|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cathy offer to take her boss on a trip?
2. What position does Cyrus take after Adam goes to war?
3. To where does Cathy try to run away?
4. How does Cathy dress before meeting with her new boss?
5. Why does Cathy not like to drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cyrus' first wife die?
2. What does Cathy do on her wedding night, and why?
3. How does Samuel support his family?
4. What does Adam hire Lee to do?
5. Whom does Adam blame for the sad state of his boys?
6. What happens when Adam opens the door to Cathy's room after he has locked her in?
7. How does Cathy get what she wants from her classmates, and how do they feel about this?
8. Why does Cyrus not encourage Charles to join the Army like Adam?
9. How is George described when he is born?
10. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Liza and Samuel showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How did the relationship between Adam and Kate change throughout the course of the plot, and how did these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)