|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she does not trust the police.
(b) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
(c) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(d) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
2. What is Paul's answer when Spenser asks him whether there is any place that he has always wanted to go, that no one would take him, that he was afraid to ask?
(a) That he would like to go to the theater.
(b) That he would like to go to the opera.
(c) That he would like to go to the ballet.
(d) That he would like to go to the symphony.
3. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
(a) Egg white omelettes and juice.
(b) Oatmeal, butter, sugar, and coffee.
(c) Cornbread, strawberry jam, and a bowl of assorted fruit.
(d) Steak and eggs.
4. When Paul asks Spenser about his fighting career, he asks if he could have been a champion; and Spenser says no. What is Spenser's reasoning for that answer?
(a) Because he was in a different league than champions.
(b) Because he did not want to be a champion.
(c) Because he got too old to train properly.
(d) Because he injured his knee and could not fight anymore.
5. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
(a) Spenser's apartment in Boston.
(b) Patty's house in Lexington.
(c) Mel's house in Andover.
(d) Susan's house in Smithfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Paul and Spenser stop to eat in Chapter 15?
2. Right after visiting Louis', where do Paul and Spenser go?
3. Who is already there when Spenser arrives at his destination in Chapter 13?
4. What does Spenser tell Paul about fighting in a "regular" fight?
5. In Chapter 24, where do Paul and Spenser go after lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spenser decide to take Paul to Fryeburg and build a cabin?
2. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
3. In Chapter 17, Paul asks Spenser why he cannot simply leave him alone. Spenser replies that he cannot leave him alone because everyone in his life has left him alone and it has not done him any good. He also tells Paul that his goal is to help him become a better person. What does Spenser mean by that?
4. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
5. Aside from making sure that Paul has a presentable suit to wear to the ballet, what is the point of taking Paul to Louis' to get a suit?
6. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
7. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
8. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
9. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
10. What is Susan's opinion about Spenser keeping Paul?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)