|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Edwards discover how Cathy's parents died?
(a) He sees it in the newspapers.
(b) He hires a private investigator.
(c) He puts Cathy in a trance and asks her.
(d) He asks an agent from her hometown.
2. Why does Adam tell Horace that Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
(a) She is at a friend's house.
(b) She is at the hospital.
(c) She is on a walk.
(d) She is visiting family members.
3. Where does Cathy offer to take her boss on a trip?
(a) New York.
4. Where does Cathy injure Adam?
(a) His leg.
(b) His face.
(c) His back.
(d) His shoulder.
5. What is Adam drilling on his land?
(a) A mine.
(b) A bomb shelter.
(c) A well.
(d) A basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles think Cyrus came across the money for his inheritance?
2. How does Cathy dress before meeting with her new boss?
3. What position does Cyrus take after Adam goes to war?
4. What are Liz and Samuel most devoted to?
5. How does Adam feel about his new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cathy's father do when she tries to run away?
2. How is George described when he is born?
3. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
4. What is included in the first chapter of the novel?
5. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
6. What is Adam's ranch in California like?
7. Why does Cyrus not encourage Charles to join the Army like Adam?
8. How do Charles and Adam take the news of their large inheritance?
9. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
10. How do Cathy's parents die?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)