|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Samuel's oldest daughter?
2. Where does Aron spend most of his time at college?
3. What physical malady does Kate develop?
4. What does Kate tell Adam that helps him to let go of his love for her?
5. What does Tom see Dessie do before he rides for a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Samuel worry about his son, Tom?
2. What does Joe Valery hope to do while working for Kate?
3. What does Kate do after meeting with Cal?
4. What does Kate know about Joe Valery, and how does she plan to use this secret information?
5. How does Cal discover that his mother is still alive?
6. What does Ethel want from Kate, and how does Kate respond to this?
7. How does Adam feel after seeing Kate in the brothel, and what does he do?
8. Why does Abra tell Lee that she feels unworthy of Aron's love?
9. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
10. What does Tom write in his letter to Liza after Dessie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between Adam and Kate change throughout the course of the plot, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Cal and Aron were similar characters in this book, and yet there were some marked differences, even though they were twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
Essay Topic 3
Biblical allusions were prevalent in this book, even making it into the title. What were some of these allusions, and how did their inclusion shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)