|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Uncle Aquila invited Marcus to spend his leave with him in Chapter 1?
2. What word from the novel refers to an open-roofed central court in an ancient Roman home?
3. What does the spear that Esca carries mark him as, according to the narrator in Chapter 6?
(a) A personal slave.
(b) A Centurion.
(c) A warrior.
(d) A freed slave.
4. Who commands the fort's one squadron of Dacian Horse, according to the narrator in Chapter 2?
(a) Centurion Pilus Prior.
5. What is engraved on the gold bracelet that is bestowed to Marcus in Chapter 5 (56)?
(a) "Pia Semper."
(b) "Semper Fi."
(c) "Ultum omniscium."
(d) "Pia Fidelis."
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose charge does Marcus leave Cub as he sets out on his mission in Chapter 10?
2. What Legion "had been Marcus's shining goal for as long as he could remember" (9) according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. Where was Marcus sent upon arriving in Britain in late autumn, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. What beloved game of Legionairies and gladiators does Marcus teach Cottia in Chapter 8?
5. Approximately how many men has Marcus's garrison lost (killed or wounded) by the end of the second attack in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcus consider doing in his future in Chapter 9?
2. What does Cottia tell Marcus when she appears in the garden in Chapter 8?
3. Who is brought in to examine Marcus's leg in Chapter 8? Why?
4. What information does Marcus learn of the conclusion of the battle in Chapter 4?
5. What does Placidus suggest as a reason for the disappearance of the Ninth Legion?
6. Where is Marcus being tended to in Chapter 4? By whom is he being care for?
7. What does the rose in the wine jar symbolize?
8. Who is visiting Uncle Aquila in Chapter 9? Why?
9. How does Marcus feel about the end of his career with the Eagles?
10. What bet with Cradoc does Marcus propose in Chapter 2?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)