|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of the twins after Cathy leaves?
2. Where did Adam grow up?
3. What is the name of Samuel's wife?
4. What year does Cyrus die?
5. What gift does Cathy's new boss give her after she leaves Adam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cathy do to the man who helps her deliver her babies, and how does she respond?
2. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
3. How does Cyrus' first wife die?
4. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
5. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
6. How does Adam feel about Cathy shortly after they are married?
7. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
8. What does Adam name his boys, and why?
9. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
10. What gift does Faye give to Kate after she had been working for a little while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faye was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence -- however brief --- alter the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Cathy displayed a very controlling nature in this book. How did her need for control affect the people around her, and why was this controlling nature so significant?
Essay Topic 3
There were many different symbols in this book. What were these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)