|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Spenser says that he did not mind Patty's idea of fancy cooking; but that there was something that he did mind. What was it?
(a) Not serving beer at dinner.
(b) Not being able to get his runs in regularly.
(c) Paul eating his meals in his room.
(d) A growing sense of intimacy.
2. In Chapter 11, one of the men says something about Spenser and guns. What is it?
(a) That Spenser has had a bad history with guns, and that he should stay away from them.
(b) That Spenser never carries a gun.
(c) That Spenser could not hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun full of bird shot.
(d) That Spenser never was a shooter, and that is what is wrong with him.
3. In Chapter 2, who is the narrator staking out and trying to find?
(b) Mel Giacomin.
(c) Harry Cotton.
(d) Susan Silverman.
4. In what city does this story take place?
(b) New York City.
(c) Los Angeles.
5. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
(b) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(c) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
(d) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
2. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
3. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 6, what nagging situation is on Spenser's mind?
5. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's muscles?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the beginning of Chapter 6, some time has passed since Spenser's case with the Giacomins; but, he really cannot stop thinking about the whole situation. It bothers him at a basketball game during a date with his girlfriend, Susan. What does this extended concern that Spenser shows for Paul and the discontent that Spenser feel for Patty and Mel show about Spenser's character?
2. What does Spenser's rescue plan for Patty and Paul along with its execution show us about yet another part of Spenser's personality?
3. In Chapter 12 we meet Hawk. What kind of a person does Hawk appear to be?
4. In Chapter 11, Spenser and Paul have a discussion about why Spenser did not shoot the intruders. What does Spenser tell Paul about his reluctance to shoot Buddy and Harold?
5. Why does Spenser not like the growing sense of intimacy that he describes in Chapter 10?
6. What do Paul Giacomin's feelings for his parents appear to be?
7. Based on what we read in Chapter 2, what types of personal qualities would be necessary to handle Spenser's job? Why?
8. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
9. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
10. When Paul arrives home, what is the reaction that mother and son both give and receive?
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)