|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times has Ibn traveled away from his home city before this journey?
(a) Five times.
2. Who sees to the comfort of Ibn's party?
3. What skill does Ibn say is most noticeable on the first leg of his journey with the Northmen?
(a) Their ability to woo women.
(b) Their sailing skills.
(c) Their skills playing chess.
(d) Their fighting skills.
4. What does the interpreter tell Ibn to do about the situation of which Ibn is informed at the funeral?
(a) He tells Ibn to leave right after the funeral.
(b) He tells Ibn to kill Thorkel.
(c) He tells Ibn to wait and see how things turn out.
(d) He tells Ibn to present his credentials to Buliwyf.
5. What is the usual distance between each river crossing?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two to four days.
(d) A week.
6. What does Ibn notice the Northmen fear?
7. What town does Herger point out to Ibn when they are on the ship?
8. About what people does Ibn begin writing about in Chapter Two?
(a) The Northmen.
(b) The Britons.
(c) The Bulgars.
(d) The Turks.
9. Who does not go with Ibn on his journey with the Northmen?
(a) His valet.
(b) His religious teacher.
(c) His interpreter.
(d) His brother.
10. Towards where are the defenses of Trelburg focused?
(a) Towards the river.
(b) Towards the ocean.
(c) Towards the land.
(d) Towards the mountains.
11. What kind of toast does Wiglif make to Buliwyf?
(a) A very long, rambling toast.
(b) The traditional toast to a man about to die.
(c) He makes no toast.
(d) One that has both praise and insult.
12. How is a man's possessions handled in the Northmen culture when he dies?
(a) They all go to his wife.
(b) They are divided into three parts.
(c) They are burned.
(d) They are given away to the poor.
13. What does Ecthgow say to Ibn about the why the whales attack boats?
(a) To stop the noise from the shields.
(b) To mate with them.
(c) To play with the boats.
(d) To knock men into the water.
14. What is the position of the man in question #15?
(a) King of the Saqaliba.
(b) War Leader of the Northmen.
(c) Emperor of Rome.
(d) King of the Britons.
15. How long are the Northmen on the river for the first leg of Ibn's journey?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) Four days.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the warriors beat their shields on the ship?
2. Upon what river do several men and horses perish?
3. Who sent Ibn on his journey?
4. What does Buliwyf find in his destroyed village?
5. What does Buliwyf do with a small stone carving they find in the farmhouse?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)