|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam ask Samuel for help with?
2. Who does Adam say is his voice of reason?
3. How does Adam say he got wounded?
4. What is the name of Samuel's wife?
5. How does Cyrus raise his children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Adam opens the door to Cathy's room after he has locked her in?
2. How does Samuel support his family?
3. What is included in the first chapter of the novel?
4. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
5. How do Charles and Adam take the news of their large inheritance?
6. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
7. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
8. What gift does Faye give to Kate after she had been working for a little while?
9. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
10. Why does Cyrus not encourage Charles to join the Army like Adam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how did they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
To which character did you relate most in this book? Why? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Faye was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence -- however brief --- alter the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)