|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
(a) To kill Spenser if he does not stay out of his business.
(b) To keep Paul for ransom.
(c) To burglarize Spenser's office.
(d) To kidnap Susan.
2. Which of the following projects does Spenser think will teach Paul to become independent and self-reliant?
(a) Moving out by himself.
(b) Growing his own food and living in a cabin in the Maine woods.
(c) Building a house on Susan's property in Fryeburg, Maine.
(d) Going camping for a month in the wilds of the Maine woods.
3. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
(a) Buddy Hartman.
(b) Harry Cimoli.
(c) Mel Giacomin.
4. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
(a) Cornbread, strawberry jam, and a bowl of assorted fruit.
(b) Oatmeal, butter, sugar, and coffee.
(c) Egg white omelettes and juice.
(d) Steak and eggs.
5. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
(a) To Miami.
(b) To Denver.
(c) To Philadelphia.
(d) To New York.
6. When Paul asks Spenser about his fighting career, he asks if he could have been a champion; and Spenser says no. What is Spenser's reasoning for that answer?
(a) Because he was in a different league than champions.
(b) Because he did not want to be a champion.
(c) Because he injured his knee and could not fight anymore.
(d) Because he got too old to train properly.
7. What is Paul's answer when Spenser asks him whether there is any place that he has always wanted to go, that no one would take him, that he was afraid to ask?
(a) That he would like to go to the ballet.
(b) That he would like to go to the symphony.
(c) That he would like to go to the opera.
(d) That he would like to go to the theater.
8. What is Spenser's solution to the problem discussed in Chapter 23?
(a) There is no solution.
(b) To blackmail Paul's parents.
(c) To look into boarding schools.
(d) To use Elaine to find Mel.
9. While Spenser and Paul are working in Chapter 22, who goes to the cabin?
10. Who is the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25?
(a) Harry Cotton.
(c) Buddy Hartman.
11. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
(b) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
(c) Because she does not trust the police.
(d) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
12. What information did Spenser find out from the person whom he caught in Chapter 24?
(a) That he knew Mel through Harry Cotten.
(b) That Mel Giacomin was an assassin.
(c) That Patty Giacomin was a prostitute.
(d) That Paul was really the son of a powerful mobster.
13. What does Spenser tell Paul that they are going to do with Susan's rural property?
(a) Cultivate the land to grow crops.
(b) Live in one cabin and build a better one.
(c) Hunt, fish, and trap.
(d) Cut down all of the trees and clear the land.
14. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(b) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
(c) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(d) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
15. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
(a) Because the two of them need time to work out their problems.
(b) Because they are harming him; and they have not taught him how to survive.
(c) Because Paul does not want to live with either one of them.
(d) Because they are using him to bait each other, and it is not psychologically or emotionally healthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What option does Spenser give Paul in Chapter 24?
2. Where do Spenser and Paul eat in Chapter 24?
3. What is the first step that Paul and Spenser work on when building the cabin?
4. Why does Susan feel the way that she does about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
5. Spenser tells Paul that they are building the cabin a simpler, yet less desirable way. Why is the way they are doing it less desirable?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)