|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ibn observe about the Vikings social customs?
(a) They have no cohesive society.
(b) They have a strong sense of ritual.
(c) They have few long time rituals.
(d) They have a very loose social structure.
2. Why are Ibn and his party taken captive?
(a) They have not paid the wheel wright.
(b) They practice the wrong religion.
(c) They are thought to carry the plague.
(d) They are thought to be spies.
3. What does Ibn say when he is writing about something he saw?
(a) I do not expect to be believed.
(b) Anyone can see this is true.
(c) I saw this with my own eyes.
(d) This is probably true.
4. What does Ibn see at the mountains?
(a) A multitude of caves.
(b) Wild men with strange tattoos.
(c) Hot springs gushing from them.
(d) Goats that climb sheer cliffs.
5. How does Ibn list the rivers he has crossed?
(a) From the widest to the most narrow.
(b) From the longest to the shortest.
(c) The order in which they are crossed.
(d) In alphabetic order.
6. What does Ibn tend to present in his writings?
(a) A lot of facts.
(b) Very little sense of place.
(c) A lot of personal comments.
(d) A lot of quotes.
7. What is the purpose of a Northman's burial ritual?
(a) To keep down disease.
(b) To help the wife grieve.
(c) So the poor in the community are taken care of by the dead.
(d) To send the dead man quickly to Paradise.
8. What does Herger say is customary behavior for Vikings before a sea voyage?
(a) Sleeping as much as possible.
(b) Visiting family and friends.
(c) Drinking and sport with women.
(d) Praying in Odin's temple.
9. What does Ibn list in his narrative?
(a) The amount of money needed for the food.
(b) Items to be taken with him.
(c) How long each leg of the journey will take.
(d) The people he is supposed to meet.
10. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
(a) The President of the University.
(b) The Count of Syri.
(c) The Caliph.
(d) No one, Ibn volunteers.
11. What sits on top of the earth wall encircling Trelburg?
(a) A fence.
(b) Large planted trees.
(c) A stone wall.
12. What is the story about that Ibn told the hall?
(a) The history of Islam.
(b) A hunt for the wild boar.
(c) A story about Eygpt.
(d) A man who does not change his slippers.
13. What is Buliwyf ask to do?
(a) Build a new ship for the king.
(b) Battle a fierce monster.
(c) Accompany Ibn to Rome.
(d) Give the crown to Thorkel.
14. What are the warriors told to leave outside the hall?
(a) Their boots.
(b) Their shields.
(c) Their weapons.
15. What do the warriors do when they reach Rothgar's hall before embarking from the ship?
(a) Fill their water jugs.
(b) Clean the ship.
(c) Put away the sails.
(d) Dress in their battle gear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surrounds Trelburg?
2. What does Buliwyf find in his destroyed village?
3. What does Ibn say when the interpreter explains the Northmen's fear?
4. Who sent Ibn on his journey?
5. Who travels first on the boat when crossing the river?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)