|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the whale that Ibn sees swimming near the boat?
(d) White and black.
2. What is the first information given about Ibn?
(a) His beliefs.
(b) His age.
(c) His full name and station.
(d) His birthdate.
3. Who meets the warriors as they arrive at Rothgar's hall?
(a) A herald.
(b) A scout.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A spy.
4. What does the interpreter say to Ibn's comment?
(a) He agrees that all men are afraid of something.
(b) He says that it always kills someone.
(c) He does not explain the Northmen.
(d) He explains it has to do with their gods.
5. What language do Herger and Ibn share?
6. What does Ibn notice the Northmen fear?
7. Why does Ibn liken the Northmen to animals?
(a) They do not wash after a toilet.
(b) Their language sounds like growling.
(c) They eat their food raw.
(d) They fight over women.
8. What skill does Ibn say is most noticeable on the first leg of his journey with the Northmen?
(a) Their fighting skills.
(b) Their skills playing chess.
(c) Their ability to woo women.
(d) Their sailing skills.
9. What does the number thirteen correspond to in Viking lore?
(a) The number of enemy a man must kill to be a warrior.
(b) The number of full moons in a year.
(c) The number of Viking gods.
(d) The number of Viking tribes.
10. Towards where are the defenses of Trelburg focused?
(a) Towards the mountains.
(b) Towards the land.
(c) Towards the ocean.
(d) Towards the river.
11. What is the story about that Ibn told the hall?
(a) A hunt for the wild boar.
(b) A man who does not change his slippers.
(c) A story about Eygpt.
(d) The history of Islam.
12. What part of the personal habits of the people from question #25 does Ibn write?
(a) Family relationships.
(b) Sexual mores.
(c) Personal hygiene practices.
(d) Marriage customs.
13. Where is Ibn sent on his journey?
(a) To the Bulgars.
(b) To the Egyptians.
(c) To Alexandria.
(d) To Rome.
14. How is a man's possessions handled in the Northmen culture when he dies?
(a) They all go to his wife.
(b) They are given away to the poor.
(c) They are divided into three parts.
(d) They are burned.
15. What kind of clothing do the Northmen wear?
(a) Clothing of silk and cotton.
(b) Very rough clothing.
(c) Beautiful embroidered jackets.
(d) Clothing of fine wool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of head do the warriors see on a spike?
2. What is the usual distance between each river crossing?
3. What do the warriors do when they reach Rothgar's hall before embarking from the ship?
4. What amazes Ibn about the hall?
5. What does Ibn say when the interpreter explains the Northmen's fear?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)