|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Adam to try to get to know Cal better?
2. What does Will Hamilton export during wartime?
3. Why does Cal struggle to make friends after his family moves?
4. Who tells Aron the truth about his mother?
5. For what does the doctor scold Tom when Tom comes to get him to help Dessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Adam the idea to ship lettuce to the East Coast?
2. What does Ethel want from Kate, and how does Kate respond to this?
3. What information does Joe Valery uncover about Ethel?
4. What does Dessie suggest to Tom to make their lives more exciting?
5. What does Joe Valery hope to do while working for Kate?
6. What does Kate know about Joe Valery, and how does she plan to use this secret information?
7. What does Lee want to do after leaving Adam's service?
8. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
9. How does Cal discover that his mother is still alive?
10. Why does Kate keep pictures of her clients, and how does Adam feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faye was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence -- however brief --- alter the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Cal endures many trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons did he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
There were many different symbols in this book. What were these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)