Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buliwyf talk slowly to Ibn?
2. What does a dwarf tell Buliwyf about the attack in the desert of dread?
3. What is the form of the Korgon?
4. Why do the women cover Hurot with water?
5. What does Buliwyf do as the warriors near Hurot?
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Eaters of the Dead" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Eaters of the Dead". Questions that Crichton most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Crichton's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Crichton's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Crichton and if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
The Northmen realize they are often gone at sea for long periods of time and with little hope of return. Because of their lifestyle, they do not expect their women to remain chaste. Although Ibn Fadlan views the behavior of the Northmen as uncouth, the reader may begin to realize that in many aspects the Northmen have a very practical approach to life.
1. How do you think the fact that Northmen are gone from their families for long periods of time might affect their culture? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Does the fact that the Northmen do not expect them women to remain chaste seem to be a very modern idea? Why or why not? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which you have noticed the Northmen taking a practical approach to life. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your research to support your answer.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)