|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
2. What does the Chieftain tell Marcus about his people?
3. What does Esca buy for transportation?
4. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
5. How do they elude the dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
2. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
3. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
4. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
5. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
6. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
7. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
8. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
9. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
10. What happens to Marcus and Esca when the tribesmen catch them after they leave, having stolen the Eagle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the rite of manhood and how might it symbolize Marcus's struggle in his life?
Essay Topic 2
While Marcus, Esca and Cub struggle against aggressive and violent natures, Cottia has tender sensibilities and can barely stand to witness the gladiator contests. This portrait of frail, sensitive womanhood as the bearer of family morals and the sole civilizing influence is a distinctive feature of the 1950s, when The Eagle of the Ninth was published.
How are the views in modern America concerning women different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
The Eagle is the symbol of all Roman Legions. Thus, when Marcus says the 4th Gaulish is the finest cohort of all the Eagles, he means of all the Roman Legions. In the days of Pliny the Elder, the Roman Legions had five symbols, the eagle, the wolf, the bull or minotaur, the horse and the boar. During the reorganization of the Legions under Marius about 104 B.C., the four animals were eliminated, and every Legion was symbolized by a silver or bronze eagle with outstretched wings. Another important symbol is the red rose, which symbolizes blood and honor. When it falls, Marcus is reminded how fleeting life is and how important bravery and honor are.
What are some symbols in modern America? What do they represent and how do people in America respond to them?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)