|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ibn wounded during the battle?
2. What does Herger tell Ibn about the possible near future?
3. What is the form of the Korgon?
4. What does Buliwyf do as the warriors near Hurot?
5. What does the landscape look like when it changes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herger tell Ibn about the wendol's mother?
2. How is Ibn finally able to leave Rothgar's Hall?
3. What do the Northmen do the night they visited the dwarfs, and why does Ibn decide to join with them?
4. What do the Northmen do around mid-morning the day after the second battle?
5. How are wounded warriors treated for their wounds?
6. How does Ibn feel when he looks at the cliffs, what does he tell Herger and what does Herger tell him?
7. How does Wiglif end up dead?
8. What is one of the new defenses around Hurot and what do the women do with water and why do they do it?
9. Where does Ibn awake after the battle and what does he see as he walks across the compound?
10. What does Buliwyf do as they are heading back to Rothgar's Hall and why? What does Ibn think about Herger's information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Eaters of the Dead" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why the book is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? Would you consider the example in the above paragraph foreshadowing? Why or why not? Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Discuss another example of foreshadowing in "Eaters of the Dead" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the text.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Wyglif's possessions are divided into three parts: one for his family, one to purchase a girl to die with him, and the last to be buried alongside him. A wild party ensues in which the Northmen get very drunk and indulge their pleasures with various women. A woman comes forward to say she will be buried with Wyglif. The girl is taken into a hut where she is raped by all of Wyglif's men. She is then held down by two men while the Angel of Death slits the girl's throat.
1. Discuss the status of slaves in the Northmen society based on the statement above. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own research to support your answer.
2. Discuss the status of women in a culture that encourages gang rape of a woman. Use examples from the book and your own research to support your answer.
3. How do you think the above burial practice, if viewed from a modern perspective, might demonstrate the evolution of the human race? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)