|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hadrian's wall run?
(a) From north to south Britain
(b) From Rome to Britain
(c) From Luguvallium to Segedunum, bisecting the country
(d) There is no Hadrian's wall
2. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
(a) The Icni tribe
(b) For signs of mass graves
(c) The Epidaii's holy place
(d) The tribe of the Painted People
3. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He flung the Eagle down and ran
(b) He killed the old man's brother
(c) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(d) He was wounded but didn't die then
4. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) They drop a spear out the window
(b) A tribe member saw them go in it
(c) The hounds smell them
(d) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
5. What does Esca suggest?
(a) That they take the Chief's son hostage
(b) That they bury the Eagle and make a run for the wall
(c) That Marcus leaves him to deal with the tribesmen
(d) That Marcus stays and Esca gets the Eagle to the wall
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
2. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
3. What does Marcus see the last priest of the festival carrying out of the holy place?
4. Where did Cottia go?
5. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
2. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
3. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
4. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
5. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
6. What happens to Marcus and Esca when the tribesmen catch them after they leave, having stolen the Eagle?
7. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
8. How does Marcus figure out who Guern might be?
9. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
10. Why did Marcus and Esca hope to find the holy place? Who accidentally helped them and why?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)