Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they arrive at the house in Chapter 4, how does the passenger enter the house?
(a) He pulls out his key and unlocks the side entrance to the house.
(b) He runs up the front steps and bursts through the door.
(c) He opens the back door and enters without knocking or any type of announcement.
(d) He barges in the front door and yells, "Hey! I'm home!"
2. How does the narrator get into room 315?
(a) By posing like a pizza delivery person.
(b) By breaking in.
(c) By acting like a cabbie delivering a package.
(d) By knocking on the door.
3. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) She knocks over her half-full cup of coffee and its saucer off the table and onto the floor; and leaves the kitchen for her bedroom, slamming the door.
(b) She begins to cry, and runs out of the kitchen and into her bedroom, slamming the door.
(c) She is quiet for some time, and finally acknowledges that he has a point.
(d) Looking into her coffee cup, she says nothing,
4. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
(b) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(c) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(d) Bake a cake together.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, after the narrator enters the house and confronts the two people inside, how do the people react?
2. What does Spenser wonder about the female jogger in the beige and blue exercise outfit?
3. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
4. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
5. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
2. Spenser decides to tell Paul the truth about his mother's monthly trips to New York. Although they are not illegal, they appear to be immoral. How does Paul feel about learning that type of information about his mother?
3. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
4. As evidenced in his conversation with Spenser in Chapter 20, why is Paul curious in relation to why his parents think the way that they do?
5. Why does Hawk think that Spenser has to kill Harry?
6. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
7. In Chapter 6 we are introduced to Spenser's girlfriend, Susan Silverman. What type of a person does she seem to be, and how does that contrast or compliment Spenser's personality?
8. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
9. What does Spenser's preparation of the impromptu meal in Chapter 9 reveal about his character?
10. Why is the discussion that Spenser and Paul have in Chapter 21 about the rules of fighting an important one?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)