|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boat that arrive contain?
2. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
3. From whom has a letter arrived where Ibn lives?
4. For what purpose does Ibn write?
5. What happens to the weather after the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ibn describe the rivers where he travels?
2. Why did Ibn Fadlan go on a journey, who sent him, when did he go and what changed his original destination?
3. What does Crichton say about Ibn's observations of the Vikings?
4. What does Ibn think of Rothgar's Hall when he first sees it and what does Herger say about the hall?
5. What hits the land right after the burial and what does Ibn notice about the Northmen?
6. What is the letter that is mentioned in Chapter One?
7. What is Ibn's writing style and why does he write like that?
8. What does Herger ask Ibn about writing, how does Ibn respond and what upsets one of the warriors about writing?
9. What does Ibn note about the difference between the people at Trelburg and the Northmen and what does he find out there about the troubles at Rothgar's Hall?
10. Why is there no adultery among the Turks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Eaters of the Dead" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if this is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Eaters of the Dead" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Eaters of the Dead". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Crichton's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Crichton use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in this book. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Eaters of the Dead". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Who is a coward? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "Eaters of the Dead". What is Ibn's view of tradition? Guliwyf's view? Herger's? Why is death important to some characters? How is Ibn's view of death different than Buliwyf ?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)