|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
(a) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
(b) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(c) A Distant Mirror.
(d) Of Mice and Men.
2. Who is Mel Giacomin?
(a) A hoodlum Spenser knows from the past.
(b) A dentist.
(c) Spenser's client.
(d) Patty's ex-husband and Paul's father.
3. What did the narrator accomplish by visiting the woman in Chapter 2?
(a) He will now be able to identify the woman so that she can follow her better.
(b) Knows that the woman now knows that the narrator knows who she is.
(c) He knows that the missing gold jewelry is not in the woman's house.
(d) Learning what the woman looks like and that she will possibly call the person for whom the narrator is searching.
4. Who are the two men who force their way into Patty's house in Chapter 11?
(a) Hawk and Harry.
(b) Henry and Harry.
(c) Spenser and Buddy.
(d) Buddy and Harold.
5. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
(a) A dancer, a lawyer, a restaurant, and a newspaper agency.
(b) A nosy old lady, a card shark, a lawyer, and a bar.
(c) A bookie and a fortune teller.
(d) Brooks Brothers, a bank, Bonwit Teller, Police Headquarters, and an ad agency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
2. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
3. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
4. In what month does the story begin?
5. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
2. What does Spenser's preparation of the impromptu meal in Chapter 9 reveal about his character?
3. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
4. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
5. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
6. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
7. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
8. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
9. In Chapter 11, Spenser and Paul have a discussion about why Spenser did not shoot the intruders. What does Spenser tell Paul about his reluctance to shoot Buddy and Harold?
10. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)