|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
(a) A rabbit screaming
(b) An eerie whistling
(c) Birds fighting
(d) Wild boars fighting
2. What does Esca buy for transportation?
(a) A horse and cart
(b) A chariot
(c) Two shaggy local ponies
(d) Two war horses
3. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the new moon
(b) For the boys being initiated into manhood
(c) For the deer hunt coming up
(d) For a Chieftain wedding
4. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He killed the old man's brother
(b) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(c) He was wounded but didn't die then
(d) He flung the Eagle down and ran
5. What does Esca suggest?
(a) That Marcus stays and Esca gets the Eagle to the wall
(b) That Marcus leaves him to deal with the tribesmen
(c) That they take the Chief's son hostage
(d) That they bury the Eagle and make a run for the wall
6. What does the hunter do after he shares Marcus's camp?
(a) Talks about his wife
(b) Sneaks away
(c) Fights with Esca
(d) Invites them to his home
7. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
(a) It will be reformed
(b) It is too disgraced to ever be reformed
(c) It will receive another laurel
(d) It will be honored in Rome
8. How does Guern feel about the Eagle being stolen back from the tribes?
(a) He's sad that the Romans have it back
(b) He doesn't care one way or the other
(c) He's wary that he'll be killed
(d) He's enthusiastic
9. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
(a) In gratitude for being alive
(b) The old warrior sent the ring to give to Marcus
(c) To bribe him not to kill him
(d) To trade for the Eagle
10. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
(a) The Epidaii's holy place
(b) For signs of mass graves
(c) The Icni tribe
(d) The tribe of the Painted People
11. What happens when the villagers catch up to Marcus and Esca?
(a) They have to kill the villagers
(b) The villagers ask if they saw traders take the Eagle
(c) They search their belongings for the Eagle
(d) They are bound and taken back to the village
12. What does the item in question 143 look like?
(a) It was gold with a silver crest in the middle
(b) It was a plain gold band with an inscription
(c) It was silver with a black stone
(d) It has a large, flawed emerald and a dolphin badge
13. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) The hounds smell them
(b) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
(c) They drop a spear out the window
(d) A tribe member saw them go in it
14. How do Marcus and Esca get to the wall?
(a) They keep Liathan as a hostage
(b) They take the tribesmen's two best ponies
(c) They run, travelling at night
(d) They find a boat and follow the river
15. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
(a) Riders with hounds behind them
(b) A Roman legion come to rescue them
(c) Esca's remaining tribal people
(d) The wall
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
2. Two days later, still a long way from the wall, where do Marcus and Esca take refuge?
3. Where do they put the Eagle?
4. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
5. Who has Marcus now become?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)