|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(a) Paul Giacomin.
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(d) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
2. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
(a) Watches tennis matches on TV.
(b) Go for a run.
(d) Go to his office to catch up on some other cases.
3. What does Patty want Spenser to do in Chapter 7?
(a) To help her find her sister.
(b) To retrieve Paul again.
(c) To go to her house in Lexington.
(d) To deliver a message to Mel.
4. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
(a) A gold LaCrosse.
(b) A black Buick Regal.
(c) A red MGB with a gold luggage rack.
(d) A Jaguar ZX2.
5. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
2. What does Spenser wonder about the female jogger in the beige and blue exercise outfit?
3. What happens to the Giacomin house two days following the argument about the role of the modern women?
4. In Chapter 3, after the narrator enters the house and confronts the two people inside, how do the people react?
5. In Chapter 10, Spenser tells Patty that he can put her in touch with the feminist writer, Rachel Wallace. Patty responds that feminist theory is all well and good on paper, but that it is not successful in reality. Spenser asks her what the term, successful means in the "real world"; and Patty's response is:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
2. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
3. When Paul arrives home, what is the reaction that mother and son both give and receive?
4. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
5. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
6. What does Spenser's preparation of the impromptu meal in Chapter 9 reveal about his character?
7. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
8. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
9. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
10. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)