|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what physical activity do Spenser and Paul engage in?
(a) Weight lifting.
(b) Playing golf.
2. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(b) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(c) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(d) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
3. What is already built on Susan's rural property?
(b) A rustic hunting cabin.
(c) A well for fresh water.
(d) The foundation for a new house.
4. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Miami.
(c) To Denver.
(d) To Philadelphia.
5. What does the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25 look like?
(a) He was very businesslike; a crisp suit, spectacles, and a red tie.
(b) Scrawny, potbellied, with long, dirty fingernails and yellow teeth. His hair was the color of a Norway rat, and very thin.
(c) He was enormous; with thin blonde hair and the face of a bull mastiff.
(d) He was very fit, with well-defined muscles and a crew haircut.
6. Where do Spenser and Paul eat in Chapter 24?
(a) Quincy Market.
(b) Casa Rosa's.
(c) At the cabin.
(d) Babe's Bistro.
7. Which of the following projects does Spenser think will teach Paul to become independent and self-reliant?
(a) Moving out by himself.
(b) Going camping for a month in the wilds of the Maine woods.
(c) Building a house on Susan's property in Fryeburg, Maine.
(d) Growing his own food and living in a cabin in the Maine woods.
8. When Paul asks Spenser about his fighting career, he asks if he could have been a champion; and Spenser says no. What is Spenser's reasoning for that answer?
(a) Because he injured his knee and could not fight anymore.
(b) Because he got too old to train properly.
(c) Because he did not want to be a champion.
(d) Because he was in a different league than champions.
9. What does Paul's dad, Mel say about the ballet?
(a) That it is for girls.
(b) That it is embarassing.
(c) That it is boring.
(d) That it is not art.
10. What does Spenser tell Paul about fighting in a "regular" fight?
(a) That anybody can beat anybody in a fight without rules.
(b) That fighting is only for the strong-willed.
(c) That the strongest fighter always wins.
(d) That the smartest fighter always wins.
11. What is Paul's opinion on possibly finding out some less-than-desirable information on his parents?
(a) He is upset at the possibility.
(b) He does not care, and he is willing to help find out information about them.
(c) He is happy to learn about his parents' dirty laundry.
(d) He does not have an opinion.
12. While Spenser and Paul are working in Chapter 22, who goes to the cabin?
13. Where do Paul and Spenser stop to eat in Chapter 15?
(a) At a burger joint called "JB's" in Maine.
(b) At a diner called "Babe's" in Connecticut.
(c) A restaurant called "Horsefeathers" in North Conway, New Hampshire.
(d) At a drive-thru McDonald's on their way out of Massachusetts.
14. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
(a) Steak and eggs.
(b) Egg white omelettes and juice.
(c) Cornbread, strawberry jam, and a bowl of assorted fruit.
(d) Oatmeal, butter, sugar, and coffee.
15. What is the answer to the visitor's demand in Chapter 22?
(a) Spenser will take the case.
(b) They answer that they do not have a construction permit.
(c) They turn down the construction job offer.
(d) Paul will not go.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what skill is Paul learning?
2. What does Spenser think of the visitor's request in Chapter 22?
3. Spenser takes Paul to Louis'; what is Louis'?
4. Right after visiting Louis', where do Paul and Spenser go?
5. Who are Spenser and Paul looking for after lunch in Chapter 24?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)