|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mel Giacomin?
(a) A hoodlum Spenser knows from the past.
(b) Patty's ex-husband and Paul's father.
(c) Spenser's client.
(d) A dentist.
2. In Chapter 5, what is Patty's first response to Spenser and Paul's entrance?
(a) She cries and runs to her son.
(b) "Oh, Paul, I didn't expect you so soon."
(c) "Where were you?"
(d) She throws her arms around Paul and gives him a big hug.
3. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Build a model sailboat.
(b) Build some cabinets for the house.
(c) Watch TV.
(d) Stay with a friend.
4. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
(a) Mel Giacomin and Elaine Brooks.
(b) Hawk and Henry.
(c) Spenser and Susan Silverman.
(d) Patty Giacomin and Paul Giacomin.
5. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
(a) Whether he had decided if he would stay with them and take the job or not.
(b) Whether he was married.
(c) Whether he wanted lunch.
(d) Whether he was lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
2. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
3. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
4. How does the narrator get into room 315?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Patty inform Spenser in relation to the upcoming weekend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
2. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
3. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
4. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
5. When Paul arrives home, what is the reaction that mother and son both give and receive?
6. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
7. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
8. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
9. In Chapter 6 we are introduced to Spenser's girlfriend, Susan Silverman. What type of a person does she seem to be, and how does that contrast or compliment Spenser's personality?
10. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)