|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Buliwyf dressed?
2. What kind of injury does Rethel have?
3. How does Ibn feel about his first battle with the wendol?
4. What are the caves where the warriors are going called?
5. What does Buliwyf want Ibn to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the dwarfs give the warriors and what do they say to Buliwyf's question about a successful attack?
2. What does Herger tell Ibn about why the Vikings are not more excited after the first battle?
3. How does Ibn feel when he looks at the cliffs, what does he tell Herger and what does Herger tell him?
4. What does the dwarf soothsayer tell Buliwyf?
5. What do the Northmen do the night they visited the dwarfs, and why does Ibn decide to join with them?
6. What does Buliwyf tell Ibn and ask him to do?
7. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
8. How does Ibn meet up and get to know a Northwoman?
9. How is Ibn finally able to leave Rothgar's Hall?
10. What does Buliwyf tell the men to do once they have scaled the cliffs and how is Ibn feeling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crichton discusses the differences between Ibn Fadlan's observations about the Vikings and the common European view of the Northmen. Crichton reviews the numerous ways that show the Vikings were not the barbarians Europeans made them out to be. The Viking lifestyle is surprisingly modern with a strong sense of ritual.
1. Ritual is important in most civilizations. Support or refute the following statement with supporting reasons: Low technological societies or early civilizations had more ritual than modern civilizations. Use examples from Eaters of the Dead and your own life to support your answer.
2. The Europeans had a very negative view of the Northmen which Ibn shares until he spends some time with them and actually know them. In view of this explain how the cliche "You can't tell a book by its cover," applies to the situation between the view of the European towards the Northmen and Ibn's final views of the Northmen. Use examples from Eaters of the Dead and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think rituals are important to human culture? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "Eaters of the Dead" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ibn. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Buliwyf. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Herger. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)