|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the story about that Ibn told the hall?
(a) A hunt for the wild boar.
(b) The history of Islam.
(c) A story about Eygpt.
(d) A man who does not change his slippers.
2. Why does Ibn's party stop after they leave the Oguz?
(a) A horse has gone lame.
(b) One of their wagons has broken.
(c) They are refused passage by a man.
(d) Ibn is sick.
3. What do the merchants have primarily in their houses?
(b) Cloth and spices.
(c) Beautiful girls.
(d) Religious artifacts.
4. What is the essence of the people from question #25 culture?
5. What amazes Ibn about the hall?
(a) The paintings on the wall.
(b) Its low ceilings.
(c) Its elegance.
(d) The number of women in the hall.
6. Why is there problems with the Northmen's leader?
(a) He is too young.
(b) He is unable to have children.
(c) He does not like to fight.
(d) He is ill.
7. How does Ibn view his coming trip with the Northmen?
(a) As a death sentence.
(b) As a way to gather a great deal of information.
(c) As a great adventure.
(d) As a wonderful way to study another culture.
8. What part of the personal habits of the people from question #25 does Ibn write?
(a) Marriage customs.
(b) Personal hygiene practices.
(c) Sexual mores.
(d) Family relationships.
9. What does the interpreter say to Ibn's comment?
(a) He agrees that all men are afraid of something.
(b) He explains it has to do with their gods.
(c) He says that it always kills someone.
(d) He does not explain the Northmen.
10. Who does not go with Ibn on his journey with the Northmen?
(a) His interpreter.
(b) His religious teacher.
(c) His valet.
(d) His brother.
11. What is the purpose of a Northman's burial ritual?
(a) To send the dead man quickly to Paradise.
(b) To help the wife grieve.
(c) To keep down disease.
(d) So the poor in the community are taken care of by the dead.
12. About what people does Ibn begin writing about in Chapter Two?
(a) The Bulgars.
(b) The Northmen.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Britons.
13. For what purpose does Ibn write?
(a) To make money.
(c) To encourage travel.
14. What does the boat that arrive contain?
(a) A letter for Ibn.
(b) One of Buliwyf's male relatives.
(c) Buliwyf's wife.
(d) Food for travel.
15. Who travels first on the boat when crossing the river?
(a) Women and children.
(c) The horses.
(d) All the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Ibn gone?
2. Where is a dead Northman's body placed?
3. How many gates does Trelburg have?
4. What do the warriors do when they reach Rothgar's hall before embarking from the ship?
5. What is Trelburg?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)