|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the villagers catch up to Marcus and Esca?
(a) The villagers ask if they saw traders take the Eagle
(b) They have to kill the villagers
(c) They search their belongings for the Eagle
(d) They are bound and taken back to the village
2. What does Esca buy for transportation?
(a) A horse and cart
(b) A chariot
(c) Two war horses
(d) Two shaggy local ponies
3. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Tribune Placidus
(b) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(c) Legate Stephanos
(d) Centurion Maximus
4. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the deer hunt coming up
(b) For the new moon
(c) For a Chieftain wedding
(d) For the boys being initiated into manhood
5. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
(a) A tall staff
(b) A small altar to Mithras
(c) A lean-to
(d) A temple to Artemis
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
2. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
3. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
4. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
5. Who has Marcus now become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be the symbolism of Cub's not eating in relationship to Marcus and Esca?
2. When Liathan accuses Marcus of deceiving the Epidaii how does Marcus respond?
3. Why did Marcus and Esca hope to find the holy place? Who accidentally helped them and why?
4. What does Esca suggest when it looks like they are going to be caught again, by the tribe?
5. What did Liathan give Marcus and why?
6. What do Marcus and Esca do about their military horses while running from the tribe?
7. Why do you think the Eagle is so important to both Rome and the Epidaii?
8. What does the old man tell Marcus about the Eagle?
9. What is the rite of manhood and how do the Epidaii celebrate it?
10. Why did Guern say he finally left the legion?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)