|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shapes on the shield-boss does Esca say expresses the nature of his people in Chapter 7?
2. What Roman wine does Uncle Aquila share with his guests in Chapter 10?
3. Near what ancient city did Marcus Flavius Aquila grow up with his mother on the family farm?
4. What does the word "cockcrow" (44) refer to in Chapter 4?
5. Where does Centurion Drusillus suggest calling in reinforcements from in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rose in the wine jar symbolize?
2. How are the slaves described in Uncle Aquila's home?
3. How does Cottia feel about Roman culture and about her aunt?
4. How does Marcus feel about the end of his career with the Eagles?
5. From what narrative point of view is the novel related?
6. What does Cottia tell Marcus when she appears in the garden in Chapter 8?
7. Why does Marcus buy the slave Esca?
8. What does Placidus suggest as a reason for the disappearance of the Ninth Legion?
9. What information does Marcus learn of the conclusion of the battle in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Marcus worry he may be making a laughing stock out of himself in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Chieftan Dergdian and his village. Where is the village located? What are the people of this village called? How does Marcus help the Chieftan and his people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Guern the Hunter in The Eagle of the Ninth. Where do Marcus and Esca meet Guern? What is Guern doing when they meet him? What indications show that Guern has a history with the Roman military?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the strategy that Marcus and Esca use in securing and escaping with the Eagle from the North. From whom do they take the Eagle? How do they manage to deflect suspicion? What ultimately leads to their being hunted down?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)