|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ibn notice the Northmen fear?
2. Who choses Ibn to fulfill the letter's request?
(a) The Caliph.
(b) No one, Ibn volunteers.
(c) The President of the University.
(d) The Count of Syri.
3. What is the name of the Northmen's leader?
4. What does Buliwyf think about waiting to be announced?
(a) It is inhospitable.
(b) It is an honor.
(c) It is a vain gesture on Rothgar's part.
(d) He doesn't express an opinion.
5. What is the story about that Ibn told the hall?
(a) A man who does not change his slippers.
(b) A story about Eygpt.
(c) A hunt for the wild boar.
(d) The history of Islam.
6. Why do the Northmen fear the item in question #55?
(a) It can destroy a house.
(b) It burns their fair skin.
(c) It confuses them.
(d) They are sailors.
7. How does Ibn feel about his coming journey with the Northmen?
8. How prevalent is adultery among the Oguz?
(a) Marriage does not include monogamy.
(b) About ten percent of the men commit adultery.
(c) It does not exist.
(d) Over half the men and a third of the women take lovers outside marriage.
9. What does Ibn tend to present in his writings?
(a) Very little sense of place.
(b) A lot of quotes.
(c) A lot of personal comments.
(d) A lot of facts.
10. What does Ibn list in his narrative?
(a) Items to be taken with him.
(b) How long each leg of the journey will take.
(c) The amount of money needed for the food.
(d) The people he is supposed to meet.
11. Who sent Ibn on his journey?
(a) The Prince of Siam.
(b) His mother.
(c) The King of Mesopotamia.
(d) The King of Baghdad.
12. Who travels first on the boat when crossing the river?
(a) The horses.
(b) All the men.
(d) Women and children.
13. What does Buliwyf find in his destroyed village?
(a) A stone image of the mother.
(b) His dead wife.
(c) His horse.
(d) His sword.
14. What does Ibn observe about the Vikings social customs?
(a) They have a very loose social structure.
(b) They have few long time rituals.
(c) They have a strong sense of ritual.
(d) They have no cohesive society.
15. What does Ecthgow say to Ibn about the why the whales attack boats?
(a) To stop the noise from the shields.
(b) To mate with them.
(c) To play with the boats.
(d) To knock men into the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Ibn about the hall?
2. How has Ibn acquired most of his knowledge?
3. In what does Ibn record his journey?
4. How long are the Northmen on the river for the first leg of Ibn's journey?
5. Why do the warriors beat their shields on the ship?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)