|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the ninth legion?
2. What will the gladiator be doing for Marcus?
3. What does Marcus do about the new danger?
4. What does Marcus notice about the item in question #20?
5. How old is the unit of marchers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcus learn from Esca about Esca's family?
2. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
3. Write about the argument Esca and Marcus have about Rome and Britain.
4. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
5. Who is Claudius Hieronimianus and who does he bring to dinner with him?
6. What can Marcus do about being discharged from the legion?
7. Why did Cradoc and Marcus make a wager and what was the result?
8. Describe how Marcus fares after his heroic attack on the chariot.
9. Describe what Marcus saw at the circus in the fight between the "fisher" and another man.
10. Describe the relationship between Marcus and Cradoc.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the eve of Marcus's surgery, Marcus is grateful for the friendship of Esca, Cottia and Cub. With no money and no job, Marcus is still worried about finding his way in the world, but he realizes that he is no longer lonely. Esca's friendship with Marcus is deepening, evidenced when he is more concerned about the surgery than the unconscious Marcus is, and he insists on personally caring for his master.
How has friendship helped you through a rough time in your life? What do you think is the reason?
Essay Topic 2
Marcus learns that loyalty to Rome and to the Legion is important, but so is loyalty to your friends and family. What do you believe is more important loyalty to family or friends? Why? What about country? Would you turn in a family member who committed a crime? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)