|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
(b) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
(c) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(d) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
2. In Chapter 11, one of the men says something about Spenser and guns. What is it?
(a) That Spenser could not hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun full of bird shot.
(b) That Spenser never carries a gun.
(c) That Spenser has had a bad history with guns, and that he should stay away from them.
(d) That Spenser never was a shooter, and that is what is wrong with him.
3. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
(a) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
(b) A Distant Mirror.
(c) Of Mice and Men.
(d) To Kill a Mockingbird.
4. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
5. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
(a) That he is looking for her lost cat.
(b) That he is selling magazine subscriptions.
(c) That he is delivering a package from Mr. Giacomin.
(d) That he needs directions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
2. What does Paul ask Spenser about dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
3. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
4. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
5. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
3. What happens when Paul, Susan, and Spenser are unloading their luggage upon their return from New York?
4. What do Patty and Mel's willingness to comply with Spenser's blackmail tell the reader about their qualities as human beings and as parents?
5. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
6. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
7. Aside from making sure that Paul has a presentable suit to wear to the ballet, what is the point of taking Paul to Louis' to get a suit?
8. In Chapter 6 we are introduced to Spenser's girlfriend, Susan Silverman. What type of a person does she seem to be, and how does that contrast or compliment Spenser's personality?
9. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
10. In Chapter 28, Paul and Spenser discuss the idea of Paul going away to school. Why does Paul have mixed feelings about that subject?
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)