|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is leading the answer in question #29?
2. How many bad harvests years has Britain had before the opening of the book?
3. How old is the unit of marchers?
4. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
5. How does Marcus feel towards Esca?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the wolf hunt for and how is Esca involved?
2. Describe a testudo and what it does.
3. Who is Claudius Hieronimianus and who does he bring to dinner with him?
4. What happens when Marcus gives Esca his freedom and what does it symbolize?
5. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
6. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
7. Marcus and Esca takes Cub somewhere. Where do they go and why?
8. Describe Marcus Flavius Aquila.
9. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
10. What concerns Marcus's uncle about his leg and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esca proves his loyalty to Marcus by offering to die in his place. Esca is a member of the Painted People, enemies of the Roman Legions. His entire family was killed fighting for their freedom against the Roman Empire. Yet, Esca has found in Marcus, a young Roman Centurion, the closest friendship. His love and loyalty for Marcus are so great that Esca is willing to abandon the remnants of his clan and die for Marcus.
What do you think about Esca offering to give his life so Marcus can get away? Was it brave or stupid? How do you think you would react in a situation like that? Do you think laying down one's life for another is a reasonable response in any situation?
Essay Topic 2
How would you relate the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan to Rome occupying Britain?
Essay Topic 3
Just as Esca and Cub are loyal to Marcus, the Centurion is loyal to the Legion and to the memory of his father. Marcus is almost certain that the Hispana under his father's leadership would have fought bravely. He longs to avenge his father's honor and learn the circumstances of the deadly ambush that must surely have felled such a powerful force so far from home.
Write a short essay about one of your parents or an adult relative or friend that you admire. Do you think you will have similar values when you are an adult? What do you admire about this person? What do they do that makes you see them as special?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)