|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
(a) Mel's house in Andover.
(b) Susan's house in Smithfield.
(c) Spenser's apartment in Boston.
(d) Patty's house in Lexington.
2. In Chapter 15, Spenser and Paul are discussing Hawk. In that discussion about Hawk, what does Spenser tell Paul that he will help him learn?
(a) The difference between being strong and being strong-minded.
(b) The difference between being good and being a good man.
(c) The difference between being good and being good at something.
(d) The difference between being weak and being weak-willed.
3. What is the answer to the visitor's demand in Chapter 22?
(a) Spenser will take the case.
(b) Paul will not go.
(c) They answer that they do not have a construction permit.
(d) They turn down the construction job offer.
4. On their trip to North Conway in Chapter 16, what does Spenser tell Paul is "against the rules"?
(a) Running away from home.
(b) Speaking badly of another person's beloved.
(c) Not learning to be a man.
(d) Lying to Spenser.
5. What does the group decide to have for dinner in Chapter 13?
(b) Canned soup and crackers.
(c) BLTs, homemade bread and butter pickles, cheese, and apples.
(d) Grilled cheese sandwiches, potato chips, and fruit cocktail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
2. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
3. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
4. What favor does Spenser ask of Susan in Chapter 23?
5. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
2. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
3. What type of character is Harry Cotton?
4. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
5. What is Susan's opinion about Spenser keeping Paul?
6. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
7. How is the reader likely to feel when Patty shows up to take Paul home in Chapter 22?
8. What is the lesson that Spenser is trying to teach Paul via the two of them building the cabin together with their own hands instead of hiring someone else to do it or using machinery?
9. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
10. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)