|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cathy tell the other girls that work with her about their boss?
2. How does Cathy feel about moving where Adam wants to after their marriage?
3. What is Cathy's last name?
4. Who is the narrator of the book?
5. Where does Cyrus move after Adam goes to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cathy's parents die?
2. What does Adam hire Lee to do?
3. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
4. What does Cathy do to the man who helps her deliver her babies, and how does she respond?
5. How does Adam feel about Cathy shortly after they are married?
6. What is included in the first chapter of the novel?
7. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
8. What does Adam name his boys, and why?
9. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
10. How is George described when he is born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Individuality and self expression were two things that were very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how did these instances alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Biblical allusions were prevalent in this book, even making it into the title. What were some of these allusions, and how did their inclusion shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)