|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
2. How does Tribune Servius Placidus act towards Marcus?
3. Who does the uncle talk to about Marcus's leg?
4. What happens to Marcus in the military?
5. How does Marcus recognize the man with the dinner guest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
2. Describe the local population's relationship with Rome.
3. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
4. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
5. How is the rebelling village punished and how does Marcus feel about the village?
6. Who is Claudius Hieronimianus and who does he bring to dinner with him?
7. What does the war spear in Chapter two mean to the story?
8. How does Rome award the Second Legion and Marcus?
9. How does Cottia react to Marcus's upcoming surgery and how does Esca react once it's over?
10. Describe Marcus Flavius Aquila.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Marcus, Esca and Cub struggle against aggressive and violent natures, Cottia has tender sensibilities and can barely stand to witness the gladiator contests. This portrait of frail, sensitive womanhood as the bearer of family morals and the sole civilizing influence is a distinctive feature of the 1950s, when The Eagle of the Ninth was published.
How are the views in modern America concerning women different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
The Eagle is the symbol of all Roman Legions. Thus, when Marcus says the 4th Gaulish is the finest cohort of all the Eagles, he means of all the Roman Legions. In the days of Pliny the Elder, the Roman Legions had five symbols, the eagle, the wolf, the bull or minotaur, the horse and the boar. During the reorganization of the Legions under Marius about 104 B.C., the four animals were eliminated, and every Legion was symbolized by a silver or bronze eagle with outstretched wings. Another important symbol is the red rose, which symbolizes blood and honor. When it falls, Marcus is reminded how fleeting life is and how important bravery and honor are.
What are some symbols in modern America? What do they represent and how do people in America respond to them?
Essay Topic 3
How would you relate the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan to Rome occupying Britain?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)