|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, after the narrator enters the house and confronts the two people inside, how do the people react?
(a) They are excited.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are relieved.
(d) They are surprised.
2. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
(a) A silver wine bucket.
(b) A fedora.
(c) A pair of sneakers.
(d) A gold watch.
3. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
4. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
(a) Brooks Brothers, a bank, Bonwit Teller, Police Headquarters, and an ad agency.
(b) A dancer, a lawyer, a restaurant, and a newspaper agency.
(c) A nosy old lady, a card shark, a lawyer, and a bar.
(d) A bookie and a fortune teller.
5. In Chapter 10, what does Patty do in response to Paul's comments about her thoughts on the reality of modern women?
(a) Looking into her coffee cup, she says nothing,
(b) She is quiet for some time, and finally acknowledges that he has a point.
(c) She begins to cry, and runs out of the kitchen and into her bedroom, slamming the door.
(d) She knocks over her half-full cup of coffee and its saucer off the table and onto the floor; and leaves the kitchen for her bedroom, slamming the door.
6. In what city does this story take place?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York City.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where is the narrator sitting?
(a) The narrator's office.
(b) At police headquarters.
(c) At the counter of a Dunkin' Donuts.
(d) Outside an apartment building on Hammond Pond Parkway in Chestnut Hill.
8. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
(a) A Jaguar ZX2.
(b) A gold LaCrosse.
(c) A red MGB with a gold luggage rack.
(d) A black Buick Regal.
9. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Build some cabinets for the house.
(b) Stay with a friend.
(c) Watch TV.
(d) Build a model sailboat.
10. What does Patty want Spenser to do in Chapter 7?
(a) To go to her house in Lexington.
(b) To retrieve Paul again.
(c) To deliver a message to Mel.
(d) To help her find her sister.
11. Where does the narrator follow the woman to in Chapter 3?
(a) Harry Cotton's condominium.
(b) Mel Giacomin's house.
(c) Hawk's gym.
(d) Spenser's office.
12. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
(b) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
(c) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(d) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
13. What does Paul ask Spenser about dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) Whether he cooked the meal.
(b) Whether they could go to the Chinese restarurant where he got the take-out.
(c) Whether he could have the tuna salad sandwich from the deli.
(d) Where he got the pizza.
14. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
(a) Whether he had decided if he would stay with them and take the job or not.
(b) Whether he was lonely.
(c) Whether he wanted lunch.
(d) Whether he was married.
15. Which one of the men who enter Patty's house in Chapter 11 does Spenser know?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does the man keep calling the narrator?
2. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
3. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
4. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
5. Who is Mel Giacomin?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)