|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Adam tell Horace that Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
2. Who is the narrator of the book?
3. Why does Adam ask Samuel for help?
4. What name does Cathy take on after leaving Adam?
5. How do Cathy's parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
2. What does Joe Valery hope to do while working for Kate?
3. What does Cathy do to the man who helps her deliver her babies, and how does she respond?
4. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
5. How is George described when he is born?
6. What is Adam's ranch in California like?
7. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
8. What does Tom write in his letter to Will after Dessie's death?
9. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
10. How does Cal respond to the news that his brother died at war?
Essay Topic 1
To which character did you relate most in this book? Why? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Biblical allusions were prevalent in this book, even making it into the title. What were some of these allusions, and how did their inclusion shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Cal and Aron were similar characters in this book, and yet there were some marked differences, even though they were twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)