|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
2. In Chapter 8, when Patty and Spenser are talking at the breakfast table, what conclusion does Spenser come to about Patty, Mel, and Paul's relationship?
3. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
4. In Chapter 4, what reasoning does the narrator give for his career choice?
5. What did Paul say about his own father and cooking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul force Spenser to wake him the way that he did in Chapter 16?
2. What does Spenser find out about Patty during the trip to New York?
3. Was it a good idea for Spenser and Paul to break into Mel's office? Why? Why not?
4. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
5. Why does Spenser not kill Harry?
6. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
7. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
8. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
9. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
10. In Chapter 6 we are introduced to Spenser's girlfriend, Susan Silverman. What type of a person does she seem to be, and how does that contrast or compliment Spenser's personality?
Essay Topic 1
If you were the author of "Early Autumn", what is one aspect of the story that you would change? Why would you change it? How would it affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
This story takes place in Boston, and all of the characters are Boston residents. The characters in "Early Autumn" do not speak with any kind of accent, most notably the "Bahstahn" accent. Why does Parker not have his characters speak with any accents?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the major characters in this book (Spenser, Susan, Patty, Mel, or Paul). Choose one specific situation out of the book and explain what and how you would have changed it. For instance, if you choose Patty in Chapter 1 where she hires Spenser, what would you change about that situation? Would you hire a private investigator as she did, or would you perhaps go to the police, to try to solve the problem yourself? Use instances from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 2,806 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)