|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the answer to the visitor's demand in Chapter 22?
(a) Paul will not go.
(b) Spenser will take the case.
(c) They answer that they do not have a construction permit.
(d) They turn down the construction job offer.
2. What problem are Susan and Spenser trying to solve in Chapter 23?
(a) Where Paul should live after the cabin is built.
(b) How to find Paul's parents.
(c) How to stop Paul's parents from taking Paul.
(d) How to raise Paul.
3. In Chapter 17, when Paul asks Spenser why he cannot just leave him alone, what is Spenser's answer?
(a) Because Spenser thinks that Paul needs less structure in his life.
(b) Because Paul's parents never left him alone, and Spenser does not feel that he should have to either.
(c) Because Paul must learn to respect his elders.
(d) Because everybody in his life has left him alone all of his life, and it has not done him any good.
4. What is the first step that Paul and Spenser work on when building the cabin?
(a) Digging holes for the foundation tubes.
(b) Putting up a fence around the property.
(c) Reading blueprints for the cabin.
(d) Clearing the land for the foundation.
5. What do Spenser and Paul have for lunch in Chapter 21?
(a) Cobb salad and French onion soup.
(b) Vegetable soup and crackers.
(c) Grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips.
(d) Cheddar cheese and Granny Smith apples, Bartlett pears, seedless green grapes, and an unsliced loaf of pumpernickel bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spenser say about ballet dancers?
2. While Spenser and Paul are working in Chapter 22, who goes to the cabin?
3. In Chapter 15, what does Spenser discover about Paul's strength when they are moving their gear and settling in?
4. What does Susan think about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
5. What does Spenser tell Paul that they are going to do with Susan's rural property?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
2. Was it a good idea for Spenser and Paul to break into Mel's office? Why? Why not?
3. What is Susan's opinion about Spenser keeping Paul?
4. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
5. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
6. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
7. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
8. What is the lesson that Spenser is trying to teach Paul via the two of them building the cabin together with their own hands instead of hiring someone else to do it or using machinery?
9. What type of character is Harry Cotton?
10. Why does Paul force Spenser to wake him the way that he did in Chapter 16?
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)