|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adam do when he realizes that his mother is sick?
(a) Calls the doctor.
(b) Withdraws from her.
(c) Leaves little gifts for her.
(d) Applies to medical school.
2. Why does Cathy say she does not belong in Salinas Valley?
(a) It is too lush and green.
(b) It is not good enough for her.
(c) She is not the most beautiful woman there.
(d) She does not speak the language.
3. What does the doctor say Cathy's boss died of?
(d) A venereal disease.
4. Why does Cathy not like to drink?
(a) She likes to stay sober.
(b) She likes to be seen as pure.
(c) It makes her angry.
(d) It makes her sick.
5. What name does Cathy take on after leaving Adam?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the babies crying when Cathy leaves the house?
2. Where did Adam grow up?
3. What does the narrator call Cathy?
4. What is Lee hired to do for Adam?
5. How does Samuel describe Cathy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cyrus not encourage Charles to join the Army like Adam?
2. What does Adam name his boys, and why?
3. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
4. How is George described when he is born?
5. What is Adam's ranch in California like?
6. What does Cathy's father do when she tries to run away?
7. How does Kate act after Faye's death?
8. What is included in the first chapter of the novel?
9. What happens after Adam fights with Samuel in his house?
10. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)