|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buliwyf talk slowly to Ibn?
2. What does Herger tell Ibn when Ibn says he does not want to go to the wendol's mother?
3. What kind of information does Herger give to Ibn?
4. Why do the women cover Hurot with water?
5. What do the wendols look like when not dressed for war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ibn meet up and get to know a Northwoman?
2. What is the only time Ibn can observe the Northmen showing any emotions about the first battle with the wendol?
3. What do they see in the largest hut of the wendol camp?
4. What does Buliwyf tell Ibn and ask him to do?
5. What does the dwarf soothsayer tell Buliwyf?
6. What does Buliwyf do the night the wendol attack after they kill the mother and how does he look?
7. What do the warriors do when they reach a region of caves?
8. What do the riders see when they look down on an encampment?
9. What is one of the new defenses around Hurot and what do the women do with water and why do they do it?
10. How does Ibn feel when he looks at the cliffs, what does he tell Herger and what does Herger tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crichton discusses the differences between Ibn Fadlan's observations about the Vikings and the common European view of the Northmen. Crichton reviews the numerous ways that show the Vikings were not the barbarians Europeans made them out to be. The Viking lifestyle is surprisingly modern with a strong sense of ritual.
1. Ritual is important in most civilizations. Support or refute the following statement with supporting reasons: Low technological societies or early civilizations had more ritual than modern civilizations. Use examples from Eaters of the Dead and your own life to support your answer.
2. The Europeans had a very negative view of the Northmen which Ibn shares until he spends some time with them and actually know them. In view of this explain how the cliche "You can't tell a book by its cover," applies to the situation between the view of the European towards the Northmen and Ibn's final views of the Northmen. Use examples from Eaters of the Dead and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think rituals are important to human culture? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Eaters of the Dead".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Eaters of the Dead". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Eaters of the Dead". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)