|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is said to have discovered Marcus's ring-brooch by the loch in Chapter 19?
2. What gemstone is in the ring that Marcus receives in Chapter 19?
3. Why does Marcus say he and Esca need a place far from the village huts in Chapter 16?
(a) Esca needs peace and quiet.
(b) Marcus will be calling in surgeons to attend to Esca.
(c) Marcus must perform powerful magic to heal Esca.
(d) Esca's illness is highly contagious and deadly.
4. Where does Uncle Aquila say Cottia has gone for the winter in Chapter 20?
(c) Aquae Sulis.
5. What loch do Marcus and the others pass in Chapter 14?
(a) The Loch of Icy Water.
(b) The Loch Ness.
(c) The Loch of the Celts.
(d) The Loch of Many Islets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in Chapter 12 refers to a flat quick bread baked or cooked from grain?
2. To what people does Guern say he now belongs in Chapter 18?
3. What is the name of Guern's wife?
4. How long ago does Guern say it was when the men of the Legion carried out the Procurator's order to dispossess the Queen of the Iceni?
5. What has the Chieftan's family been putting on their son's eyes in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the ring described that Tradui displays in Chapter 15?
2. Who is Boudicca and why does Guern mention her in Chapter 13?
3. How do Marcus and Esca evade their pursuers in Chapter 17?
4. What gives away Marcus and Esca's location when they attempt to hide in Chapter 18?
5. Where is Valentia? How large was this province of Roman Britain?
6. How do Marcus and Esca gain entrance to the gate of Borcovicus?
7. What costumes do Marcus and Esca wear as they set out on their mission?
8. How is the character of Dergdian described?
9. How do Marcus and Esca manage to steal the Eagle?
10. What happened to the Legate of the Ninth Legion, according to Guern?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)