|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets the warriors as they arrive at Rothgar's hall?
(a) A scout.
(b) A herald.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A spy.
2. What does Ibn think about the way the Northmen think about the number thirteen?
(a) He has given it no thought.
(b) They are wrong according to Ibn's religion.
(c) They are irrationally superstitious.
(d) They make sense.
3. What kind of clothing do the Northmen wear?
(a) Very rough clothing.
(b) Beautiful embroidered jackets.
(c) Clothing of fine wool.
(d) Clothing of silk and cotton.
4. What kind of toast does Wiglif make to Buliwyf?
(a) One that has both praise and insult.
(b) The traditional toast to a man about to die.
(c) He makes no toast.
(d) A very long, rambling toast.
5. What is Buliwyf ask to do?
(a) Build a new ship for the king.
(b) Accompany Ibn to Rome.
(c) Give the crown to Thorkel.
(d) Battle a fierce monster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
2. In what year was Ibn Fadlan sent on his journey?
3. What does the interpreter say to Ibn's comment?
4. What do the merchants have primarily in their houses?
5. Who is Wulfgar's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Buliwyf and his group find in a farmhouse and what does Buliwyf find there that he smashes?
2. What hits the land right after the burial and what does Ibn notice about the Northmen?
3. What do the Northmen merchants have to sell and where do they sell it?
4. What trouble are the Northmen experiencing when Ibn meets them?
5. What is Ibn's writing style and why does he write like that?
6. What does Ibn note about the difference between the people at Trelburg and the Northmen and what does he find out there about the troubles at Rothgar's Hall?
7. How does Chapter One begin and what does the writer say about himself?
8. What does Ibn do about leaving at the beginning of Chapter Five, and how does he feel about his journey with the Northmen?
9. What does Ibn say about the Oguz Turks?
10. What does Ibn and his party see as they walk towards Rothgar's Hall and how do the Viking warriors feel about it?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)