|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marcus feel towards the Tribune?
(a) He likes him
(b) He admires him
(c) He hates him
2. In the opening of the book, who is marching along a British road?
(a) The Auxiliary cohort of the Second Roman Legion
(b) Soldiers from Caledonia
(c) A tribe from north Britain
(d) A merchant's caravan
3. In Chapter 3, after noises heard, what does Marcus order the cohort to do?
(a) To settle down and sleep
(b) To saddle their horses
(c) To sleep with their weapons at hand
(d) To get the cohort into fighting position
4. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
(a) Writing poetry
(b) Become a stage actor
(c) Train dogs
(d) A rich man's secretary
5. Who catches Marcus's eye sitting at the games?
(a) A blond, Roman lady
(b) The wolves who are fighting
(c) A young red-haired British girl
(d) A centurion he knew in Rome
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insulted Esca at the hunt?
2. What is one of the activities Marcus does when not drilling with the troops?
3. What did the collapse of the first chariot do in the fight?
4. What does the Legate mention about Eburacum in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Marcus see in the garden when playing with the wolf cub?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns Marcus's uncle about his leg and what does he do?
2. Describe a testudo and what it does.
3. Describe Marcus's uncle and Marcus's relationship to him.
4. Marcus and Esca takes Cub somewhere. Where do they go and why?
5. How does Marcus show his concern for his men?
6. How does Rome award the Second Legion and Marcus?
7. Describe Cottia and how Marcus meets her.
8. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
9. How might Cub's return be symbolic of Marcus's life?
10. How does Cottia react to Marcus's upcoming surgery and how does Esca react once it's over?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)