|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
(b) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
(c) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
(d) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
2. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
(a) Spenser and Susan Silverman.
(b) Hawk and Henry.
(c) Mel Giacomin and Elaine Brooks.
(d) Patty Giacomin and Paul Giacomin.
3. What does Paul ask Spenser about dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) Where he got the pizza.
(b) Whether he could have the tuna salad sandwich from the deli.
(c) Whether he cooked the meal.
(d) Whether they could go to the Chinese restarurant where he got the take-out.
4. What does Patty want Spenser to do in Chapter 7?
(a) To deliver a message to Mel.
(b) To help her find her sister.
(c) To retrieve Paul again.
(d) To go to her house in Lexington.
5. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He asks her to put him on permanent retainer.
(b) He politely declines the job, and gives her the name of an associate more suited for that type of work.
(c) He tells her that it will not work, and that they must think of something else.
(d) He agrees, but acknowledges that guarding them is only a temporary solution.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
2. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
4. What is Patty's reasoning for being married?
5. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 we are introduced to Spenser's girlfriend, Susan Silverman. What type of a person does she seem to be, and how does that contrast or compliment Spenser's personality?
2. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
3. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
4. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
5. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
6. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
7. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
8. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
9. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
10. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
This section contains 1,943 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)