|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Stay with a friend.
(b) Build a model sailboat.
(c) Build some cabinets for the house.
(d) Watch TV.
2. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He is unhappy with the idea.
(b) He is relieved by the idea.
(c) He makes no response.
(d) He is angry with the idea.
3. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) Susan Silverman.
(b) Patty Giacomin.
4. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
(a) A pair of sneakers.
(b) A fedora.
(c) A silver wine bucket.
(d) A gold watch.
5. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
6. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
(a) She tells him that she understands and that there are not any hard feelings.
(b) She gets angry and demands that he leave her house.
(c) She storms off to her room and starts breaking things.
(d) She insults herself and him, and then breaks down crying.
7. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
(a) In October.
(b) In December.
(c) In April.
(d) In May.
8. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
(a) Mel Giacomin.
(b) Stephen Court.
(c) Susan Silverman.
(d) Harry Cotton.
9. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
(a) "Smart. I like a man who gets out of a marriage gracefully. Don't you?"
(b) "Name's Spenser with an S, like the Poet. I'm in the Boston Book. Under Tough. Heard of me?"
(c) "Package for Ms. Brooks. She 'ere?"
(d) "Who would you rather live with, your mother or your father?
10. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To go to the police with the story.
(b) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
(c) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(d) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
11. What is the setting of the first paragraph of Chapter 6?
(a) Lexington, Massachusetts.
(b) Times Square.
(c) Soldier Field.
(d) Madison Square Garden.
12. How does the narrator get into room 315?
(a) By acting like a cabbie delivering a package.
(b) By posing like a pizza delivery person.
(c) By knocking on the door.
(d) By breaking in.
13. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
(a) Because he does not find her attractive.
(b) Because he is in love with Susan, and because he believes that Paul would think less of him if he were to get involved with Patty.
(c) Because he does not like mixing personal issues with business matters.
(d) Because it would be unprofessional and harm his professional reputation.
14. Where does the narrator follow the woman to in Chapter 3?
(a) Mel Giacomin's house.
(b) Hawk's gym.
(c) Spenser's office.
(d) Harry Cotton's condominium.
15. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
2. What does Paul ask Spenser about dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
3. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
4. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
5. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)