|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the leader have on his face between his brows?
2. Who planted the answer to question #13 and why?
3. What happens to Marcus in the military?
4. What is the insignia of the second legion?
5. How does Marcus feel towards the Tribune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the local population's relationship with Rome.
2. What does Marcus consider his true home and why?
3. What is the wolf hunt for and how is Esca involved?
4. How does Cottia react to Marcus's upcoming surgery and how does Esca react once it's over?
5. What interests Marcus about Esca's recollection from childhood about Roman soldiers?
6. How does Marcus show his concern for his men?
7. What happens when Marcus gives Esca his freedom and what does it symbolize?
8. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
9. Marcus and Esca takes Cub somewhere. Where do they go and why?
10. Why do you think Marcus and Cottia get along? What might they have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Marcus, Esca and Cub struggle against aggressive and violent natures, Cottia has tender sensibilities and can barely stand to witness the gladiator contests. This portrait of frail, sensitive womanhood as the bearer of family morals and the sole civilizing influence is a distinctive feature of the 1950s, when The Eagle of the Ninth was published.
How are the views in modern America concerning women different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Decimation was a form of Roman punishment for dishonored legions. Describe the process and discuss whether you think it's an effective method of keeping soldiers in line.
Essay Topic 3
The men continue to travel through southern Scotland. Guern's knowledge of Latin and his chin strap scar prove he is a former member of the Roman Legion. Like every army, the Legion has distinctive marching songs. Guern is whistling one of the most enduring. The brand of Mithras between Guern's brows also betrays his service in the Legion. Although Guern is a traitor to the Legion, he proves to be a loyal friend. Marcus seems willing to accept Guern at face value without condemnation. In his own quest for belonging, Marcus seems to accept that Guern has found his place, even if it meant leaving the Legion.
Do you think Guern was wrong to desert the legion? Do you think he could actually be called a deserter? What would you have done if you had been in Guern's position? Do you think it was brave or silly for Marcus's father to die trying to save the Eagle?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)