Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Stay with a friend.
(b) Build a model sailboat.
(c) Build some cabinets for the house.
(d) Watch TV.
2. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He is unhappy with the idea.
(b) He is relieved by the idea.
(c) He makes no response.
(d) He is angry with the idea.
3. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) Susan Silverman.
(b) Patty Giacomin.
4. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
(a) A pair of sneakers.
(b) A fedora.
(c) A silver wine bucket.
(d) A gold watch.
5. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
2. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
3. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
4. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
5. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Paul, Susan, and Spenser are unloading their luggage upon their return from New York?
2. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
3. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
4. Why does Paul agree to help Spenser "put the screws" to his father?
5. Why does Spenser agree to keep Paul after the kidnapping scare when Patty is taken hostage?
6. In Chapter 21 we are able to see how Paul is growing both physically and emotionally. How has he grown?
7. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
8. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
9. How does Susan feel about Spenser sending Paul and Patty to her house in Chapter 13?
10. How does Spenser handle the confrontation with Patty in Chapter 22?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)