|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who storms the outpost's walls?
(a) Tribesmen storm the walls
(b) A group of Druid priests
(c) No one storms the walls
(d) Another Roman cohort
2. What happens to Marcus in the military?
(a) He is discharged because he is disabled
(b) He is sent back to Rome, a hero
(c) He is made an administrator
(d) He is promoted to first cohort
3. What does Galarius do about Marcus's leg?
(a) Puts it in another splint
(b) Performs surgery to remove wood splinters still in it
(c) Says he has to amputate
(d) Wraps it in hot compresses
4. What does Marcus say Rome has brought to Britain?
(a) Order, justice and good roads
(b) Peace and properity
(c) Trade and money
5. What is his worry concerning the Eagle in Celtic hands?
(a) They would trade the gold for weapons
(b) That legions would disappear trying to get it back
(c) It would be a powerful totem against the Romans
(d) They would use it to recruit other Romans
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to rouse the local villagers and hunters to rebellion?
2. Where do Marcus and his uncle go for entertainment?
3. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
4. What does Marcus notice about the item in question #20?
5. What does his uncle say when Marcus says he has no pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Cub's return be symbolic of Marcus's life?
2. Write about the argument Esca and Marcus have about Rome and Britain.
3. Describe what happens when Marcus sees the patrol coming back to the outpost.
4. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
5. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
6. What can Marcus do about being discharged from the legion?
7. What is the wolf hunt for and how is Esca involved?
8. What does the Legate think happened to the Ninth Legion's Eagle and what does he fear?
9. Who is Claudius Hieronimianus and who does he bring to dinner with him?
10. What has happened to Marcus's family?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)