|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
2. Where do Marcus and his uncle go for entertainment?
3. What do her aunt and uncle call her?
4. Besides the spear wound what else is wrong with Marcus?
5. What does Marcus think about the men of the village who were killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
2. Why do you think Marcus and Cottia get along? What might they have in common?
3. How is the rebelling village punished and how does Marcus feel about the village?
4. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
5. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
6. Describe the local population's relationship with Rome.
7. Describe what Marcus saw at the circus in the fight between the "fisher" and another man.
8. What does Marcus consider his true home and why?
9. What happens when Marcus gives Esca his freedom and what does it symbolize?
10. Marcus and Esca takes Cub somewhere. Where do they go and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Marcus, Esca and Cub struggle against aggressive and violent natures, Cottia has tender sensibilities and can barely stand to witness the gladiator contests. This portrait of frail, sensitive womanhood as the bearer of family morals and the sole civilizing influence is a distinctive feature of the 1950s, when The Eagle of the Ninth was published.
How are the views in modern America concerning women different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Describe from beginning to end, as Guern related it, what happened to the Ninth Legion. Include your opinion on: Who was responsible? Who commanded it? What was the ultimate fate?
Essay Topic 3
How would you relate the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan to Rome occupying Britain?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)