Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
2. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
3. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
5. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Paul, Susan, and Spenser are unloading their luggage upon their return from New York?
2. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
3. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
4. Why does Paul agree to help Spenser "put the screws" to his father?
5. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
6. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
7. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
8. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
9. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
10. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
Essay Topic 1
Patty Giacomin and Susan Silverman are two women who play important roles in "Early Autumn".
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Patty and Susan. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) What would have happened if those two characters, Patty and Susan, never existed in the story? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the major characters in this book (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, or Paul). Choose one specific situation out of the book and explain what and how you would have changed it. For instance, if you choose Patty in Chapter 1 where she hires Spenser, what would you change about that situation? Would you hire a private investigator as she did, or would you perhaps go to the police, to try to solve the problem yourself? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
As the book progresses, we learn that Spenser has a very sensitive and thoughtful side. He has some very deep thoughts on life and the way that it should be lived, including personal boundaries and living with yourself if you have to cross those boundaries. Use the text to explore those thoughts in greater detail.
Part 1) Why do you think that Spenser has those ideas?
Part 2) Why do you think that Spenser feels that it is important for Paul to understand such ideals?
Part 3) Do you agree with his ideals? Why? Why not?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)