|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the gladiator that Marcus buys?
2. Besides the spear wound what else is wrong with Marcus?
(a) His kidneys are destroyed
(b) He has a fractured skull
(c) His right thigh is shattered
(d) He has a broken nose
3. Who leads the cohort?
(a) No one
(b) Legate Dominon Tulla
(c) Cohort second Pontia
(d) Centurion Marcus Flavius Aquila
4. What was Cottia's father?
(a) A tribal chieftain
(b) A warrior of the northern tribe
(c) A horse breeder of the Iceni
(d) A hunter of wild bear
5. What does Esca show Marcus to support his position?
(a) A scar going down his front from a Roman soldier
(b) The number of Britains who have died due to Rome
(c) A map of Britain with Rome's positions
(d) A Celtic shield boss
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marcus believe the legion might be?
2. What kind of hunt does Marcus allow Esca to join?
3. What kind of rumor has the Legate heard about the ninth?
4. What does Marcus do about those who are approaching the fort?
5. Who does the uncle talk to about Marcus's leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Marcus and Cottia get along? What might they have in common?
2. Describe how Marcus fares after his heroic attack on the chariot.
3. What does Marcus learn from Esca about Esca's family?
4. Describe what happens when Marcus sees the patrol coming back to the outpost.
5. How might Cub's return be symbolic of Marcus's life?
6. Describe Cottia and how Marcus meets her.
7. Who is Esca, where did he come from, what does he say to Marcus and what does he become to Marcus?
8. What interests Marcus about Esca's recollection from childhood about Roman soldiers?
9. Describe what Marcus saw at the circus in the fight between the "fisher" and another man.
10. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)