|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pennyweather take from Frankie and Mike when they arrived?
2. Where does Friedrich have a birthmark?
3. In Part One, Chapter 16, how long have Martin and Rudolph been friends?
4. What does Friedrich play on his harmonica in Part One, Chapter 16?
5. In Part One, Chapter 22, what shape are the cookies that Elisabeth sends?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story that Otto reads to the three sisters, what happens after their father the king dies?
2. What does Friedrich's home look like when he and Uncle Gunter visit in Chapter 20?
3. Why is there a birth certificate that says that Friedrich died?
4. What is the emblem for the harmonica factory, and why might it have to be removed?
5. In Part Two, Chapter 11, what happens when Mr. Howard takes Frankie and Mike to Highlander's Department Store?
6. In Part One, Chapter 2, what does Friedrich look like?
7. Why do Mr. Golding and Mr. Howard visit Bishop/'s in Part Two, Chapter 6?
8. In Part Two, Chapter 5, how does Frankie think they might leave the orphanage?
9. How does Mike find time to play the piano in Part Two, Chapter 2?
10. In Part One, Chapter 3, why did Friedrich's father take him out of school, and what did Friedrich do when he quit school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Sturbridge does not want Mike or Frankie when they are brought to her house. Why does her opinion about the boys change and what brings about the change in her opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Friedrich, Mike, and Ivy all made gains through their life struggles. Which character gained the most through the struggles that they faced in life?
Essay Topic 3
The harmonica helps the main characters in the novel deal with the difficulties in their lives. How does having the harmonica assist each of the main characters in freeing themselves from the difficulties and challenges in their lives?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)