|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mortimer Snerd?
(a) An author.
(b) A ventriloquist's dummy.
(c) A cartoon character.
(d) A nerdy TV personality.
2. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
(a) That Hawk take Paul into hiding.
(b) That Susan adopt Paul.
(c) That Spenser take Paul.
(d) That Paul go to live with his distant great-aunt in Ohio.
3. Where do Paul and Spenser stop to eat in Chapter 15?
(a) At a burger joint called "JB's" in Maine.
(b) At a drive-thru McDonald's on their way out of Massachusetts.
(c) A restaurant called "Horsefeathers" in North Conway, New Hampshire.
(d) At a diner called "Babe's" in Connecticut.
4. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
(b) Because she does not trust the police.
(c) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(d) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
5. What option does Spenser give Paul in Chapter 24?
(a) To live with him in the cabin.
(b) To go back home to his parents.
(c) To stay with Susan instead of going with him.
(d) To go away to school in London.
6. What does Spenser tell Paul about fighting in a "regular" fight?
(a) That anybody can beat anybody in a fight without rules.
(b) That fighting is only for the strong-willed.
(c) That the smartest fighter always wins.
(d) That the strongest fighter always wins.
7. What does Spenser tell Paul that they are going to do with Susan's rural property?
(a) Cultivate the land to grow crops.
(b) Hunt, fish, and trap.
(c) Live in one cabin and build a better one.
(d) Cut down all of the trees and clear the land.
8. Spenser takes Paul to Louis'; what is Louis'?
(a) A juke joint.
(b) A men's clothier.
(c) A rib shack.
(d) A bar.
9. What is Paul's opinion on possibly finding out some less-than-desirable information on his parents?
(a) He does not care, and he is willing to help find out information about them.
(b) He is upset at the possibility.
(c) He does not have an opinion.
(d) He is happy to learn about his parents' dirty laundry.
10. What does Susan think about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She is hopeful.
(c) She is positive.
(d) She is skeptical.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what skill is Paul learning?
(a) How to use a circular saw.
(b) How to use a saw horse.
(c) How to use a measuring tape.
(d) How to hammer a nail.
12. What is the name of the restaurant that Paul, Spenser, and Susan dine at in Chapter 19?
(a) La Casadorez.
(b) Tres Margaritas.
(c) Casa Romero.
(d) The Grumpy Gringo.
13. On their first full day at the cabin in Chapter 16, Spenser and Paul go to North Conway for which of the following?
(a) To buy a television for the cabin.
(b) To go record shopping.
(c) To buy Paul some sneakers.
(d) To buy books.
14. In Chapter 26, where do Paul and Spenser stay the first night?
(a) With Hawk.
(b) In Spenser's apartment in Boston.
(c) At Harry's gym.
(d) Back at the cabin.
15. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
(a) Harry Cimoli.
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Mel Giacomin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem are Susan and Spenser trying to solve in Chapter 23?
2. Who was the best fighter Spenser ever fought?
3. In Chapter 13, what is Spenser's response to the solution that Patty comes up with regarding living arrangements for Paul?
4. While Spenser and Paul are working in Chapter 22, who goes to the cabin?
5. What favor does Spenser ask of Susan in Chapter 23?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)