|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marcus claim to be from when he is talking with the Chieftan's grandfather in Chapter 15?
2. Where is the sentry on the northern ramparts when he believes he hears horses' hooves in Chapter 19?
3. Where does Esca sell his and Marcus's horses in Chapter 17?
4. Who is said to have discovered Marcus's ring-brooch by the loch in Chapter 19?
5. What kind of cap does Marcus wear in disguise in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus create an altar in Chapter 11?
2. What exchanges does Esca make in Cluta in Chapter 17? Why?
3. How is the ring described that Tradui displays in Chapter 15?
4. Who is Boudicca and why does Guern mention her in Chapter 13?
5. How is Guern's appearance described when he is introduced?
6. How has Cub changed when Marcus returns in Chapter 20?
7. How is Hadrian's Wall described? Where is it located?
8. What ruse does Esca suggest in Chapter 16? How does Marcus respond?
9. What did Guern do after abandoning the Ninth Legion?
10. What does Liathan give to Esca in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the character of Marcus Flavius Aquila in The Eagle of the Ninth. How old is Marcus when the novel begins? How old is he when the story ends? How would you describe Marcus's character arc in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does the exposition transition into the rising action of the story? Where does the climax take place? What are the tone and mood of the falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Satunalia Games and entertainment of the Roman Empire. What entertainments were presented during the Games? What are Marcus's thoughts on the Games when he attends with his uncle?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)