|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
2. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
3. When they arrive at the house in Chapter 4, how does the passenger enter the house?
4. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 8, when Patty and Spenser are talking at the breakfast table, what conclusion does Spenser come to about Patty, Mel, and Paul's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
2. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
3. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
4. In Chapter 11, Spenser and Paul have a discussion about why Spenser did not shoot the intruders. What does Spenser tell Paul about his reluctance to shoot Buddy and Harold?
5. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
6. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
7. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
8. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
10. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story takes place in Boston, and all of the characters are Boston residents. The characters in "Early Autumn" do not speak with any kind of accent, most notably the "Bahstahn" accent. Why does Parker not have his characters speak with any accents?
Essay Topic 2
There is quite a bit of stereotyping used in "Early Autumn". A stereotype is the belief commonly held about certain social groups or types of individuals. For instance, the stereotypical private eye, or "gumshoe" is a tough guy who has a smart mouth, a smooth talker, and is quick-witted. He always gets the girls and drives a cool car. What are the ways that Spenser fits that stereotype? What are the ways that he does not fit into that stereotype? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Spenser and Susan's relationship is very different from Mel and Patty's.
Part 1) Explore the relationship between Susan and Spenser in a more in-depth way; how do they treat each other (i.e., Spenser uses manners when speaking to Susan; Susan is always truthful to Spenser, even when it is not something that he necessarily wants to hear);
Part 2) How does the relationship between Spenser and Susan affect Paul?
Use specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,641 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)