|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many men has Marcus's garrison lost (killed or wounded) by the end of the second attack in Chapter 3?
(a) About 50.
(b) Over 100.
(c) About 30.
(d) Over 80.
2. Where was Marcus sent upon arriving in Britain in late autumn, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. What shocks Placidus about Marcus in Chapter 9?
(a) He is shocked that Marcus has not married.
(b) He is shocked to learn he was a Centurion.
(c) He is shocked that Marcus is alive.
(d) He is shocked to learn that he is related to the emperor.
4. What beloved game of Legionairies and gladiators does Marcus teach Cottia in Chapter 8?
(a) "Flash the Fingers."
(b) "Hide and Seek."
(c) "Jump and Run."
5. What is engraved on the gold bracelet that is bestowed to Marcus in Chapter 5 (56)?
(a) "Ultum omniscium."
(b) "Semper Fi."
(c) "Pia Semper."
(d) "Pia Fidelis."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cradoc's profession?
2. Where is the Legate of the Sixth Legion from, according to the narrator in Chapter 9?
3. What does Marcus offer in a bet to Cradoc in Chapter 2?
4. How many paces does Esca walk behind his master?
5. Who is referred to as the father of all ills in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Saturnalia Games and what entertainments are provided at the Games that Marcus attends?
2. Who is brought in to examine Marcus's leg in Chapter 8? Why?
3. What is Esca's history? For how long has he been a slave?
4. What happens when the chariots attack in Chapter 3?
5. How is Cottia described when her character is first introduced?
6. Why does Marcus buy the slave Esca?
7. Why does Marcus worry he may be making a laughing stock out of himself in Chapter 3?
8. Where has Marcus been assigned in Chapter 2? How many men does he command?
9. From what narrative point of view is the novel related?
10. How did Tribune Placidus insult Esca at the hunt in Chapter 6?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)