|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides the man sitting at the desk, who else is in the building that Paul and Spenser visit in Chapter 25?
(a) Two rottweiler dogs.
(b) A room full of bookies.
(c) No one.
(d) Three men playing cards.
2. What does the man at the desk threaten to do in Chapter 25?
(a) To kidnap Susan.
(b) To keep Paul for ransom.
(c) To kill Spenser if he does not stay out of his business.
(d) To burglarize Spenser's office.
3. In Chapter 26, where do Paul and Spenser stay the first night?
(a) Back at the cabin.
(b) With Hawk.
(c) At Harry's gym.
(d) In Spenser's apartment in Boston.
4. In Chapter 20, what does Paul reveal to Spenser about his dreams?
(a) That he would like to be a ballet dancer.
(b) That he would like to be a construction worker.
(c) That he would like to be an architect.
(d) That he would like to be a private detective.
5. What does the group decide to have for dinner in Chapter 13?
(a) Grilled cheese sandwiches, potato chips, and fruit cocktail.
(b) BLTs, homemade bread and butter pickles, cheese, and apples.
(c) Canned soup and crackers.
6. What does the visitor in Chapter 22 ask for Paul and Spenser to do?
(a) For Paul to go with them.
(b) To hire Spenser for a case.
(c) To show their building permits.
(d) To handle a construction job.
7. What is the answer to the visitor's demand in Chapter 22?
(a) Spenser will take the case.
(b) They answer that they do not have a construction permit.
(c) Paul will not go.
(d) They turn down the construction job offer.
8. Why does Spenser feel that Paul needs to be away from his parents?
(a) Because the two of them need time to work out their problems.
(b) Because they are harming him; and they have not taught him how to survive.
(c) Because Paul does not want to live with either one of them.
(d) Because they are using him to bait each other, and it is not psychologically or emotionally healthy.
9. In Chapter 24, where do Paul and Spenser go after lunch?
(a) To the museum of natural science.
(b) To a Red Sox game.
(c) To a bar.
(d) To the aquarium.
10. What idea does Patty come up with to solve the problem of Mel's henchmen in Chapter 13?
(a) That Susan adopt Paul.
(b) That Hawk take Paul into hiding.
(c) That Spenser take Paul.
(d) That Paul go to live with his distant great-aunt in Ohio.
11. In Chapter 14, what does Hawk say about Spenser?
(a) That he is unreliable.
(b) That he is reliable.
(c) That he is unpredictable.
(d) That he is predictable.
12. While Spenser and Paul are working in Chapter 22, who goes to the cabin?
13. What does Spenser need to learn more than anything else if he is to survive?
(a) How to make his parents happy.
(b) How to please others.
(c) How to dress.
14. What information did Spenser find out from the person whom he caught in Chapter 24?
(a) That Paul was really the son of a powerful mobster.
(b) That Patty Giacomin was a prostitute.
(c) That Mel Giacomin was an assassin.
(d) That he knew Mel through Harry Cotten.
15. In Chapter 15, Spenser and Paul are discussing Hawk. In that discussion about Hawk, what does Spenser tell Paul that he will help him learn?
(a) The difference between being strong and being strong-minded.
(b) The difference between being weak and being weak-willed.
(c) The difference between being good and being good at something.
(d) The difference between being good and being a good man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spenser's response when Paul asks him why he thinks that Paul's parents say everything is for girls?
2. Where does Spenser catch a ride to in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 15, what does Spenser discover about Paul's strength when they are moving their gear and settling in?
4. Spenser tells Paul that they are building the cabin a simpler, yet less desirable way. Why is the way they are doing it less desirable?
5. The first morning that Paul and Spenser are in the cabin, what does Spenser set out for breakfast?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)