|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
(a) In December.
(b) In May.
(c) In October.
(d) In April.
2. In Chapter 5, what is Patty's first response to Spenser and Paul's entrance?
(a) She cries and runs to her son.
(b) "Oh, Paul, I didn't expect you so soon."
(c) She throws her arms around Paul and gives him a big hug.
(d) "Where were you?"
3. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
(a) All day.
(b) About an hour and fifteen minutes.
(c) About two hours.
(d) Four hours.
5. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
(a) A fedora.
(b) A silver wine bucket.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A pair of sneakers.
6. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Go to his office and check his messages.
(c) Take a walk.
(d) Go out for a run.
7. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
(a) "Who would you rather live with, your mother or your father?
(b) "Name's Spenser with an S, like the Poet. I'm in the Boston Book. Under Tough. Heard of me?"
(c) "Package for Ms. Brooks. She 'ere?"
(d) "Smart. I like a man who gets out of a marriage gracefully. Don't you?"
8. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
9. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
(a) She tells him that she understands and that there are not any hard feelings.
(b) She insults herself and him, and then breaks down crying.
(c) She storms off to her room and starts breaking things.
(d) She gets angry and demands that he leave her house.
10. What happens to the Giacomin house two days following the argument about the role of the modern women?
(a) Paul tries to run away.
(b) Patty apologizes to Spenser and asks him to leave.
(c) Patty gets angry at Spenser and demands that he leave the house.
(d) Some men come to kidnap Paul.
11. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(b) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
(c) Bake a cake together.
(d) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
12. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
(b) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
(c) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(d) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
13. Who is Elaine Brooks?
(a) Mel Giacomin's girlfriend.
(b) Spenser's receptionist.
(c) Spenser's client.
(d) A witness.
14. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
15. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He is unhappy with the idea.
(b) He makes no response.
(c) He is relieved by the idea.
(d) He is angry with the idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
2. Who are the two men who force their way into Patty's house in Chapter 11?
3. Who is the narrator?
4. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
5. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's profession?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)