|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esca tells Marcus that he told the man who bought their horses that they were sired from whose stables?
2. What color is the harebell that Marcus observes in Chapter 18?
3. What is the name of Marcus's mare that he takes on his mission?
4. What is the name of the Chieftan's maternal grandfather in Chapter 14?
5. What is Esca's full name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Guern's appearance described when he is introduced?
2. How is the character of Dergdian described?
3. How has Cub changed when Marcus returns in Chapter 20?
4. Why does the song sung by Guern catch Marcus's attention?
5. How and where is the Roman Eagle revealed in Chapter 14?
6. What exchanges does Esca make in Cluta in Chapter 17? Why?
7. How do Marcus and Esca gain entrance to the gate of Borcovicus?
8. Where do Esca and Marcus hide the Eagle in Chapter 16? Why?
9. Where is Valentia? How large was this province of Roman Britain?
10. Why does Marcus create an altar in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Tribune Placidus in The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does Marcus encounter Placidus? In what ways are the two men similar? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
What superstition and fear is related regarding the Ninth Legion? What happened to the Ninth Legion? How does Marcus discover this information? What does this information mean to Marcus?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does the exposition transition into the rising action of the story? Where does the climax take place? What are the tone and mood of the falling action and denouement?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)