|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
(a) "Who would you rather live with, your mother or your father?
(b) "Smart. I like a man who gets out of a marriage gracefully. Don't you?"
(c) "Name's Spenser with an S, like the Poet. I'm in the Boston Book. Under Tough. Heard of me?"
(d) "Package for Ms. Brooks. She 'ere?"
2. In Chapter 11, one of the men says something about Spenser and guns. What is it?
(a) That Spenser never was a shooter, and that is what is wrong with him.
(b) That Spenser has had a bad history with guns, and that he should stay away from them.
(c) That Spenser could not hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun full of bird shot.
(d) That Spenser never carries a gun.
3. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) Patty Giacomin.
(b) Susan Silverman.
4. In Chapter 4, what reasoning does the narrator give for his career choice?
(a) "I couldn't finish medical school."
(b) "I used to be a singer, until I popped my vocal chord."
(c) "All the good acting roles were taken."
(d) "It lets me live life on my own terms."
5. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
(a) Go out for a run.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Take a walk.
(d) Go to his office and check his messages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the first paragraph of Chapter 6?
2. Who is Elaine Brooks?
3. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
4. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
5. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
2. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
3. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
4. When Paul arrives home, what is the reaction that mother and son both give and receive?
5. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
6. In Chapter 11, Spenser and Paul have a discussion about why Spenser did not shoot the intruders. What does Spenser tell Paul about his reluctance to shoot Buddy and Harold?
7. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
8. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
9. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
10. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)