|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
(a) Because they are harming him; and they have not taught him how to survive.
(b) Because they are using him to bait each other, and it is not psychologically or emotionally healthy.
(c) Because Paul does not want to live with either one of them.
(d) Because the two of them need time to work out their problems.
2. When Paul asks Spenser about his fighting career, he asks if he could have been a champion; and Spenser says no. What is Spenser's reasoning for that answer?
(a) Because he was in a different league than champions.
(b) Because he injured his knee and could not fight anymore.
(c) Because he got too old to train properly.
(d) Because he did not want to be a champion.
3. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(b) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
(c) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(d) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
4. In Chapter 19, what does Paul wear on Saturday morning?
(a) A tan corduroy jacket, brown pants, a powder blue polyester shirt with dark blue pocket flaps, no tie, black socks, and top-sider shoes.
(b) A grey suit, a purple shirt and tie, and his sneakers.
(c) A green polyester suit, purple shirt, and brown boots.
(d) A tan suit, a blue shirt, a tan tie, and his sneakers.
5. Who is already there when Spenser arrives at his destination in Chapter 13?
(a) Susan, Patty, and Paul; Hawk arrives with Spenser.
(b) Paul, Mel, and Buddy.
(c) Hawk, Buddy, and Harold.
(d) Mel, Buddy, and Harold.
6. What does Paul ask Spenser about red and gray squirrels?
(a) Which ones live around the cabin.
(b) Which ones are meaner.
(c) Which ones are friendlier.
(d) What the difference is between the two of them.
7. What is the name of the restaurant that Paul, Spenser, and Susan dine at in Chapter 19?
(a) La Casadorez.
(b) Casa Romero.
(c) Tres Margaritas.
(d) The Grumpy Gringo.
8. In Chapter 15, Spenser and Paul are discussing Hawk. In that discussion about Hawk, what does Spenser tell Paul that he will help him learn?
(a) The difference between being good and being a good man.
(b) The difference between being weak and being weak-willed.
(c) The difference between being good and being good at something.
(d) The difference between being strong and being strong-minded.
9. What option does Spenser give Paul in Chapter 24?
(a) To stay with Susan instead of going with him.
(b) To go back home to his parents.
(c) To go away to school in London.
(d) To live with him in the cabin.
10. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
(a) Mel Giacomin.
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Harry Cimoli.
11. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
(a) He was very fit, with well-defined muscles and a crew haircut.
(b) He was enormous; with thin blonde hair and the face of a bull mastiff.
(c) Scrawny, potbellied, with long, dirty fingernails and yellow teeth. His hair was the color of a Norway rat, and very thin.
(d) He was very businesslike; a crisp suit, spectacles, and a red tie.
12. What is already built on Susan's rural property?
(a) A well for fresh water.
(b) A rustic hunting cabin.
(c) The foundation for a new house.
13. What is the answer to the visitor's demand in Chapter 22?
(a) Spenser will take the case.
(b) They answer that they do not have a construction permit.
(c) Paul will not go.
(d) They turn down the construction job offer.
14. What is Paul's answer when Spenser asks him whether there is any place that he has always wanted to go, that no one would take him, that he was afraid to ask?
(a) That he would like to go to the theater.
(b) That he would like to go to the symphony.
(c) That he would like to go to the opera.
(d) That he would like to go to the ballet.
15. In Chapter 17, what physical activity do Spenser and Paul engage in?
(c) Weight lifting.
(d) Playing golf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul's dad, Mel say about the ballet?
2. Besides the man sitting at the desk, who else is in the building that Paul and Spenser visit in Chapter 25?
3. On their first full day at the cabin in Chapter 16, Spenser and Paul go to North Conway for which of the following?
4. In Chapter 21, what physical activity do Spenser and Paul engage in?
5. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)