|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
(a) That Hawk take Paul into hiding.
(b) That Paul go to live with his distant great-aunt in Ohio.
(c) That Spenser take Paul.
(d) That Susan adopt Paul.
2. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Philadelphia.
(c) To Miami.
(d) To Denver.
3. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
(a) He was enormous; with thin blonde hair and the face of a bull mastiff.
(b) Scrawny, potbellied, with long, dirty fingernails and yellow teeth. His hair was the color of a Norway rat, and very thin.
(c) He was very fit, with well-defined muscles and a crew haircut.
(d) He was very businesslike; a crisp suit, spectacles, and a red tie.
4. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
(a) Harry Cimoli.
(b) Mel Giacomin.
(c) Buddy Hartman.
5. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
(a) Mel's house in Andover.
(b) Patty's house in Lexington.
(c) Susan's house in Smithfield.
(d) Spenser's apartment in Boston.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
2. What does Spenser need to learn more than anything else if he is to survive?
3. What option does Spenser give Paul in Chapter 24?
4. What favor does Spenser ask of Susan in Chapter 23?
5. What does Spenser think of the visitor's request in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of character is Harry Cotton?
2. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
3. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
4. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
5. Was it a good idea for Spenser and Paul to break into Mel's office? Why? Why not?
6. What is the lesson that Spenser is trying to teach Paul via the two of them building the cabin together with their own hands instead of hiring someone else to do it or using machinery?
7. Why does Spenser does not take a television to the cabin with him and Paul?
8. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
9. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
10. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)