|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Adam most about Kate when he sees her in the brothel?
(a) Her evil ways are physically manifest.
(b) How much she has aged.
(c) She has a mean look in her eyes.
(d) That she has not changed at all.
2. How does Adam contact his brother after meeting with Kate?
(a) He sends a telegram.
(b) He writes a letter.
(c) He goes to visit.
(d) He calls him on the phone.
3. What does Caleb pray for when he goes to bed after realizing that his mother is alive?
(a) To help him forgive his father's lie.
(b) That God will help him see his mother again.
(c) That God will forgive his mother.
(d) To be as good as his brother.
4. Why does Cal struggle to make friends after his family moves?
(a) He looks strange.
(b) He is a nerd.
(c) He is a bully.
(d) He is incredibly shy.
5. For what does the doctor scold Tom when Tom comes to get him to help Dessie?
(a) Feeding Dessie vegetables.
(b) Leaving Dessie alone.
(c) Giving her a salt solution.
(d) Not coming sooner.
6. Why does Kate keep pictures of her clients?
(a) As a journal of sorts.
(b) To remember them by.
(c) As a brag book.
(d) For blackmail.
7. What university does Aron attend?
8. What does Cal say he actively tries not to be?
9. What causes Dessie's business to fail?
(a) Her sickness.
(b) A change in trends.
(c) Machine-made clothes.
(d) Oversaturation of the market.
10. How does Lee feel about Abra?
(a) He wishes that he were younger so he could court her.
(b) He thinks she needs protection.
(c) He does not approve of her feelings for Aron.
(d) He sees her as his own daughter.
11. How does Tom learn that his father has died?
(a) He receives a letter.
(b) He gets a telegram.
(c) He reads about it in the newspaper.
(d) His mother calls him.
12. What does Kate do when she learns that Cal is her son?
(a) Invites him into the brothel.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Sends him away.
(d) Cries and runs away.
13. What kind of shop does Dessie own?
(a) Candy shop.
(b) Grocery store.
(c) Millinery shop.
14. What does Lee know about Samuel when they meet for the last time?
(a) He is in love.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He has a secret.
(d) He is dying.
15. Where does Dessie go after closing her shop?
(a) Her father's estate.
(b) Adam's house.
(c) The ranch.
(d) A hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical malady does Kate develop?
2. Who tells Aron the truth about his mother?
3. What does Adam buy from Will Hamilton?
4. What does George Hamilton sell?
5. Why does Samuel worry about Tom?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)