|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patty's reasoning for being married?
2. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
3. In what city does this story take place?
4. In what month does the story begin?
5. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
2. In Chapter 6 we are introduced to Spenser's girlfriend, Susan Silverman. What type of a person does she seem to be, and how does that contrast or compliment Spenser's personality?
3. When Paul arrives home, what is the reaction that mother and son both give and receive?
4. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
5. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
6. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
7. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
8. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
9. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
10. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is your favorite character in "Early Autumn"? Explain your answer; using specific examples from the text if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
One major theme throughout the book is autonomy, or self-reliance. We see that Spenser is a very self-reliant individual, and he sees that Paul is not, and that without the skills of autonomy, Paul will not be able to survive on his own. Explore the idea of autonomy as it relates to Paul; what will his world look like if he continues down the path that he was on before he met Spenser. What will his world look like after he leaves Spenser for school? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Spenser is not afraid to use physical force when he feels that it is necessary to accomplish his goal. However, he is very careful to use lethal force. Why do you think that is? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)