|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate tell Adam that helps him to let go of his love for her?
2. What is the name of the girl Aron wants to marry?
3. Where does Dessie go after closing her shop?
4. What does George Hamilton sell?
5. Why does Cal struggle to make friends after his family moves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ethel learn the truth about Faye's death?
2. What does Tom write in his letter to Liza after Dessie's death?
3. What happens when Aron is alone with Abra?
4. How does Will make a lot of money during the war?
5. What does Lee want to do after leaving Adam's service?
6. What gives Adam the idea to ship lettuce to the East Coast?
7. Why does Samuel worry about his son, Tom?
8. How does Cal discover that his mother is still alive?
9. What does Joe Valery hope to do while working for Kate?
10. What does Tom imagine after Dessie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cal and Aron were similar characters in this book, and yet there were some marked differences, even though they were twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
Essay Topic 2
Anger is an emotion that emerged in a few very sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these instances, and how were the outcome of the plot and the characters involved in those scene affected by this anger?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where did they appear, and how did the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)