|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Guern think so much bad happened to the Ninth Legion?
2. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
3. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
4. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
5. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcus figure out who Guern might be?
2. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
3. What happened at the beginning of the fall of the Ninth legion?
4. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
5. What happens to Marcus and Esca when the tribesmen catch them after they leave, having stolen the Eagle?
6. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
7. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
8. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
9. What does Marcus urge Guern to do and why does he say no?
10. What does Guern do to help Marcus and Esca when they're running from the tribes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as Esca and Cub are loyal to Marcus, the Centurion is loyal to the Legion and to the memory of his father. Marcus is almost certain that the Hispana under his father's leadership would have fought bravely. He longs to avenge his father's honor and learn the circumstances of the deadly ambush that must surely have felled such a powerful force so far from home.
Write a short essay about one of your parents or an adult relative or friend that you admire. Do you think you will have similar values when you are an adult? What do you admire about this person? What do they do that makes you see them as special?
Essay Topic 2
What do you see are the differences and similarities between Marcus and Esca? Discuss their values, personalities, approaches to problems and values.
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)