|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the warriors see on the ground at the farmhouse where they stop?
2. Why is there problems with the Northmen's leader?
3. What does the letter in Chapter One request?
4. What does Ibn notice the Northmen fear?
5. Who foretells the mists will come the night after the feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hits the land right after the burial and what does Ibn notice about the Northmen?
2. What does a boat that arrives bear and what is the message given to Buliwyf?
3. What is the letter that is mentioned in Chapter One?
4. What does Ibn think of Rothgar's Hall when he first sees it and what does Herger say about the hall?
5. Why did Ibn Fadlan go on a journey, who sent him, when did he go and what changed his original destination?
6. Why is there no adultery among the Turks?
7. How do the Northmen hold funeral rites for their leader?
8. What does Ibn and his party see as they walk towards Rothgar's Hall and how do the Viking warriors feel about it?
9. What is Ibn's writing style and why does he write like that?
10. Where does the party stay for two days and what does Ibn find out about Northmen behavior before a sea voyage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Eaters of the Dead" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if this is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Eaters of the Dead" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Eaters of the Dead".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Eaters of the Dead". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Eaters of the Dead". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)