Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they arrive at the house in Chapter 4, how does the passenger enter the house?
(a) He pulls out his key and unlocks the side entrance to the house.
(b) He runs up the front steps and bursts through the door.
(c) He opens the back door and enters without knocking or any type of announcement.
(d) He barges in the front door and yells, "Hey! I'm home!"
2. How does the narrator get into room 315?
(a) By posing like a pizza delivery person.
(b) By breaking in.
(c) By acting like a cabbie delivering a package.
(d) By knocking on the door.
3. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) She knocks over her half-full cup of coffee and its saucer off the table and onto the floor; and leaves the kitchen for her bedroom, slamming the door.
(b) She begins to cry, and runs out of the kitchen and into her bedroom, slamming the door.
(c) She is quiet for some time, and finally acknowledges that he has a point.
(d) Looking into her coffee cup, she says nothing,
4. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
(b) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(c) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(d) Bake a cake together.
6. In Chapter 3, after the narrator enters the house and confronts the two people inside, how do the people react?
(a) They are surprised.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are relieved.
(d) They are excited.
7. What does Spenser wonder about the female jogger in the beige and blue exercise outfit?
(a) Whether he could ask her for her phone number.
(b) Whether she was married or living with someone.
(c) Whether she was wealthy or poor?
(d) Whether she would jog with him if he were to offer her money and power.
8. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(a) Buddy Hartman.
(b) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
(c) Paul Giacomin.
9. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
10. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
(a) That he is looking for her lost cat.
(b) That he needs directions.
(c) That he is selling magazine subscriptions.
(d) That he is delivering a package from Mr. Giacomin.
11. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
(a) He shrugs his shoulders in response to almost every question that he is asked.
(b) He chain smokes.
(c) He will not talk and blinks alot.
(d) He shakes his head and says that he does not know the answer to every question that he is asked.
12. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
13. In Chapter 10, Spenser tells Patty that he can put her in touch with the feminist writer, Rachel Wallace. Patty responds that feminist theory is all well and good on paper, but that it is not successful in reality. Spenser asks her what the term, successful means in the "real world"; and Patty's response is:
(a) "That we get a lot further batting our eyes and wiggling our butts."
(b) That women really need self-actualization.
(c) "Women are so boring...I need men."
(d) That there is more to life than being a mother and housewife.
14. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) He orders out for pizza.
(b) He gets take-out from a Chinese restarurant just down the corner from his office.
(c) He stops by a deli on his way home and picks up some sandwiches.
(d) He makes pork chops with pineapple cream sauce, rice, and a salad.
15. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
(b) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
(c) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
(d) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
2. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Elaine Brooks?
4. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
5. Besides the narrator, who else was evicted from the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)