|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) He gets take-out from a Chinese restarurant just down the corner from his office.
(b) He orders out for pizza.
(c) He makes pork chops with pineapple cream sauce, rice, and a salad.
(d) He stops by a deli on his way home and picks up some sandwiches.
2. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
(b) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(c) To go to the police with the story.
(d) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
3. In Chapter 10, what is Paul's response after Patty tells Spenser her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) "Yeah, look where it got you."
(b) "Just because I am a boy I do not have an opinion on the subject."
(c) "You are going through a tough time. But you will not feel that way forever."
(d) "Those are your beliefs, Mom."
4. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He is angry with the idea.
(b) He makes no response.
(c) He is unhappy with the idea.
(d) He is relieved by the idea.
5. What is Patty's reasoning for being married?
(a) To have a father for Paul.
(b) To get power and money.
(c) To have a stable home life.
(d) To keep her from being lonely.
6. Where does the narrator follow the woman to in Chapter 3?
(a) Hawk's gym.
(b) Harry Cotton's condominium.
(c) Spenser's office.
(d) Mel Giacomin's house.
7. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
(b) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(c) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
(d) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
8. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
(b) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
(c) Hamburgers and french fries.
(d) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
9. What does Patty want Spenser to do in Chapter 7?
(a) To deliver a message to Mel.
(b) To help her find her sister.
(c) To retrieve Paul again.
(d) To go to her house in Lexington.
10. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(a) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Paul Giacomin.
11. In Chapter 6, what nagging situation is on Spenser's mind?
(a) He is still worrying about Patty Giacomin.
(b) He is still worrying about Mel Giacomin.
(c) There is not a nagging situation on Spenser's mind in Chapter 6.
(d) He is still worrying about Paul Giacomin.
12. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
(a) Four hours.
(b) About two hours.
(c) All day.
(d) About an hour and fifteen minutes.
13. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
(a) Hawk and Henry.
(b) Spenser and Susan Silverman.
(c) Patty Giacomin and Paul Giacomin.
(d) Mel Giacomin and Elaine Brooks.
14. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) Looking into her coffee cup, she says nothing,
(b) She begins to cry, and runs out of the kitchen and into her bedroom, slamming the door.
(c) She is quiet for some time, and finally acknowledges that he has a point.
(d) She knocks over her half-full cup of coffee and its saucer off the table and onto the floor; and leaves the kitchen for her bedroom, slamming the door.
15. In Chapter 10, Spenser tells Patty that he can put her in touch with the feminist writer, Rachel Wallace. Patty responds that feminist theory is all well and good on paper, but that it is not successful in reality. Spenser asks her what the term, successful means in the "real world"; and Patty's response is:
(a) That women really need self-actualization.
(b) "Women are so boring...I need men."
(c) That there is more to life than being a mother and housewife.
(d) "That we get a lot further batting our eyes and wiggling our butts."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
2. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
3. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
4. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
5. What does Spenser wonder about the female jogger in the beige and blue exercise outfit?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)