|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter 1, what color is Mike's hair?
2. What color are Mrs. Sturbridge's eyes?
3. In Part Two, Chapter 6, how many orphanages have Mr. Golding and Mr. Howard visited in the last two weeks?
4. What is Elisabeth studying in Part One, Chapter 1?
5. In Part Two, Chapter 6, what piece do Mike and Franklin play on the piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Otto's parents react when he tells them the story of the three sisters and what happened when he was lost in the woods?
2. Who does Otto meet when he stumbles into a circle of fir trees in The Untitled Opening Section?
3. In Part One, Chapter 3, why did Friedrich's father take him out of school, and what did Friedrich do when he quit school?
4. Why is there a birth certificate that says that Friedrich died?
5. In Part One, Chapter 2, what does Friedrich look like?
6. What does Otto read as he waits for the others to get to home base in The Untitled Opening Section?
7. How do officials learn that Martin and Friedrich plan to leave in Chapter 18?
8. Why does Mrs. von Gerber visit in Chapter 22?
9. What is the emblem for the harmonica factory, and why might it have to be removed?
10. What does Friedrich's home look like when he and Uncle Gunter visit in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The harmonica helps the main characters in the novel deal with the difficulties in their lives. How does having the harmonica assist each of the main characters in freeing themselves from the difficulties and challenges in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Some sections of the novel seem like fantasy, others seem historical. What is the genre of the novel and why?
Essay Topic 3
Both Ivy’s family and the Yamamotos experience prejudice. What prejudices do the families experience and how is the discrimination they face related to their ethnic heritage?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)