|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
(a) Puts it in some rocks in a ravine
(b) Wraps it in a cloak and puts it in the saddlebag
(c) Hides it in a tree
(d) Conceals it in a hollow on the riverbank
2. Where do they put the Eagle?
(a) they throw it in the ocean
(b) They bury in a cemetary
(c) They conceal it in a hidden chamber in Uncle Aquila's house
(d) They hang it on the wall
3. Who has Marcus now become?
(a) The Invincible Anodyne of Demetrius of Alexandria
(b) Wea, Esca's brother
(c) A Druid priest named Sol
(d) Belva, a tribal leader
4. That summer what area do Marcus and Esca crisscross?
(a) The Province of Yaka
(b) The Province of Stutta
(c) The Province of Valentia
(d) The villages along the Yaka River
5. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
(a) He throws it into the woods
(b) He burns it
(c) He leaves it under the altar
(d) He gives it to Esca
6. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
(a) The tribe of the Painted People
(b) The Epidaii's holy place
(c) For signs of mass graves
(d) The Icni tribe
7. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
(a) It is too disgraced to ever be reformed
(b) It will be reformed
(c) It will receive another laurel
(d) It will be honored in Rome
8. What does the old man show Marcus?
(a) A Roman short sword
(b) A ring he took from the Legion commander
(c) The wings of the Eagle
(d) A Centurion's uniform
9. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
(a) A gold bracelet
(b) A message from Liathan's father
(c) The Eagle's wings
(d) His father's signet ring
10. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) He wants to make them slaves
(b) His wife is sick and needs help
(c) He is always curious about strangers
(d) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
11. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Tribune Placidus
(b) Centurion Maximus
(c) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(d) Legate Stephanos
12. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
(a) No one
(b) More tribal people
(c) A Roman cohort
13. What is the tune he begins to sing?
(a) A marching song popular with the legions
(b) A boat song for rowing
(c) A song about the Roman Senate
(d) A hymn to Mithras
14. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
(a) That the bearer was stupid
(b) That the bearer ran
(c) That the bearer was very brave
(d) That Marcus looks like him
15. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
(a) His gold earring
(b) His mother's wedding ring
(c) A bracelet of his father's
(d) The bronze ring-brooch from Marcus's coat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a warrior tell Marcus about the legion?
2. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
3. How do Marcus and Esca get to the wall?
4. What does Marcus do when they leave Guern?
5. When three tribesmen enter the tower, what do Marcus and Esca do?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)