|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor say Cathy's boss died of?
(b) A venereal disease.
2. What is Cathy's last name?
3. Who is the narrator of the book?
(a) An omniscient being.
(b) The main character.
(c) The president.
(d) The author.
4. What is Charles doing when he injures his head?
(a) Breaking a wild horse.
(b) Moving a boulder.
(c) Driving while drunk.
(d) Sleeping in his bed.
5. Who gives Adam needed advice after Cathy leaves?
6. What does Cathy's father do to punish her for trying to run away?
(a) Signs her up for boarding school.
(b) Sends her to live with her aunt.
(c) Whips her.
(d) Locks her in her room.
7. Why does Horace think Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
(a) Adam forced her to hide from Horace.
(b) She is visiting family.
(c) Adam killed her.
(d) She left him.
8. What does Cathy get a job doing after she leaves Adam?
9. What does Adam do to keep Cathy from having her way after she gives birth?
(a) Gets a bodyguard.
(b) Locks her in her room.
(c) Watches the babies himself.
(d) Has Lee watch the babies.
10. How does Cyrus raise his children?
(a) He ignores them.
(d) He pampers them.
11. What is Adam's last name?
12. Who does Adam say is his voice of reason?
13. What name does Cathy take on after her parents die?
14. Why does Cathy say she does not belong in Salinas Valley?
(a) It is not good enough for her.
(b) It is too lush and green.
(c) She does not speak the language.
(d) She is not the most beautiful woman there.
15. What is Lee hired to do for Adam?
(a) Take care of the farm animals.
(b) Repair the old stove.
(c) Build shelves and bookcases.
(d) Work as a housekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cathy's new boss view her relationship with Cathy?
2. What is Horace Quinn's occupation?
3. How large is the ranch Adam purchases?
4. Why does Adam tell Horace that Cathy is not at the house when he comes to see Adam's wound?
5. How does Cathy get what she wants from people?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)