|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
(b) They drop a spear out the window
(c) The hounds smell them
(d) A tribe member saw them go in it
2. What does Marcus do when they leave Guern?
(a) He promises gold to be sent
(b) He salutes him and calls him Centurion
(c) He hugs him and calls him brother
(d) He tells him he'll name his son Guern
3. Why is Cub so thin?
(a) He has worms
(b) He has been running around too much
(c) He was angry at being confined
(d) The wolf would accept food only from Cottia, who had been gone a while
4. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
(a) A gold bracelet
(b) His father's signet ring
(c) The Eagle's wings
(d) A message from Liathan's father
5. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
(a) They are too easily identified
(b) Their wind was broken
(c) They ate too much
(d) It was close enough to the wall to walk
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Cottia go?
2. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
3. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
4. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
5. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
2. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
3. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
4. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
5. Why did Marcus and Esca hope to find the holy place? Who accidentally helped them and why?
6. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
7. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
8. How are Marcus and Esca disguised and what do they look like?
9. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
10. What happens to Marcus and Esca when the tribesmen catch them after they leave, having stolen the Eagle?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)