|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus see the last priest of the festival carrying out of the holy place?
2. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
3. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
4. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
5. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guern do to help Marcus and Esca when they're running from the tribes?
2. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
3. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
4. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
5. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
6. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
7. Why did Guern say he finally left the legion?
8. Why did Marcus and Esca hope to find the holy place? Who accidentally helped them and why?
9. What does Marcus urge Guern to do and why does he say no?
10. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus learns that loyalty to Rome and to the Legion is important, but so is loyalty to your friends and family. What do you believe is more important loyalty to family or friends? Why? What about country? Would you turn in a family member who committed a crime? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The wolf cub symbolizes the struggle of each of us to tame the savage impulses within in order to belong to the civilized world. Both Esca and Marcus face that challenge, as former warriors who must conform to a pastoral life. Despite Marcus's protests, the bitter truth is that Esca is a slave.
Discuss the difficulties and rewards for being a member in good standing of a society. Are humans better off, do you think, living in groups with rules and expectations?
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)