|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ibn become by the end of Chapter Four?
(a) The thirteenth warrior.
(b) The ambassador to the Northmen.
(d) The husband of Buliwyf's sister.
2. What language do Herger and Ibn share?
3. Who sees to the comfort of Ibn's party?
4. What part of the personal habits of the people from question #25 does Ibn write?
(a) Marriage customs.
(b) Sexual mores.
(c) Family relationships.
(d) Personal hygiene practices.
5. How prevalent is adultery among the Oguz?
(a) It does not exist.
(b) Over half the men and a third of the women take lovers outside marriage.
(c) About ten percent of the men commit adultery.
(d) Marriage does not include monogamy.
6. What does Thorkel want to do with Ibn?
(a) Have him initiated into the tribe.
(b) Make him leave immediately.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Take him to his village.
7. What does the herald report during the feast?
(a) The mists will not come that night.
(b) Wulfgar is there.
(c) They are almost out of ale.
(d) Another party has arrived.
8. What happens the night before a funeral with the woman who will be killed to be placed with the dead man?
(a) She is raped by all the men.
(b) She is drugged.
(c) She is tied to a stake during the celebration.
(d) She is left for quiet meditation.
9. Why does Ibn liken the Northmen to animals?
(a) They eat their food raw.
(b) They fight over women.
(c) They do not wash after a toilet.
(d) Their language sounds like growling.
10. What kind of clothing do the Northmen wear?
(a) Beautiful embroidered jackets.
(b) Clothing of fine wool.
(c) Very rough clothing.
(d) Clothing of silk and cotton.
11. Upon what river do several men and horses perish?
(a) The Putnak.
(b) The Nile.
(c) The Gayih.
(d) The Danube.
12. How does Ibn feel at first as he travels with the Northmen?
(a) Isolated and alone.
(b) As if he has never lived.
(c) Surrounded by kindred souls.
(d) Like he belongs in their group.
13. Who does not go with Ibn on his journey with the Northmen?
(a) His brother.
(b) His religious teacher.
(c) His valet.
(d) His interpreter.
14. For what purpose does Ibn write?
(b) To make money.
(d) To encourage travel.
15. With what does Chapter One begin?
(a) A recounting of the introduction.
(b) A lamentation for lives lost.
(c) A statement of intention.
(d) An invocation to Allah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibn ask when Herger points out the city in question #67 to him?
2. What does Buliwyf do with a small stone carving they find in the farmhouse?
3. What do the warriors do when they reach Rothgar's hall before embarking from the ship?
4. Who sent Ibn on his journey?
5. About what people does Ibn begin writing about in Chapter Two?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)