|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(b) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(c) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(d) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
2. What is Spenser's solution to the problem discussed in Chapter 23?
(a) To look into boarding schools.
(b) There is no solution.
(c) To use Elaine to find Mel.
(d) To blackmail Paul's parents.
3. Where do Paul and Spenser arrive at in Chapter 25?
(a) Harry Cotton's car lot.
(b) Susan Silverman's office.
(c) Mel Giacomin's insurance firm.
(d) Harry Crimoli's gym.
4. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
(a) To Miami.
(b) To Denver.
(c) To New York.
(d) To Philadelphia.
5. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
(a) To burglarize Spenser's office.
(b) To kill Spenser if he does not stay out of his business.
(c) To keep Paul for ransom.
(d) To kidnap Susan.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Spenser and Paul are working in Chapter 22, who goes to the cabin?
2. What does the group decide to have for dinner in Chapter 13?
3. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
4. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
5. Where do Paul and Spenser catch the person whom they are looking for in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Spenser's plan to blackmail the Giacomins in order to make them pay for Paul's education and living expenses, as well as staying away from him a good plan? Why? Why not?
2. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
3. What is Susan's opinion about Spenser keeping Paul?
4. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
5. What is the lesson that Spenser is trying to teach Paul via the two of them building the cabin together with their own hands instead of hiring someone else to do it or using machinery?
6. What type of character is Harry Cotton?
7. Why does Paul force Spenser to wake him the way that he did in Chapter 16?
8. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
9. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
10. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)