|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides the man sitting at the desk, who else is in the building that Paul and Spenser visit in Chapter 25?
(a) Two rottweiler dogs.
(b) Three men playing cards.
(c) A room full of bookies.
(d) No one.
2. In Chapter 13, what is Spenser's response to the solution that Patty comes up with regarding living arrangements for Paul?
(a) He is ecstatic about Hawk taking Paul into hiding.
(b) He agrees to take Paul.
(c) He thinks that Ohio is a good place for Paul, since he does not want to live with either parent.
(d) He is not sure that Susan is ready for a child.
3. Where do Paul and Spenser arrive at in Chapter 25?
(a) Harry Crimoli's gym.
(b) Mel Giacomin's insurance firm.
(c) Susan Silverman's office.
(d) Harry Cotton's car lot.
4. What information did Spenser find out from the person whom he caught in Chapter 24?
(a) That Patty Giacomin was a prostitute.
(b) That he knew Mel through Harry Cotten.
(c) That Paul was really the son of a powerful mobster.
(d) That Mel Giacomin was an assassin.
5. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
(a) Egg white omelettes and juice.
(b) Steak and eggs.
(c) Cornbread, strawberry jam, and a bowl of assorted fruit.
(d) Oatmeal, butter, sugar, and coffee.
6. In Chapter 17, when Paul asks Spenser why he cannot just leave him alone, what is Spenser's answer?
(a) Because Paul's parents never left him alone, and Spenser does not feel that he should have to either.
(b) Because Spenser thinks that Paul needs less structure in his life.
(c) Because Paul must learn to respect his elders.
(d) Because everybody in his life has left him alone all of his life, and it has not done him any good.
7. What does Spenser need to learn more than anything else if he is to survive?
(a) How to dress.
(b) How to make his parents happy.
(d) How to please others.
8. What do Spenser and Paul have for lunch in Chapter 21?
(a) Vegetable soup and crackers.
(b) Cheddar cheese and Granny Smith apples, Bartlett pears, seedless green grapes, and an unsliced loaf of pumpernickel bread.
(c) Grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips.
(d) Cobb salad and French onion soup.
9. What does Susan say about Spenser's personality in Chapter 20?
(a) That he is unpredictable.
(b) That he is fun-loving and adventurous.
(c) That he works too hard to thwart people's expectations.
(d) That he is predictable.
10. Who was the best fighter Spenser ever fought?
(a) Muhammad Ali.
(b) Joe Walcott.
(c) Rob Marciano.
(d) Horace Gracie.
11. Who is the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25?
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Harry Cotton.
12. What is already built on Susan's rural property?
(a) The foundation for a new house.
(c) A well for fresh water.
(d) A rustic hunting cabin.
13. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(b) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
(c) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(d) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
14. What does Spenser say about ballet dancers?
(a) That dancing is for girls.
(b) That ballet dancing is a very admirable profession.
(c) That they are fine athletes and gifted artists.
(d) That they are talentless hacks.
15. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
(a) Because Paul's parents are small-minded people in a big world.
(b) Because they are afraid to admit what they like because other people may think they are weak.
(c) Because they do not know any better; because they do not know who they are, or how to find outp or what a good person is, or how to find out. So they rely on categories.
(d) Because they do not really care, and are just telling Paul that to bring his inquisitiveness to an end.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Paul and Spenser stop to eat in Chapter 15?
2. Why does Susan feel the way that she does about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
3. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
4. In Chapter 19, what does Paul wear on Saturday morning?
5. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)