|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Marcus and Esca drop off their horses upon arriving home in Calleva?
2. Who is said to have discovered Marcus's ring-brooch by the loch in Chapter 19?
3. What does Marcus notice a scar from on Guern's chin in Chapter 13?
4. What is Guern doing as he whistles in Chapter 17?
5. How many lives were lost in the recovering of the "winged god" (196), according to the Chieftan's grandfather in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Guern do after abandoning the Ninth Legion?
2. How and where is the Roman Eagle revealed in Chapter 14?
3. What gives away Marcus and Esca's location when they attempt to hide in Chapter 18?
4. Why does the song sung by Guern catch Marcus's attention?
5. Why are Marcus and Esca welcomed into the village of Dergdian's people?
6. How do Marcus and Esca gain entrance to the gate of Borcovicus?
7. How is the ring described that Tradui displays in Chapter 15?
8. What exchanges does Esca make in Cluta in Chapter 17? Why?
9. Where do Esca and Marcus hide the Eagle in Chapter 16? Why?
10. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Satunalia Games and entertainment of the Roman Empire. What entertainments were presented during the Games? What are Marcus's thoughts on the Games when he attends with his uncle?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the Eagle in The Eagle of the Ninth. What is the Eagle an official representation of? What does the Eagle symbolize for Marcus? What does it represent to the other characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Tribune Placidus in The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does Marcus encounter Placidus? In what ways are the two men similar? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)