|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Marcus and Esca upset that they lost near the water in Chapter 16?
2. What loch do Marcus and the others pass in Chapter 14?
3. How many lives were lost in the recovering of the "winged god" (196), according to the Chieftan's grandfather in Chapter 15?
4. What color is the harebell that Marcus observes in Chapter 18?
5. What is Guern doing as he whistles in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marcus and Esca evade their pursuers in Chapter 17?
2. How do Marcus and Esca manage to steal the Eagle?
3. Where do Esca and Marcus hide the Eagle in Chapter 16? Why?
4. Who is Boudicca and why does Guern mention her in Chapter 13?
5. What exchanges does Esca make in Cluta in Chapter 17? Why?
6. How has Cub changed when Marcus returns in Chapter 20?
7. How does Tradui describe the eradication of the Ninth Legion in Chapter 15?
8. How is Guern's appearance described when he is introduced?
9. Why does the song sung by Guern catch Marcus's attention?
10. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What superstition and fear is related regarding the Ninth Legion? What happened to the Ninth Legion? How does Marcus discover this information? What does this information mean to Marcus?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the character of Marcus Flavius Aquila in The Eagle of the Ninth. How old is Marcus when the novel begins? How old is he when the story ends? How would you describe Marcus's character arc in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do Marcus and Esca manage to enter into the lands of the North and to pass through them? What disguise does Marcus don? What additional preparations are made?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)