|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cathy's father do to punish her for trying to run away?
(a) Locks her in her room.
(b) Sends her to live with her aunt.
(c) Whips her.
(d) Signs her up for boarding school.
2. Where does Cathy injure Samuel?
(a) His leg.
(b) His foot.
(c) His arm.
(d) His hand.
3. How does Cathy's new boss view her relationship with Cathy?
(a) She sees Cathy as her daughter.
(b) She sees Cathy as a sister.
(c) She sees Cathy as her lover.
(d) She sees Cathy as her business partner.
4. What does Adam ask Samuel for help with?
(a) A broken door handle.
(b) An injured workman.
(c) His bleary vision.
(d) Cathy's childbirth.
5. How does Adam feel about his new wife?
(a) He distrusts her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He is scared of her.
(d) He is proud that she is his.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles learn of his father's death?
2. What disease does Cyrus' second wife have?
3. How much money does Cyrus leave to his sons?
4. What does the narrator say will travel from the West to East Coast?
5. What is Charles doing when he injures his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
2. How do Cathy's parents die?
3. What does Cathy's father do when she tries to run away?
4. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
5. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
6. What does Adam name his boys, and why?
7. How is George described when he is born?
8. What is included in the first chapter of the novel?
9. What happens when Adam opens the door to Cathy's room after he has locked her in?
10. How are the Hamilton daughters described by the narrator?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)