|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
2. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
3. What did the narrator accomplish by visiting the woman in Chapter 2?
4. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
5. Who leaves with the narrator in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
2. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
3. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
4. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
5. In Chapter 11, Spenser and Paul have a discussion about why Spenser did not shoot the intruders. What does Spenser tell Paul about his reluctance to shoot Buddy and Harold?
6. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
7. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
8. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
9. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
10. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the major characters in this book (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, or Paul). Choose one specific situation out of the book and explain what and how you would have changed it. For instance, if you choose Patty in Chapter 1 where she hires Spenser, what would you change about that situation? Would you hire a private investigator as she did, or would you perhaps go to the police, to try to solve the problem yourself? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Spenser is not afraid to use physical force when he feels that it is necessary to accomplish his goal. However, he is very careful to use lethal force. Why do you think that is? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
If you were the author of "Early Autumn", what is one aspect of the story that you would change? Why would you change it? How would it affect the overall story?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)