|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buliwyf do when they see the wendol coming?
2. How is Buliwyf dressed?
3. How does Ibn feel about what Herger told him about Buliwyf's plan?
4. How does Ibn feel about his first battle with the wendol?
5. How many weeks does Ibn spend with the Northmen before he is ready to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
2. What do they see in the largest hut of the wendol camp?
3. What does Buliwyf tell the men to do once they have scaled the cliffs and how is Ibn feeling?
4. What do Herger and Ibn think of each others' religion?
5. What does Buliwyf do as they are heading back to Rothgar's Hall and why? What does Ibn think about Herger's information?
6. What does Ibn see as the wendol approach at night and what does he think it is?
7. What do the Northmen do around mid-morning the day after the second battle?
8. What is the only time Ibn can observe the Northmen showing any emotions about the first battle with the wendol?
9. How does Wiglif end up dead?
10. What do the Northmen do the night they visited the dwarfs, and why does Ibn decide to join with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Eaters of the Dead" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why the book is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Wyglif's possessions are divided into three parts: one for his family, one to purchase a girl to die with him, and the last to be buried alongside him. A wild party ensues in which the Northmen get very drunk and indulge their pleasures with various women. A woman comes forward to say she will be buried with Wyglif. The girl is taken into a hut where she is raped by all of Wyglif's men. She is then held down by two men while the Angel of Death slits the girl's throat.
1. Discuss the status of slaves in the Northmen society based on the statement above. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own research to support your answer.
2. Discuss the status of women in a culture that encourages gang rape of a woman. Use examples from the book and your own research to support your answer.
3. How do you think the above burial practice, if viewed from a modern perspective, might demonstrate the evolution of the human race? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)