|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
2. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's profession?
3. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
4. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
5. In Chapter 3, after the narrator enters the house and confronts the two people inside, how do the people react?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
2. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
3. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
4. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
5. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
6. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
7. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
8. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
9. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
10. What does Spenser's preparation of the impromptu meal in Chapter 9 reveal about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Spenser is not afraid to use physical force when he feels that it is necessary to accomplish his goal. However, he is very careful to use lethal force. Why do you think that is? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Patty Giacomin and Susan Silverman are two women who play important roles in "Early Autumn".
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Patty and Susan. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) What would have happened if those two characters, Patty and Susan, never existed in the story? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the major characters in this book (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, or Paul). Choose one specific situation out of the book and explain what and how you would have changed it. For instance, if you choose Patty in Chapter 1 where she hires Spenser, what would you change about that situation? Would you hire a private investigator as she did, or would you perhaps go to the police, to try to solve the problem yourself? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)