|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) The author.
(b) The main character.
(c) The president.
(d) An omniscient being.
2. From whom does Mrs. Trask get her venereal disease?
(a) Her priest.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her lover.
3. What does Cyrus tell Adam before he leaves home for the first time?
(a) His mother is dying.
(b) He has never been prouder of him.
(c) Anna is not his mother.
(d) He loves him more than Charles.
4. What are Liz and Samuel most devoted to?
(a) Their neighbors.
(c) Their children.
(d) Each other.
5. What does Adam do when he realizes that his mother is sick?
(a) Leaves little gifts for her.
(b) Calls the doctor.
(c) Applies to medical school.
(d) Withdraws from her.
6. How are Adam and Cyrus related?
(a) Adam and Cyrus are cousins.
(b) Cyrus and Adam are brothers.
(c) Cyrus is Adam's father.
(d) Adam is Cyrus' uncle.
7. How does Charles learn of his father's death?
(a) He receives a letter.
(b) Adam tells him.
(c) He gets a call from the hospital.
(d) He is there when it happens.
8. What is the name of Cathy's new boss after she leaves Adam?
9. Why does Adam tell Horace that Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
(a) She is on a walk.
(b) She is at the hospital.
(c) She is at a friend's house.
(d) She is visiting family members.
10. What does Adam want Charles to do with his inheritance?
(a) Pay off his debts.
(b) Move to California.
(c) Fix up the farm.
(d) Get an education.
11. How does Cyrus lose his leg?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) In a farming accident.
(c) In the war.
(d) In a duel.
12. What name does Cathy take on after leaving Adam?
13. What is Adam's last name?
14. What does Adam do when Cathy will not respond to his pleas?
(b) Opens the door.
(c) Slaps her.
(d) Leaves the house.
15. How does Cathy injure Adam?
(a) She stabs him.
(b) She punches him.
(c) She hits him with a fire poker.
(d) She shoots him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Trask when she dies?
2. What is Adam drilling on his land?
3. Who gives Adam needed advice after Cathy leaves?
4. What does Cyrus try to convince Adam to do when he is younger?
5. How does Cathy feel about moving where Adam wants to after their marriage?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)