|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elaine Brooks?
(a) Spenser's client.
(b) Mel Giacomin's girlfriend.
(c) Spenser's receptionist.
(d) A witness.
2. What did the narrator accomplish by visiting the woman in Chapter 2?
(a) Learning what the woman looks like and that she will possibly call the person for whom the narrator is searching.
(b) He will now be able to identify the woman so that she can follow her better.
(c) Knows that the woman now knows that the narrator knows who she is.
(d) He knows that the missing gold jewelry is not in the woman's house.
3. In Chapter 8, when Patty and Spenser are talking at the breakfast table, what conclusion does Spenser come to about Patty, Mel, and Paul's relationship?
(a) That Paul is a trophy that Mel and Patty fight over to hurt each other; and that neither really care about Paul's well-being.
(b) That the divorce really was the most healthy outcome for the family.
(c) That they could really be a happy family if they all tried a little harder.
(d) That the three of them should go to counseling and work out their issues.
4. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
(a) Stephen Court.
(b) Susan Silverman.
(c) Harry Cotton.
(d) Mel Giacomin.
5. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
(a) Of Mice and Men.
(b) A Distant Mirror.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(d) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
4. In Chapter 11, one of the men says something about Spenser and guns. What is it?
5. In Chapter 10, what is Paul's response after Patty tells Spenser her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
2. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
3. What does Spenser's preparation of the impromptu meal in Chapter 9 reveal about his character?
4. Spenser reluctantly takes the job of protecting Patty and Paul from Mel and his thugs. What reservations does Spenser have about taking the job, and why does he take it?
5. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
6. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
7. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
8. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
9. If you were Spenser, what would you have done differently in Chapter 2?
10. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
This section contains 1,522 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)