|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paul's opinion on possibly finding out some less-than-desirable information on his parents?
(a) He does not have an opinion.
(b) He is upset at the possibility.
(c) He does not care, and he is willing to help find out information about them.
(d) He is happy to learn about his parents' dirty laundry.
2. What is the first step that Paul and Spenser work on when building the cabin?
(a) Digging holes for the foundation tubes.
(b) Reading blueprints for the cabin.
(c) Putting up a fence around the property.
(d) Clearing the land for the foundation.
3. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
(a) He was very businesslike; a crisp suit, spectacles, and a red tie.
(b) Scrawny, potbellied, with long, dirty fingernails and yellow teeth. His hair was the color of a Norway rat, and very thin.
(c) He was enormous; with thin blonde hair and the face of a bull mastiff.
(d) He was very fit, with well-defined muscles and a crew haircut.
4. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
(a) Because they are harming him; and they have not taught him how to survive.
(b) Because they are using him to bait each other, and it is not psychologically or emotionally healthy.
(c) Because Paul does not want to live with either one of them.
(d) Because the two of them need time to work out their problems.
5. On their trip to North Conway in Chapter 16, what does Spenser tell Paul is "against the rules"?
(a) Not learning to be a man.
(b) Running away from home.
(c) Speaking badly of another person's beloved.
(d) Lying to Spenser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is already built on Susan's rural property?
2. What does Paul's dad, Mel say about the ballet?
3. In Chapter 24, where do Paul and Spenser go after lunch?
4. How does Susan describe the relationship that parents have with their children?
5. What does Spenser think of the visitor's request in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Spenser's plan to blackmail the Giacomins in order to make them pay for Paul's education and living expenses, as well as staying away from him a good plan? Why? Why not?
2. Why does Spenser decide to take Paul to Fryeburg and build a cabin?
3. What is Susan's opinion about Spenser keeping Paul?
4. Why does Paul force Spenser to wake him the way that he did in Chapter 16?
5. Why does Spenser believes that teaching Paul to run is important?
6. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
7. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
8. Does Susan make a good point about parental rights in Chapter 23? Why? Why not?
9. What type of character is Harry Cotton?
10. How is the reader likely to feel when Patty shows up to take Paul home in Chapter 22?
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)