|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the Eagle of the Ninth Legion?
2. What does a warrior tell Marcus about the legion?
3. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
4. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
5. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the beginning of the fall of the Ninth legion?
2. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
3. Why did Marcus and Esca hope to find the holy place? Who accidentally helped them and why?
4. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
5. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
6. Why is Esca particularly valuable to the two for selling the horses and how does Marcus use that?
7. Why did Guern say he finally left the legion?
8. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
9. How does Marcus figure out who Guern might be?
10. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esca argues that the price of Roman order has been too high. He shows Marcus a Celtic shield boss, with a pattern that flows like wind and stars across the front. Esca contrasts it with the neat, orderly embossed decoration of Marcus's own dagger sheath. Marcus understands that the two represent two different worlds. He hopes that with Esca and Cottia, he will be able to bridge the gap between them.
The dagger sheath symbolizes the Roman way of life. It is a well-ordered, conventional and moderately comfortable existence that demands absolute conformity. The shield boss symbolizes the life of the Celtic tribesmen, free, in tune with natural rhythms and expressive, if sometimes uncertain. Marcus realizes that the two represent very different worlds, which are unlikely ever to peacefully coexist. This comparison evokes a major conflict of the novel, the clash of cultures between the Roman Empire and the Celtic tribes.
Do you think two cultures as different as early Britain and ancient Rome can co-exist along side each other? Which culture would you favor and why?
Essay Topic 2
Marcus learns that loyalty to Rome and to the Legion is important, but so is loyalty to your friends and family. What do you believe is more important loyalty to family or friends? Why? What about country? Would you turn in a family member who committed a crime? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Just as Esca and Cub are loyal to Marcus, the Centurion is loyal to the Legion and to the memory of his father. Marcus is almost certain that the Hispana under his father's leadership would have fought bravely. He longs to avenge his father's honor and learn the circumstances of the deadly ambush that must surely have felled such a powerful force so far from home.
Write a short essay about one of your parents or an adult relative or friend that you admire. Do you think you will have similar values when you are an adult? What do you admire about this person? What do they do that makes you see them as special?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)