|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
(a) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
(b) A Distant Mirror.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(d) Of Mice and Men.
2. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
(a) That Spenser take Paul out to dinner because she has plans.
(b) That Spenser stay the night and protect her and Paul.
(c) That Spenser serve Mel with a restraining order.
(d) That Spenser move in as their permanent bodyguard.
3. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
(a) By walking in through the open front door.
(b) By ringing the bell and posing as a messenger.
(c) By knocking on the door and acting like a census taker.
(d) By breaking in.
4. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's muscles?
(a) That they are fake.
(b) That they are wimpy.
(c) That they are ugly.
(d) That they are impressive.
5. In Chapter 8, what does Patty inform Spenser in relation to the upcoming weekend?
(a) That Mel is coming to visit Paul because it is his court-ordered visitation day.
(b) That Paul has a doctor's appointment.
(c) That he and Paul will be alone because she is going to New York.
(d) That Susan is having a grand party at the house.
6. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
7. What happens to the Giacomin house two days following the argument about the role of the modern women?
(a) Patty apologizes to Spenser and asks him to leave.
(b) Some men come to kidnap Paul.
(c) Patty gets angry at Spenser and demands that he leave the house.
(d) Paul tries to run away.
8. In what month does the story begin?
9. In Chapter 10, what is Paul's response after Patty tells Spenser her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) "Those are your beliefs, Mom."
(b) "You are going through a tough time. But you will not feel that way forever."
(c) "Yeah, look where it got you."
(d) "Just because I am a boy I do not have an opinion on the subject."
10. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
(a) He will not talk and blinks alot.
(b) He shrugs his shoulders in response to almost every question that he is asked.
(c) He shakes his head and says that he does not know the answer to every question that he is asked.
(d) He chain smokes.
11. Who leaves with the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) Mel Giacomin.
(b) Patty Giacomin.
(c) Elaine Brooks.
(d) Paul Giacomin.
12. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
13. In Chapter 3, what does the man keep calling the narrator?
14. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
(a) Four hours.
(b) About two hours.
(c) All day.
(d) About an hour and fifteen minutes.
15. What is Patty's reasoning for being married?
(a) To have a father for Paul.
(b) To keep her from being lonely.
(c) To get power and money.
(d) To have a stable home life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elaine Brooks?
2. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
3. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
4. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)