|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
(a) He will not talk and blinks alot.
(b) He shakes his head and says that he does not know the answer to every question that he is asked.
(c) He chain smokes.
(d) He shrugs his shoulders in response to almost every question that he is asked.
2. What does Patty want Spenser to do in Chapter 7?
(a) To deliver a message to Mel.
(b) To help her find her sister.
(c) To retrieve Paul again.
(d) To go to her house in Lexington.
3. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He is unhappy with the idea.
(b) He is angry with the idea.
(c) He is relieved by the idea.
(d) He makes no response.
4. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(a) Paul Giacomin.
(b) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
(c) Buddy Hartman.
5. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
(a) "Smart. I like a man who gets out of a marriage gracefully. Don't you?"
(b) "Who would you rather live with, your mother or your father?
(c) "Name's Spenser with an S, like the Poet. I'm in the Boston Book. Under Tough. Heard of me?"
(d) "Package for Ms. Brooks. She 'ere?"
6. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
(a) Four hours.
(b) All day.
(c) About two hours.
(d) About an hour and fifteen minutes.
7. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
(a) That Spenser serve Mel with a restraining order.
(b) That Spenser take Paul out to dinner because she has plans.
(c) That Spenser stay the night and protect her and Paul.
(d) That Spenser move in as their permanent bodyguard.
8. In Chapter 2, who is the narrator staking out and trying to find?
(a) Harry Cotton.
(c) Mel Giacomin.
(d) Susan Silverman.
9. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
10. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
(a) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
(b) A Distant Mirror.
(c) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(d) Of Mice and Men.
11. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
12. After the eviction, what was the narrator's new address?
(a) Speer and I-25.
(b) Berkley and Height Ashbury.
(c) Boylston Street and the corner of Berkley.
(d) It was the same as the previous address.
13. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Stay with a friend.
(b) Build some cabinets for the house.
(c) Build a model sailboat.
(d) Watch TV.
14. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
(b) Hamburgers and french fries.
(c) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
(d) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
15. What did the narrator accomplish by visiting the woman in Chapter 2?
(a) He knows that the missing gold jewelry is not in the woman's house.
(b) Knows that the woman now knows that the narrator knows who she is.
(c) Learning what the woman looks like and that she will possibly call the person for whom the narrator is searching.
(d) He will now be able to identify the woman so that she can follow her better.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
2. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
4. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
5. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)