* The first chapter describes the Salinas Valley in California, where a majority of this book takes place.
* Samuel Hamilton moves there with his wife, Liz. Their home has poor soil, but Samuel is an honest woodworker and blacksmith.
* Adam Trask gets a large ranch in the area with fertile soil. He grew up on a ranch in Connecticut.
* His father, Cyrus, lost his leg in the Civil War. His wife catches a venereal disease, and drowns herself.
* Cyrus remarries a woman named Alice, who has a son named Charles. She raises Adam as her own. Adam is kind, Charles aggressive.
* Adam joins the Army. Cyrus says he loves Adam more than Charles. Charles knows this and is jealous.
* Every year on the Hamilton ranch welcomes a new child, each different but all kind and good like their parents.
* Olive, a Hamilton daughter, is the narrator's...
This section contains 1,912 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)