|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he tell Marcus when asked about the answer in question 20?
2. How long was Marcus semi-conscious after being injured?
3. What is Esca trying to show Marcus about Rome and Britain?
4. What does Marcus do before asking Esca to accompany him?
5. What does Marcus do about the new danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Legate think happened to the Ninth Legion's Eagle and what does he fear?
2. Why did Cradoc and Marcus make a wager and what was the result?
3. How is the rebelling village punished and how does Marcus feel about the village?
4. What can Marcus do about being discharged from the legion?
5. What does Marcus consider his true home and why?
6. What does the war spear in Chapter two mean to the story?
7. What is Placidus's attitude at dinner that night?
8. What happens when Marcus gives Esca his freedom and what does it symbolize?
9. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
10. What does Marcus learn from Esca about Esca's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marcus learns that loyalty to Rome and to the Legion is important, but so is loyalty to your friends and family. What do you believe is more important loyalty to family or friends? Why? What about country? Would you turn in a family member who committed a crime? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How would you relate the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan to Rome occupying Britain?
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)