|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus offer in a bet to Cradoc in Chapter 2?
2. How old was Uncle Aquila's only love when she died?
3. Who does Centurion Quintus Hilarion warn Marcus about in Chapter 1?
4. What shapes on the shield-boss does Esca say expresses the nature of his people in Chapter 7?
5. How long has it been since Marcus's surgery in the beginning of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Marcus been assigned in Chapter 2? How many men does he command?
2. What is Esca's history? For how long has he been a slave?
3. Where is Marcus being tended to in Chapter 4? By whom is he being care for?
4. Why does Marcus grant Esca his freedom in Chapter 10?
5. When and where is The Eagle of the Ninth set?
6. Why does Marcus release Cub in the wild?
7. What are the Saturnalia Games and what entertainments are provided at the Games that Marcus attends?
8. How does Cottia feel about Roman culture and about her aunt?
9. Who is visiting Uncle Aquila in Chapter 9? Why?
10. How does Esca use weapons to illustrate the differences between Roman culture and the culture of the Celts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Uncle Aquila in the novel. How old is Uncle Aquila? Why had Marcus never met his uncle until now? Where does Uncle Aquila live? How would you describe his demeanor? How does he contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the strategy that Marcus and Esca use in securing and escaping with the Eagle from the North. From whom do they take the Eagle? How do they manage to deflect suspicion? What ultimately leads to their being hunted down?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the narrative style of The Eagle of the Ninth. From whose perspective is the story related? Is the narrative presented in the present, future, or past tense? How do each of these choices by the author contribute to the work itself?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)