|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what reasoning does the narrator give for his career choice?
2. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
3. Where does the narrator follow the woman to in Chapter 3?
4. In what month does the story begin?
5. In Chapter 10, after Patty freshens up and returns to the breakfast table, she and Spenser have a discussion. What is that discussion about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
2. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
3. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
4. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
5. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
6. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
7. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
8. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
9. In Chapter 11, Spenser and Paul have a discussion about why Spenser did not shoot the intruders. What does Spenser tell Paul about his reluctance to shoot Buddy and Harold?
10. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is quite a bit of stereotyping used in "Early Autumn". A stereotype is the belief commonly held about certain social groups or types of individuals. For instance, the stereotypical private eye, or "gumshoe" is a tough guy who has a smart mouth, a smooth talker, and is quick-witted. He always gets the girls and drives a cool car. What are the ways that Spenser fits that stereotype? What are the ways that he does not fit into that stereotype? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
This story takes place in Boston, and all of the characters are Boston residents. The characters in "Early Autumn" do not speak with any kind of accent, most notably the "Bahstahn" accent. Why does Parker not have his characters speak with any accents?
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)