|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
2. In Chapter 8, when Patty and Spenser are talking at the breakfast table, what conclusion does Spenser come to about Patty, Mel, and Paul's relationship?
(a) That the divorce really was the most healthy outcome for the family.
(b) That the three of them should go to counseling and work out their issues.
(c) That they could really be a happy family if they all tried a little harder.
(d) That Paul is a trophy that Mel and Patty fight over to hurt each other; and that neither really care about Paul's well-being.
3. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Spenser do after breakfast?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Go to his office and check his messages.
(c) Go out for a run.
(d) Take a walk.
5. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
(b) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
(c) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
(d) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
6. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He is unhappy with the idea.
(b) He is relieved by the idea.
(c) He is angry with the idea.
(d) He makes no response.
7. What is the setting of the first paragraph of Chapter 6?
(a) Times Square.
(b) Lexington, Massachusetts.
(c) Soldier Field.
(d) Madison Square Garden.
8. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
(a) A dancer, a lawyer, a restaurant, and a newspaper agency.
(b) A bookie and a fortune teller.
(c) Brooks Brothers, a bank, Bonwit Teller, Police Headquarters, and an ad agency.
(d) A nosy old lady, a card shark, a lawyer, and a bar.
9. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's muscles?
(a) That they are wimpy.
(b) That they are ugly.
(c) That they are fake.
(d) That they are impressive.
10. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(b) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
(c) To go to the police with the story.
(d) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
11. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
(b) Hamburgers and french fries.
(c) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
(d) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
12. What habit does the passenger have that drives the narrator absolutely crazy during their car ride in Chapter 4?
(a) He will not talk and blinks alot.
(b) He shakes his head and says that he does not know the answer to every question that he is asked.
(c) He shrugs his shoulders in response to almost every question that he is asked.
(d) He chain smokes.
13. What did Paul say about his own father and cooking?
(a) That Mel said that he would teach Paul to cook one day.
(b) That he never did it, and that he said it was for girls.
(c) That Mel cooked all the time.
(d) That he would like to learn.
14. In Chapter 8, what does Patty inform Spenser in relation to the upcoming weekend?
(a) That he and Paul will be alone because she is going to New York.
(b) That Paul has a doctor's appointment.
(c) That Susan is having a grand party at the house.
(d) That Mel is coming to visit Paul because it is his court-ordered visitation day.
15. What happens to the Giacomin house two days following the argument about the role of the modern women?
(a) Paul tries to run away.
(b) Patty gets angry at Spenser and demands that he leave the house.
(c) Some men come to kidnap Paul.
(d) Patty apologizes to Spenser and asks him to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator?
2. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
3. Who is the tall man with the boot camp crew-cut and a navy watch cap who entered Patty's house?
4. Who leaves with the narrator in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)