|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is said in the introduction about Ibn's writing style?
(a) It may seem strange to readers.
(b) It is very descriptive.
(c) It reads like fiction.
(d) It is very poetic.
2. What is Trelburg?
(a) A small village.
(b) A huge city.
(c) A large town.
(d) A military camp.
3. What amazes Ibn about the hall?
(a) The number of women in the hall.
(b) Its low ceilings.
(c) The paintings on the wall.
(d) Its elegance.
4. How many sons does Rothgar still have living?
5. What type of tales does Ibn avoid?
(a) Bardic tales.
(b) Untrue tales.
(c) Heresy tales.
(d) Tales against Islam.
6. What does Ibn become by the end of Chapter Four?
(a) The thirteenth warrior.
(b) The ambassador to the Northmen.
(d) The husband of Buliwyf's sister.
7. What does Ibn say when the interpreter explains the Northmen's fear?
(a) It must be a Viking superstition.
(b) It is silly.
(c) It is prudent but still he does not understand.
(d) He too is afraid of some things.
8. What does the number thirteen correspond to in Viking lore?
(a) The number of enemy a man must kill to be a warrior.
(b) The number of full moons in a year.
(c) The number of Viking gods.
(d) The number of Viking tribes.
9. What kind of clothing do the Northmen wear?
(a) Clothing of fine wool.
(b) Clothing of silk and cotton.
(c) Very rough clothing.
(d) Beautiful embroidered jackets.
10. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
11. From whom has a letter arrived where Ibn lives?
12. What does Ibn notice the Northmen fear?
13. What is the usual distance between each river crossing?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two to four days.
(d) A week.
14. What is the essence of the people from question #25 culture?
15. What are the funeral practices for a man of repute in the Oguz?
(a) He is hung in the trees.
(b) He is burned on a pyre.
(c) He is encased in a stone tomb.
(d) He is buried a large pit with all his possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the position of the man in question #15?
2. What does Ibn learn during the funeral of the Northmen leader?
3. How does Ibn feel about his coming journey with the Northmen?
4. What is the differences between Ibn's observations of the Vikings and the general European view of them at that time?
5. What skill does Ibn say is most noticeable on the first leg of his journey with the Northmen?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)