|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
(a) He was enormous; with thin blonde hair and the face of a bull mastiff.
(b) Scrawny, potbellied, with long, dirty fingernails and yellow teeth. His hair was the color of a Norway rat, and very thin.
(c) He was very fit, with well-defined muscles and a crew haircut.
(d) He was very businesslike; a crisp suit, spectacles, and a red tie.
2. What does Spenser say about ballet dancers?
(a) That they are fine athletes and gifted artists.
(b) That they are talentless hacks.
(c) That ballet dancing is a very admirable profession.
(d) That dancing is for girls.
3. What is Paul's answer when Spenser asks him whether there is any place that he has always wanted to go, that no one would take him, that he was afraid to ask?
(a) That he would like to go to the ballet.
(b) That he would like to go to the symphony.
(c) That he would like to go to the opera.
(d) That he would like to go to the theater.
4. How many miles was Paul up to running by May?
5. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
(a) Because they do not know any better; because they do not know who they are, or how to find outp or what a good person is, or how to find out. So they rely on categories.
(b) Because they do not really care, and are just telling Paul that to bring his inquisitiveness to an end.
(c) Because they are afraid to admit what they like because other people may think they are weak.
(d) Because Paul's parents are small-minded people in a big world.
6. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
(a) Harry Cimoli.
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Mel Giacomin.
7. In Chapter 24, where do Paul and Spenser go after lunch?
(a) To a bar.
(b) To the aquarium.
(c) To the museum of natural science.
(d) To a Red Sox game.
8. Where do Paul and Spenser stop to eat in Chapter 15?
(a) At a diner called "Babe's" in Connecticut.
(b) A restaurant called "Horsefeathers" in North Conway, New Hampshire.
(c) At a drive-thru McDonald's on their way out of Massachusetts.
(d) At a burger joint called "JB's" in Maine.
9. What does Susan think about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
(a) She is skeptical.
(b) She is positive.
(c) She is hopeful.
(d) She is excited.
10. Where does Spenser have Paul stay in Chapter 23?
(a) With Susan.
(b) With Hawk.
(c) At the cabin by himself.
(d) With Harry Cimoli.
11. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
(a) Patty's house in Lexington.
(b) Spenser's apartment in Boston.
(c) Mel's house in Andover.
(d) Susan's house in Smithfield.
12. Why does Mel's access to "leg breakers" concern Spenser?
(a) Because a normal insurance salesman and real estate agent would not know where to find such individuals.
(b) Because Mel's friends could hurt Patty.
(c) Because they would get in the way of a court case.
(d) Because Mel's friends could hurt Paul.
13. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
(a) Cornbread, strawberry jam, and a bowl of assorted fruit.
(b) Oatmeal, butter, sugar, and coffee.
(c) Egg white omelettes and juice.
(d) Steak and eggs.
14. In Chapter 14, what does Hawk say about Spenser?
(a) That he is unpredictable.
(b) That he is reliable.
(c) That he is predictable.
(d) That he is unreliable.
15. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
(a) That Paul go to live with his distant great-aunt in Ohio.
(b) That Susan adopt Paul.
(c) That Spenser take Paul.
(d) That Hawk take Paul into hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan describe the relationship that parents have with their children?
2. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
3. On their trip to North Conway in Chapter 16, what does Spenser tell Paul is "against the rules"?
4. Where do Paul and Spenser arrive at in Chapter 25?
5. Where do Spenser and Paul eat in Chapter 24?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)