|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
(b) A tribe member saw them go in it
(c) They drop a spear out the window
(d) The hounds smell them
2. How do they elude the dogs?
(a) They leave some clothing in a out of the way spot
(b) They put wild lavender on their trail
(c) They make a skunk spray
(d) They slip into a river
3. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To keep the northern tribes from invading
(b) To keep back mud slides
(c) To tame the forests
(d) To give travellers a place to rest
4. What does Marcus show Guern to get him to confess?
(a) His own brand of Mithras
(b) His chin strap scar
(c) His hands
(d) His torn leg
5. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) He wants to make them slaves
(b) His wife is sick and needs help
(c) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
(d) He is always curious about strangers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
2. Two days later, still a long way from the wall, where do Marcus and Esca take refuge?
3. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
4. What Chieftain asks them to his home?
5. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcus feel about Guern?
2. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
3. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion and what to do with the Eagle?
4. What happened at the beginning of the fall of the Ninth legion?
5. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
6. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
7. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
8. What does Esca demonstrate by staying with Marcus and helping to search for the Eagle?
9. Why did Guern say he finally left the legion?
10. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)