|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Cathy become a complete stranger to her parents?
2. What is Adam drilling on his land?
3. What is Lee hired to do for Adam?
4. What does Samuel NOT have a talent for?
5. Why are the babies crying when Cathy leaves the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
2. Whom does Adam blame for the sad state of his boys?
3. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
4. How do Cathy's parents die?
5. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
6. What happens when Adam opens the door to Cathy's room after he has locked her in?
7. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
8. How is George described when he is born?
9. What gift does Faye give to Kate after she had been working for a little while?
10. What does Cathy do to the man who helps her deliver her babies, and how does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many different symbols in this book. What were these symbols, and how did their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
To which character did you relate most in this book? Why? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)