|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sits on top of the earth wall encircling Trelburg?
(b) A fence.
(c) Large planted trees.
(d) A stone wall.
2. For what purpose does Ibn write?
(a) To encourage travel.
(c) To make money.
3. In what direction is Ibn's party traveling?
4. What does Ecthgow say to Ibn about the why the whales attack boats?
(a) To knock men into the water.
(b) To play with the boats.
(c) To mate with them.
(d) To stop the noise from the shields.
5. What does Ibn list in his narrative?
(a) How long each leg of the journey will take.
(b) Items to be taken with him.
(c) The people he is supposed to meet.
(d) The amount of money needed for the food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ibn's party stop after they leave the Oguz?
2. How does Ibn feel at first as he travels with the Northmen?
3. What does the interpreter tell Ibn to do about the situation of which Ibn is informed at the funeral?
4. What do the warriors do when they reach Rothgar's hall before embarking from the ship?
5. What does Herger say is customary behavior for Vikings before a sea voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Northmen hold funeral rites for their leader?
2. What does a boat that arrives bear and what is the message given to Buliwyf?
3. Why did Ibn Fadlan go on a journey, who sent him, when did he go and what changed his original destination?
4. How does Herger take care of a man who wants to kill Buliwyf?
5. What do the riders see when they look down on an encampment?
6. How does Ibn describe the Northmen?
7. What does the dwarf soothsayer tell Buliwyf?
8. What is Ibn's writing style and why does he write like that?
9. What does Herger tell Ibn about the wendol's mother?
10. What is one of the new defenses around Hurot and what do the women do with water and why do they do it?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)