|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ibn sent on his journey?
(a) To the Bulgars.
(b) To Alexandria.
(c) To the Egyptians.
(d) To Rome.
2. What kind of toast does Wiglif make to Buliwyf?
(a) The traditional toast to a man about to die.
(b) He makes no toast.
(c) A very long, rambling toast.
(d) One that has both praise and insult.
3. How many sons does Rothgar still have living?
4. What is the differences between Ibn's observations of the Vikings and the general European view of them at that time?
(a) The Vikings are much more pacifistic than thought.
(b) They are not as civilized as thought in Europe.
(c) The Vikings are more matriarchal than thought.
(d) He said that were not the barbarians Europeans thought.
5. What does Ibn become by the end of Chapter Four?
(a) The thirteenth warrior.
(c) The ambassador to the Northmen.
(d) The husband of Buliwyf's sister.
6. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
7. What does Ibn say when the interpreter explains the Northmen's fear?
(a) It is prudent but still he does not understand.
(b) It is silly.
(c) He too is afraid of some things.
(d) It must be a Viking superstition.
8. Why are the warriors of Trelburg clean?
(a) They wash in the river regularly.
(b) There is 200 days of rain every year.
(c) They swim in the ocean everyday.
(d) They have hot springs inside.
9. What does the interpreter say to Ibn's comment?
(a) He does not explain the Northmen.
(b) He agrees that all men are afraid of something.
(c) He explains it has to do with their gods.
(d) He says that it always kills someone.
10. What does Ecthgow say to Ibn about the why the whales attack boats?
(a) To play with the boats.
(b) To knock men into the water.
(c) To mate with them.
(d) To stop the noise from the shields.
11. What do the warriors see on the ground at the farmhouse where they stop?
(a) A dead horse.
(b) A stack of arranged firewood ready to burn.
(c) Footprints with claw marks.
(d) Two swords.
12. How does Ibn feel about his coming journey with the Northmen?
13. What does Ibn observe about the Vikings social customs?
(a) They have a strong sense of ritual.
(b) They have few long time rituals.
(c) They have a very loose social structure.
(d) They have no cohesive society.
14. What does Ibn ask when Herger points out the city in question #67 to him?
(a) To not leave him there with the heathens.
(b) To stop for a few days.
(c) To attack the city for gold.
(d) To be put ashore.
15. Upon what river do several men and horses perish?
(a) The Putnak.
(b) The Danube.
(c) The Gayih.
(d) The Nile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibn tend to present in his writings?
2. Who is Wulfgar's father?
3. Where is a dead Northman's body placed?
4. What is the usual distance between each river crossing?
5. What are the funeral practices for a man of repute in the Oguz?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)