|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What New Year does Liz help to chant in upon her arrival at the Ashram and in India for the next part of her trip?
2. The sales clerk tells Liz that she looks like a buffalo ___________ in her new wide pants, according to the story.
3. Liz compares her entrance to the Ashram as one might introduce a new ____________ to the farm.
4. Who is the filmmaker who wants to learn English and becomes Liz's other partner in learning Italian?
5. Only __________ are conscious of realizing God, as Liz points out in the book has been taught to her.
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Liz compare her arrival at the Ashram when she is first coming into India?
2. Why does Liz become lonely and depressed in her new Italian home, according to her writing in the book?
3. What is the meaning of the new mantra which Liz is going to be using during her stay at the Ashram?
4. Why doesn't Liz decide to cry when she is feeling despondent about her inability to transform herself?
5. What happens when a person is able to stand in the eternal present as a result of practicing yoga?
6. Why is the guru not in residence in the Ashram where Liz is staying, according to her explanation?
7. Why does Liz decide that she needs to swear herself to celibacy for the time being, at the start of the story?
8. Why does Liz's guru suggest that she use mantras in her life and in her daily practice?
9. What does Liz do when she is in the midst of her divorce, in order to make herself feel better about her life?
10. What happens when Liz's friends try to tell her to relax when she is in Italy on her trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Liz finds it incredibly brave when some of the Ashram devotees decide to take a vow of silence.
Part 1: Why do you think people take vows of silence?
Part 2: Do you think you could maintain silence for a week's time? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a person might change after being silent for a week?
Essay Topic 2
Lucca talks about how he cannot imagine living anywhere but Rome where his mama lives.
Part 1: Why do you think Lucca wants to always live near his family?
Part 2: Do you think it's healthy to live your entire life in one place? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think your life might change if you knew today that you were not going to live anywhere but where you are now?
Essay Topic 3
Liz becomes afraid when she realizes that she is a little rusty when it comes to flirting.
Part 1: Why does flirting seem to make Liz so nervous in her actions?
Part 2: Do you think there is a right and a wrong way of flirting?
Part 3: How do you think others feel about the way that Liz interacts with them as she flirts?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)