|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
2. What does Paul ask Spenser about red and gray squirrels?
3. What does Susan say about Spenser's personality in Chapter 20?
4. What does the group decide to have for dinner in Chapter 13?
5. What does Spenser say about ballet dancers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson that Spenser is trying to teach Paul via the two of them building the cabin together with their own hands instead of hiring someone else to do it or using machinery?
2. In Chapter 17, Paul asks Spenser why he cannot simply leave him alone. Spenser replies that he cannot leave him alone because everyone in his life has left him alone and it has not done him any good. He also tells Paul that his goal is to help him become a better person. What does Spenser mean by that?
3. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
4. How is the reader likely to feel when Patty shows up to take Paul home in Chapter 22?
5. Is Spenser's plan to blackmail the Giacomins in order to make them pay for Paul's education and living expenses, as well as staying away from him a good plan? Why? Why not?
6. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
7. Was it a good idea for Spenser and Paul to break into Mel's office? Why? Why not?
8. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
9. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
10. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were the author of "Early Autumn", what is one aspect of the story that you would change? Why would you change it? How would it affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
This story takes place in Boston, and all of the characters are Boston residents. The characters in "Early Autumn" do not speak with any kind of accent, most notably the "Bahstahn" accent. Why does Parker not have his characters speak with any accents?
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)