|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ibn sent on his journey?
(a) To Alexandria.
(b) To the Egyptians.
(c) To Rome.
(d) To the Bulgars.
2. What does Herger say is customary behavior for Vikings before a sea voyage?
(a) Visiting family and friends.
(b) Drinking and sport with women.
(c) Praying in Odin's temple.
(d) Sleeping as much as possible.
3. What does Ibn become by the end of Chapter Four?
(a) The ambassador to the Northmen.
(b) The husband of Buliwyf's sister.
(c) The thirteenth warrior.
4. What kind of toast does Wiglif make to Buliwyf?
(a) He makes no toast.
(b) One that has both praise and insult.
(c) A very long, rambling toast.
(d) The traditional toast to a man about to die.
5. Where is a dead Northman's body placed?
(a) Buried in the ground.
(b) On a ship.
(c) Put into a stone tomb.
(d) Burned in the trees.
6. Why are Ibn and his party taken captive?
(a) They practice the wrong religion.
(b) They have not paid the wheel wright.
(c) They are thought to be spies.
(d) They are thought to carry the plague.
7. How many times has Ibn traveled away from his home city before this journey?
(c) Five times.
8. What does the interpreter tell Ibn to do about the situation of which Ibn is informed at the funeral?
(a) He tells Ibn to kill Thorkel.
(b) He tells Ibn to wait and see how things turn out.
(c) He tells Ibn to leave right after the funeral.
(d) He tells Ibn to present his credentials to Buliwyf.
9. What type of houses do merchants of the Northmen use?
(a) They build their merchant house in the trees.
(c) Large wooden houses.
(d) Houses with stone exteriors.
10. What does Buliwyf find in his destroyed village?
(a) His sword.
(b) His dead wife.
(c) A stone image of the mother.
(d) His horse.
11. What kind of clothing do the Northmen wear?
(a) Clothing of silk and cotton.
(b) Beautiful embroidered jackets.
(c) Very rough clothing.
(d) Clothing of fine wool.
12. In what direction is Ibn's party traveling?
13. What kind of head do the warriors see on a spike?
14. Towards where are the defenses of Trelburg focused?
(a) Towards the ocean.
(b) Towards the land.
(c) Towards the river.
(d) Towards the mountains.
15. What is the essence of the people from question #25 culture?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
2. How does Ibn feel about his coming journey with the Northmen?
3. What does the number thirteen correspond to in Viking lore?
4. Who foretells the mists will come the night after the feast?
5. What does Ibn list in his narrative?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)