|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ibn say when he is writing about something he saw?
(a) I do not expect to be believed.
(b) Anyone can see this is true.
(c) I saw this with my own eyes.
(d) This is probably true.
2. What does Ibn become by the end of Chapter Four?
(a) The ambassador to the Northmen.
(c) The husband of Buliwyf's sister.
(d) The thirteenth warrior.
3. What kind of toast does Wiglif make to Buliwyf?
(a) He makes no toast.
(b) A very long, rambling toast.
(c) The traditional toast to a man about to die.
(d) One that has both praise and insult.
4. Who does not go with Ibn on his journey with the Northmen?
(a) His valet.
(b) His religious teacher.
(c) His interpreter.
(d) His brother.
5. What color is the whale that Ibn sees swimming near the boat?
(d) White and black.
6. What do the merchants have primarily in their houses?
(a) Cloth and spices.
(c) Beautiful girls.
(d) Religious artifacts.
7. How many times has Ibn traveled away from his home city before this journey?
(d) Five times.
8. Who sent Ibn on his journey?
(a) The Prince of Siam.
(b) The King of Baghdad.
(c) His mother.
(d) The King of Mesopotamia.
9. What type of houses do merchants of the Northmen use?
(a) Houses with stone exteriors.
(c) Large wooden houses.
(d) They build their merchant house in the trees.
10. What kind of clothing do the Northmen wear?
(a) Clothing of fine wool.
(b) Beautiful embroidered jackets.
(c) Very rough clothing.
(d) Clothing of silk and cotton.
11. What are the funeral practices for a man of repute in the Oguz?
(a) He is encased in a stone tomb.
(b) He is buried a large pit with all his possessions.
(c) He is hung in the trees.
(d) He is burned on a pyre.
12. What amazes Ibn about the hall?
(a) Its elegance.
(b) Its low ceilings.
(c) The paintings on the wall.
(d) The number of women in the hall.
13. What town does Herger point out to Ibn when they are on the ship?
14. How does Ibn list the rivers he has crossed?
(a) From the longest to the shortest.
(b) From the widest to the most narrow.
(c) The order in which they are crossed.
(d) In alphabetic order.
15. What type of tales does Ibn avoid?
(a) Heresy tales.
(b) Tales against Islam.
(c) Bardic tales.
(d) Untrue tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
2. What does Ibn notice the Northmen fear?
3. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
4. What is the differences between Ibn's observations of the Vikings and the general European view of them at that time?
5. Who meets the warriors as they arrive at Rothgar's hall?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)