|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cathy say she does not belong in Salinas Valley?
(a) It is too lush and green.
(b) She does not speak the language.
(c) She is not the most beautiful woman there.
(d) It is not good enough for her.
2. What does the narrator call Cathy?
(a) A whore.
(b) A monster.
(c) A dark angel.
(d) A she-devil.
3. Who does Adam say is his voice of reason?
4. What does Adam do when Cathy will not respond to his pleas?
(a) Slaps her.
(b) Opens the door.
(c) Leaves the house.
5. What does Adam do when he realizes that his mother is sick?
(a) Applies to medical school.
(b) Calls the doctor.
(c) Leaves little gifts for her.
(d) Withdraws from her.
6. What is Samuel's last name?
7. What makes Horace suspicious of Adam's wound?
(a) His darting eyes.
(b) The nature of his wound.
(c) His skittish behavior.
(d) The looks of his housekeeper.
8. What name does Cathy take on after leaving Adam?
9. What does the narrator say will travel from the West to East Coast?
(a) A peach.
(b) An apple.
10. What is Adam's last name?
11. Where is Samuel originally from?
12. To where does Adam want to move after he gets married?
13. To where does Cathy try to run away?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
(d) Salt Lake City.
14. Why does Adam tell Horace that Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
(a) She is at the hospital.
(b) She is at a friend's house.
(c) She is visiting family members.
(d) She is on a walk.
15. How does Cathy get power over men?
(a) She uses overt sexuality.
(b) She makes them feel strong.
(c) She makes herself seem superior.
(d) She finds their weaknesses and preys on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Cathy take on after her parents die?
2. Who calls Cathy's childbirth a battle?
3. Why does Adam ask Samuel for help?
4. Where does Cathy injure Adam?
5. Why does Horace think Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)