|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz begin to realize she doesn't know how to do any more, and she doesn't want to ruin her new life?
2. Complex religious ceremonies mark the ___________ rites of passage during a Bali villager's life.
3. Liz sees the new students as the __________ from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, confused and disoriented.
4. What is Liz in no condition to do on account of her not being able to sleep one night?
5. With whom does Liz take an American style road trip around the area of Bali?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Sufi image which Liz uses to explain to Wayan the opportunities before her now?
2. What is the problem that Wayan is suffering, which she shares with Liz during their time together?
3. What is the thought Liz is having which encourages her to try out the Vipassana meditation?
4. To what does the plumber/poet from New Zealand liken divorce when a group begins to discuss this idea?
5. What does Liz remember Richard telling her about finding love and getting back her sexual power?
6. What does Liz do in order to help herself sleep when she has so much trouble one night?
7. What does Liz have to tell Ketut in order for him to show some sort of recognition of her?
8. What happens to Liz's prayers when she is becoming more clear about what she wants from her life?
9. What does Liz learn about the history of Bali when she checks out books on Bali from the library?
10. What does Liz promise to Richard before he leaves to go home to his own family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ketut figure in the story is one who is almost stereotypical, with the looks he has and the way that he is described in his actions.
Part 1: Do you think the gurus are important and valuable people in the world?
Part 2: Why do you think people continue to seek out gurus to help them in their lives?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever seek out a guru in your own life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book, Liz gives thanks for not being tempted to kiss or to sleep with Giovanni.
Part 1: Why do you think that giving into temptation would be such a bad thing for Liz?
Part 2: Do you think that avoiding temptation is a good thing to practice?
Part 3: How do you think you might try to avoid the temptation of another person?
Essay Topic 3
During her affair with Felipe, Liz neglects her meditation and her trips to see Ketut, her guru.
Part 1: Why do you think Liz stays away from her spiritual practices as she is falling in love?
Part 2: Do you think that Liz's spiritual progress has faltered since she's fallen in love?
Part 3: How do you think Liz could have balanced her spiritual life and her love more?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)