|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, when Paul asks Spenser why he cannot just leave him alone, what is Spenser's answer?
2. In Chapter 26, where do Paul and Spenser stay the first night?
3. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
4. Besides the man sitting at the desk, who else is in the building that Paul and Spenser visit in Chapter 25?
5. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spenser decide to take Paul to Fryeburg and build a cabin?
2. Is Spenser's plan to blackmail the Giacomins in order to make them pay for Paul's education and living expenses, as well as staying away from him a good plan? Why? Why not?
3. Why does Spenser feel that teaching Paul to box and weight lift is important?
4. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
5. What is Susan's opinion about Spenser keeping Paul?
6. Why does Paul force Spenser to wake him the way that he did in Chapter 16?
7. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
8. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
9. Why does Spenser believes that teaching Paul to run is important?
10. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the book, Paul learns some less than savory facts about both of his parents. He seems to handle that information well, but sometimes it can be difficult to really understand what another person is going through just by the way they look or how they talk. Using the information about Paul that we know from the text, what do you think his feelings about his parents are after he finds out their "dirty laundry"? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the major characters in this book (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, or Paul). Choose one specific situation out of the book and explain what and how you would have changed it. For instance, if you choose Patty in Chapter 1 where she hires Spenser, what would you change about that situation? Would you hire a private investigator as she did, or would you perhaps go to the police, to try to solve the problem yourself? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)