|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what nagging situation is on Spenser's mind?
(a) There is not a nagging situation on Spenser's mind in Chapter 6.
(b) He is still worrying about Mel Giacomin.
(c) He is still worrying about Patty Giacomin.
(d) He is still worrying about Paul Giacomin.
2. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
3. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He is angry with the idea.
(b) He is relieved by the idea.
(c) He is unhappy with the idea.
(d) He makes no response.
4. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
(a) A pet shop and a dry cleaner.
(b) A bank and a tailor.
(c) A fortune-teller and a bookie.
(d) No one.
5. In Chapter 11, one of the men says something about Spenser and guns. What is it?
(a) That Spenser never was a shooter, and that is what is wrong with him.
(b) That Spenser could not hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun full of bird shot.
(c) That Spenser has had a bad history with guns, and that he should stay away from them.
(d) That Spenser never carries a gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
2. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
4. When they arrive at the house in Chapter 4, how does the passenger enter the house?
5. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 28, Paul and Spenser discuss the idea of Paul going away to school. Why does Paul have mixed feelings about that subject?
2. Is the violence used in Chapter 24 necessary? Why?
3. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
4. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
5. Does Susan make a good point about parental rights in Chapter 23? Why? Why not?
6. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
7. Why does Hawk think that Spenser has to kill Harry?
8. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
9. Is Spenser's evaluation of Susan's attitude in Chapter 23 an accurate one? Why? Why not?
10. Why does Spenser send Paul and Patty to Susan's house in Chapter 13?
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)