|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Marcus now become?
2. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
3. What does Esca buy for transportation?
4. When three tribesmen enter the tower, what do Marcus and Esca do?
5. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Esca particularly valuable to the two for selling the horses and how does Marcus use that?
2. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
3. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
4. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
5. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
6. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
7. What happened at the beginning of the fall of the Ninth legion?
8. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
9. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
10. How does Marcus figure out who Guern might be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus learns that loyalty to Rome and to the Legion is important, but so is loyalty to your friends and family. What do you believe is more important loyalty to family or friends? Why? What about country? Would you turn in a family member who committed a crime? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Esca proves his loyalty to Marcus by offering to die in his place. Esca is a member of the Painted People, enemies of the Roman Legions. His entire family was killed fighting for their freedom against the Roman Empire. Yet, Esca has found in Marcus, a young Roman Centurion, the closest friendship. His love and loyalty for Marcus are so great that Esca is willing to abandon the remnants of his clan and die for Marcus. Again, Sutcliff uses Esca's plight to suggest that the under classes were born to sacrifice themselves on behalf of the rulers, in Britain as well as in the Roman Empire.
How do you think this class hierarchy in ancient Rome relates to present day class divisions?
Essay Topic 3
Decimation was a form of Roman punishment for dishonored legions. Describe the process and discuss whether you think it's an effective method of keeping soldiers in line.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)