|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susan think about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
(a) She is skeptical.
(b) She is positive.
(c) She is hopeful.
(d) She is excited.
2. Who was the best fighter Spenser ever fought?
(a) Muhammad Ali.
(b) Rob Marciano.
(c) Joe Walcott.
(d) Horace Gracie.
3. What is the first step that Paul and Spenser work on when building the cabin?
(a) Reading blueprints for the cabin.
(b) Putting up a fence around the property.
(c) Clearing the land for the foundation.
(d) Digging holes for the foundation tubes.
4. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(b) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
(c) Because she does not trust the police.
(d) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
5. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(b) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
(c) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
(d) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
6. What does Spenser think of the visitor's request in Chapter 22?
(a) "But there is nothing to be done about it."
(b) "That is what you did with Harry."
(c) "You want to move in with the spiffy one on a permanent basis. But he will not take the kid. You cannot keep paying me to babysit, so you are going to ship him off to the old man."
(d) "Do we sense a pattern developing?"
7. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
(a) Egg white omelettes and juice.
(b) Oatmeal, butter, sugar, and coffee.
(c) Cornbread, strawberry jam, and a bowl of assorted fruit.
(d) Steak and eggs.
8. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
(a) Spenser's apartment in Boston.
(b) Mel's house in Andover.
(c) Patty's house in Lexington.
(d) Susan's house in Smithfield.
9. What is the answer to the visitor's demand in Chapter 22?
(a) Spenser will take the case.
(b) They turn down the construction job offer.
(c) Paul will not go.
(d) They answer that they do not have a construction permit.
10. In Chapter 15, Spenser and Paul are discussing Hawk. In that discussion about Hawk, what does Spenser tell Paul that he will help him learn?
(a) The difference between being good and being good at something.
(b) The difference between being weak and being weak-willed.
(c) The difference between being good and being a good man.
(d) The difference between being strong and being strong-minded.
11. How many miles was Paul up to running by May?
12. What information did Spenser find out from the person whom he caught in Chapter 24?
(a) That he knew Mel through Harry Cotten.
(b) That Patty Giacomin was a prostitute.
(c) That Mel Giacomin was an assassin.
(d) That Paul was really the son of a powerful mobster.
13. What is already built on Susan's rural property?
(a) The foundation for a new house.
(b) A rustic hunting cabin.
(c) A well for fresh water.
14. What is Paul's answer when Spenser asks him whether there is any place that he has always wanted to go, that no one would take him, that he was afraid to ask?
(a) That he would like to go to the theater.
(b) That he would like to go to the opera.
(c) That he would like to go to the symphony.
(d) That he would like to go to the ballet.
15. When does Paul set out on his journey of self-discovery and growth?
(a) In May.
(b) In July.
(c) In August.
(d) In September.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is already there when Spenser arrives at his destination in Chapter 13?
2. Right after visiting Louis', where do Paul and Spenser go?
3. In Chapter 17, what physical activity do Spenser and Paul engage in?
4. In Chapter 21, what physical activity do Spenser and Paul engage in?
5. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)