|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Spenser tells Patty that he can put her in touch with the feminist writer, Rachel Wallace. Patty responds that feminist theory is all well and good on paper, but that it is not successful in reality. Spenser asks her what the term, successful means in the "real world"; and Patty's response is:
(a) That there is more to life than being a mother and housewife.
(b) That women really need self-actualization.
(c) "Women are so boring...I need men."
(d) "That we get a lot further batting our eyes and wiggling our butts."
2. Who were some of the narrator's new neighbors?
(a) Brooks Brothers, a bank, Bonwit Teller, Police Headquarters, and an ad agency.
(b) A nosy old lady, a card shark, a lawyer, and a bar.
(c) A dancer, a lawyer, a restaurant, and a newspaper agency.
(d) A bookie and a fortune teller.
3. What is the setting of the first paragraph of Chapter 6?
(a) Madison Square Garden.
(b) Lexington, Massachusetts.
(c) Soldier Field.
(d) Times Square.
4. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
(a) Bake a cake together.
(b) Go to a nearby diner for pie.
(c) Buy some cookies at the corner store.
(d) Go to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream.
5. Who is Mel Giacomin?
(a) Spenser's client.
(b) A hoodlum Spenser knows from the past.
(c) A dentist.
(d) Patty's ex-husband and Paul's father.
6. What does the narrator say to the woman who answers the door in Chapter 2?
(a) That he needs directions.
(b) That he is looking for her lost cat.
(c) That he is delivering a package from Mr. Giacomin.
(d) That he is selling magazine subscriptions.
7. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
(a) He gets take-out from a Chinese restarurant just down the corner from his office.
(b) He stops by a deli on his way home and picks up some sandwiches.
(c) He makes pork chops with pineapple cream sauce, rice, and a salad.
(d) He orders out for pizza.
8. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
(a) A Jaguar ZX2.
(b) A gold LaCrosse.
(c) A black Buick Regal.
(d) A red MGB with a gold luggage rack.
9. In Chapter 7, what is Patty's "plan" for Spenser?
(a) To go and threaten her ex-husband.
(b) To go to the police with the story.
(c) To stay with her and Paul; to be their protector.
(d) To go and beat up her ex-husband.
10. Who is inside the building that the narrator enters in Chapter 3?
(a) Spenser and Susan Silverman.
(b) Hawk and Henry.
(c) Patty Giacomin and Paul Giacomin.
(d) Mel Giacomin and Elaine Brooks.
11. In Chapter 4, what does the passenger say about the narrator's profession?
(a) That it is totally great.
(b) That it is a rotten occupation.
(c) That it is very interesting.
(d) That it is awfully gross.
12. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(b) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Paul Giacomin.
(d) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
13. What book is Spenser reading in Chapter 7?
(a) Of Mice and Men.
(b) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(c) A Distant Mirror.
(d) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
14. In Chapter 10, Spenser says that he did not mind Patty's idea of fancy cooking; but that there was something that he did mind. What was it?
(a) A growing sense of intimacy.
(b) Paul eating his meals in his room.
(c) Not being able to get his runs in regularly.
(d) Not serving beer at dinner.
15. When Spenser tells Patty that he does not want a personal relationship with her, what is her reaction?
(a) She tells him that she understands and that there are not any hard feelings.
(b) She gets angry and demands that he leave her house.
(c) She insults herself and him, and then breaks down crying.
(d) She storms off to her room and starts breaking things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Spenser call on to help him during the hostage situation in Chapter 12?
2. What is Spenser's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
4. What favor does Patty ask of Spenser in Chapter 5?
5. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)