|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
(a) Because they do not really care, and are just telling Paul that to bring his inquisitiveness to an end.
(b) Because they are afraid to admit what they like because other people may think they are weak.
(c) Because Paul's parents are small-minded people in a big world.
(d) Because they do not know any better; because they do not know who they are, or how to find outp or what a good person is, or how to find out. So they rely on categories.
2. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
(a) With Hawk.
(b) With Harry Cimoli.
(c) With Susan.
(d) At the cabin by himself.
3. In Chapter 24, where do Paul and Spenser go after lunch?
(a) To the museum of natural science.
(b) To a bar.
(c) To the aquarium.
(d) To a Red Sox game.
4. What does Spenser wear on Saturday morning in Chapter 19?
(a) A blue suit, a white shirt, a blue tie with red stripes on it, and black shoes.
(b) A white suit, pink shirt, white tie, and white shoes.
(c) A black suit, a black shirt, a white tie, and black shoes.
(d) A brown suit, dark blue shirt, a dark blue tie, and brown shoes.
5. In Chapter 15, what does Spenser discover about Paul's strength when they are moving their gear and settling in?
(a) That Paul really is not a hard worker and really does not care to learn how to become one.
(b) That Paul really does have some strength and some fortitude.
(c) That Paul is misunderstood.
(d) That he really is weak and he does not know how to carry gear, like a shotgun, properly.
6. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
(a) That too much positivity is for those who do not understand their surroundings.
(b) That there is no such thing as too much positivity in today's world.
(c) That too much positivity is a sign that the person with the outlook is either scared or stupid; or both.
(d) That not having enough positivity can ruin a person's life.
7. What is Spenser's solution to the problem discussed in Chapter 23?
(a) To use Elaine to find Mel.
(b) To blackmail Paul's parents.
(c) To look into boarding schools.
(d) There is no solution.
8. In Chapter 20, what does Paul reveal to Spenser about his dreams?
(a) That he would like to be an architect.
(b) That he would like to be a construction worker.
(c) That he would like to be a private detective.
(d) That he would like to be a ballet dancer.
9. How many miles was Paul up to running by May?
10. What does the group decide to have for dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) BLTs, homemade bread and butter pickles, cheese, and apples.
(c) Canned soup and crackers.
(d) Grilled cheese sandwiches, potato chips, and fruit cocktail.
11. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
(b) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(c) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(d) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
12. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
(a) Harry Cimoli.
(c) Buddy Hartman.
(d) Mel Giacomin.
13. Why does Mel's access to "leg breakers" concern Spenser?
(a) Because Mel's friends could hurt Paul.
(b) Because they would get in the way of a court case.
(c) Because a normal insurance salesman and real estate agent would not know where to find such individuals.
(d) Because Mel's friends could hurt Patty.
14. What does Spenser tell Paul that they are going to do with Susan's rural property?
(a) Cultivate the land to grow crops.
(b) Cut down all of the trees and clear the land.
(c) Live in one cabin and build a better one.
(d) Hunt, fish, and trap.
15. When does Paul set out on his journey of self-discovery and growth?
(a) In August.
(b) In September.
(c) In July.
(d) In May.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Spenser ask of Susan in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
3. What is the first step that Paul and Spenser work on when building the cabin?
4. Who was the best fighter Spenser ever fought?
5. How does Susan describe the relationship that parents have with their children?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)