|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spenser say about ballet dancers?
(a) That dancing is for girls.
(b) That they are talentless hacks.
(c) That they are fine athletes and gifted artists.
(d) That ballet dancing is a very admirable profession.
2. Where do Paul and Spenser stop to eat in Chapter 15?
(a) At a diner called "Babe's" in Connecticut.
(b) At a burger joint called "JB's" in Maine.
(c) At a drive-thru McDonald's on their way out of Massachusetts.
(d) A restaurant called "Horsefeathers" in North Conway, New Hampshire.
3. What does Spenser tell Paul about fighting in a "regular" fight?
(a) That anybody can beat anybody in a fight without rules.
(b) That fighting is only for the strong-willed.
(c) That the smartest fighter always wins.
(d) That the strongest fighter always wins.
4. What does the group decide to have for dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) Grilled cheese sandwiches, potato chips, and fruit cocktail.
(b) Canned soup and crackers.
(d) BLTs, homemade bread and butter pickles, cheese, and apples.
5. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
(a) Because they are afraid to admit what they like because other people may think they are weak.
(b) Because they do not really care, and are just telling Paul that to bring his inquisitiveness to an end.
(c) Because they do not know any better; because they do not know who they are, or how to find outp or what a good person is, or how to find out. So they rely on categories.
(d) Because Paul's parents are small-minded people in a big world.
6. What does Spenser wear on Saturday morning in Chapter 19?
(a) A black suit, a black shirt, a white tie, and black shoes.
(b) A blue suit, a white shirt, a blue tie with red stripes on it, and black shoes.
(c) A brown suit, dark blue shirt, a dark blue tie, and brown shoes.
(d) A white suit, pink shirt, white tie, and white shoes.
7. What do Spenser and Paul have for lunch in Chapter 21?
(a) Cheddar cheese and Granny Smith apples, Bartlett pears, seedless green grapes, and an unsliced loaf of pumpernickel bread.
(b) Vegetable soup and crackers.
(c) Grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips.
(d) Cobb salad and French onion soup.
8. When Paul asks Spenser about his fighting career, he asks if he could have been a champion; and Spenser says no. What is Spenser's reasoning for that answer?
(a) Because he injured his knee and could not fight anymore.
(b) Because he was in a different league than champions.
(c) Because he got too old to train properly.
(d) Because he did not want to be a champion.
9. Why does Mel's access to "leg breakers" concern Spenser?
(a) Because Mel's friends could hurt Paul.
(b) Because a normal insurance salesman and real estate agent would not know where to find such individuals.
(c) Because they would get in the way of a court case.
(d) Because Mel's friends could hurt Patty.
10. When does Paul set out on his journey of self-discovery and growth?
(a) In September.
(b) In July.
(c) In August.
(d) In May.
11. What does Susan say about Spenser's personality in Chapter 20?
(a) That he is predictable.
(b) That he is unpredictable.
(c) That he works too hard to thwart people's expectations.
(d) That he is fun-loving and adventurous.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what skill is Paul learning?
(a) How to use a circular saw.
(b) How to use a measuring tape.
(c) How to hammer a nail.
(d) How to use a saw horse.
13. What favor does Spenser ask of Susan in Chapter 23?
(a) If she would marry him.
(b) If she would let Paul move in with her.
(c) If she would watch Paul while he took care of some business.
(d) If she would find out about ballet schools for Paul.
14. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
(a) To kidnap Susan.
(b) To kill Spenser if he does not stay out of his business.
(c) To burglarize Spenser's office.
(d) To keep Paul for ransom.
15. Spenser tells Paul that they are building the cabin a simpler, yet less desirable way. Why is the way they are doing it less desirable?
(a) The way that they are doing it is more expensive.
(b) The way they are doing it does not allow the cabin to have a cellar.
(c) The way that they are doing it is too shabby.
(d) The way that they are doing it takes more time, effort, and materials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
2. On their first full day at the cabin in Chapter 16, Spenser and Paul go to North Conway for which of the following?
3. What does Spenser think of the visitor's request in Chapter 22?
4. What does Paul's dad, Mel say about the ballet?
5. Who is the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)