|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where do the warriors head when they leave the wendol camp?
2. Who wakes Ibn after the battle?
3. How many of the wendol does Ibn slay?
4. What happens the night of Buliwyf's visit to the dwarfs?
5. What does Buliwyf do as the warriors near Hurot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the dwarf soothsayer tell Buliwyf?
2. What does Buliwyf tell Ibn and ask him to do?
3. What do the dwarfs give the warriors and what do they say to Buliwyf's question about a successful attack?
4. What does Ibn see as the wendol approach at night and what does he think it is?
5. How does Wiglif end up dead?
6. What do they see in the largest hut of the wendol camp?
7. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
8. What do the riders see when they look down on an encampment?
9. How does Herger take care of a man who wants to kill Buliwyf?
10. Where does Ibn awake after the battle and what does he see as he walks across the compound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Eaters of the Dead", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Eaters of the Dead". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Eaters of the Dead" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why the book is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in this book. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Eaters of the Dead". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Who is a coward? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Eaters of the Dead". What is Ibn's view of tradition? Guliwyf's view? Herger's? Why is death important to some characters? How is Ibn's view of death different than Buliwyf ?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)