|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Samuel originally from?
2. Who gives Adam needed advice after Cathy leaves?
3. What is the name of Samuel's wife?
4. Why does Adam ask Samuel for help?
5. How does Charles think Cyrus came across the money for his inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
2. How does Cathy get what she wants from her classmates, and how do they feel about this?
3. How do Cathy's parents die?
4. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
5. How does Adam feel about Cathy shortly after they are married?
6. What does Cathy's father do when she tries to run away?
7. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
8. How does Cyrus' first wife die?
9. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
10. What is Adam's ranch in California like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal was a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Cal had an important choice to make after meeting his mother. What was this choice, how did he make his decision, and how did this decision affect his future in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Cal endures many trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons did he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)