|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the weather after the funeral?
(a) It is sunny and warm.
(b) It begins to snow.
(c) It turns icy cold.
(d) A storm comes.
2. What is the first information given about Ibn?
(a) His age.
(b) His full name and station.
(c) His beliefs.
(d) His birthdate.
3. What surrounds Trelburg?
(a) A desert.
(c) Two rivers.
(d) The ocean on one side and a river on the other side.
4. What does Ibn say when the interpreter explains the Northmen's fear?
(a) It must be a Viking superstition.
(b) It is prudent but still he does not understand.
(c) It is silly.
(d) He too is afraid of some things.
5. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
6. Towards where are the defenses of Trelburg focused?
(a) Towards the ocean.
(b) Towards the land.
(c) Towards the river.
(d) Towards the mountains.
7. What does Ibn learn during the funeral of the Northmen leader?
(a) Wyglif wants to stay king.
(b) Thorkel desires the throne.
(c) Buliwyf wants Ibn to marry his sister.
(d) Thorkel wants to marry Buliwyf's daughter.
8. What does Thorkel want to do with Ibn?
(a) Make him leave immediately.
(b) Take him to his village.
(c) Have him initiated into the tribe.
(d) Kill him.
9. Who is Wulfgar's father?
10. What skill does Ibn say is most noticeable on the first leg of his journey with the Northmen?
(a) Their sailing skills.
(b) Their skills playing chess.
(c) Their ability to woo women.
(d) Their fighting skills.
11. Why do the warriors beat their shields on the ship?
(a) To set up a rhythm for the rowers.
(b) To scare any other ships in the area.
(c) To pray for good wind.
(d) To scare away the sea monsters.
12. Who sent Ibn on his journey?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Prince of Siam.
(c) The King of Mesopotamia.
(d) The King of Baghdad.
13. How is a man's possessions handled in the Northmen culture when he dies?
(a) They all go to his wife.
(b) They are divided into three parts.
(c) They are burned.
(d) They are given away to the poor.
14. What does Ibn observe about the Vikings social customs?
(a) They have few long time rituals.
(b) They have a strong sense of ritual.
(c) They have a very loose social structure.
(d) They have no cohesive society.
15. What kind of toast does Wiglif make to Buliwyf?
(a) A very long, rambling toast.
(b) One that has both praise and insult.
(c) He makes no toast.
(d) The traditional toast to a man about to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibn do where they stop?
2. What is Trelburg?
3. What type of houses do merchants of the Northmen use?
4. Who travels first on the boat when crossing the river?
5. How many times has Ibn traveled away from his home city before this journey?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)