|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the insignia of the second legion?
(a) The Capricorn
(b) A jumping horse
(c) Two hawks in flight
(d) A lion
2. With whom does Cottia live?
(a) Her father and stepmother
(b) Her childless aunt and uncle
(c) Her mother and stepfather
(d) Her grandparents
3. In Chapter 3, after noises heard, what does Marcus order the cohort to do?
(a) To get the cohort into fighting position
(b) To settle down and sleep
(c) To saddle their horses
(d) To sleep with their weapons at hand
4. In the opening of the book, who is marching along a British road?
(a) Soldiers from Caledonia
(b) A tribe from north Britain
(c) The Auxiliary cohort of the Second Roman Legion
(d) A merchant's caravan
5. What happens to Marcus in the military?
(a) He is sent back to Rome, a hero
(b) He is promoted to first cohort
(c) He is made an administrator
(d) He is discharged because he is disabled
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esca's father do before he was enslaved?
2. What changes the Tribune's attitude towards Marcus?
3. What adorns the standard of the marchers?
4. What does the doctor tell Marcus about his injuries?
5. How long does it take for Cottia to return to the garden after Marcus meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Quintus Hilarion, the Pilus Prior Centurion tell Marcus, who is replacing him?
2. Why do you think Marcus and Cottia get along? What might they have in common?
3. How does Rome award the Second Legion and Marcus?
4. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
5. What can Marcus do about being discharged from the legion?
6. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
7. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
8. What happens when Marcus gives Esca his freedom and what does it symbolize?
9. What concerns Marcus's uncle about his leg and what does he do?
10. Describe what Marcus saw at the circus in the fight between the "fisher" and another man.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)