Short Essay Questions Key
1. What does Cyrus say to Adam before he leaves for the Army?
Before Adam leaves for the Army, Cyrus tells him that he loves Adam better than Charles, a fact that Charles soon uncovers.
2. Why does Cyrus not encourage Charles to join the Army like Adam?
Cyrus does not encourage Charles to join the Army like he does Adam because he worries that if Charles joined the Army, it would enhance some of his bad behavioral tendencies.
3. How is George described when he is born?
When George is born, he is described as being good and gallant and kind, just like his brother, Adam.
4. How is Joseph Hamilton described by the narrator?
The narrator describes Joseph as being a dreamer and is thought by his family members to be inept at physical labor.
5. How are the Hamilton daughters described by the narrator?
Each of the Hamilton girls is described by the narrator individually. Una, the oldest girl, has a very studious nature. Lizzie is named for her mother and moves away from the family as soon as she is able. Dessie is a joyful delight and is always laughing. Olive is the narrator's mother, and Mollie is the youngest daughter and is the beauty of the family.
This section contains 2,780 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)