|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men has the outpost lost in fighting?
2. Who storms the outpost's walls?
3. How many bad harvests years has Britain had before the opening of the book?
4. What do the rescuers form when they reach the answer in question #32?
5. Who does Marcus see approaching the fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
2. What happens to Marcus and Esca when the tribesmen catch them after they leave, having stolen the Eagle?
3. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
4. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
5. Marcus and Esca takes Cub somewhere. Where do they go and why?
6. What did Marcus's attack do for the Roman legion?
7. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
8. How does Cottia react to Marcus's upcoming surgery and how does Esca react once it's over?
9. What interests Marcus about Esca's recollection from childhood about Roman soldiers?
10. How is the rebelling village punished and how does Marcus feel about the village?
Essay Topic 1
Just as Esca and Cub are loyal to Marcus, the Centurion is loyal to the Legion and to the memory of his father. Marcus is almost certain that the Hispana under his father's leadership would have fought bravely. He longs to avenge his father's honor and learn the circumstances of the deadly ambush that must surely have felled such a powerful force so far from home.
Write a short essay about one of your parents or an adult relative or friend that you admire. Do you think you will have similar values when you are an adult? What do you admire about this person? What do they do that makes you see them as special?
Essay Topic 2
Describe from beginning to end, as Guern related it, what happened to the Ninth Legion. Include your opinion on: Who was responsible? Who commanded it? What was the ultimate fate?
Essay Topic 3
Esca proves his loyalty to Marcus by offering to die in his place. Esca is a member of the Painted People, enemies of the Roman Legions. His entire family was killed fighting for their freedom against the Roman Empire. Yet, Esca has found in Marcus, a young Roman Centurion, the closest friendship. His love and loyalty for Marcus are so great that Esca is willing to abandon the remnants of his clan and die for Marcus.
What do you think about Esca offering to give his life so Marcus can get away? Was it brave or stupid? How do you think you would react in a situation like that? Do you think laying down one's life for another is a reasonable response in any situation?
This section contains 2,543 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)