|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(b) Bake a cake together.
(c) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
(d) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
2. Who is the narrator?
(a) Patty and Susan.
(b) Mr. Spenser.
(c) Hawkeye Anderson.
(d) Paul Warsol.
3. Who is the short, dumpy, barrel-bodied man with the ugly wig and an auburn Dynel ski cap who entered Patty's house?
4. In Chapter 3, what does the man keep calling the narrator?
5. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's profession?
(a) That it is very interesting.
(b) That it is totally great.
(c) That it is a rotten occupation.
(d) That it is awfully gross.
6. In what city does this story take place?
(a) New York City.
(b) Los Angeles.
7. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
(a) A Jaguar ZX2.
(b) A gold LaCrosse.
(c) A red MGB with a gold luggage rack.
(d) A black Buick Regal.
8. Why does Spenser not want a personal relationship with Patty?
(a) Because he is in love with Susan, and because he believes that Paul would think less of him if he were to get involved with Patty.
(b) Because he does not like mixing personal issues with business matters.
(c) Because it would be unprofessional and harm his professional reputation.
(d) Because he does not find her attractive.
9. In Chapter 4, what reasoning does the narrator give for his career choice?
(a) "All the good acting roles were taken."
(b) "I couldn't finish medical school."
(c) "I used to be a singer, until I popped my vocal chord."
(d) "It lets me live life on my own terms."
10. What happens to the Giacomin house two days following the argument about the role of the modern women?
(a) Some men come to kidnap Paul.
(b) Paul tries to run away.
(c) Patty gets angry at Spenser and demands that he leave the house.
(d) Patty apologizes to Spenser and asks him to leave.
11. In Chapter 3, after the narrator enters the house and confronts the two people inside, how do the people react?
(a) They are excited.
(b) They are surprised.
(c) They are happy.
(d) They are relieved.
12. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(b) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
(c) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
(d) To go to the police with the story.
13. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's muscles?
(a) That they are wimpy.
(b) That they are fake.
(c) That they are impressive.
(d) That they are ugly.
14. In Chapter 5, what is Patty's first response to Spenser and Paul's entrance?
(a) "Oh, Paul, I didn't expect you so soon."
(b) "Where were you?"
(c) She cries and runs to her son.
(d) She throws her arms around Paul and gives him a big hug.
15. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
(a) Brooks Brothers, a bank, Bonwit Teller, Police Headquarters, and an ad agency.
(b) A dancer, a lawyer, a restaurant, and a newspaper agency.
(c) A bookie and a fortune teller.
(d) A nosy old lady, a card shark, a lawyer, and a bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
2. Who is Elaine Brooks?
3. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
4. What does the narrator buy at Bloomingdale's?
5. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)