Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the item in question 82 have on it?
2. What did Esca's father do before he was enslaved?
3. What cohort did the leader's father command?
4. What does he tell Marcus when asked about the answer in question 20?
5. What was the Greek net man called by the crowds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
2. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
3. Write about the argument Esca and Marcus have about Rome and Britain.
4. Describe what Marcus saw at the circus in the fight between the "fisher" and another man.
5. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
6. What does Quintus Hilarion, the Pilus Prior Centurion tell Marcus, who is replacing him?
7. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
8. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
9. What does Esca show Marcus do illustrate the difference between Rome and Britain?
10. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
What do you see are the differences and similarities between Marcus and Esca? Discuss their values, personalities, approaches to problems and values.
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
The Eagle is the symbol of all Roman Legions. Thus, when Marcus says the 4th Gaulish is the finest cohort of all the Eagles, he means of all the Roman Legions. In the days of Pliny the Elder, the Roman Legions had five symbols, the eagle, the wolf, the bull or minotaur, the horse and the boar. During the reorganization of the Legions under Marius about 104 B.C., the four animals were eliminated, and every Legion was symbolized by a silver or bronze eagle with outstretched wings. Another important symbol is the red rose, which symbolizes blood and honor. When it falls, Marcus is reminded how fleeting life is and how important bravery and honor are.
What are some symbols in modern America? What do they represent and how do people in America respond to them?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)