|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
(a) That Spenser serve Mel with a restraining order.
(b) That Spenser stay the night and protect her and Paul.
(c) That Spenser move in as their permanent bodyguard.
(d) That Spenser take Paul out to dinner because she has plans.
2. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
(a) Go to his office and check his messages.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Go out for a run.
(d) Take a walk.
3. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
(b) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(c) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
(d) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
4. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) He stops by a deli on his way home and picks up some sandwiches.
(b) He makes pork chops with pineapple cream sauce, rice, and a salad.
(c) He gets take-out from a Chinese restarurant just down the corner from his office.
(d) He orders out for pizza.
5. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
(a) That he is looking for her lost cat.
(b) That he needs directions.
(c) That he is delivering a package from Mr. Giacomin.
(d) That he is selling magazine subscriptions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
2. Where does the narrator follow the woman to in Chapter 3?
3. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
4. In what city does this story take place?
5. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
2. What does the discussion that Patty and Spenser have in Chapter 8 reveal to the audience about Patty's real character?
3. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
4. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
5. When Paul arrives home, what is the reaction that mother and son both give and receive?
6. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
7. In Chapter 9, Spenser makes an impromptu dinner for himself and Paul. At the dinner table, Paul seems surprised that Spenser can cook. The discussion that follows allows the reader to learn more about Paul and his relationship with the world around him. What did you learn about Paul and how he relates to the world around him?
8. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
9. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
10. In Chapter 6 we are introduced to Spenser's girlfriend, Susan Silverman. What type of a person does she seem to be, and how does that contrast or compliment Spenser's personality?
This section contains 1,849 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)