|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first step that Paul and Spenser work on when building the cabin?
2. In Chapter 17, when Paul asks Spenser why he cannot just leave him alone, what is Spenser's answer?
3. On their first full day at the cabin in Chapter 16, Spenser and Paul go to North Conway for which of the following?
4. What option does Spenser give Paul in Chapter 24?
5. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
2. Why does Spenser does not take a television to the cabin with him and Paul?
3. What type of character is Harry Cotton?
4. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
5. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
6. Is Spenser's plan to blackmail the Giacomins in order to make them pay for Paul's education and living expenses, as well as staying away from him a good plan? Why? Why not?
7. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
8. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
9. In Chapter 17, Paul asks Spenser why he cannot simply leave him alone. Spenser replies that he cannot leave him alone because everyone in his life has left him alone and it has not done him any good. He also tells Paul that his goal is to help him become a better person. What does Spenser mean by that?
10. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Spenser is not afraid to use physical force when he feels that it is necessary to accomplish his goal. However, he is very careful to use lethal force. Why do you think that is? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
One major theme throughout the book is autonomy, or self-reliance. We see that Spenser is a very self-reliant individual, and he sees that Paul is not, and that without the skills of autonomy, Paul will not be able to survive on his own. Explore the idea of autonomy as it relates to Paul; what will his world look like if he continues down the path that he was on before he met Spenser. What will his world look like after he leaves Spenser for school? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)