|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
(a) In April.
(b) In October.
(c) In May.
(d) In December.
2. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
(a) A fortune-teller and a bookie.
(b) A pet shop and a dry cleaner.
(c) No one.
(d) A bank and a tailor.
3. What did Paul say about his own father and cooking?
(a) That he never did it, and that he said it was for girls.
(b) That he would like to learn.
(c) That Mel said that he would teach Paul to cook one day.
(d) That Mel cooked all the time.
4. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(a) Paul Giacomin.
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
5. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
(a) "Who would you rather live with, your mother or your father?
(b) "Name's Spenser with an S, like the Poet. I'm in the Boston Book. Under Tough. Heard of me?"
(c) "Smart. I like a man who gets out of a marriage gracefully. Don't you?"
(d) "Package for Ms. Brooks. She 'ere?"
6. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
7. In Chapter 10, Spenser says that he did not mind Patty's idea of fancy cooking; but that there was something that he did mind. What was it?
(a) Not serving beer at dinner.
(b) Not being able to get his runs in regularly.
(c) Paul eating his meals in his room.
(d) A growing sense of intimacy.
8. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
9. Where does the narrator follow the woman to in Chapter 3?
(a) Hawk's gym.
(b) Spenser's office.
(c) Harry Cotton's condominium.
(d) Mel Giacomin's house.
10. How does the narrator get into room 315?
(a) By acting like a cabbie delivering a package.
(b) By posing like a pizza delivery person.
(c) By breaking in.
(d) By knocking on the door.
11. In Chapter 5, what is Patty's first response to Spenser and Paul's entrance?
(a) She throws her arms around Paul and gives him a big hug.
(b) "Oh, Paul, I didn't expect you so soon."
(c) She cries and runs to her son.
(d) "Where were you?"
12. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
(b) Patty Giacomin.
(d) Susan Silverman.
13. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He tells her that it will not work, and that they must think of something else.
(b) He politely declines the job, and gives her the name of an associate more suited for that type of work.
(c) He agrees, but acknowledges that guarding them is only a temporary solution.
(d) He asks her to put him on permanent retainer.
14. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) She begins to cry, and runs out of the kitchen and into her bedroom, slamming the door.
(b) She knocks over her half-full cup of coffee and its saucer off the table and onto the floor; and leaves the kitchen for her bedroom, slamming the door.
(c) She is quiet for some time, and finally acknowledges that he has a point.
(d) Looking into her coffee cup, she says nothing,
15. In what month does the story begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. When they arrive at the house in Chapter 4, how does the passenger enter the house?
2. In what city does this story take place?
3. In Chapter 2, who is the narrator staking out and trying to find?
4. Who are the two men who force their way into Patty's house in Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 4, what reasoning does the narrator give for his career choice?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)