Chapters 1 through 6
• Chapter 1:
• The narrator, Spenser, is a private detective in Boston.
• Spenser is hired by Patty Giacomin to find her missing son, Paul.
• Patty believes that her ex-husband, Mel, has kidnapped Paul.
• Chapter 2:
• Spenser begins looking for Paul by locating Mel's girlfriend, Elaine Brooks.
• Spenser sits outside of Elaine's house hoping to see her, Mel, or Paul.
• Spenser gets tired of waiting and rings Elaine's doorbell to find out whether she is home; she is.
• Spenser buys a fancy bucket and poses as a cabbie delivering the gift from Mel; Spenser hopes that this will make her and Mel get together so that he can find Paul.
• Chapter 3:
• Elaine leads Spenser to Mel.
• Spenser finds that Paul is with Mel at his house.
• Chapter 4:
• Spenser takes Paul back home to his mother.
• On the way to Patty's house, Spenser tries to find out who Paul would like...
This section contains 2,356 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)