Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
2. What does the boat that arrive contain?
3. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
4. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
5. Where is a dead Northman's body placed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are wounded warriors treated for their wounds?
2. What does Ibn think of Rothgar's Hall when he first sees it and what does Herger say about the hall?
3. What is the river Gayih like and what happens when Ibn crosses it?
4. What does the first appendix discuss about the tale?
5. What do the Northmen do the night they visited the dwarfs, and why does Ibn decide to join with them?
6. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
7. What trouble are the Northmen experiencing when Ibn meets them?
8. What kind of man is Ibn, and how much has he traveled before this journey?
9. How does Wiglif end up dead?
10. Why was Ibn chosen as the thirteenth warrior?
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Eaters of the Dead" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Wyglif's possessions are divided into three parts: one for his family, one to purchase a girl to die with him, and the last to be buried alongside him. A wild party ensues in which the Northmen get very drunk and indulge their pleasures with various women. A woman comes forward to say she will be buried with Wyglif. The girl is taken into a hut where she is raped by all of Wyglif's men. She is then held down by two men while the Angel of Death slits the girl's throat.
1. Discuss the status of slaves in the Northmen society based on the statement above. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own research to support your answer.
2. Discuss the status of women in a culture that encourages gang rape of a woman. Use examples from the book and your own research to support your answer.
3. How do you think the above burial practice, if viewed from a modern perspective, might demonstrate the evolution of the human race? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)