|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herger tell Ibn about the possible near future?
2. What does Ibn ask Herger as they near Hurot?
3. Why does the group dismount when they come to the region of caves?
4. What are the caves where the warriors are going called?
5. How does Ibn feel about what Herger told him about Buliwyf's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crichton discusses the differences between Ibn Fadlan's observations about the Vikings and the common European view of the Northmen. Crichton reviews the numerous ways that show the Vikings were not the barbarians Europeans made them out to be. The Viking lifestyle is surprisingly modern with a strong sense of ritual.
1. Ritual is important in most civilizations. Support or refute the following statement with supporting reasons: Low technological societies or early civilizations had more ritual than modern civilizations. Use examples from Eaters of the Dead and your own life to support your answer.
2. The Europeans had a very negative view of the Northmen which Ibn shares until he spends some time with them and actually know them. In view of this explain how the cliche "You can't tell a book by its cover," applies to the situation between the view of the European towards the Northmen and Ibn's final views of the Northmen. Use examples from Eaters of the Dead and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think rituals are important to human culture? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Eaters of the Dead". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Crichton's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Crichton use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? Would you consider the example in the above paragraph foreshadowing? Why or why not? Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Discuss another example of foreshadowing in "Eaters of the Dead" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the text.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 2,803 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)