|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spenser tell Paul that they are going to do with Susan's rural property?
2. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
3. When does Paul set out on his journey of self-discovery and growth?
4. Why does Susan feel the way that she does about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
5. What problem are Susan and Spenser trying to solve in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser is not afraid to use physical force when he feels that it is necessary to accomplish his goal. However, he is very careful to use lethal force. Why do you think that is? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Spenser is the protagonist (hero, good guy) of the story. He is a complex character with many personality aspects who makes some very tough decisions throughout the book. What makes Spenser the hero of the story, even though he makes some decisions which could be viewed as morally problematic? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mel and Patty have a complex relationship. They used to be in love, hence their marriage and Paul's birth. Somewhere along the way, that marriage disintegrated, leading to their separation and eventual divorce. Now their only purpose is to hurt each other in any way that they can, specifically to use Paul as the object to do that with.
Part 1) Explore the motivation that the two have to hurt each other the way that they do; why do you think that they do it?
Part 2) What effect has that relationship between his parents had on Paul?
Use specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,766 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)