|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25?
2. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what skill is Paul learning?
4. On their first full day at the cabin in Chapter 16, Spenser and Paul go to North Conway for which of the following?
5. What does Spenser wear on Saturday morning in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
2. Does Susan make a good point about parental rights in Chapter 23? Why? Why not?
3. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
4. How is the reader likely to feel when Patty shows up to take Paul home in Chapter 22?
5. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
6. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
7. What is the lesson that Spenser is trying to teach Paul via the two of them building the cabin together with their own hands instead of hiring someone else to do it or using machinery?
8. Why does Spenser does not take a television to the cabin with him and Paul?
9. What is Susan's opinion about Spenser keeping Paul?
10. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mel and Patty have a complex relationship. They used to be in love, hence their marriage and Paul's birth. Somewhere along the way, that marriage disintegrated, leading to their separation and eventual divorce. Now their only purpose is to hurt each other in any way that they can, specifically to use Paul as the object to do that with.
Part 1) Explore the motivation that the two have to hurt each other the way that they do; why do you think that they do it?
Part 2) What effect has that relationship between his parents had on Paul?
Use specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
This story takes place in Boston, and all of the characters are Boston residents. The characters in "Early Autumn" do not speak with any kind of accent, most notably the "Bahstahn" accent. Why does Parker not have his characters speak with any accents?
Essay Topic 3
Another major theme of this story is that of personal responsibility. Explore the idea of personal responsibility as it relates to each major character (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, and Paul). How does each character feel about personal responsibility? How do they demonstrate those beliefs? Use instances from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)