|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Marcus in the military?
(a) He is made an administrator
(b) He is sent back to Rome, a hero
(c) He is discharged because he is disabled
(d) He is promoted to first cohort
2. What does the doctor tell Marcus about his injuries?
(a) To be patient and that his injuries will heal
(b) That he will never heal
(c) That he needs more medical care in Rome
(d) That he will be able to fight again
3. Why are they hunting ?
(a) To relieve boredom
(b) The animals have been decimating the local flocks
(c) To prove who's best with a spear
(d) For meat for the winter
4. What did Esca's father do before he was enslaved?
(a) A charioteer
(b) A foot soldier
(c) A hunter
(d) A cook
5. Who else is coming with the guest?
(a) No one, he's coming alone
(b) A woman Marcus's uncle loved
(c) A member of his staff
(d) A former member of the Ninth legion
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus do about those who are approaching the fort?
2. What adorns the standard of the marchers?
3. Who is leading the answer in question #29?
4. How long does it take for Cottia to return to the garden after Marcus meets her?
5. When Marcus's uncle asks him about pain in his leg what does Marcus say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can Marcus do about being discharged from the legion?
2. Describe what happens when Marcus sees the patrol coming back to the outpost.
3. How might Cub's return be symbolic of Marcus's life?
4. Why do you think Marcus and Cottia get along? What might they have in common?
5. What concerns Marcus's uncle about his leg and what does he do?
6. What did Marcus's attack do for the Roman legion?
7. How does Marcus feel about his life on the eve of his surgery?
8. Explain why Cottia had not returned to the garden to see Cub or Marcus for three days and what Marcus does about it.
9. What does Marcus learn from Esca about Esca's family?
10. How does Rome award the Second Legion and Marcus?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)