Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the item in question 82 have on it?
2. What did Esca's father do before he was enslaved?
3. What cohort did the leader's father command?
4. What does he tell Marcus when asked about the answer in question 20?
5. What was the Greek net man called by the crowds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
2. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
3. Write about the argument Esca and Marcus have about Rome and Britain.
4. Describe what Marcus saw at the circus in the fight between the "fisher" and another man.
5. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
6. What does Quintus Hilarion, the Pilus Prior Centurion tell Marcus, who is replacing him?
7. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
8. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
9. What does Esca show Marcus do illustrate the difference between Rome and Britain?
10. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
Essay Topic 1
Write a brief essay on how you would feel about the soldiers occupying your country. Would you be friends with them? Why or why not? Would you allow their doctors to treat you or your family? Would you enroll in their military? Would you join a resistance? Marry a citizen of that country?
Essay Topic 2
Esca proves his loyalty to Marcus by offering to die in his place. Esca is a member of the Painted People, enemies of the Roman Legions. His entire family was killed fighting for their freedom against the Roman Empire. Yet, Esca has found in Marcus, a young Roman Centurion, the closest friendship. His love and loyalty for Marcus are so great that Esca is willing to abandon the remnants of his clan and die for Marcus. Again, Sutcliff uses Esca's plight to suggest that the under classes were born to sacrifice themselves on behalf of the rulers, in Britain as well as in the Roman Empire.
How do you think this class hierarchy in ancient Rome relates to present day class divisions?
Essay Topic 3
Decimation was a form of Roman punishment for dishonored legions. Describe the process and discuss whether you think it's an effective method of keeping soldiers in line.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)