|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elaine Brooks?
(a) A witness.
(b) Mel Giacomin's girlfriend.
(c) Spenser's receptionist.
(d) Spenser's client.
2. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's muscles?
(a) That they are ugly.
(b) That they are impressive.
(c) That they are wimpy.
(d) That they are fake.
3. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
4. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
(a) A nosy old lady, a card shark, a lawyer, and a bar.
(b) A bookie and a fortune teller.
(c) Brooks Brothers, a bank, Bonwit Teller, Police Headquarters, and an ad agency.
(d) A dancer, a lawyer, a restaurant, and a newspaper agency.
5. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
(a) Stephen Court.
(b) Mel Giacomin.
(c) Susan Silverman.
(d) Harry Cotton.
6. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
(a) He will not talk and blinks alot.
(b) He chain smokes.
(c) He shakes his head and says that he does not know the answer to every question that he is asked.
(d) He shrugs his shoulders in response to almost every question that he is asked.
7. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Bake a cake together.
(b) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(c) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
(d) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
8. Who is Mel Giacomin?
(a) A hoodlum Spenser knows from the past.
(b) A dentist.
(c) Spenser's client.
(d) Patty's ex-husband and Paul's father.
9. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
(a) A red MGB with a gold luggage rack.
(b) A gold LaCrosse.
(c) A black Buick Regal.
(d) A Jaguar ZX2.
10. What is Patty's reasoning for being married?
(a) To have a father for Paul.
(b) To keep her from being lonely.
(c) To have a stable home life.
(d) To get power and money.
11. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(a) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(d) Paul Giacomin.
12. What does Paul ask Spenser about dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) Where he got the pizza.
(b) Whether he could have the tuna salad sandwich from the deli.
(c) Whether he cooked the meal.
(d) Whether they could go to the Chinese restarurant where he got the take-out.
13. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) He orders out for pizza.
(b) He stops by a deli on his way home and picks up some sandwiches.
(c) He gets take-out from a Chinese restarurant just down the corner from his office.
(d) He makes pork chops with pineapple cream sauce, rice, and a salad.
14. In Chapter 11, one of the men says something about Spenser and guns. What is it?
(a) That Spenser could not hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun full of bird shot.
(b) That Spenser has had a bad history with guns, and that he should stay away from them.
(c) That Spenser never carries a gun.
(d) That Spenser never was a shooter, and that is what is wrong with him.
15. What did the narrator accomplish by visiting the woman in Chapter 2?
(a) Learning what the woman looks like and that she will possibly call the person for whom the narrator is searching.
(b) Knows that the woman now knows that the narrator knows who she is.
(c) He will now be able to identify the woman so that she can follow her better.
(d) He knows that the missing gold jewelry is not in the woman's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, after the narrator enters the house and confronts the two people inside, how do the people react?
2. How does the narrator get into room 315?
3. What did Paul say about his own father and cooking?
4. In Chapter 10, what is Paul's response after Patty tells Spenser her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
5. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)