|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate do when she learns that Cal is her son?
2. How long had it been since Adam had heard from Charles when he tries to contact him after his meeting with Kate?
3. How does Adam contact his brother after meeting with Kate?
4. What does Cal say he actively tries not to be?
5. What does Cal do at night while his family sleeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom imagine after Dessie's death?
2. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
3. What does Lee want to do after leaving Adam's service?
4. Why does Samuel tell Adam the truth about Kate and her brothel house?
5. What does Tom write in his letter to Liza after Dessie's death?
6. Why does Samuel worry about his son, Tom?
7. What does Kate do when Adam tries to leave her brothel?
8. Why does Kate keep pictures of her clients, and how does Adam feel about this?
9. How does Cal discover that his mother is still alive?
10. What does Joe Valery hope to do while working for Kate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biblical allusions were prevalent in this book, even making it into the title. What were some of these allusions, and how did their inclusion shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Faye was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence -- however brief --- alter the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how did they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)