|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of toast does Wiglif make to Buliwyf?
2. What type of houses do merchants of the Northmen use?
3. What surrounds Trelburg?
4. Where is Ibn sent on his journey?
5. How does Ibn feel about his coming journey with the Northmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crichton say about Ibn's observations of the Vikings?
2. What does Ibn think of Rothgar's Hall when he first sees it and what does Herger say about the hall?
3. How does Chapter One begin and what does the writer say about himself?
4. How does Ibn end up telling a story in Rothgar's Hall?
5. What does Ibn say about the Oguz Turks?
6. What trouble are the Northmen experiencing when Ibn meets them?
7. Who tells Ibn about the wendol and what does he say?
8. How does Ibn describe the rivers where he travels?
9. What hits the land right after the burial and what does Ibn notice about the Northmen?
10. Why was Ibn chosen as the thirteenth warrior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eaters of the Dead is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)