Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buliwyf talk slowly to Ibn?
2. What does a dwarf tell Buliwyf about the attack in the desert of dread?
3. What is the form of the Korgon?
4. Why do the women cover Hurot with water?
5. What does Buliwyf do as the warriors near Hurot?
Essay Topic 1
Wyglif's possessions are divided into three parts: one for his family, one to purchase a girl to die with him, and the last to be buried alongside him. A wild party ensues in which the Northmen get very drunk and indulge their pleasures with various women. A woman comes forward to say she will be buried with Wyglif. The girl is taken into a hut where she is raped by all of Wyglif's men. She is then held down by two men while the Angel of Death slits the girl's throat.
1. Discuss the status of slaves in the Northmen society based on the statement above. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own research to support your answer.
2. Discuss the status of women in a culture that encourages gang rape of a woman. Use examples from the book and your own research to support your answer.
3. How do you think the above burial practice, if viewed from a modern perspective, might demonstrate the evolution of the human race? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Eaters of the Dead" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why the book is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? Would you consider the example in the above paragraph foreshadowing? Why or why not? Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Discuss another example of foreshadowing in "Eaters of the Dead" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the text.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)