|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles think Cyrus came across the money for his inheritance?
2. What can Cathy hear all day every day after she first moves to the ranch?
3. How does Samuel describe Cathy?
4. What is the name of Cyrus' second son?
5. What kind of soil is on Samuel's land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee want to do after leaving Adam's service?
2. How does Samuel support his family?
3. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
4. What does Cathy's father do when she tries to run away?
5. How does Cathy get what she wants from her classmates, and how do they feel about this?
6. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
7. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
8. Why does Samuel worry about his son, Tom?
9. How does Cal respond to the news that his brother died at war?
10. What does Kate do after meeting with Cal?
Essay Topic 1
To which character did you relate most in this book? Why? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did the relationship between Adam and Kate change throughout the course of the plot, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Adam's business decisions had a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What were these business decisions, and how did their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How did the different main characters respond to these decisions?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)