|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
2. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. In what city does this story take place?
4. What is the setting of the first paragraph of Chapter 6?
5. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
2. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
3. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
4. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
5. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
6. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
7. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
8. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
9. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
10. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another major theme of this story is that of personal responsibility. Explore the idea of personal responsibility as it relates to each major character (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, and Paul). How does each character feel about personal responsibility? How do they demonstrate those beliefs? Use instances from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Spenser and Susan's relationship is very different from Mel and Patty's.
Part 1) Explore the relationship between Susan and Spenser in a more in-depth way; how do they treat each other (i.e., Spenser uses manners when speaking to Susan; Susan is always truthful to Spenser, even when it is not something that he necessarily wants to hear);
Part 2) How does the relationship between Spenser and Susan affect Paul?
Use specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
This section contains 1,539 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)