|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first information given about Ibn?
(a) His full name and station.
(b) His beliefs.
(c) His age.
(d) His birthdate.
2. What does Ibn tend to present in his writings?
(a) A lot of personal comments.
(b) A lot of facts.
(c) Very little sense of place.
(d) A lot of quotes.
3. What town does Herger point out to Ibn when they are on the ship?
4. Why are Ibn and his party taken captive?
(a) They practice the wrong religion.
(b) They are thought to carry the plague.
(c) They have not paid the wheel wright.
(d) They are thought to be spies.
5. What is the differences between Ibn's observations of the Vikings and the general European view of them at that time?
(a) The Vikings are much more pacifistic than thought.
(b) They are not as civilized as thought in Europe.
(c) He said that were not the barbarians Europeans thought.
(d) The Vikings are more matriarchal than thought.
6. What amazes Ibn about the hall?
(a) Its elegance.
(b) The paintings on the wall.
(c) The number of women in the hall.
(d) Its low ceilings.
7. What type of tales does Ibn avoid?
(a) Heresy tales.
(b) Bardic tales.
(c) Tales against Islam.
(d) Untrue tales.
8. What does Ibn list in his narrative?
(a) The amount of money needed for the food.
(b) How long each leg of the journey will take.
(c) Items to be taken with him.
(d) The people he is supposed to meet.
9. What does the letter in Chapter One request?
(a) Someone be sent to the person in question #15.
(b) That someone be sent to help fight the monsters in the mists.
(c) That aid in the form of food be sent.
(d) That troops on the border be withdrawn.
10. What does Ibn say when he is writing about something he saw?
(a) I saw this with my own eyes.
(b) I do not expect to be believed.
(c) This is probably true.
(d) Anyone can see this is true.
11. What are the funeral practices for a man of repute in the Oguz?
(a) He is encased in a stone tomb.
(b) He is buried a large pit with all his possessions.
(c) He is hung in the trees.
(d) He is burned on a pyre.
12. How many gates does Trelburg have?
13. What part of the personal habits of the people from question #25 does Ibn write?
(a) Sexual mores.
(b) Family relationships.
(c) Personal hygiene practices.
(d) Marriage customs.
14. What does Herger say is customary behavior for Vikings before a sea voyage?
(a) Visiting family and friends.
(b) Drinking and sport with women.
(c) Praying in Odin's temple.
(d) Sleeping as much as possible.
15. What surrounds Trelburg?
(b) The ocean on one side and a river on the other side.
(c) Two rivers.
(d) A desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ecthgow say to Ibn about the why the whales attack boats?
2. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
3. How does Ibn feel at first as he travels with the Northmen?
4. How prevalent is adultery among the Oguz?
5. What is the story about that Ibn told the hall?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)