|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paul's opinion on possibly finding out some less-than-desirable information on his parents?
(a) He does not care, and he is willing to help find out information about them.
(b) He is upset at the possibility.
(c) He is happy to learn about his parents' dirty laundry.
(d) He does not have an opinion.
2. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
(a) Susan's house in Smithfield.
(b) Patty's house in Lexington.
(c) Spenser's apartment in Boston.
(d) Mel's house in Andover.
3. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
(b) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
(c) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(d) Because she does not trust the police.
4. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
(a) Because they are afraid to admit what they like because other people may think they are weak.
(b) Because Paul's parents are small-minded people in a big world.
(c) Because they do not really care, and are just telling Paul that to bring his inquisitiveness to an end.
(d) Because they do not know any better; because they do not know who they are, or how to find outp or what a good person is, or how to find out. So they rely on categories.
5. How many miles was Paul up to running by May?
6. What is already built on Susan's rural property?
(a) The foundation for a new house.
(b) A well for fresh water.
(d) A rustic hunting cabin.
7. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
(a) With Hawk.
(b) With Harry Cimoli.
(c) At the cabin by himself.
(d) With Susan.
8. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(b) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(c) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(d) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
9. How does Susan describe the relationship that parents have with their children?
(a) Bad parents want their children to not be able to live without them.
(b) Parents only have children so that they have miniature self-likenesses running around.
(c) The children are possessions. In some cases, the parents' only possession.
(d) Good parents want their children to grow up to be strong individuals.
10. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
(a) Cornbread, strawberry jam, and a bowl of assorted fruit.
(b) Oatmeal, butter, sugar, and coffee.
(c) Egg white omelettes and juice.
(d) Steak and eggs.
11. On their trip to North Conway in Chapter 16, what does Spenser tell Paul is "against the rules"?
(a) Speaking badly of another person's beloved.
(b) Lying to Spenser.
(c) Running away from home.
(d) Not learning to be a man.
12. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
(a) Because they are harming him; and they have not taught him how to survive.
(b) Because they are using him to bait each other, and it is not psychologically or emotionally healthy.
(c) Because Paul does not want to live with either one of them.
(d) Because the two of them need time to work out their problems.
13. What does Spenser wear on Saturday morning in Chapter 19?
(a) A white suit, pink shirt, white tie, and white shoes.
(b) A black suit, a black shirt, a white tie, and black shoes.
(c) A brown suit, dark blue shirt, a dark blue tie, and brown shoes.
(d) A blue suit, a white shirt, a blue tie with red stripes on it, and black shoes.
14. In Chapter 19, what does Paul wear on Saturday morning?
(a) A grey suit, a purple shirt and tie, and his sneakers.
(b) A tan suit, a blue shirt, a tan tie, and his sneakers.
(c) A green polyester suit, purple shirt, and brown boots.
(d) A tan corduroy jacket, brown pants, a powder blue polyester shirt with dark blue pocket flaps, no tie, black socks, and top-sider shoes.
15. What does Spenser tell Paul that they are going to do with Susan's rural property?
(a) Live in one cabin and build a better one.
(b) Cut down all of the trees and clear the land.
(c) Cultivate the land to grow crops.
(d) Hunt, fish, and trap.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, where do Paul and Spenser go after lunch?
2. In Chapter 15, what does Spenser discover about Paul's strength when they are moving their gear and settling in?
3. Besides the man sitting at the desk, who else is in the building that Paul and Spenser visit in Chapter 25?
4. Spenser takes Paul to Louis'; what is Louis'?
5. What does Paul's dad, Mel say about the ballet?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)