|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yudhi so good at that he should be famous for this particular talent, according to Liz?
2. Wayan asks Liz if she understands _________ during the time the two spend together, helping to heal Liz.
3. Liz decides, as a result of learning about the Bali people, to cultivate her own ____________ in her life.
4. The New Zealand poet/plumber describes Liz as slippery as a ___________ when this friend heads off.
5. What kind of tree does Liz kiss when she is walking around during one of her last nights in the Ashram?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the process of choosing one's thoughts, according to the instruction of Richard?
2. What does Liz do in order to ensure her mind is clear about what she wants? What choices does she make?
3. What does Ketut do for the people who come to him as a healer from the area and surrounding areas?
4. What does Liz have to tell Ketut in order for him to show some sort of recognition of her?
5. What are the two things Liz feels she has always done wrong when it comes to men and being with men?
6. What does Liz promise to Richard before he leaves to go home to his own family?
7. To what does the plumber/poet from New Zealand liken divorce when a group begins to discuss this idea?
8. What does Liz do in order to celebrate her liberation from her feelings about divorce and her ex-husband?
9. What is the thought Liz is having which encourages her to try out the Vipassana meditation?
10. What does Ketut show to Liz when they meet at his home during the first part of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ketut figure in the story is one who is almost stereotypical, with the looks he has and the way that he is described in his actions.
Part 1: Do you think the gurus are important and valuable people in the world?
Part 2: Why do you think people continue to seek out gurus to help them in their lives?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever seek out a guru in your own life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Liz writes pleas of help in a journal, only to respond to herself with soothing words.
Part 1: Why do you think that Liz writes down her cries for help instead of asking for help?
Part 2: How do you think you would respond if you felt you had a crisis of faith?
Part 3: Who do you think is writing back to Liz when she writes back to the words she writes?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the book, Liz gives thanks for not being tempted to kiss or to sleep with Giovanni.
Part 1: Why do you think that giving into temptation would be such a bad thing for Liz?
Part 2: Do you think that avoiding temptation is a good thing to practice?
Part 3: How do you think you might try to avoid the temptation of another person?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)