|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Cathy's classmates feel about her?
(a) They fear her.
(b) They love her.
(c) They hate her.
(d) They are jealous of her.
2. Why are the babies crying when Cathy leaves the house?
(a) They need to be changed.
(b) They are scared.
(c) They are cold.
(d) They are hungry.
3. How does Cathy injure Adam?
(a) She hits him with a fire poker.
(b) She stabs him.
(c) She shoots him.
(d) She punches him.
4. What does the doctor say Cathy's boss died of?
(a) A venereal disease.
5. From whom does Mrs. Trask get her venereal disease?
(a) Her priest.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her cousin.
6. What disease does Cyrus' second wife have?
7. Why does Adam tell Horace that Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
(a) She is at a friend's house.
(b) She is on a walk.
(c) She is visiting family members.
(d) She is at the hospital.
8. What does the narrator say will travel from the West to East Coast?
(b) An apple.
(c) A peach.
9. What does Samuel NOT have a talent for?
(a) Making money.
(b) Judging character.
(c) Working with wood.
(d) Making friends.
10. What gift does Cathy's new boss give her after she leaves Adam?
(a) A key to the nicest room in the house.
(b) The combination to the safe.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A will stating that she will inherit the business.
11. What is Samuel's last name?
12. What position does Cyrus take after Adam goes to war?
(a) Secretary of defense.
(b) Secretary of state.
(c) Secretary of war.
(d) Secretary of agriculture.
13. How much money does Cyrus leave to his sons?
14. What is found on the porch steps on the day Cathy's parents die?
(a) A bloody knife.
(b) A puddle of blood.
(c) A suicide note.
15. What name does Cathy take on after her parents die?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Edwards hire Cathy to do?
2. Where is Lee from?
3. How does Samuel describe Cathy?
4. In what state does the story take place?
5. Who calls Cathy's childbirth a battle?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)