|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing the fight against the Red Crests in Chapter 15, the Chieftan's grandfather says that his tribe brought the enemy to bay in the bog country north of what place?
(a) The Green Pasture.
(b) The Catuvellauni.
(c) The Three Hills.
(d) The Red Mountain.
2. Where does Esca sell his and Marcus's horses in Chapter 17?
3. What is the talisman shaped like that Marcus wears on his forehead in Chapter 11?
(a) A heart.
(b) An open hand.
(c) A diamond.
(d) An eagle.
4. What does the Eagle represent symbolically to Marcus?
(a) His brother's reputation.
(b) A wealth of money.
(d) His father's reputation.
5. Where do Marcus and Esca drop off their horses upon arriving home in Calleva?
(a) The White Horse.
(b) The Golden Vine.
(c) The Green Garden.
(d) The Black Raven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What false name does Marcus give to the guards at the North Gate in Chapter 11?
2. What problem does the narrator describe Marcus treating frequently in Valentia in Chapter 12?
3. What word in Chapter 12 refers to a flat quick bread baked or cooked from grain?
4. Who is the Chieftain of the hunting party that Marcus encounters in Chapter 14?
5. What is the purpose of the red coral bead that is adorned about the neck of the baby in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liathan give to Esca in Chapter 19?
2. What happened to the Legate of the Ninth Legion, according to Guern?
3. How do Marcus and Esca gain entrance to the gate of Borcovicus?
4. What is the significance of the bronze ring-brooch in the novel?
5. How and where is the Roman Eagle revealed in Chapter 14?
6. How is the ring described that Tradui displays in Chapter 15?
7. How is the character of Dergdian described?
8. What gives away Marcus and Esca's location when they attempt to hide in Chapter 18?
9. How do Marcus and Esca manage to steal the Eagle?
10. What is done with the Eagle in Chapter 20?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)