|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elaine Brooks?
(a) Mel Giacomin's girlfriend.
(b) Spenser's receptionist.
(c) A witness.
(d) Spenser's client.
2. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
(b) Go to his office to catch up on some other cases.
(c) Watches tennis matches on TV.
(d) Go for a run.
3. In Chapter 10, after Patty freshens up and returns to the breakfast table, she and Spenser have a discussion. What is that discussion about?
(a) About how they should handle Mel.
(b) About Patty acting out her need for companionship.
(c) About what the next stage of their plan for Paul should be.
(d) About whether they should go to the police about the attempted kidnapping.
4. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
(b) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
(c) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
(d) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
5. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
(a) By walking in through the open front door.
(b) By breaking in.
(c) By ringing the bell and posing as a messenger.
(d) By knocking on the door and acting like a census taker.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
2. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
3. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
4. In Chapter 4, what reasoning does the narrator give for his career choice?
5. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's muscles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
2. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
3. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
4. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
5. In Chapter 11, Spenser and Paul have a discussion about why Spenser did not shoot the intruders. What does Spenser tell Paul about his reluctance to shoot Buddy and Harold?
6. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
7. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
8. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
9. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
10. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)