|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the whale that Ibn sees swimming near the boat?
(c) White and black.
2. What does Ibn observe about the Vikings social customs?
(a) They have a very loose social structure.
(b) They have no cohesive society.
(c) They have a strong sense of ritual.
(d) They have few long time rituals.
3. What is the differences between Ibn's observations of the Vikings and the general European view of them at that time?
(a) The Vikings are much more pacifistic than thought.
(b) The Vikings are more matriarchal than thought.
(c) They are not as civilized as thought in Europe.
(d) He said that were not the barbarians Europeans thought.
4. What does Ibn do where they stop?
(a) Hires a wheel wright to fix the wagon.
(b) Give the man many gifts.
(c) Rents a room until he is better.
(d) Have a healer look after the horse.
5. What sits on top of the earth wall encircling Trelburg?
(b) A fence.
(c) Large planted trees.
(d) A stone wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tales does Ibn avoid?
2. What part of the personal habits of the people from question #25 does Ibn write?
3. What do the warriors do when they reach Rothgar's hall before embarking from the ship?
4. How does Ibn list the rivers he has crossed?
5. Why does Ibn liken the Northmen to animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the party stay for two days and what does Ibn find out about Northmen behavior before a sea voyage?
2. What does Ibn say about the Oguz Turks?
3. Why was Ibn chosen as the thirteenth warrior?
4. What do Buliwyf and his group find in a farmhouse and what does Buliwyf find there that he smashes?
5. What does Crichton say about Ibn's observations of the Vikings?
6. How is the Northmen's fear explained to Ibn?
7. Describe Trelburg.
8. How does Chapter One begin and what does the writer say about himself?
9. What holds up Ibn's travels?
10. How does Ibn describe the rivers where he travels?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)