|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the restaurant that Paul, Spenser, and Susan dine at in Chapter 19?
(a) The Grumpy Gringo.
(b) La Casadorez.
(c) Tres Margaritas.
(d) Casa Romero.
2. Who was the best fighter Spenser ever fought?
(a) Rob Marciano.
(b) Joe Walcott.
(c) Muhammad Ali.
(d) Horace Gracie.
3. What option does Spenser give Paul in Chapter 24?
(a) To go away to school in London.
(b) To go back home to his parents.
(c) To stay with Susan instead of going with him.
(d) To live with him in the cabin.
4. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
(a) He was very fit, with well-defined muscles and a crew haircut.
(b) He was very businesslike; a crisp suit, spectacles, and a red tie.
(c) Scrawny, potbellied, with long, dirty fingernails and yellow teeth. His hair was the color of a Norway rat, and very thin.
(d) He was enormous; with thin blonde hair and the face of a bull mastiff.
5. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
(a) That Paul go to live with his distant great-aunt in Ohio.
(b) That Spenser take Paul.
(c) That Hawk take Paul into hiding.
(d) That Susan adopt Paul.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what skill is Paul learning?
(a) How to use a measuring tape.
(b) How to use a circular saw.
(c) How to hammer a nail.
(d) How to use a saw horse.
7. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
(a) Because Paul's parents are small-minded people in a big world.
(b) Because they do not really care, and are just telling Paul that to bring his inquisitiveness to an end.
(c) Because they do not know any better; because they do not know who they are, or how to find outp or what a good person is, or how to find out. So they rely on categories.
(d) Because they are afraid to admit what they like because other people may think they are weak.
8. In Chapter 19, what does Paul wear on Saturday morning?
(a) A tan suit, a blue shirt, a tan tie, and his sneakers.
(b) A tan corduroy jacket, brown pants, a powder blue polyester shirt with dark blue pocket flaps, no tie, black socks, and top-sider shoes.
(c) A grey suit, a purple shirt and tie, and his sneakers.
(d) A green polyester suit, purple shirt, and brown boots.
9. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
(a) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Harry Cimoli.
(d) Mel Giacomin.
10. Who is the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25?
(a) Buddy Hartman.
(d) Harry Cotton.
11. Where do Paul and Spenser arrive at in Chapter 25?
(a) Susan Silverman's office.
(b) Harry Crimoli's gym.
(c) Mel Giacomin's insurance firm.
(d) Harry Cotton's car lot.
12. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she does not trust the police.
(b) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(c) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
(d) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
13. Which of the following projects does Spenser think will teach Paul to become independent and self-reliant?
(a) Going camping for a month in the wilds of the Maine woods.
(b) Moving out by himself.
(c) Growing his own food and living in a cabin in the Maine woods.
(d) Building a house on Susan's property in Fryeburg, Maine.
14. What do Spenser and Paul have for lunch in Chapter 21?
(a) Grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips.
(b) Cheddar cheese and Granny Smith apples, Bartlett pears, seedless green grapes, and an unsliced loaf of pumpernickel bread.
(c) Vegetable soup and crackers.
(d) Cobb salad and French onion soup.
15. What does Susan say about Spenser's personality in Chapter 20?
(a) That he works too hard to thwart people's expectations.
(b) That he is predictable.
(c) That he is fun-loving and adventurous.
(d) That he is unpredictable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information did Spenser find out from the person whom he caught in Chapter 24?
2. What does Spenser need to learn more than anything else if he is to survive?
3. What is Paul's answer when Spenser asks him whether there is any place that he has always wanted to go, that no one would take him, that he was afraid to ask?
4. What does Spenser wear on Saturday morning in Chapter 19?
5. Where do Spenser and Paul eat in Chapter 24?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)