|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susan think about the idea of Paul being away from his parents and learning self-reliance?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She is skeptical.
(c) She is hopeful.
(d) She is positive.
2. What does Paul's dad, Mel say about the ballet?
(a) That it is for girls.
(b) That it is embarassing.
(c) That it is not art.
(d) That it is boring.
3. Spenser tells Paul that they are building the cabin a simpler, yet less desirable way. Why is the way they are doing it less desirable?
(a) The way that they are doing it takes more time, effort, and materials.
(b) The way that they are doing it is too shabby.
(c) The way that they are doing it is more expensive.
(d) The way they are doing it does not allow the cabin to have a cellar.
4. Where do Spenser and Paul eat in Chapter 24?
(a) Quincy Market.
(b) Babe's Bistro.
(c) Casa Rosa's.
(d) At the cabin.
5. When does Paul set out on his journey of self-discovery and growth?
(a) In September.
(b) In July.
(c) In May.
(d) In August.
6. Why does Patty refuse to report Mel's actions to the police?
(a) Because she does not trust the police.
(b) Because she is afraid that Paul will hate her for it.
(c) Because she believes that the police are too busy to handle it.
(d) Because she is afraid he will kill her.
7. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
(a) Because Paul does not want to live with either one of them.
(b) Because they are harming him; and they have not taught him how to survive.
(c) Because they are using him to bait each other, and it is not psychologically or emotionally healthy.
(d) Because the two of them need time to work out their problems.
8. Why does Mel's access to "leg breakers" concern Spenser?
(a) Because Mel's friends could hurt Paul.
(b) Because a normal insurance salesman and real estate agent would not know where to find such individuals.
(c) Because Mel's friends could hurt Patty.
(d) Because they would get in the way of a court case.
9. In Chapter 20, what does Paul reveal to Spenser about his dreams?
(a) That he would like to be a private detective.
(b) That he would like to be a construction worker.
(c) That he would like to be an architect.
(d) That he would like to be a ballet dancer.
10. What does Susan say about Spenser's personality in Chapter 20?
(a) That he is predictable.
(b) That he works too hard to thwart people's expectations.
(c) That he is unpredictable.
(d) That he is fun-loving and adventurous.
11. What favor does Spenser ask of Susan in Chapter 23?
(a) If she would find out about ballet schools for Paul.
(b) If she would marry him.
(c) If she would let Paul move in with her.
(d) If she would watch Paul while he took care of some business.
12. In Chapter 17, what physical activity do Spenser and Paul engage in?
(b) Weight lifting.
(d) Playing golf.
13. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
(a) To burglarize Spenser's office.
(b) To keep Paul for ransom.
(c) To kidnap Susan.
(d) To kill Spenser if he does not stay out of his business.
14. What does Spenser wear on Saturday morning in Chapter 19?
(a) A white suit, pink shirt, white tie, and white shoes.
(b) A brown suit, dark blue shirt, a dark blue tie, and brown shoes.
(c) A blue suit, a white shirt, a blue tie with red stripes on it, and black shoes.
(d) A black suit, a black shirt, a white tie, and black shoes.
15. In Chapter 17, when Paul asks Spenser why he cannot just leave him alone, what is Spenser's answer?
(a) Because Paul must learn to respect his elders.
(b) Because Paul's parents never left him alone, and Spenser does not feel that he should have to either.
(c) Because Spenser thinks that Paul needs less structure in his life.
(d) Because everybody in his life has left him alone all of his life, and it has not done him any good.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susan describe the relationship that parents have with their children?
2. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
3. Right after visiting Louis', where do Paul and Spenser go?
4. Who is already there when Spenser arrives at his destination in Chapter 13?
5. What does Spenser say about too much positivity in Chapter 20?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)