|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
(a) That Spenser stay the night and protect her and Paul.
(b) That Spenser take Paul out to dinner because she has plans.
(c) That Spenser move in as their permanent bodyguard.
(d) That Spenser serve Mel with a restraining order.
2. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
3. After the eviction, what was the narrator's new address?
(a) It was the same as the previous address.
(b) Berkley and Height Ashbury.
(c) Speer and I-25.
(d) Boylston Street and the corner of Berkley.
4. In Chapter 10, after Patty freshens up and returns to the breakfast table, she and Spenser have a discussion. What is that discussion about?
(a) About Patty acting out her need for companionship.
(b) About how they should handle Mel.
(c) About whether they should go to the police about the attempted kidnapping.
(d) About what the next stage of their plan for Paul should be.
5. In Chapter 5, what is Patty's first response to Spenser and Paul's entrance?
(a) "Oh, Paul, I didn't expect you so soon."
(b) "Where were you?"
(c) She throws her arms around Paul and gives him a big hug.
(d) She cries and runs to her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Patty inform Spenser in relation to the upcoming weekend?
2. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
3. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
4. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
5. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
2. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
3. What type of person does Paul Giacomin appear to be?
4. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
5. In Chapter 8, Patty makes breakfast for herself and Spenser after Spenser drops Paul off at school. During breakfast the two of them get into a somewhat heated discussion about the roles of men and women in life, as well as their places in society. What are Patty's views on the topic as shown by that discussion?
6. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
7. In April, after Mel's thugs try to kidnap Paul, Patty Giacomin calls Spenser for help once again. This time, she asks Spenser to protect her and Paul. Why does Patty desperately call Spenser when she experiences trouble with her ex-husband in relation to her son?
8. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
9. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
10. In Chapter 10, Patty propositions Spenser, who politely rejects her advances. The two have a fairly lengthy discussion about the event, during which we learn more about Patty's feelings of self worth. What are those feelings?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)