|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Trask when she dies?
(a) Her mother's house.
(b) A pew at church.
(c) Her bed.
(d) A shallow pond.
2. How does Adam say he got wounded?
(a) He dropped the gun and it went off.
(b) His wife shot him.
(c) He was trying to kill himself.
(d) He shot himself while cleaning the gun.
3. What gift does Cathy's new boss give her after she leaves Adam?
(a) The combination to the safe.
(b) A will stating that she will inherit the business.
(c) A key to the nicest room in the house.
(d) A new dress.
4. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) The author.
(b) The main character.
(c) The president.
(d) An omniscient being.
5. Why does Cathy say she does not belong in Salinas Valley?
(a) She is not the most beautiful woman there.
(b) It is not good enough for her.
(c) She does not speak the language.
(d) It is too lush and green.
6. What are Liz and Samuel most devoted to?
(a) Their neighbors.
(c) Their children.
(d) Each other.
7. To where does Cathy try to run away?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
(d) Salt Lake City.
8. How do Cathy's classmates feel about her?
(a) They love her.
(b) They fear her.
(c) They hate her.
(d) They are jealous of her.
9. What does the narrator say will travel from the West to East Coast?
(b) A peach.
(c) An apple.
10. How does Samuel describe Cathy?
11. What does Cyrus tell Adam before he leaves home for the first time?
(a) Anna is not his mother.
(b) His mother is dying.
(c) He has never been prouder of him.
(d) He loves him more than Charles.
12. Why does Adam ask Samuel for help?
(a) He is the only one who has childbirth knowledge.
(b) He is not afraid of Cathy.
(c) He is less expensive.
(d) He is the closest neighbor.
13. How does Mrs. Trask die?
(a) From a venereal disease.
(b) She is stabbed.
(c) From consumption.
(d) She drowns herself.
14. What does Adam do when he realizes that his mother is sick?
(a) Calls the doctor.
(b) Withdraws from her.
(c) Applies to medical school.
(d) Leaves little gifts for her.
15. Where did Adam grow up?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cyrus move after Adam goes to war?
2. Who runs the Trask farm after Adam goes to war?
3. What is the name of Samuel's wife?
4. How does Cathy get power over men?
5. What kind of soil is on Samuel's land?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)