|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Cub so thin?
2. What do they see near Trinomontium?
3. How do Marcus and Esca elude the riders?
4. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
5. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcus figure out who Guern might be?
2. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
3. What does Guern do to help Marcus and Esca when they're running from the tribes?
4. Why did Marcus and Esca hope to find the holy place? Who accidentally helped them and why?
5. What happens to Marcus and Esca when the tribesmen catch them after they leave, having stolen the Eagle?
6. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
7. Why is Esca particularly valuable to the two for selling the horses and how does Marcus use that?
8. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
9. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
10. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as Esca and Cub are loyal to Marcus, the Centurion is loyal to the Legion and to the memory of his father. Marcus is almost certain that the Hispana under his father's leadership would have fought bravely. He longs to avenge his father's honor and learn the circumstances of the deadly ambush that must surely have felled such a powerful force so far from home.
Write a short essay about one of your parents or an adult relative or friend that you admire. Do you think you will have similar values when you are an adult? What do you admire about this person? What do they do that makes you see them as special?
Essay Topic 2
Describe from beginning to end, as Guern related it, what happened to the Ninth Legion. Include your opinion on: Who was responsible? Who commanded it? What was the ultimate fate?
Essay Topic 3
Esca proves his loyalty to Marcus by offering to die in his place. Esca is a member of the Painted People, enemies of the Roman Legions. His entire family was killed fighting for their freedom against the Roman Empire. Yet, Esca has found in Marcus, a young Roman Centurion, the closest friendship. His love and loyalty for Marcus are so great that Esca is willing to abandon the remnants of his clan and die for Marcus. Again, Sutcliff uses Esca's plight to suggest that the under classes were born to sacrifice themselves on behalf of the rulers, in Britain as well as in the Roman Empire.
How do you think this class hierarchy in ancient Rome relates to present day class divisions?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)