|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
2. What did Paul say about his own father and cooking?
(a) That he would like to learn.
(b) That Mel cooked all the time.
(c) That he never did it, and that he said it was for girls.
(d) That Mel said that he would teach Paul to cook one day.
3. In Chapter 10, what is Paul's response after Patty tells Spenser her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) "You are going through a tough time. But you will not feel that way forever."
(b) "Those are your beliefs, Mom."
(c) "Just because I am a boy I do not have an opinion on the subject."
(d) "Yeah, look where it got you."
4. What does Paul ask Spenser about dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) Whether they could go to the Chinese restarurant where he got the take-out.
(b) Whether he cooked the meal.
(c) Where he got the pizza.
(d) Whether he could have the tuna salad sandwich from the deli.
5. In what city does this story take place?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York City.
6. In what month does the story begin?
7. In Chapter 3, what does the man keep calling the narrator?
8. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
(b) Hamburgers and french fries.
(c) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
(d) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
9. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
(a) By breaking in.
(b) By ringing the bell and posing as a messenger.
(c) By knocking on the door and acting like a census taker.
(d) By walking in through the open front door.
10. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
(a) That he needs directions.
(b) That he is looking for her lost cat.
(c) That he is selling magazine subscriptions.
(d) That he is delivering a package from Mr. Giacomin.
11. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
(a) That Spenser move in as their permanent bodyguard.
(b) That Spenser stay the night and protect her and Paul.
(c) That Spenser take Paul out to dinner because she has plans.
(d) That Spenser serve Mel with a restraining order.
12. In Chapter 8, what does Patty inform Spenser in relation to the upcoming weekend?
(a) That Paul has a doctor's appointment.
(b) That Susan is having a grand party at the house.
(c) That he and Paul will be alone because she is going to New York.
(d) That Mel is coming to visit Paul because it is his court-ordered visitation day.
13. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
14. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) Looking into her coffee cup, she says nothing,
(b) She knocks over her half-full cup of coffee and its saucer off the table and onto the floor; and leaves the kitchen for her bedroom, slamming the door.
(c) She is quiet for some time, and finally acknowledges that he has a point.
(d) She begins to cry, and runs out of the kitchen and into her bedroom, slamming the door.
15. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
(a) A bank and a tailor.
(b) No one.
(c) A pet shop and a dry cleaner.
(d) A fortune-teller and a bookie.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
2. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
3. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 8, when Patty and Spenser are talking at the breakfast table, what conclusion does Spenser come to about Patty, Mel, and Paul's relationship?
5. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)