|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes him on the answer to question #15?
2. What does Esca return with from the hunt?
3. What is Marcus awarded for bravery?
4. What does Cottia say about the surgery?
5. What's the name of the garrison Surgeon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
2. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
3. How does Cottia react to Marcus's upcoming surgery and how does Esca react once it's over?
4. What does the war spear in Chapter two mean to the story?
5. What does the physician say about Marcus's injuries and how does Marcus feel about his time at his uncle's?
6. How might Cub's return be symbolic of Marcus's life?
7. Why do you think Marcus and Cottia get along? What might they have in common?
8. Describe Cottia and how Marcus meets her.
9. What is Placidus's attitude at dinner that night?
10. Describe how Marcus fares after his heroic attack on the chariot.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Marcus, Esca and Cub struggle against aggressive and violent natures, Cottia has tender sensibilities and can barely stand to witness the gladiator contests. This portrait of frail, sensitive womanhood as the bearer of family morals and the sole civilizing influence is a distinctive feature of the 1950s, when The Eagle of the Ninth was published.
How are the views in modern America concerning women different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
In Greek mythology, once someone has drunk the waters of Lethe, there is no going back. In an example of the Roman appropriation of Greek symbols of power and empire, both men are familiar with the River Lethe in Greek mythology. Lethe is the river of Hades. Anyone who drinks of it is granted immediate forgetfulness and concealment from their enemies.
Can you think of any time in your life you'd would have drunk the water of Lethe? Explain. Is having no memories of the past better in some instances?
Essay Topic 3
How would you relate the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan to Rome occupying Britain?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)