|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the interpreter say to Ibn's comment?
(a) He explains it has to do with their gods.
(b) He says that it always kills someone.
(c) He does not explain the Northmen.
(d) He agrees that all men are afraid of something.
2. How does Ibn view his coming trip with the Northmen?
(a) As a great adventure.
(b) As a wonderful way to study another culture.
(c) As a way to gather a great deal of information.
(d) As a death sentence.
3. What language do Herger and Ibn share?
4. What town does Herger point out to Ibn when they are on the ship?
5. Why are the warriors of Trelburg clean?
(a) They swim in the ocean everyday.
(b) They have hot springs inside.
(c) They wash in the river regularly.
(d) There is 200 days of rain every year.
6. What do the merchants have primarily in their houses?
(a) Religious artifacts.
(b) Cloth and spices.
(c) Beautiful girls.
7. What type of tales does Ibn avoid?
(a) Bardic tales.
(b) Tales against Islam.
(c) Heresy tales.
(d) Untrue tales.
8. What do the warriors see on the ground at the farmhouse where they stop?
(a) Two swords.
(b) A stack of arranged firewood ready to burn.
(c) A dead horse.
(d) Footprints with claw marks.
9. What skill does Ibn say is most noticeable on the first leg of his journey with the Northmen?
(a) Their ability to woo women.
(b) Their skills playing chess.
(c) Their fighting skills.
(d) Their sailing skills.
10. Where is a dead Northman's body placed?
(a) Put into a stone tomb.
(b) Buried in the ground.
(c) On a ship.
(d) Burned in the trees.
11. What does the boat that arrive contain?
(a) Food for travel.
(b) Buliwyf's wife.
(c) One of Buliwyf's male relatives.
(d) A letter for Ibn.
12. How prevalent is adultery among the Oguz?
(a) It does not exist.
(b) Over half the men and a third of the women take lovers outside marriage.
(c) About ten percent of the men commit adultery.
(d) Marriage does not include monogamy.
13. With what does Chapter One begin?
(a) An invocation to Allah.
(b) A statement of intention.
(c) A lamentation for lives lost.
(d) A recounting of the introduction.
14. How does Buliwyf find the concept of blessing food?
15. Why does Ibn liken the Northmen to animals?
(a) They do not wash after a toilet.
(b) Their language sounds like growling.
(c) They eat their food raw.
(d) They fight over women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibn observe about the Vikings social customs?
2. Why do the Northmen fear the item in question #55?
3. Who does not go with Ibn on his journey with the Northmen?
4. What part of the personal habits of the people from question #25 does Ibn write?
5. Where is Ibn sent on his journey?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)