|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had it been since Adam had heard from Charles when he tries to contact him after his meeting with Kate?
2. What physical malady does Kate develop?
3. How does Tom learn that his father has died?
4. What kind of shop does Dessie own?
5. How much money does Adam have left after his first shipment is ruined?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom write in his letter to Liza after Dessie's death?
2. How does Aron feel about his time at college?
3. What gives Adam the idea to ship lettuce to the East Coast?
4. How does Adam feel after seeing Kate in the brothel, and what does he do?
5. What does Kate do when Adam tries to leave her brothel?
6. Why does Samuel tell Adam the truth about Kate and her brothel house?
7. Why does Samuel worry about his son, Tom?
8. What does Lee want to do after leaving Adam's service?
9. What does Kate do after meeting with Cal?
10. What does Dessie suggest to Tom to make their lives more exciting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger is an emotion that emerged in a few very sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these instances, and how were the outcome of the plot and the characters involved in those scene affected by this anger?
Essay Topic 2
Cal endures many trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons did he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)