|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herger tell Ibn when Ibn says he does not want to go to the wendol's mother?
2. What does Herger tell Ibn when Ibn says he is afraid?
3. How are warriors with extremity wounds treated?
4. Why doesn't Ibn leave Hurot?
5. How do the Northmen view warriors who die in bed or as old men?
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Crichton.
2. What in Crichton's background may have helped Crichton in writing "Eaters of the Dead"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Eaters of the Dead".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Eaters of the Dead". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Eaters of the Dead". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Wyglif's possessions are divided into three parts: one for his family, one to purchase a girl to die with him, and the last to be buried alongside him. A wild party ensues in which the Northmen get very drunk and indulge their pleasures with various women. A woman comes forward to say she will be buried with Wyglif. The girl is taken into a hut where she is raped by all of Wyglif's men. She is then held down by two men while the Angel of Death slits the girl's throat.
1. Discuss the status of slaves in the Northmen society based on the statement above. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own research to support your answer.
2. Discuss the status of women in a culture that encourages gang rape of a woman. Use examples from the book and your own research to support your answer.
3. How do you think the above burial practice, if viewed from a modern perspective, might demonstrate the evolution of the human race? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 2,806 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)