|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cathy tell the other girls that work with her about their boss?
(a) She doesn't like them.
(b) She has a bad past.
(c) She is sick.
(d) She is cheating them.
2. What can Cathy hear all day every day after she first moves to the ranch?
(a) The horses.
(b) The workmen.
(c) The train.
(d) The birds.
3. What is found on the porch steps on the day Cathy's parents die?
(a) A puddle of blood.
(b) A suicide note.
(c) A bloody knife.
4. Why does Horace think Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
(a) Adam killed her.
(b) Adam forced her to hide from Horace.
(c) She left him.
(d) She is visiting family.
5. What is Adam drilling on his land?
(a) A mine.
(b) A bomb shelter.
(c) A well.
(d) A basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say Cathy's boss died of?
2. How do Cathy's classmates feel about her?
3. What is Samuel's occupation?
4. What does the narrator call Cathy?
5. At what age does Cathy become a complete stranger to her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cyrus' first wife die?
2. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
3. What causes Samuel to come talk to Adam after Cathy has been gone for more than a year?
4. What gift does Faye give to Kate after she had been working for a little while?
5. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
6. How does Samuel support his family?
7. What does Adam use to repair his new home in California?
8. What does Mr. Edwards do when he takes Cathy back to her hometown?
9. How do Adam and Charles meet Cathy?
10. How does Adam feel about Cathy shortly after they are married?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)