|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Marcus's father just been appointed as on his last departure, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) The Sixth Legion of Egypt.
(b) First Cohort of the Hispania.
(c) The Praetorian Guard.
(d) The First Legion of Egypt.
2. Where is Centurion Quintus Hilarion's home?
3. How do the gods show themselves, according to the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) In the sun.
(b) In new moons.
(c) In full moons.
(d) In the stars.
4. Who does Marcus tell to muster the squadron and hold them in readiness in Chapter 3?
(b) Centurion Lutorius.
(c) Centurion Esca.
5. Who enters to lead the Legate and Placidus to their quarters in the end of Chapter 9?
(d) Pilus Prior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does "draughts" refer to?
2. From what tribe has Cottia and her family descended?
3. What does Esca describe the passing Legion carrying as they marched North in Chapter 6?
4. What does Uncle Aquila say he used to hunt with Rufrius Galarius in Chapter 8?
5. Who was the legendary founder of the Mycenae and of the Perseid dynasty of Danaans in Greek mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is brought in to examine Marcus's leg in Chapter 8? Why?
2. Why does Marcus buy the slave Esca?
3. How does Marcus feel about the end of his career with the Eagles?
4. How does Esca use weapons to illustrate the differences between Roman culture and the culture of the Celts?
5. When and where is The Eagle of the Ninth set?
6. What rumor regarding the Eagle does the Legate describe in Chapter 10?
7. Where is Marcus being tended to in Chapter 4? By whom is he being care for?
8. How is Marcus's surgery described in Chapter 8?
9. What does Marcus consider doing in his future in Chapter 9?
10. Why does Marcus worry he may be making a laughing stock out of himself in Chapter 3?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)