|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marcus say he and Esca need a place far from the village huts in Chapter 16?
2. How many warriors from the tribe chase down Marcus and Esca after they have left in Chapter 16?
3. To what people does Guern say he now belongs in Chapter 18?
4. What loch do Marcus and the others pass in Chapter 14?
5. The Wall in the North is described as spanning from Luguvallium to where in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tradui describe the eradication of the Ninth Legion in Chapter 15?
2. What does Liathan give to Esca in Chapter 19?
3. How do Marcus and Esca manage to steal the Eagle?
4. How do Marcus and Esca gain entrance to the gate of Borcovicus?
5. What is the significance of the bronze ring-brooch in the novel?
6. What did Guern do after abandoning the Ninth Legion?
7. What exchanges does Esca make in Cluta in Chapter 17? Why?
8. What gives away Marcus and Esca's location when they attempt to hide in Chapter 18?
9. How do Marcus and Esca evade their pursuers in Chapter 17?
10. How is the ring described that Tradui displays in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Tribune Placidus in The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does Marcus encounter Placidus? In what ways are the two men similar? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Uncle Aquila in the novel. How old is Uncle Aquila? Why had Marcus never met his uncle until now? Where does Uncle Aquila live? How would you describe his demeanor? How does he contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the Eagle in The Eagle of the Ninth. What is the Eagle an official representation of? What does the Eagle symbolize for Marcus? What does it represent to the other characters in the story?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)