|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator?
(a) Patty and Susan.
(b) Mr. Spenser.
(c) Hawkeye Anderson.
(d) Paul Warsol.
2. When they arrive at the house in Chapter 4, how does the passenger enter the house?
(a) He pulls out his key and unlocks the side entrance to the house.
(b) He runs up the front steps and bursts through the door.
(c) He barges in the front door and yells, "Hey! I'm home!"
(d) He opens the back door and enters without knocking or any type of announcement.
3. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
4. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
(a) Because he does not find her attractive.
(b) Because he is in love with Susan, and because he believes that Paul would think less of him if he were to get involved with Patty.
(c) Because it would be unprofessional and harm his professional reputation.
(d) Because he does not like mixing personal issues with business matters.
5. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
(b) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
(c) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
(d) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
2. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
3. What does Spenser wonder about the female jogger in the beige and blue exercise outfit?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
5. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does the narrator seem to be?
2. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
4. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
5. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
6. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
7. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
8. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
9. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
10. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
This section contains 1,757 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)