|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
2. What does Ibn tend to present in his writings?
3. What part of the personal habits of the people from question #25 does Ibn write?
4. How does Ibn list the rivers he has crossed?
5. What kind of head do the warriors see on a spike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Northmen's fear explained to Ibn?
2. Why does Buliwyf sit with Ibn and how does Buliwyf talk?
3. How do the Northmen hold funeral rites for their leader?
4. What does the first appendix discuss about the tale?
5. What is the river Gayih like and what happens when Ibn crosses it?
6. How does Herger take care of a man who wants to kill Buliwyf?
7. What does Ibn note about the difference between the people at Trelburg and the Northmen and what does he find out there about the troubles at Rothgar's Hall?
8. What does Ibn say about the Oguz Turks?
9. What is one of the new defenses around Hurot and what do the women do with water and why do they do it?
10. What does Buliwyf do as they are heading back to Rothgar's Hall and why? What does Ibn think about Herger's information?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Eaters of the Dead". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Crichton chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Crichton's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Crichton use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Eaters of the Dead" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if this is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Eaters of the Dead" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
The Northmen realize they are often gone at sea for long periods of time and with little hope of return. Because of their lifestyle, they do not expect their women to remain chaste. Although Ibn Fadlan views the behavior of the Northmen as uncouth, the reader may begin to realize that in many aspects the Northmen have a very practical approach to life.
1. How do you think the fact that Northmen are gone from their families for long periods of time might affect their culture? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Does the fact that the Northmen do not expect them women to remain chaste seem to be a very modern idea? Why or why not? Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss ways in which you have noticed the Northmen taking a practical approach to life. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your research to support your answer.
This section contains 3,543 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)