|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
(a) Because they are using him to bait each other, and it is not psychologically or emotionally healthy.
(b) Because the two of them need time to work out their problems.
(c) Because Paul does not want to live with either one of them.
(d) Because they are harming him; and they have not taught him how to survive.
2. What does Paul ask Spenser about red and gray squirrels?
(a) Which ones live around the cabin.
(b) Which ones are meaner.
(c) Which ones are friendlier.
(d) What the difference is between the two of them.
3. What does Spenser wear on Saturday morning in Chapter 19?
(a) A white suit, pink shirt, white tie, and white shoes.
(b) A blue suit, a white shirt, a blue tie with red stripes on it, and black shoes.
(c) A black suit, a black shirt, a white tie, and black shoes.
(d) A brown suit, dark blue shirt, a dark blue tie, and brown shoes.
4. When does Paul set out on his journey of self-discovery and growth?
(a) In August.
(b) In May.
(c) In July.
(d) In September.
5. Where do Spenser and Paul eat in Chapter 24?
(a) Casa Rosa's.
(b) Quincy Market.
(c) Babe's Bistro.
(d) At the cabin.
6. What do Spenser and Paul have for lunch in Chapter 21?
(a) Cobb salad and French onion soup.
(b) Vegetable soup and crackers.
(c) Grilled cheese sandwiches and potato chips.
(d) Cheddar cheese and Granny Smith apples, Bartlett pears, seedless green grapes, and an unsliced loaf of pumpernickel bread.
7. How does Susan describe the relationship that parents have with their children?
(a) The children are possessions. In some cases, the parents' only possession.
(b) Parents only have children so that they have miniature self-likenesses running around.
(c) Good parents want their children to grow up to be strong individuals.
(d) Bad parents want their children to not be able to live without them.
8. What is the story that Patty recalls in Chapter 13?
(a) That she was at the grocery store when three men with guns forced her into theri car. They drove to a pay phone in Boston, and then on to a bridge where they told her to get out and start walking.
(b) That Mel was waiting for her by her car in the grocery store parking lot, and that he demanded his son or he would tell the police that she had kidnapped him.
(c) That while she was at the grocery store, three of Mel's henchmen threatened to kill her if she did not deliver Paul to Mel's house that afternoon.
(d) The story of how she and Mel met and got married.
9. In Chapter 18, where does Paul tell Spenser that he has never been?
(a) To Miami.
(b) To Philadelphia.
(c) To Denver.
(d) To New York.
10. While Spenser and Paul are working in Chapter 22, who goes to the cabin?
11. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
(b) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(c) Because she does not trust the police.
(d) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
12. Who is already there when Spenser arrives at his destination in Chapter 13?
(a) Susan, Patty, and Paul; Hawk arrives with Spenser.
(b) Mel, Buddy, and Harold.
(c) Paul, Mel, and Buddy.
(d) Hawk, Buddy, and Harold.
13. Why does Susan feel the way that she does about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
(a) Because she knows how difficult it is to raise children with issues like Paul's; and she doubts that there is any possibility of change.
(b) Because she had a child that she had to give up, and she still hurts over that decision.
(c) Because she was separated from her parents when she was young, and she feels that it was a detriment to the rest of her life.
(d) Because as a guidance counselor, she knows how necessary it is for a child to be with their parents, even if the parents are abusive.
14. What is the name of the restaurant that Paul, Spenser, and Susan dine at in Chapter 19?
(a) The Grumpy Gringo.
(b) Tres Margaritas.
(c) La Casadorez.
(d) Casa Romero.
15. Who is the man sitting at the desk in Chapter 25?
(b) Harry Cotton.
(c) Buddy Hartman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Spenser tells Paul that they are building the cabin a simpler, yet less desirable way. Why is the way they are doing it less desirable?
2. How many miles was Paul up to running by May?
3. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
4. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
5. What does Spenser think of the visitor's request in Chapter 22?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)