|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the cook at Uncle Aquila's home?
2. What is the name of Kaeso's wife?
3. Who does Marcus tell to muster the squadron and hold them in readiness in Chapter 3?
4. What is Marcus's response when Esca asks him in Chapter 8, "Was it as bad as that" (108)?
5. What was the name of Cradoc's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Uncle Aquila described?
2. How are the slaves described in Uncle Aquila's home?
3. What rumor regarding the Eagle does the Legate describe in Chapter 10?
4. Who is brought in to examine Marcus's leg in Chapter 8? Why?
5. When and where is The Eagle of the Ninth set?
6. What does Placidus suggest as a reason for the disappearance of the Ninth Legion?
7. How is Marcus's surgery described in Chapter 8?
8. Who is visiting Uncle Aquila in Chapter 9? Why?
9. How does Esca use weapons to illustrate the differences between Roman culture and the culture of the Celts?
10. How does Cottia feel about Roman culture and about her aunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Tribune Placidus in The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does Marcus encounter Placidus? In what ways are the two men similar? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Eagle of the Ninth. Where does the exposition transition into the rising action of the story? Where does the climax take place? What are the tone and mood of the falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of The Eagle of the Ninth. When does the story take place? Where is it set? What were the social, political, and international atmospheres at this time? How does the author incorporate that history into her novel?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)