|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Cathy take on after her parents die?
2. What is Cathy's last name?
3. What is the name of Cyrus' second son?
4. How does Charles learn of his father's death?
(a) Adam tells him.
(b) He gets a call from the hospital.
(c) He receives a letter.
(d) He is there when it happens.
5. What are Liz and Samuel most devoted to?
(b) Each other.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their neighbors.
6. How does Charles think Cyrus came across the money for his inheritance?
(a) Smart investments.
(b) Hiding it from his wives.
(c) Illegal means.
(d) Scrimping and saving.
7. What kind of soil is on Samuel's land?
(a) Fertile soil.
(b) Dry soil.
(c) Acidic Soil.
(d) Moist soil.
8. How does Mrs. Trask die?
(a) From a venereal disease.
(b) From consumption.
(c) She drowns herself.
(d) She is stabbed.
9. Why are the babies crying when Cathy leaves the house?
(a) They are scared.
(b) They are cold.
(c) They are hungry.
(d) They need to be changed.
10. From whom does Mrs. Trask get her venereal disease?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her priest.
11. To where does Adam want to move after he gets married?
12. What does Cathy get a job doing after she leaves Adam?
13. How do Cathy's parents die?
(a) Their house burns down.
(b) They are shot.
(c) They drown themselves.
(d) They are poisoned.
14. What does Samuel NOT have a talent for?
(a) Judging character.
(b) Working with wood.
(c) Making friends.
(d) Making money.
15. In what state does the story take place?
(a) New Mexico.
(b) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Cathy take on after leaving Adam?
2. What does the doctor say Cathy's boss died of?
3. What does the narrator say will travel from the West to East Coast?
4. How does Samuel describe Cathy?
5. Where does Cathy injure Adam?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)