|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To go to the police with the story.
(b) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
(c) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(d) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
2. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
(b) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
(c) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(d) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
3. In Chapter 7, what do Patty, Paul, and Spenser have for dinner?
(a) Steak, peas, and baked potato.
(b) Hamburgers and french fries.
(c) Cold tuna sandwiches on rye bread.
(d) Hot dogs with macarooni and cheese.
4. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(b) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
(c) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(d) Bake a cake together.
5. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
(a) Brooks Brothers, a bank, Bonwit Teller, Police Headquarters, and an ad agency.
(b) A nosy old lady, a card shark, a lawyer, and a bar.
(c) A dancer, a lawyer, a restaurant, and a newspaper agency.
(d) A bookie and a fortune teller.
6. Who are the two men who force their way into Patty's house in Chapter 11?
(a) Hawk and Harry.
(b) Henry and Harry.
(c) Buddy and Harold.
(d) Spenser and Buddy.
7. In Chapter 8, how long was the time period that Spenser was gone following breakfast?
(a) About an hour and fifteen minutes.
(b) About two hours.
(c) All day.
(d) Four hours.
8. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's profession?
(a) That it is a rotten occupation.
(b) That it is totally great.
(c) That it is very interesting.
(d) That it is awfully gross.
9. In Chapter 8, what does Patty inform Spenser in relation to the upcoming weekend?
(a) That Paul has a doctor's appointment.
(b) That Susan is having a grand party at the house.
(c) That Mel is coming to visit Paul because it is his court-ordered visitation day.
(d) That he and Paul will be alone because she is going to New York.
10. What happens to the Giacomin house two days following the argument about the role of the modern women?
(a) Some men come to kidnap Paul.
(b) Patty apologizes to Spenser and asks him to leave.
(c) Patty gets angry at Spenser and demands that he leave the house.
(d) Paul tries to run away.
11. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Paul do?
(a) Build a model sailboat.
(b) Watch TV.
(c) Stay with a friend.
(d) Build some cabinets for the house.
12. What is the first question that the narrator asks the passenger in Chapter 4 after leaving the house?
(a) "Smart. I like a man who gets out of a marriage gracefully. Don't you?"
(b) "Package for Ms. Brooks. She 'ere?"
(c) "Name's Spenser with an S, like the Poet. I'm in the Boston Book. Under Tough. Heard of me?"
(d) "Who would you rather live with, your mother or your father?
13. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
(b) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
(c) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
(d) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
14. Who is Elaine Brooks?
(a) Spenser's receptionist.
(b) A witness.
(c) Spenser's client.
(d) Mel Giacomin's girlfriend.
15. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
(a) That Spenser take Paul out to dinner because she has plans.
(b) That Spenser stay the night and protect her and Paul.
(c) That Spenser serve Mel with a restraining order.
(d) That Spenser move in as their permanent bodyguard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was at home with Patty when Spenser and Paul arrived in Chapter 5?
2. In what city does this story take place?
3. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
4. When Patty leaves for New York, what does Spenser do?
5. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)