chapter 10?
6. What is the emblem for the harmonica factory, and why might it have to be removed?
7. Who does Otto meet when he stumbles into a circle of fir trees in The Untitled Opening Section?
8. In Part One, Chapter 6, why is Elisabeth going to work in Berlin rather than Trossingen?
9. How do Otto's parents react when he tells them the story of the three sisters and what happened when he was lost in the woods?
10. What does a midwife do in the story that Otto reads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? Why are these characters important to the storyline; how do they make the main characters more colorful or interesting; and what is their role when there is conflict?
Essay Topic 2
People tend to judge Friedrich by his appearance. How is appearance deceiving when determining the type of person Friedrich is, and what does the author convey about judging people by appearance through Friedrich and his experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Mike uses deductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that Mrs. Sturbridge is going to send him and Frankie away. How does Mike use deductive reasoning to come to that conclusion and based on the end of the story, how does deductive reasoning lead Mike to the wrong conclusion?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)