|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what skill is Paul learning?
(a) How to use a saw horse.
(b) How to use a circular saw.
(c) How to hammer a nail.
(d) How to use a measuring tape.
2. Where do Paul and Spenser stop to eat in Chapter 15?
(a) At a drive-thru McDonald's on their way out of Massachusetts.
(b) A restaurant called "Horsefeathers" in North Conway, New Hampshire.
(c) At a burger joint called "JB's" in Maine.
(d) At a diner called "Babe's" in Connecticut.
3. What is Paul's answer when Spenser asks him whether there is any place that he has always wanted to go, that no one would take him, that he was afraid to ask?
(a) That he would like to go to the ballet.
(b) That he would like to go to the opera.
(c) That he would like to go to the symphony.
(d) That he would like to go to the theater.
4. In Chapter 17, when Paul asks Spenser why he cannot just leave him alone, what is Spenser's answer?
(a) Because everybody in his life has left him alone all of his life, and it has not done him any good.
(b) Because Spenser thinks that Paul needs less structure in his life.
(c) Because Paul's parents never left him alone, and Spenser does not feel that he should have to either.
(d) Because Paul must learn to respect his elders.
5. How does Susan describe the relationship that parents have with their children?
(a) Parents only have children so that they have miniature self-likenesses running around.
(b) The children are possessions. In some cases, the parents' only possession.
(c) Good parents want their children to grow up to be strong individuals.
(d) Bad parents want their children to not be able to live without them.
6. In Chapter 24, where do Paul and Spenser go after lunch?
(a) To a Red Sox game.
(b) To the aquarium.
(c) To a bar.
(d) To the museum of natural science.
7. What information did Spenser find out from the person whom he caught in Chapter 24?
(a) That Mel Giacomin was an assassin.
(b) That he knew Mel through Harry Cotten.
(c) That Paul was really the son of a powerful mobster.
(d) That Patty Giacomin was a prostitute.
8. What favor does Spenser ask of Susan in Chapter 23?
(a) If she would find out about ballet schools for Paul.
(b) If she would marry him.
(c) If she would watch Paul while he took care of some business.
(d) If she would let Paul move in with her.
9. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
(b) Because she does not trust the police.
(c) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(d) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
10. Who is already there when Spenser arrives at his destination in Chapter 13?
(a) Mel, Buddy, and Harold.
(b) Paul, Mel, and Buddy.
(c) Susan, Patty, and Paul; Hawk arrives with Spenser.
(d) Hawk, Buddy, and Harold.
11. Besides the man sitting at the desk, who else is in the building that Paul and Spenser visit in Chapter 25?
(a) No one.
(b) Two rottweiler dogs.
(c) Three men playing cards.
(d) A room full of bookies.
12. In Chapter 17, what physical activity do Spenser and Paul engage in?
(c) Weight lifting.
(d) Playing golf.
13. In Chapter 14, what does Hawk say about Spenser?
(a) That he is unreliable.
(b) That he is predictable.
(c) That he is reliable.
(d) That he is unpredictable.
14. In Chapter 19, what does Paul wear on Saturday morning?
(a) A tan suit, a blue shirt, a tan tie, and his sneakers.
(b) A green polyester suit, purple shirt, and brown boots.
(c) A grey suit, a purple shirt and tie, and his sneakers.
(d) A tan corduroy jacket, brown pants, a powder blue polyester shirt with dark blue pocket flaps, no tie, black socks, and top-sider shoes.
15. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
(a) That not having enough positivity can ruin a person's life.
(b) That there is no such thing as too much positivity in today's world.
(c) That too much positivity is for those who do not understand their surroundings.
(d) That too much positivity is a sign that the person with the outlook is either scared or stupid; or both.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25?
2. Where do Paul and Spenser arrive at in Chapter 25?
3. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
4. Why does Mel's access to "leg breakers" concern Spenser?
5. Which of the following projects does Spenser think will teach Paul to become independent and self-reliant?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)