|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
(b) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
(c) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
(d) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where is the narrator sitting?
(a) Outside an apartment building on Hammond Pond Parkway in Chestnut Hill.
(b) The narrator's office.
(c) At the counter of a Dunkin' Donuts.
(d) At police headquarters.
3. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's muscles?
(a) That they are wimpy.
(b) That they are impressive.
(c) That they are fake.
(d) That they are ugly.
4. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
(a) She storms off to her room and starts breaking things.
(b) She gets angry and demands that he leave her house.
(c) She insults herself and him, and then breaks down crying.
(d) She tells him that she understands and that there are not any hard feelings.
5. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(b) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
(c) To go to the police with the story.
(d) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 3, what does the man keep calling the narrator?
3. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
4. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
5. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
2. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
3. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
4. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
5. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
6. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
7. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
8. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
9. What does Spenser's preparation of the impromptu meal in Chapter 9 reveal about his character?
10. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
This section contains 1,709 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)