|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what nagging situation is on Spenser's mind?
(a) There is not a nagging situation on Spenser's mind in Chapter 6.
(b) He is still worrying about Paul Giacomin.
(c) He is still worrying about Mel Giacomin.
(d) He is still worrying about Patty Giacomin.
2. Who are the two men who force their way into Patty's house in Chapter 11?
(a) Buddy and Harold.
(b) Hawk and Harry.
(c) Henry and Harry.
(d) Spenser and Buddy.
3. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(b) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
(c) To go to the police with the story.
(d) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
5. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
(a) Go out for a run.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Take a walk.
(d) Go to his office and check his messages.
6. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
(a) A pair of sneakers.
(b) A fedora.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A silver wine bucket.
7. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
(a) She storms off to her room and starts breaking things.
(b) She insults herself and him, and then breaks down crying.
(c) She tells him that she understands and that there are not any hard feelings.
(d) She gets angry and demands that he leave her house.
8. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
(b) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
(c) Hamburgers and french fries.
(d) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
9. In Chapter 4, what reasoning does the narrator give for his career choice?
(a) "I used to be a singer, until I popped my vocal chord."
(b) "It lets me live life on my own terms."
(c) "All the good acting roles were taken."
(d) "I couldn't finish medical school."
10. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
(b) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
(c) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
(d) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
11. In Chapter 8, when Patty and Spenser are talking at the breakfast table, what conclusion does Spenser come to about Patty, Mel, and Paul's relationship?
(a) That they could really be a happy family if they all tried a little harder.
(b) That Paul is a trophy that Mel and Patty fight over to hurt each other; and that neither really care about Paul's well-being.
(c) That the three of them should go to counseling and work out their issues.
(d) That the divorce really was the most healthy outcome for the family.
12. What did the narrator accomplish by visiting the woman in Chapter 2?
(a) Learning what the woman looks like and that she will possibly call the person for whom the narrator is searching.
(b) He will now be able to identify the woman so that she can follow her better.
(c) Knows that the woman now knows that the narrator knows who she is.
(d) He knows that the missing gold jewelry is not in the woman's house.
13. What is the setting of the first paragraph of Chapter 6?
(a) Times Square.
(b) Madison Square Garden.
(c) Lexington, Massachusetts.
(d) Soldier Field.
14. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
15. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
(b) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(c) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(d) Bake a cake together.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
2. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
3. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
4. In what city does this story take place?
5. Who is the narrator?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)