|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Samuel's oldest daughter?
2. What university does Aron attend?
3. What does Cal say he actively tries not to be?
4. Why does Samuel worry about Tom?
5. Where does Dessie feel sharp pain at times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Samuel tell Adam the truth about Kate and her brothel house?
2. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
3. What does Joe Valery hope to do while working for Kate?
4. How does Cal discover that his mother is still alive?
5. What happens when Aron is alone with Abra?
6. What does Tom imagine after Dessie's death?
7. Why does Kate keep pictures of her clients, and how does Adam feel about this?
8. Why does Abra tell Lee that she feels unworthy of Aron's love?
9. What does Ethel want from Kate, and how does Kate respond to this?
10. How does Adam feel after seeing Kate in the brothel, and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faye was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence -- however brief --- alter the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Individuality and self expression were two things that were very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how did these instances alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Cal and Aron were similar characters in this book, and yet there were some marked differences, even though they were twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)