|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does the man keep calling the narrator?
2. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
(a) Harry Cotton.
(b) Susan Silverman.
(c) Stephen Court.
(d) Mel Giacomin.
3. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
(a) In May.
(b) In April.
(c) In December.
(d) In October.
4. After the eviction, what was the narrator's new address?
(a) Berkley and Height Ashbury.
(b) Speer and I-25.
(c) Boylston Street and the corner of Berkley.
(d) It was the same as the previous address.
5. What is Patty's reasoning for being married?
(a) To have a stable home life.
(b) To get power and money.
(c) To have a father for Paul.
(d) To keep her from being lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
2. In what month does the story begin?
3. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
4. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
5. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, what does Paul's decision about going to school reveal about the person whom he has become?
2. Was it a good idea for Spenser and Paul to break into Mel's office? Why? Why not?
3. What do Patty and Mel's willingness to comply with Spenser's blackmail tell the reader about their qualities as human beings and as parents?
4. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
5. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
6. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
7. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
8. Why does Spenser decide to take Paul to Fryeburg and build a cabin?
9. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
10. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)