|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marcus tell Esca he bought his dagger in Chapter 7?
2. What trait identifies Esca as a slave?
3. What does the word "cockcrow" (44) refer to in Chapter 4?
4. What does Marcus tell his replacement commander he will do if he lets the Cohort go to ruin in Chapter 4?
5. What game does "draughts" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Marcus being tended to in Chapter 4? By whom is he being care for?
2. How is Marcus's surgery described in Chapter 8?
3. Who is brought in to examine Marcus's leg in Chapter 8? Why?
4. How is Uncle Aquila described?
5. What bet with Cradoc does Marcus propose in Chapter 2?
6. Where has Marcus been assigned in Chapter 2? How many men does he command?
7. How are the slaves described in Uncle Aquila's home?
8. What rumor regarding the Eagle does the Legate describe in Chapter 10?
9. When and where is The Eagle of the Ninth set?
10. How does Cottia feel about Roman culture and about her aunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Cottia in the novel. How old is Cottia when she meets Marcus? How would you describe her appearance and her temperament? How does Cottia's character transform in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the Chieftan Dergdian and his village. Where is the village located? What are the people of this village called? How does Marcus help the Chieftan and his people?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does the exposition transition into the rising action of the story? Where does the climax take place? What are the tone and mood of the falling action and denouement?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)