|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of head do the warriors see on a spike?
2. What is the position of the man in question #15?
3. What happens to the weather after the funeral?
4. In what does Ibn record his journey?
5. What does Buliwyf think about waiting to be announced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the party stay for two days and what does Ibn find out about Northmen behavior before a sea voyage?
2. Why is there no adultery among the Turks?
3. What does Ibn and his party see as they walk towards Rothgar's Hall and how do the Viking warriors feel about it?
4. Describe Trelburg.
5. Where do the Northmen make landfall, how do they travel next and how does Ibn feel about the traveling? Why do they travel so many hours in a day?
6. Who tells Ibn about the wendol and what does he say?
7. How do the Northmen hold funeral rites for their leader?
8. What does Ibn do about leaving at the beginning of Chapter Five, and how does he feel about his journey with the Northmen?
9. What does Ibn note about the difference between the people at Trelburg and the Northmen and what does he find out there about the troubles at Rothgar's Hall?
10. What holds up Ibn's travels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? Would you consider the example in the above paragraph foreshadowing? Why or why not? Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Discuss another example of foreshadowing in "Eaters of the Dead" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the text.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Eaters of the Dead" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)