|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call Cathy?
2. What does Mr. Edwards hire Cathy to do?
3. What year does Cyrus die?
4. What does Cathy do to the man who helps her deliver her babies?
5. From whom does Mrs. Trask get her venereal disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Adam fights with Samuel in his house?
2. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
3. Whom does Adam blame for the sad state of his boys?
4. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
5. What does Cathy do to the man who helps her deliver her babies, and how does she respond?
6. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
7. How does Cathy get what she wants from her classmates, and how do they feel about this?
8. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
9. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
10. How do Charles and Adam take the news of their large inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many different symbols in this book. What were these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Adam's business decisions had a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What were these business decisions, and how did their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How did the different main characters respond to these decisions?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)