|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the dwarfs give the warriors?
2. What kind of power does Herger say the dwarfs have?
3. Why do the women cover Hurot with water?
4. How does Ibn feel about what Herger told him about Buliwyf's plan?
5. What are the caves where the warriors are going called?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ibn finally able to leave Rothgar's Hall?
2. How does Ibn meet up and get to know a Northwoman?
3. What is one of the new defenses around Hurot and what do the women do with water and why do they do it?
4. What does Herger tell Ibn about why the Vikings are not more excited after the first battle?
5. What does Buliwyf tell Ibn and ask him to do?
6. What do the Northmen do the night they visited the dwarfs, and why does Ibn decide to join with them?
7. What does Buliwyf do the night the wendol attack after they kill the mother and how does he look?
8. What does Buliwyf do as they are heading back to Rothgar's Hall and why? What does Ibn think about Herger's information?
9. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
10. What is the only time Ibn can observe the Northmen showing any emotions about the first battle with the wendol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Eaters of the Dead", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Eaters of the Dead". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Eaters of the Dead" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Eaters of the Dead" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if this is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Eaters of the Dead" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)