|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spenser wonder about the female jogger in the beige and blue exercise outfit?
(a) Whether she would jog with him if he were to offer her money and power.
(b) Whether she was married or living with someone.
(c) Whether she was wealthy or poor?
(d) Whether he could ask her for her phone number.
2. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
3. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
(a) Investigate the client's spouse.
(b) Find the client's son and bring him back home.
(c) Locate the client's missing dog, a championship-winning fox terrier.
(d) Help the client find out about a blackmailer.
4. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) She is quiet for some time, and finally acknowledges that he has a point.
(b) Looking into her coffee cup, she says nothing,
(c) She begins to cry, and runs out of the kitchen and into her bedroom, slamming the door.
(d) She knocks over her half-full cup of coffee and its saucer off the table and onto the floor; and leaves the kitchen for her bedroom, slamming the door.
5. Who are the two men who force their way into Patty's house in Chapter 11?
(a) Hawk and Harry.
(b) Spenser and Buddy.
(c) Buddy and Harold.
(d) Henry and Harry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who is the narrator staking out and trying to find?
2. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
3. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
4. What is the setting of the first paragraph of Chapter 6?
5. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that it was wise for Spenser to have entered Giacomin's house the way that he did?
2. How is the reader likely to feel when Patty shows up to take Paul home in Chapter 22?
3. What type of person does Mel Giacomin appear to be?
4. Why does Paul's revelation that he would like to be a dancer important?
5. What is the lesson that Spenser is trying to teach Paul via the two of them building the cabin together with their own hands instead of hiring someone else to do it or using machinery?
6. How does Spenser diffuse the situation between himself, Buddy, and Harold in Chapter 11?
7. What does Spenser find out about Patty during the trip to New York?
8. In the scene where Paul arrives home, Patty is entertaining a male guest, Stephen Court. How does that scene make you feel?
9. What type of person does Patty Giacomin seem to be?
10. Spenser decides to tell Paul the truth about his mother's monthly trips to New York. Although they are not illegal, they appear to be immoral. How does Paul feel about learning that type of information about his mother?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)