|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cathy say she does not belong in Salinas Valley?
(a) She does not speak the language.
(b) It is not good enough for her.
(c) It is too lush and green.
(d) She is not the most beautiful woman there.
2. What makes Horace suspicious of Adam's wound?
(a) The looks of his housekeeper.
(b) His darting eyes.
(c) The nature of his wound.
(d) His skittish behavior.
3. What is the name of the city Samuel and his wife move to?
(a) Carten City.
(b) King City.
(c) Kernel City.
(d) Crown City.
4. To where does Cathy try to run away?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) Salt Lake City.
(d) New York.
5. What is Horace Quinn's occupation?
(a) Train conductor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles think Cyrus came across the money for his inheritance?
2. What does Cathy tell the other girls that work with her about their boss?
3. What does the doctor say Cathy's boss died of?
4. What is the name of Cathy's new boss after she leaves Adam?
5. What is Adam drilling on his land?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cathy get what she wants from her classmates, and how do they feel about this?
2. How do Cathy's parents die?
3. What causes Charles to distrust Cathy when he first meets her?
4. What does Cathy say to Adam shortly after she gives birth?
5. What happens after Adam fights with Samuel in his house?
6. What does Lee ask Samuel for help with when the well is being dug?
7. What does Cathy's father do when she tries to run away?
8. How does Samuel support his family?
9. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
10. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)