|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
2. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
3. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
4. What does Esca buy for transportation?
5. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
2. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
3. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
4. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
5. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
6. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
7. What happens to Marcus and Esca when the tribesmen catch them after they leave, having stolen the Eagle?
8. Why is Esca particularly valuable to the two for selling the horses and how does Marcus use that?
9. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
10. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sixth Legion is based at Eburacum, the site of the present-day city of York. The Eagle symbolizes the honor of the Roman Legions. Strong, powerful and unmerciful, the bird of prey represents both the best and worst of Roman military might. Wingless and fallen into the hands of Druids or tribesmen, it is a powerful emblem of defeat. Protecting their Eagle was a potent rallying point for Romans soldiers. Some standards bearers were even known to rush into battle, forcing their more cautious cohort to follow them to protect the almost sacred Eagle.
Do you think the Eagle as a symbol is worth men giving up their lives? If you consider it a waste, why? If you don't, why? For what would you be willing to give up your life?
Essay Topic 2
Just as Esca and Cub are loyal to Marcus, the Centurion is loyal to the Legion and to the memory of his father. Marcus is almost certain that the Hispana under his father's leadership would have fought bravely. He longs to avenge his father's honor and learn the circumstances of the deadly ambush that must surely have felled such a powerful force so far from home.
Write a short essay about one of your parents or an adult relative or friend that you admire. Do you think you will have similar values when you are an adult? What do you admire about this person? What do they do that makes you see them as special?
Essay Topic 3
In Greek mythology, once someone has drunk the waters of Lethe, there is no going back. In an example of the Roman appropriation of Greek symbols of power and empire, both men are familiar with the River Lethe in Greek mythology. Lethe is the river of Hades. Anyone who drinks of it is granted immediate forgetfulness and concealment from their enemies.
Can you think of any time in your life you'd would have drunk the water of Lethe? Explain. Is having no memories of the past better in some instances?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)