|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though she knows that she needs to move on in her life, Liz continues to miss __________ and wishes to be with him.
2. The letters that Ketut shows Liz are in regards to others asking about his ____________, according to the book.
3. Liz sees the new students as the __________ from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, confused and disoriented.
4. While Ketut's age cannot be determined, it is said that he was born on a ____________ which he repeats to himself.
5. What is the feeling at the Ashram as the friends of Liz begin to leave, according to the writing in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liz do in order to help out Wayan with her real estate problems, though she is thought to be nutty for it?
2. What does Liz do in order to celebrate her liberation from her feelings about divorce and her ex-husband?
3. What does Ketut say about the palm reading of Felipe when he meets him for the first time?
4. What does Felipe point out to Liz after she tells him that she wants to be friends with him?
5. What is the complaint that Tulsi has when she is talking with Liz as they get to know each other?
6. Of what is it said that interrupting is a sign, which Liz learns in her studying since it is a problem for her?
7. What is the Sufi image which Liz uses to explain to Wayan the opportunities before her now?
8. What does Liz learn about the history of Bali when she checks out books on Bali from the library?
9. What does Liz have to tell Ketut in order for him to show some sort of recognition of her?
10. What does Ketut do for the people who come to him as a healer from the area and surrounding areas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liz begins to pray for others when she is praying and meditating, rather than thinking of herself.
Part 1: Why do you think many people pray only for themselves and for their needs?
Part 2: How do you think a person changes when they begin to think of others more than themselves?
Part 3: Why do you think Liz begins to realize that praying for others is what she should do?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the book, Liz gives thanks for not being tempted to kiss or to sleep with Giovanni.
Part 1: Why do you think that giving into temptation would be such a bad thing for Liz?
Part 2: Do you think that avoiding temptation is a good thing to practice?
Part 3: How do you think you might try to avoid the temptation of another person?
Essay Topic 3
Liz becomes afraid when she realizes that she is a little rusty when it comes to flirting.
Part 1: Why does flirting seem to make Liz so nervous in her actions?
Part 2: Do you think there is a right and a wrong way of flirting?
Part 3: How do you think others feel about the way that Liz interacts with them as she flirts?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)