The Untitled Opening Section
• In the opening untitled chapter, the story begins with a boy playing hide-and-seek with his friends 50 years before the war to end all wars.
• Otto slips away to the edge of the forest while his friend Mathilde is counting.
• He begins reading a book that he bought that morning from a Gypsy.
• The book is “The Thirteenth Harmonica of Otto Messenger.”
• In the first chapter of the book, a king’s kingdom will only be inherited by his child if he has a son.
• If the king has a daughter, his kingdom will revert to his brother.
• The king gives birth to three daughters.
• Each time a daughter is born, the king has the midwife take them to the woods and leave them for the animals.
• Instead the midwife takes each of the girls to the forest and leaves them with her cousin, who...
This section contains 7,529 words
(approx. 26 pages at 300 words per page)