|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herger continually ask Ibn about?
2. How many of the wendol does Ibn slay?
3. Why are the remaining wendol marching on Hurot?
4. How many shields does a man get when in a Viking duel?
5. Why does Herger ride forward to talk to Buliwyf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ibn meet up and get to know a Northwoman?
2. What do the warriors do when they reach a region of caves?
3. What does Herger tell Ibn about why the Vikings are not more excited after the first battle?
4. What does Buliwyf do the night the wendol attack after they kill the mother and how does he look?
5. What does Ibn see as the wendol approach at night and what does he think it is?
6. Where does Ibn awake after the battle and what does he see as he walks across the compound?
7. What does the dwarf soothsayer tell Buliwyf?
8. How does Ibn feel when he looks at the cliffs, what does he tell Herger and what does Herger tell him?
9. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
10. How are wounded warriors treated for their wounds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes "Eaters of the Dead" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ibn. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Buliwyf. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Herger. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in this book. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Eaters of the Dead". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Who is a coward? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Eaters of the Dead". What is Ibn's view of tradition? Guliwyf's view? Herger's? Why is death important to some characters? How is Ibn's view of death different than Buliwyf ?
Essay Topic 3
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)