Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
2. What does the boat that arrive contain?
3. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
4. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
5. Where is a dead Northman's body placed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are wounded warriors treated for their wounds?
2. What does Ibn think of Rothgar's Hall when he first sees it and what does Herger say about the hall?
3. What is the river Gayih like and what happens when Ibn crosses it?
4. What does the first appendix discuss about the tale?
5. What do the Northmen do the night they visited the dwarfs, and why does Ibn decide to join with them?
6. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
7. What trouble are the Northmen experiencing when Ibn meets them?
8. What kind of man is Ibn, and how much has he traveled before this journey?
9. How does Wiglif end up dead?
10. Why was Ibn chosen as the thirteenth warrior?
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Eaters of the Dead" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if this is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Eaters of the Dead" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in this book. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Eaters of the Dead". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Who is a coward? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Eaters of the Dead". What is Ibn's view of tradition? Guliwyf's view? Herger's? Why is death important to some characters? How is Ibn's view of death different than Buliwyf ?
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)