|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibn ask when Herger points out the city in question #67 to him?
2. What town does Herger point out to Ibn when they are on the ship?
3. What are the warriors told to leave outside the hall?
4. What does Ecthgow say to Ibn about the why the whales attack boats?
5. What surrounds Trelburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the letter that is mentioned in Chapter One?
2. What does Ibn think of Rothgar's Hall when he first sees it and what does Herger say about the hall?
3. Why is there no adultery among the Turks?
4. What holds up Ibn's travels?
5. Who tells Ibn about the wendol and what does he say?
6. How does Ibn describe the Northmen?
7. What do the Northmen merchants have to sell and where do they sell it?
8. Why did Ibn Fadlan go on a journey, who sent him, when did he go and what changed his original destination?
9. What kind of man is Ibn, and how much has he traveled before this journey?
10. What does Herger ask Ibn about writing, how does Ibn respond and what upsets one of the warriors about writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Eaters of the Dead".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Eaters of the Dead". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Eaters of the Dead". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Crichton.
2. What in Crichton's background may have helped Crichton in writing "Eaters of the Dead"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Eaters of the Dead". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Crichton's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Crichton use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)