|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men not take a break between battles?
2. How does Ibn feel about what Herger told him about Buliwyf's plan?
3. How many of the wendol does Ibn slay?
4. Why do the women cover Hurot with water?
5. What happens the night of Buliwyf's visit to the dwarfs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buliwyf do as they are heading back to Rothgar's Hall and why? What does Ibn think about Herger's information?
2. What is the only time Ibn can observe the Northmen showing any emotions about the first battle with the wendol?
3. How are wounded warriors treated for their wounds?
4. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
5. How does Herger take care of a man who wants to kill Buliwyf?
6. What do the Northmen do around mid-morning the day after the second battle?
7. What do the riders see when they look down on an encampment?
8. What does Herger tell Ibn about why the Vikings are not more excited after the first battle?
9. What does Herger tell Ibn about the wendol's mother?
10. What does the dwarf soothsayer tell Buliwyf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eaters of the Dead is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? Would you consider the example in the above paragraph foreshadowing? Why or why not? Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Discuss another example of foreshadowing in "Eaters of the Dead" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the text.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Northmen realize they are often gone at sea for long periods of time and with little hope of return. Because of their lifestyle, they do not expect their women to remain chaste. Although Ibn Fadlan views the behavior of the Northmen as uncouth, the reader may begin to realize that in many aspects the Northmen have a very practical approach to life.
1. How do you think the fact that Northmen are gone from their families for long periods of time might affect their culture? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Does the fact that the Northmen do not expect them women to remain chaste seem to be a very modern idea? Why or why not? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which you have noticed the Northmen taking a practical approach to life. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your research to support your answer.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)