|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what does Paul wear on Saturday morning?
(a) A tan suit, a blue shirt, a tan tie, and his sneakers.
(b) A tan corduroy jacket, brown pants, a powder blue polyester shirt with dark blue pocket flaps, no tie, black socks, and top-sider shoes.
(c) A green polyester suit, purple shirt, and brown boots.
(d) A grey suit, a purple shirt and tie, and his sneakers.
2. What does the visitor in Chapter 22 ask for Paul and Spenser to do?
(a) To handle a construction job.
(b) To show their building permits.
(c) For Paul to go with them.
(d) To hire Spenser for a case.
3. What does Susan say about Spenser's personality in Chapter 20?
(a) That he works too hard to thwart people's expectations.
(b) That he is fun-loving and adventurous.
(c) That he is predictable.
(d) That he is unpredictable.
4. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
(a) Because they do not know any better; because they do not know who they are, or how to find outp or what a good person is, or how to find out. So they rely on categories.
(b) Because Paul's parents are small-minded people in a big world.
(c) Because they are afraid to admit what they like because other people may think they are weak.
(d) Because they do not really care, and are just telling Paul that to bring his inquisitiveness to an end.
5. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
(a) That not having enough positivity can ruin a person's life.
(b) That there is no such thing as too much positivity in today's world.
(c) That too much positivity is a sign that the person with the outlook is either scared or stupid; or both.
(d) That too much positivity is for those who do not understand their surroundings.
6. What is Paul's opinion on possibly finding out some less-than-desirable information on his parents?
(a) He is happy to learn about his parents' dirty laundry.
(b) He does not care, and he is willing to help find out information about them.
(c) He is upset at the possibility.
(d) He does not have an opinion.
7. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
(a) With Susan.
(b) With Hawk.
(c) With Harry Cimoli.
(d) At the cabin by himself.
8. Spenser takes Paul to Louis'; what is Louis'?
(a) A juke joint.
(b) A rib shack.
(c) A bar.
(d) A men's clothier.
9. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
(b) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(c) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(d) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
10. What is Spenser's solution to the problem discussed in Chapter 23?
(a) To use Elaine to find Mel.
(b) To blackmail Paul's parents.
(c) To look into boarding schools.
(d) There is no solution.
11. What do Spenser and Paul have for lunch in Chapter 21?
(a) Vegetable soup and crackers.
(b) Cheddar cheese and Granny Smith apples, Bartlett pears, seedless green grapes, and an unsliced loaf of pumpernickel bread.
(c) Cobb salad and French onion soup.
(d) Grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips.
12. When does Paul set out on his journey of self-discovery and growth?
(a) In May.
(b) In September.
(c) In July.
(d) In August.
13. Which of the following projects does Spenser think will teach Paul to become independent and self-reliant?
(a) Moving out by himself.
(b) Going camping for a month in the wilds of the Maine woods.
(c) Growing his own food and living in a cabin in the Maine woods.
(d) Building a house on Susan's property in Fryeburg, Maine.
14. Where do Paul and Spenser arrive at in Chapter 25?
(a) Harry Cotton's car lot.
(b) Susan Silverman's office.
(c) Harry Crimoli's gym.
(d) Mel Giacomin's insurance firm.
15. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
(a) To kidnap Susan.
(b) To burglarize Spenser's office.
(c) To keep Paul for ransom.
(d) To kill Spenser if he does not stay out of his business.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
2. On their first full day at the cabin in Chapter 16, Spenser and Paul go to North Conway for which of the following?
3. What is the first step that Paul and Spenser work on when building the cabin?
4. In Chapter 15, Spenser and Paul are discussing Hawk. In that discussion about Hawk, what does Spenser tell Paul that he will help him learn?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what skill is Paul learning?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)