|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wakes Ibn after the battle?
2. What are the caves where the warriors are going called?
3. What kind of injury does Rethel have?
4. What do the warriors take with them when they leave to find the glowworm?
5. What do the Northwomen look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buliwyf tell Ibn and ask him to do?
2. How is Ibn finally able to leave Rothgar's Hall?
3. What does Buliwyf tell the men to do once they have scaled the cliffs and how is Ibn feeling?
4. What do the Northmen do the night they visited the dwarfs, and why does Ibn decide to join with them?
5. How does Ibn meet up and get to know a Northwoman?
6. How does Wiglif end up dead?
7. What is the landscape like in the Desert of Dread?
8. How are wounded warriors treated for their wounds?
9. What is the only time Ibn can observe the Northmen showing any emotions about the first battle with the wendol?
10. What do the warriors do when they reach a region of caves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Eaters of the Dead", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Eaters of the Dead". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Eaters of the Dead".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Eaters of the Dead". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Eaters of the Dead". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)