|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lee from?
2. What does Cathy kill while her mother is away?
3. How does Cathy feel about moving where Adam wants to after their marriage?
4. Where is Mrs. Trask when she dies?
5. To where does Adam want to move after he gets married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Samuel support his family?
2. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
3. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
4. What happens when Adam opens the door to Cathy's room after he has locked her in?
5. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
6. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
7. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
8. Whom does Adam blame for the sad state of his boys?
9. What is Adam's ranch in California like?
10. What gift does Faye give to Kate after she had been working for a little while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Adam's business decisions had a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What were these business decisions, and how did their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How did the different main characters respond to these decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Biblical allusions were prevalent in this book, even making it into the title. What were some of these allusions, and how did their inclusion shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where did they appear, and how did the presence of these feelings change the characters who were involved in those scenes?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)