|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offers Liz ever-shifting images that begin to drive her crazy, even as she is trying to push them away?
2. What is the time at which the students at the Ashram are expected to rise in the morning?
3. Liz compares her entrance to the Ashram as one might introduce a new ____________ to the farm.
4. What is the name of the magazine for which one of the writers Liz meets writes, according to the story?
5. Who does Liz have in her mind when she is preparing meals, according to the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prayer that Liz offers up when she is walking away from Giovanni at the start of the book?
2. What is the schedule the students have to follow, in terms of the time they need to get up and the time they need to go to bed?
3. What does the yogic path do for the person who uses it as more than just an exercise practice?
4. What have Liz's friends told her about herself whenever she is in a relationship with a man?
5. What does Liz do when she is in the midst of her divorce, in order to make herself feel better about her life?
6. What is happening when Liz arrives at the Ashram on New Year's Eve, in which she joins?
7. Why does Liz decide that she needs to swear herself to celibacy for the time being, at the start of the story?
8. What does Lucca Spaghetti like to take Liz to do when they are going out to eat in Italy?
9. Why is the guru not in residence in the Ashram where Liz is staying, according to her explanation?
10. What happens when Liz decides to pray to God for the first time during that dark period of her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucca talks about how he cannot imagine living anywhere but Rome where his mama lives.
Part 1: Why do you think Lucca wants to always live near his family?
Part 2: Do you think it's healthy to live your entire life in one place? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think your life might change if you knew today that you were not going to live anywhere but where you are now?
Essay Topic 2
Liz begins to fall in love with someone, falling head over heels in the process.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good idea to fall head over heels in love?
Part 2: Do you think that Liz was ready to fall in love during this part of the story?
Part 3: How do you think Liz could be more reasonable in the way that she falls in love?
Essay Topic 3
Liz seems to be drawn into spirituality from the very start, and even the doubts of God are proof that she does believe in something else.
Part 1: Why do you think Liz is so quick to say that she does not believe in God?
Part 2: Do you think that Liz believes in God anyway, even though she refuses to say so at first?
Part 3: How do you think a person becomes closer to their faith?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)