|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom has a letter arrived where Ibn lives?
2. How has Ibn acquired most of his knowledge?
(a) From listening to bardic tales.
(b) From his mother.
(c) Out of books.
(d) By traveling.
3. What is the usual distance between each river crossing?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A week.
(d) Two to four days.
4. How does Ibn feel about his coming journey with the Northmen?
5. What does Ibn list in his narrative?
(a) The people he is supposed to meet.
(b) Items to be taken with him.
(c) The amount of money needed for the food.
(d) How long each leg of the journey will take.
6. Who sent Ibn on his journey?
(a) The King of Mesopotamia.
(b) The Prince of Siam.
(c) His mother.
(d) The King of Baghdad.
7. How long are the Northmen on the river for the first leg of Ibn's journey?
(a) A month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Four days.
8. Why do the warriors beat their shields on the ship?
(a) To set up a rhythm for the rowers.
(b) To scare any other ships in the area.
(c) To scare away the sea monsters.
(d) To pray for good wind.
9. What does Thorkel want to do with Ibn?
(a) Take him to his village.
(b) Make him leave immediately.
(c) Have him initiated into the tribe.
(d) Kill him.
10. What color is the whale that Ibn sees swimming near the boat?
(c) White and black.
11. How does Ibn feel at first as he travels with the Northmen?
(a) Surrounded by kindred souls.
(b) Like he belongs in their group.
(c) As if he has never lived.
(d) Isolated and alone.
12. What does Ibn ask when Herger points out the city in question #67 to him?
(a) To be put ashore.
(b) To attack the city for gold.
(c) To stop for a few days.
(d) To not leave him there with the heathens.
13. For what purpose does Ibn write?
(a) To encourage travel.
(b) To make money.
14. Why are Ibn and his party taken captive?
(a) They practice the wrong religion.
(b) They are thought to be spies.
(c) They are thought to carry the plague.
(d) They have not paid the wheel wright.
15. How many times has Ibn traveled away from his home city before this journey?
(b) Five times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How prevalent is adultery among the Oguz?
2. How many gates does Trelburg have?
3. How does Ibn view his coming trip with the Northmen?
4. How is a man's possessions handled in the Northmen culture when he dies?
5. What is the differences between Ibn's observations of the Vikings and the general European view of them at that time?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)