|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cathy say she is doing after she gives birth?
2. What is Lee hired to do for Adam?
3. Why does Adam ask Samuel for help?
4. How does Cyrus raise his children?
5. What name does Cathy take on after her parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
2. How does Samuel support his family?
3. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
4. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
5. What does Cathy do to the man who helps her deliver her babies, and how does she respond?
6. How does Kate act after Faye's death?
7. How are the Hamilton daughters described by the narrator?
8. How is George described when he is born?
9. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
10. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cal had an important choice to make after meeting his mother. What was this choice, how did he make his decision, and how did this decision affect his future in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Cathy displayed a very controlling nature in this book. How did her need for control affect the people around her, and why was this controlling nature so significant?
Essay Topic 3
How did the relationship between Adam and Kate change throughout the course of the plot, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)