|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the opening of the book, who is marching along a British road?
(a) Soldiers from Caledonia
(b) The Auxiliary cohort of the Second Roman Legion
(c) A tribe from north Britain
(d) A merchant's caravan
2. How many other cohorts has the leader in question #5 lead?
(a) The cohort is his first command
(b) He lead the ninth cohort
(c) This is his third command
(d) He has been second in command twice
3. What was Esca's father's position in the tribe?
(a) Son of the chieftess
(d) No one in particular
4. What happened to Cradoc?
(a) He wasn't there
(b) He was exiled with his wife
(c) He was made a slave
(d) He was killed
5. What does Esca do doing the surgery?
(a) Restrains Cub
(b) Visits with Cottia
(c) Bring hot water and linens and assists the surgeon
(d) Goes on a hunt to get out of the house
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hunt does Marcus allow Esca to join?
2. What does the Legate mention about Eburacum in Chapter 10?
3. What does Esca say to Marcus's assertion about the good Rome has done for Britain?
4. Why are they hunting ?
5. What was the Greek net man called by the crowds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Esca show Marcus do illustrate the difference between Rome and Britain?
2. How does Cottia react to Marcus's upcoming surgery and how does Esca react once it's over?
3. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
4. Describe what Marcus saw at the circus in the fight between the "fisher" and another man.
5. Describe how Marcus fares after his heroic attack on the chariot.
6. Describe the local population's relationship with Rome.
7. Describe a testudo and what it does.
8. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
9. Describe the relationship between Marcus and Cradoc.
10. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)