|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
2. What does the boat that arrive contain?
(a) A letter for Ibn.
(b) Food for travel.
(c) Buliwyf's wife.
(d) One of Buliwyf's male relatives.
3. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
(a) It is very poetic.
(b) It may seem strange to readers.
(c) It is very descriptive.
(d) It reads like fiction.
4. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
(a) The President of the University.
(b) The Caliph.
(c) The Count of Syri.
(d) No one, Ibn volunteers.
5. Where is a dead Northman's body placed?
(a) Buried in the ground.
(b) Burned in the trees.
(c) On a ship.
(d) Put into a stone tomb.
6. What color is the whale that Ibn sees swimming near the boat?
(d) White and black.
7. What does Thorkel want to do with Ibn?
(a) Make him leave immediately.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Have him initiated into the tribe.
(d) Take him to his village.
8. Who sees to the comfort of Ibn's party?
9. Upon what river do several men and horses perish?
(a) The Putnak.
(b) The Danube.
(c) The Gayih.
(d) The Nile.
10. What does the interpreter say to Ibn's comment?
(a) He explains it has to do with their gods.
(b) He says that it always kills someone.
(c) He does not explain the Northmen.
(d) He agrees that all men are afraid of something.
11. What is the purpose of a Northman's burial ritual?
(a) To send the dead man quickly to Paradise.
(b) To help the wife grieve.
(c) To keep down disease.
(d) So the poor in the community are taken care of by the dead.
12. What does Ibn list in his narrative?
(a) How long each leg of the journey will take.
(b) The amount of money needed for the food.
(c) The people he is supposed to meet.
(d) Items to be taken with him.
13. What are the warriors told to leave outside the hall?
(a) Their weapons.
(b) Their shields.
(c) Their boots.
14. About what people does Ibn begin writing about in Chapter Two?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Northmen.
(c) The Britons.
(d) The Bulgars.
15. What does Buliwyf think about waiting to be announced?
(a) It is a vain gesture on Rothgar's part.
(b) It is an honor.
(c) It is inhospitable.
(d) He doesn't express an opinion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not go with Ibn on his journey with the Northmen?
2. How many sons does Rothgar still have living?
3. How long was Ibn gone?
4. What does the herald report during the feast?
5. What surrounds Trelburg?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)