|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Elaine Brooks drive?
(a) A Jaguar ZX2.
(b) A gold LaCrosse.
(c) A red MGB with a gold luggage rack.
(d) A black Buick Regal.
2. What is Paul's response to Patty's "plan" in Chapter 7?
(a) He makes no response.
(b) He is angry with the idea.
(c) He is relieved by the idea.
(d) He is unhappy with the idea.
3. In Chapter 7, what does Patty tell Spenser has happened to Paul?
(a) That the person whom she hired to babysit Paul while she was out, turned out to be one of Mel's henchmen who tried to kidnap Paul.
(b) That a strange man approached Paul on his way home from school, and told him that his father wanted to see him. When Paul would not go with him, the man got out of his car and started to chase him.
(c) That his father came to Paul's school and tried to take him out of class.
(d) That Paul tried to run away to his father's house.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, where is the narrator sitting?
(a) At police headquarters.
(b) At the counter of a Dunkin' Donuts.
(c) The narrator's office.
(d) Outside an apartment building on Hammond Pond Parkway in Chestnut Hill.
5. Who hires the narrator in Chapter 1?
(b) Patty Giacomin.
(c) Susan Silverman.
6. After solving the kidnapping case, when does Spenser hear from Patty again?
(a) In October.
(b) In April.
(c) In May.
(d) In December.
7. In Chapter 10, what does Patty ask Spenser when he returns from dropping Paul off at school?
(a) Whether he would like to move in permanently.
(b) Whether he thought that she and Mel should get back together.
(c) Whether he likes the peignoir that she is wearing.
(d) Whether he would go with her to the grocery store for a few items.
8. In Chapter 3, who else is in the house besides the narrator and the two people in the living room?
(a) Buddy Hartman.
(c) Mel Giacomin's cleaning lady.
(d) Paul Giacomin.
9. What is the narrator hired to do in Chapter 1?
(a) Help the client find out about a blackmailer.
(b) Find the client's son and bring him back home.
(c) Locate the client's missing dog, a championship-winning fox terrier.
(d) Investigate the client's spouse.
10. In Chapter 10, Spenser says that he did not mind Patty's idea of fancy cooking; but that there was something that he did mind. What was it?
(a) A growing sense of intimacy.
(b) Not being able to get his runs in regularly.
(c) Paul eating his meals in his room.
(d) Not serving beer at dinner.
11. What new character is introduced in Chapter 6?
12. In Chapter 5, what is Patty's first response to Spenser and Paul's entrance?
(a) She cries and runs to her son.
(b) "Where were you?"
(c) She throws her arms around Paul and gives him a big hug.
(d) "Oh, Paul, I didn't expect you so soon."
13. After the eviction, what was the narrator's new address?
(a) It was the same as the previous address.
(b) Berkley and Height Ashbury.
(c) Boylston Street and the corner of Berkley.
(d) Speer and I-25.
14. How does the narrator enter the building in Chapter 3?
(a) By knocking on the door and acting like a census taker.
(b) By breaking in.
(c) By walking in through the open front door.
(d) By ringing the bell and posing as a messenger.
15. What does Patty want Spenser to do in Chapter 7?
(a) To deliver a message to Mel.
(b) To help her find her sister.
(c) To retrieve Paul again.
(d) To go to her house in Lexington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elaine Brooks?
2. In Chapter 8, when he returned after his respite after breakfast, what does Patty ask him?
3. In Chapter 11, one of the men says something about Spenser and guns. What is it?
4. In Chapter 9, what do Paul and Spenser decide to do for dessert?
5. What does Spenser do for dinner the first night that Patty is away in New York?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)