|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Dessie's business to fail?
2. For what does the doctor scold Tom when Tom comes to get him to help Dessie?
3. What does Lee know about Samuel when they meet for the last time?
4. What does Aron want to do in his future?
5. Where does Dessie go after closing her shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kate keep pictures of her clients, and how does Adam feel about this?
2. What question does Cal ask Kate when he meets her?
3. What does Joe Valery hope to do while working for Kate?
4. How does Aron feel about his time at college?
5. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
6. What does Kate do after meeting with Cal?
7. Why does Samuel tell Adam the truth about Kate and her brothel house?
8. What does Kate know about Joe Valery, and how does she plan to use this secret information?
9. Why does Abra tell Lee that she feels unworthy of Aron's love?
10. Why does Samuel worry about his son, Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how did they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Biblical allusions were prevalent in this book, even making it into the title. What were some of these allusions, and how did their inclusion shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Cal and Aron were similar characters in this book, and yet there were some marked differences, even though they were twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)