|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
3. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
4. What did Paul say about his own father and cooking?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
2. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
3. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
5. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
6. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
7. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
8. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
9. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
10. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the book, Paul learns some less than savory facts about both of his parents. He seems to handle that information well, but sometimes it can be difficult to really understand what another person is going through just by the way they look or how they talk. Using the information about Paul that we know from the text, what do you think his feelings about his parents are after he finds out their "dirty laundry"? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Spenser is not afraid to use physical force when he feels that it is necessary to accomplish his goal. However, he is very careful to use lethal force. Why do you think that is? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Spenser feels that the only way to make Paul grow up and become self-reliant, and in turn survive, is for him to get away from his parents. When Patty comes back to Spenser to take Paul back, Paul refuses to go and Patty leaves without him. This begins Spenser thinking about issues like parental rights and kidnapping, which Susan is also concerned about.
Part 1) If you were Spenser, what would your thoughts on these two topics be, pertaining to Paul? Would you agree with Susan, or would you agree with Spenser?
Part 2) If you were Paul, what would your thoughts on these two topics?
This section contains 1,735 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)