|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
(a) That he is looking for her lost cat.
(b) That he needs directions.
(c) That he is selling magazine subscriptions.
(d) That he is delivering a package from Mr. Giacomin.
2. What is Patty's reasoning for being married?
(a) To have a stable home life.
(b) To have a father for Paul.
(c) To get power and money.
(d) To keep her from being lonely.
3. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Patty inform Spenser in relation to the upcoming weekend?
(a) That Mel is coming to visit Paul because it is his court-ordered visitation day.
(b) That Susan is having a grand party at the house.
(c) That Paul has a doctor's appointment.
(d) That he and Paul will be alone because she is going to New York.
5. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
(b) Susan Silverman.
(c) Patty Giacomin.
6. In Chapter 6, what nagging situation is on Spenser's mind?
(a) He is still worrying about Mel Giacomin.
(b) There is not a nagging situation on Spenser's mind in Chapter 6.
(c) He is still worrying about Patty Giacomin.
(d) He is still worrying about Paul Giacomin.
7. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
(a) "Smart. I like a man who gets out of a marriage gracefully. Don't you?"
(b) "Name's Spenser with an S, like the Poet. I'm in the Boston Book. Under Tough. Heard of me?"
(c) "Who would you rather live with, your mother or your father?
(d) "Package for Ms. Brooks. She 'ere?"
8. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
(a) Spenser and Susan Silverman.
(b) Patty Giacomin and Paul Giacomin.
(c) Mel Giacomin and Elaine Brooks.
(d) Hawk and Henry.
9. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A pair of sneakers.
(c) A fedora.
(d) A silver wine bucket.
10. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He agrees, but acknowledges that guarding them is only a temporary solution.
(b) He politely declines the job, and gives her the name of an associate more suited for that type of work.
(c) He tells her that it will not work, and that they must think of something else.
(d) He asks her to put him on permanent retainer.
11. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Bake a cake together.
(b) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(c) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(d) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
12. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
(a) A red MGB with a gold luggage rack.
(b) A gold LaCrosse.
(c) A black Buick Regal.
(d) A Jaguar ZX2.
13. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Build some cabinets for the house.
(b) Watch TV.
(c) Stay with a friend.
(d) Build a model sailboat.
14. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
(a) Because he is in love with Susan, and because he believes that Paul would think less of him if he were to get involved with Patty.
(b) Because it would be unprofessional and harm his professional reputation.
(c) Because he does not find her attractive.
(d) Because he does not like mixing personal issues with business matters.
15. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
(b) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(c) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
(d) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 10, what is Paul's response after Patty tells Spenser her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
3. Who is the narrator?
4. In Chapter 10, Spenser says that he did not mind Patty's idea of fancy cooking; but that there was something that he did mind. What was it?
5. In what city does this story take place?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)