|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Adam drilling on his land?
(a) A well.
(b) A mine.
(c) A basement.
(d) A bomb shelter.
2. What does Cathy kill while her mother is away?
(a) A dog.
(b) A snake.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A goat.
3. Why does Horace think Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
(a) Adam killed her.
(b) She left him.
(c) Adam forced her to hide from Horace.
(d) She is visiting family.
4. Where is Mrs. Trask when she dies?
(a) Her bed.
(b) Her mother's house.
(c) A pew at church.
(d) A shallow pond.
5. How does Adam say he got wounded?
(a) He shot himself while cleaning the gun.
(b) His wife shot him.
(c) He was trying to kill himself.
(d) He dropped the gun and it went off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the babies crying when Cathy leaves the house?
2. What position does Cyrus take after Adam goes to war?
3. How does Cyrus lose his leg?
4. What does the doctor say Cathy's boss died of?
5. How does Adam feel about his new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is included in the first chapter of the novel?
2. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
3. How does Cyrus' first wife die?
4. Why does Cyrus not encourage Charles to join the Army like Adam?
5. What is Adam's ranch in California like?
6. How do Cathy's parents die?
7. How do Charles and Adam take the news of their large inheritance?
8. How are the Hamilton daughters described by the narrator?
9. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
10. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)