|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibn become by the end of Chapter Four?
2. What does Ibn see at the mountains?
3. How many times has Ibn traveled away from his home city before this journey?
4. What does Ibn say when the interpreter explains the Northmen's fear?
5. Why are the warriors of Trelburg clean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trouble are the Northmen experiencing when Ibn meets them?
2. How do the Northmen hold funeral rites for their leader?
3. What does Crichton say about Ibn's observations of the Vikings?
4. Why was Ibn chosen as the thirteenth warrior?
5. What holds up Ibn's travels?
6. How does Ibn describe the rivers where he travels?
7. What hits the land right after the burial and what does Ibn notice about the Northmen?
8. What kind of man is Ibn, and how much has he traveled before this journey?
9. What does a boat that arrives bear and what is the message given to Buliwyf?
10. Describe Trelburg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Eaters of the Dead" belongs to the historical fiction fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a historical fiction fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 2
Wyglif's possessions are divided into three parts: one for his family, one to purchase a girl to die with him, and the last to be buried alongside him. A wild party ensues in which the Northmen get very drunk and indulge their pleasures with various women. A woman comes forward to say she will be buried with Wyglif. The girl is taken into a hut where she is raped by all of Wyglif's men. She is then held down by two men while the Angel of Death slits the girl's throat.
1. Discuss the status of slaves in the Northmen society based on the statement above. Use examples from "Eaters of the Dead" and your own research to support your answer.
2. Discuss the status of women in a culture that encourages gang rape of a woman. Use examples from the book and your own research to support your answer.
3. How do you think the above burial practice, if viewed from a modern perspective, might demonstrate the evolution of the human race? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "Eaters of the Dead" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ibn. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Buliwyf. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Herger. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)