|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herger tell Berger about when the wendol sleep?
2. What happens the night of Buliwyf's visit to the dwarfs?
3. What does Buliwyf do when they see the wendol coming?
4. What does a dwarf tell Buliwyf about Buliwyf?
5. What do Herger and Ibn do right before Ibn leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
2. What does Herger tell Ibn about why the Vikings are not more excited after the first battle?
3. What does Ibn see as the wendol approach at night and what does he think it is?
4. How is Ibn finally able to leave Rothgar's Hall?
5. How does Wiglif end up dead?
6. What does Herger tell Ibn about the wendol's mother?
7. What is the only time Ibn can observe the Northmen showing any emotions about the first battle with the wendol?
8. What do the dwarfs give the warriors and what do they say to Buliwyf's question about a successful attack?
9. What do the riders see when they look down on an encampment?
10. What does the dwarf soothsayer tell Buliwyf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eaters of the Dead is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 3
Rothgar has five sons who should have been able to gather a suitable war party to face the wendol. However, the sons of Rothgar are too concerned with obtaining their father's throne to notice that the kingdom they wish to rule is under attack. Wiglif is more concerned with whether or not Buliwyf means to take Rothgar's throne than the fact there may soon be no village left to rule.
1. If Rothgar's five sons are fighting each other for his position, what does this say about what kind of kings the sons might be? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. In view of the fact that Rothgar's sons could pull together enough men to fight the wendol why do you think Buliwyf should go help Rothgar? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
3. How does the cliche: "Can't see the apple for the tree," relate to what Rothgar's sons are doing? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)