|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
2. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
3. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(b) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(c) Bake a cake together.
(d) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
4. What does Spenser wonder about the female jogger in the beige and blue exercise outfit?
(a) Whether she was wealthy or poor?
(b) Whether she was married or living with someone.
(c) Whether she would jog with him if he were to offer her money and power.
(d) Whether he could ask her for her phone number.
5. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Watch TV.
(b) Build some cabinets for the house.
(c) Stay with a friend.
(d) Build a model sailboat.
6. What did the narrator accomplish by visiting the woman in Chapter 2?
(a) He knows that the missing gold jewelry is not in the woman's house.
(b) He will now be able to identify the woman so that she can follow her better.
(c) Learning what the woman looks like and that she will possibly call the person for whom the narrator is searching.
(d) Knows that the woman now knows that the narrator knows who she is.
7. Who leaves with the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) Paul Giacomin.
(b) Elaine Brooks.
(c) Patty Giacomin.
(d) Mel Giacomin.
8. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
9. When they arrive at the house in Chapter 4, how does the passenger enter the house?
(a) He runs up the front steps and bursts through the door.
(b) He opens the back door and enters without knocking or any type of announcement.
(c) He pulls out his key and unlocks the side entrance to the house.
(d) He barges in the front door and yells, "Hey! I'm home!"
10. Who is Mel Giacomin?
(a) Patty's ex-husband and Paul's father.
(b) Spenser's client.
(c) A hoodlum Spenser knows from the past.
(d) A dentist.
11. In Chapter 3, what does the man keep calling the narrator?
12. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Hamburgers and french fries.
(b) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
(c) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
(d) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
13. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
(a) A bank and a tailor.
(b) A pet shop and a dry cleaner.
(c) A fortune-teller and a bookie.
(d) No one.
14. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
(a) By walking in through the open front door.
(b) By breaking in.
(c) By knocking on the door and acting like a census taker.
(d) By ringing the bell and posing as a messenger.
15. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
(a) He shrugs his shoulders in response to almost every question that he is asked.
(b) He will not talk and blinks alot.
(c) He shakes his head and says that he does not know the answer to every question that he is asked.
(d) He chain smokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
2. In Chapter 2, who is the narrator staking out and trying to find?
3. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
4. What did Paul say about his own father and cooking?
5. After the eviction, what was the narrator's new address?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)