|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chieftan's father show Marcus that he took from his greatest battle ever in Chapter 15?
2. How many warriors from the tribe chase down Marcus and Esca after they have left in Chapter 16?
3. What does Esca replace his and Marcus's horses with in Chapter 17?
4. What animal is the hunting party that Marcus encounters bringing back to their village in Chapter 14?
5. How many lives were lost in the recovering of the "winged god" (196), according to the Chieftan's grandfather in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is done with the Eagle in Chapter 20?
2. How and where is the Roman Eagle revealed in Chapter 14?
3. Where do Esca and Marcus hide the Eagle in Chapter 16? Why?
4. What happened to the Legate of the Ninth Legion, according to Guern?
5. How do Marcus and Esca evade their pursuers in Chapter 17?
6. How is the character of Dergdian described?
7. What did Guern do after abandoning the Ninth Legion?
8. How do Marcus and Esca manage to steal the Eagle?
9. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca in Chapter 18?
10. Why are Marcus and Esca welcomed into the village of Dergdian's people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Chieftan Dergdian and his village. Where is the village located? What are the people of this village called? How does Marcus help the Chieftan and his people?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Cottia in the novel. How old is Cottia when she meets Marcus? How would you describe her appearance and her temperament? How does Cottia's character transform in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events that lead up to Marcus's injuries at his post in Roman Britain. Who attacks the battalion? How is the attack orchestrated? How many of Marcus's men are injured or killed in the attack?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)