|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Horace suspicious of Adam's wound?
2. What is Samuel's occupation?
3. How does Adam feel about his new wife?
4. What does Cyrus tell Adam before he leaves home for the first time?
5. Where does Cathy injure Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adam feel about Cathy shortly after they are married?
2. How is George described when he is born?
3. What happens when Adam opens the door to Cathy's room after he has locked her in?
4. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
5. What is Adam's ranch in California like?
6. What does Adam name his boys, and why?
7. Whom does Adam blame for the sad state of his boys?
8. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
9. How does Samuel support his family?
10. How are the Hamilton daughters described by the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Anger is an emotion that emerged in a few very sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these instances, and how were the outcome of the plot and the characters involved in those scene affected by this anger?
Essay Topic 3
Cal had an important choice to make after meeting his mother. What was this choice, how did he make his decision, and how did this decision affect his future in the plot?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)