|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Liz decides that she will spend ________ months each in Italy, India, and Indonesia, according to the story.
2. How long was Liz married before she and her husband decided to get a divorce, according to the story?
3. Only __________ are conscious of realizing God, as Liz points out in the book has been taught to her.
4. The experience that Liz has with God begins a ______________, but not a conversion, according to the story.
5. What line does Liz remember from Jaws when she struggles with not breaking down? "We're gonna need a bigger _________"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Liz decide to cry when she is feeling despondent about her inability to transform herself?
2. What happens when Liz decides to pray to God for the first time during that dark period of her life?
3. What does Liz do when she is in the midst of her divorce, in order to make herself feel better about her life?
4. How does Liz begin to define pleasure for herself, allowing herself to relax and be happy for once in her life?
5. Why do Giovanni and Liz meet frequently, according to the beginning of the book?
6. What happens when the Lazio team doesn't win the soccer match that Liz and Lucca attend?
7. To what does Liz compare her arrival at the Ashram when she is first coming into India?
8. What happens when a person is able to stand in the eternal present as a result of practicing yoga?
9. What does Liz do as a result of going to a Hindu meditation group at the suggestion of David?
10. Why does one of Liz's friends know of all of the best places to eat in Rome when she is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liz decides to meditate among the mosquitoes in order to see if she can resist her normal reflex to hit the insects.
Part 1: Why do you think Liz decided to test herself in this way?
Part 2: What other practices might Liz have tried in order to see if she could settle down?
Part 3: What do you do when you need to settle your mind during the day?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that in prayer, one speaks to God while in meditation one listens to God, though Liz finds it frustrating.
Part 1: What do you think the value of prayer might be in someone's life?
Part 2: How do you think meditation might change the way a person acts and feels?
Part 3: Why do you think meditation is so celebrated in the world? Do you think you'll practice this someday?
Essay Topic 3
It's interesting to note that Liz does not go into details about why her marriage failed or what led her to sob on her bathroom floor.
Part 1: Why do you think that Liz avoids the details of her failing marriage in the beginning of the book?
Part 2: Do you think the book would have been more powerful if she had given the details of her marriage?
Part 3: Is it necessary to always know all of the details about why things go wrong for characters in a book?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)