|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical malady does Kate develop?
2. What does Lee know about Samuel when they meet for the last time?
3. What does Aron want to do in his future?
4. How much money does Cal get from his business deal with Will Hamilton?
5. What is the name of Samuel's oldest daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ethel learn the truth about Faye's death?
2. What happens when Aron is alone with Abra?
3. Why does Samuel worry about his son, Tom?
4. What does Kate do when Adam tries to leave her brothel?
5. What does Kate know about Joe Valery, and how does she plan to use this secret information?
6. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
7. What does Dessie suggest to Tom to make their lives more exciting?
8. What question does Cal ask Kate when he meets her?
9. What does Lee want to do after leaving Adam's service?
10. Why does Abra tell Lee that she feels unworthy of Aron's love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cathy displayed a very controlling nature in this book. How did her need for control affect the people around her, and why was this controlling nature so significant?
Essay Topic 2
Cal had an important choice to make after meeting his mother. What was this choice, how did he make his decision, and how did this decision affect his future in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Adam's business decisions had a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What were these business decisions, and how did their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How did the different main characters respond to these decisions?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)