|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mel Giacomin?
2. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
3. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
5. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
2. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
3. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
4. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
5. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
6. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
7. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
8. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
9. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
10. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patty Giacomin and Susan Silverman are two women who play important roles in "Early Autumn".
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Patty and Susan. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) What would have happened if those two characters, Patty and Susan, never existed in the story? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One major theme throughout the book is autonomy, or self-reliance. We see that Spenser is a very self-reliant individual, and he sees that Paul is not, and that without the skills of autonomy, Paul will not be able to survive on his own. Explore the idea of autonomy as it relates to Paul; what will his world look like if he continues down the path that he was on before he met Spenser. What will his world look like after he leaves Spenser for school? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Spenser is not afraid to use physical force when he feels that it is necessary to accomplish his goal. However, he is very careful to use lethal force. Why do you think that is? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,854 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)