|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, when Patty and Spenser are talking at the breakfast table, what conclusion does Spenser come to about Patty, Mel, and Paul's relationship?
(a) That they could really be a happy family if they all tried a little harder.
(b) That Paul is a trophy that Mel and Patty fight over to hurt each other; and that neither really care about Paul's well-being.
(c) That the three of them should go to counseling and work out their issues.
(d) That the divorce really was the most healthy outcome for the family.
2. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) Susan Silverman.
(b) Patty Giacomin.
3. Where does the narrator follow the woman to in Chapter 3?
(a) Harry Cotton's condominium.
(b) Hawk's gym.
(c) Mel Giacomin's house.
(d) Spenser's office.
4. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
(b) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
(c) Hamburgers and french fries.
(d) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
5. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Build a model sailboat.
(b) Build some cabinets for the house.
(c) Watch TV.
(d) Stay with a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
2. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
3. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
4. In Chapter 10, after Patty freshens up and returns to the breakfast table, she and Spenser have a discussion. What is that discussion about?
5. In what month does the story begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
2. When Paul arrives home, what is the reaction that mother and son both give and receive?
3. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
4. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
5. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
6. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
7. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
8. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
9. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
10. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)