Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
2. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
3. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
5. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Paul, Susan, and Spenser are unloading their luggage upon their return from New York?
2. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
3. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
4. Why does Paul agree to help Spenser "put the screws" to his father?
5. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
6. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
7. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
8. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
9. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
10. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
Patty Giacomin and Susan Silverman are two women who play important roles in "Early Autumn".
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Patty and Susan. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) What would have happened if those two characters, Patty and Susan, never existed in the story? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
If you were the author of "Early Autumn", what is one aspect of the story that you would change? Why would you change it? How would it affect the overall story?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)