|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Cathy take on after her parents die?
2. How does Cathy's new boss view her relationship with Cathy?
3. What is Charles doing when he injures his head?
4. What year does Cyrus die?
5. What is Samuel's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Adam blame for the sad state of his boys?
2. How do Cathy's parents die?
3. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
4. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
5. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
6. Why does Cyrus not encourage Charles to join the Army like Adam?
7. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
8. How do Charles and Adam take the news of their large inheritance?
9. What happens after Adam fights with Samuel in his house?
10. How does Kate act after Faye's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened to Cathy's parents, and what significance did this have on the plot? Who was involved in these scenes, and what did these events symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways Liza and Samuel showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Steinbeck have chosen these particular places?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)