|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibn observe about the Vikings social customs?
2. What are the funeral practices for a man of repute in the Oguz?
3. How does the religious beliefs of the people from question #25 and Ibn's people compare?
4. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
5. In what does Ibn record his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ibn chosen as the thirteenth warrior?
2. How long was Ibn gone, and how did he tell about his journey?
3. What hits the land right after the burial and what does Ibn notice about the Northmen?
4. What does Ibn learn about Thorkel during the burial rites?
5. How does Ibn describe the rivers where he travels?
6. What does Ibn do about leaving at the beginning of Chapter Five, and how does he feel about his journey with the Northmen?
7. How do the Northmen hold funeral rites for their leader?
8. What does Ibn and his party see as they walk towards Rothgar's Hall and how do the Viking warriors feel about it?
9. How is the Northmen's fear explained to Ibn?
10. What does Herger ask Ibn about writing, how does Ibn respond and what upsets one of the warriors about writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Eaters of the Dead is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)