|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Northmen's leader?
2. What are the funeral practices for a man of repute in the Oguz?
(a) He is hung in the trees.
(b) He is encased in a stone tomb.
(c) He is burned on a pyre.
(d) He is buried a large pit with all his possessions.
3. What do the warriors do when they reach Rothgar's hall before embarking from the ship?
(a) Clean the ship.
(b) Dress in their battle gear.
(c) Put away the sails.
(d) Fill their water jugs.
4. What amazes Ibn about the hall?
(a) Its elegance.
(b) Its low ceilings.
(c) The number of women in the hall.
(d) The paintings on the wall.
5. How many sons does Rothgar still have living?
6. Who foretells the mists will come the night after the feast?
(a) The Angel of Death.
(b) The King.
(c) The Herald.
(d) The Dwarf Seer.
7. What does Buliwyf do with a small stone carving they find in the farmhouse?
(a) Bury it.
(b) Throw it down and shatter it.
(c) Place it over the graves they dig for the farm family.
(d) Put it in his pocket.
8. What is the story about that Ibn told the hall?
(a) A story about Eygpt.
(b) A hunt for the wild boar.
(c) The history of Islam.
(d) A man who does not change his slippers.
9. How does Ibn list the rivers he has crossed?
(a) The order in which they are crossed.
(b) From the widest to the most narrow.
(c) In alphabetic order.
(d) From the longest to the shortest.
10. With what does Chapter One begin?
(a) An invocation to Allah.
(b) A statement of intention.
(c) A recounting of the introduction.
(d) A lamentation for lives lost.
11. Upon what river do several men and horses perish?
(a) The Danube.
(b) The Gayih.
(c) The Nile.
(d) The Putnak.
12. What does Herger say is customary behavior for Vikings before a sea voyage?
(a) Sleeping as much as possible.
(b) Drinking and sport with women.
(c) Praying in Odin's temple.
(d) Visiting family and friends.
13. Why is there problems with the Northmen's leader?
(a) He is too young.
(b) He is unable to have children.
(c) He does not like to fight.
(d) He is ill.
14. What does Ibn notice the Northmen fear?
15. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
(a) The Count of Syri.
(b) The President of the University.
(c) The Caliph.
(d) No one, Ibn volunteers.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom has a letter arrived where Ibn lives?
2. How long are the Northmen on the river for the first leg of Ibn's journey?
3. Why are Ibn and his party taken captive?
4. Who sees to the comfort of Ibn's party?
5. How long was Ibn gone?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)