|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marcus and Esca elude the riders?
2. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
3. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
4. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
5. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
2. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
3. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
4. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
5. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
6. What does Marcus urge Guern to do and why does he say no?
7. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
8. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
9. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
10. How does Marcus figure out who Guern might be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you see are the differences and similarities between Marcus and Esca? Discuss their values, personalities, approaches to problems and values.
Essay Topic 2
Esca proves his loyalty to Marcus by offering to die in his place. Esca is a member of the Painted People, enemies of the Roman Legions. His entire family was killed fighting for their freedom against the Roman Empire. Yet, Esca has found in Marcus, a young Roman Centurion, the closest friendship. His love and loyalty for Marcus are so great that Esca is willing to abandon the remnants of his clan and die for Marcus.
What do you think about Esca offering to give his life so Marcus can get away? Was it brave or stupid? How do you think you would react in a situation like that? Do you think laying down one's life for another is a reasonable response in any situation?
Essay Topic 3
What is the rite of manhood and how might it symbolize Marcus's struggle in his life?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)