|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Esca know him?
2. What does he tell Marcus when asked about the answer in question 20?
3. What did the collapse of the first chariot do in the fight?
4. How does Marcus feel towards the Tribune?
5. What does Marcus's uncle do about his request in question 87?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can Marcus do about being discharged from the legion?
2. How does Rome award the Second Legion and Marcus?
3. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
4. Describe Cottia and how Marcus meets her.
5. How does Marcus show his concern for his men?
6. What does Marcus learn from Esca about Esca's family?
7. Who is Claudius Hieronimianus and who does he bring to dinner with him?
8. What is Placidus's attitude at dinner that night?
9. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
10. Describe Marcus Flavius Aquila.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esca argues that the price of Roman order has been too high. He shows Marcus a Celtic shield boss, with a pattern that flows like wind and stars across the front. Esca contrasts it with the neat, orderly embossed decoration of Marcus's own dagger sheath. Marcus understands that the two represent two different worlds. He hopes that with Esca and Cottia, he will be able to bridge the gap between them.
The dagger sheath symbolizes the Roman way of life. It is a well-ordered, conventional and moderately comfortable existence that demands absolute conformity. The shield boss symbolizes the life of the Celtic tribesmen, free, in tune with natural rhythms and expressive, if sometimes uncertain. Marcus realizes that the two represent very different worlds, which are unlikely ever to peacefully coexist. This comparison evokes a major conflict of the novel, the clash of cultures between the Roman Empire and the Celtic tribes.
Do you think two cultures as different as early Britain and ancient Rome can co-exist along side each other? Which culture would you favor and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the rite of manhood and how might it symbolize Marcus's struggle in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)