|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Guern think so much bad happened to the Ninth Legion?
2. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
3. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
4. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
5. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
2. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
3. Why did Marcus and Esca hope to find the holy place? Who accidentally helped them and why?
4. What happened at the beginning of the fall of the Ninth legion?
5. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
6. What does Marcus urge Guern to do and why does he say no?
7. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
8. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
9. Why did Guern say he finally left the legion?
10. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as Esca and Cub are loyal to Marcus, the Centurion is loyal to the Legion and to the memory of his father. Marcus is almost certain that the Hispana under his father's leadership would have fought bravely. He longs to avenge his father's honor and learn the circumstances of the deadly ambush that must surely have felled such a powerful force so far from home.
Write a short essay about one of your parents or an adult relative or friend that you admire. Do you think you will have similar values when you are an adult? What do you admire about this person? What do they do that makes you see them as special?
Essay Topic 2
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
Essay Topic 3
The wolf cub symbolizes the struggle of each of us to tame the savage impulses within in order to belong to the civilized world. Both Esca and Marcus face that challenge, as former warriors who must conform to a pastoral life. Despite Marcus's protests, the bitter truth is that Esca is a slave.
Discuss the difficulties and rewards for being a member in good standing of a society. Are humans better off, do you think, living in groups with rules and expectations?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)