|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
(a) With Susan.
(b) With Harry Cimoli.
(c) With Hawk.
(d) At the cabin by himself.
2. In Chapter 19, what does Paul wear on Saturday morning?
(a) A tan corduroy jacket, brown pants, a powder blue polyester shirt with dark blue pocket flaps, no tie, black socks, and top-sider shoes.
(b) A tan suit, a blue shirt, a tan tie, and his sneakers.
(c) A green polyester suit, purple shirt, and brown boots.
(d) A grey suit, a purple shirt and tie, and his sneakers.
3. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(b) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(c) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(d) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
4. Which of the following projects does Spenser think will teach Paul to become independent and self-reliant?
(a) Going camping for a month in the wilds of the Maine woods.
(b) Moving out by himself.
(c) Growing his own food and living in a cabin in the Maine woods.
(d) Building a house on Susan's property in Fryeburg, Maine.
5. What is the answer to the visitor's demand in Chapter 22?
(a) They answer that they do not have a construction permit.
(b) They turn down the construction job offer.
(c) Spenser will take the case.
(d) Paul will not go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
2. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
3. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
4. Spenser tells Paul that they are building the cabin a simpler, yet less desirable way. Why is the way they are doing it less desirable?
5. What problem are Susan and Spenser trying to solve in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
2. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
3. In Chapter 17, Paul asks Spenser why he cannot simply leave him alone. Spenser replies that he cannot leave him alone because everyone in his life has left him alone and it has not done him any good. He also tells Paul that his goal is to help him become a better person. What does Spenser mean by that?
4. Why does Spenser feel that teaching Paul to box and weight lift is important?
5. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
6. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
7. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
8. Why does Spenser believes that teaching Paul to run is important?
9. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
10. How is the reader likely to feel when Patty shows up to take Paul home in Chapter 22?
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)