|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
2. What does Esca suggest?
3. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
4. How do they elude the dogs?
5. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the beginning of the fall of the Ninth legion?
2. What does Guern do to help Marcus and Esca when they're running from the tribes?
3. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
4. How does Marcus figure out who Guern might be?
5. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
6. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
7. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
8. Why is Esca particularly valuable to the two for selling the horses and how does Marcus use that?
9. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
10. What does Marcus urge Guern to do and why does he say no?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you see are the differences and similarities between Marcus and Esca? Discuss their values, personalities, approaches to problems and values.
Essay Topic 2
What is the rite of manhood and how might it symbolize Marcus's struggle in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The Eagle is the symbol of all Roman Legions. Thus, when Marcus says the 4th Gaulish is the finest cohort of all the Eagles, he means of all the Roman Legions. In the days of Pliny the Elder, the Roman Legions had five symbols, the eagle, the wolf, the bull or minotaur, the horse and the boar. During the reorganization of the Legions under Marius about 104 B.C., the four animals were eliminated, and every Legion was symbolized by a silver or bronze eagle with outstretched wings. Another important symbol is the red rose, which symbolizes blood and honor. When it falls, Marcus is reminded how fleeting life is and how important bravery and honor are.
What are some symbols in modern America? What do they represent and how do people in America respond to them?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)