|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the walking tour in the city which takes Liz all the way to her favorite spot on the shore opposite the Tiber Island?
2. __________ is Liz's best friend from her Italian class, according to the story.
3. To where does Liz give a girl directions, because this girl is traveling from Australia and needs to find her way eventually?
4. What is the name of the relationship in which two people teach each other how to speak their languages?
5. Who comes to visit Liz, dragging her around the city and helping her through her breakup grief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the yogic path do for the person who uses it as more than just an exercise practice?
2. What does Liz do when she is in the midst of her divorce, in order to make herself feel better about her life?
3. Why doesn't Rome compete with the other cities in the European Union, according to Liz?
4. What does Liz do when she begins to hear her ex-husband's voice in her head when she is cooking for herself?
5. Why do Giovanni and Liz meet frequently, according to the beginning of the book?
6. Why does Liz become lonely and depressed in her new Italian home, according to her writing in the book?
7. What happens when Liz's friends try to tell her to relax when she is in Italy on her trip?
8. What is the schedule the students have to follow, in terms of the time they need to get up and the time they need to go to bed?
9. What happens when a person is able to stand in the eternal present as a result of practicing yoga?
10. Why does one of Liz's friends know of all of the best places to eat in Rome when she is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's interesting to note that Liz does not go into details about why her marriage failed or what led her to sob on her bathroom floor.
Part 1: Why do you think that Liz avoids the details of her failing marriage in the beginning of the book?
Part 2: Do you think the book would have been more powerful if she had given the details of her marriage?
Part 3: Is it necessary to always know all of the details about why things go wrong for characters in a book?
Essay Topic 2
The Ketut figure in the story is one who is almost stereotypical, with the looks he has and the way that he is described in his actions.
Part 1: Do you think the gurus are important and valuable people in the world?
Part 2: Why do you think people continue to seek out gurus to help them in their lives?
Part 3: Do you think you would ever seek out a guru in your own life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Liz finds it incredibly brave when some of the Ashram devotees decide to take a vow of silence.
Part 1: Why do you think people take vows of silence?
Part 2: Do you think you could maintain silence for a week's time? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a person might change after being silent for a week?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)