|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the book?
2. How does Cathy dress before meeting with her new boss?
3. What is Cathy's last name?
4. What is Adam's last name?
5. How does Cathy feel about moving where Adam wants to after their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam name his boys, and why?
2. How do Charles and Adam take the news of their large inheritance?
3. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
4. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
5. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
6. How are the Hamilton daughters described by the narrator?
7. How does Cyrus' first wife die?
8. Whom does Adam blame for the sad state of his boys?
9. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
10. How does Cathy get what she wants from her classmates, and how do they feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faye was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence -- however brief --- alter the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Cal and Aron were similar characters in this book, and yet there were some marked differences, even though they were twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)