|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
2. What is Paul's opinion on possibly finding out some less-than-desirable information on his parents?
3. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
4. In Chapter 15, what does Spenser discover about Paul's strength when they are moving their gear and settling in?
5. Who was the best fighter Spenser ever fought?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
2. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
3. What type of character is Harry Cotton?
4. In Chapter 17, Paul asks Spenser why he cannot simply leave him alone. Spenser replies that he cannot leave him alone because everyone in his life has left him alone and it has not done him any good. He also tells Paul that his goal is to help him become a better person. What does Spenser mean by that?
5. Does Susan make a good point about parental rights in Chapter 23? Why? Why not?
6. Why does Spenser feel that teaching Paul to box and weight lift is important?
7. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
8. Why does Spenser believes that teaching Paul to run is important?
9. Aside from making sure that Paul has a presentable suit to wear to the ballet, what is the point of taking Paul to Louis' to get a suit?
10. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the major characters in this book (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, or Paul). Choose one specific situation out of the book and explain what and how you would have changed it. For instance, if you choose Patty in Chapter 1 where she hires Spenser, what would you change about that situation? Would you hire a private investigator as she did, or would you perhaps go to the police, to try to solve the problem yourself? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Spenser is the protagonist (hero, good guy) of the story. He is a complex character with many personality aspects who makes some very tough decisions throughout the book. What makes Spenser the hero of the story, even though he makes some decisions which could be viewed as morally problematic? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)