|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose image is displayed on the sesterce of Marcus's in Chapter 12?
2. Esca tells Marcus that he told the man who bought their horses that they were sired from whose stables?
(a) Centurion Clodius Maximus's.
(b) Queen Cartimandua's.
(d) Claudius Hieronimianus's.
3. What is the name of the place that Marcus and Esca are given housing in the village in Chapter 16?
(a) Conn's cow-byre.
(b) Tantus's cellar.
(c) Beppo's chicken shed.
(d) Pilum's barn.
4. How many warriors from the tribe chase down Marcus and Esca after they have left in Chapter 16?
5. What more than anything else is said to bring a woman the envy of her neighbors in Chapter 13?
(a) A rickshaw.
(b) A gold ring.
(c) A bronze cauldron.
(d) A wheeled wagon.
6. Who raised the old fort at Trinomontium?
7. Who is said to have discovered Marcus's ring-brooch by the loch in Chapter 19?
8. How long ago does Guern say it was when the men of the Legion carried out the Procurator's order to dispossess the Queen of the Iceni?
(a) 10 years ago.
(b) 200 years ago.
(c) 20 years ago.
(d) 60 years ago.
9. What kind of trees are described in Chapter 11 as smelling like honey?
(a) Rowan trees.
(b) Maple trees.
(c) Apple trees.
(d) Cherry trees.
10. What is the only weapon of the tribesmen's that Marcus takes with him in Chapter 19?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A spear.
(c) A sword.
(d) A shield.
11. Why does Marcus say he and Esca need a place far from the village huts in Chapter 16?
(a) Marcus must perform powerful magic to heal Esca.
(b) Marcus will be calling in surgeons to attend to Esca.
(c) Esca needs peace and quiet.
(d) Esca's illness is highly contagious and deadly.
12. What song does the stranger with the deer sing when he approaches Marcus and Esca in Chapter 12?
(a) "Arms to Caesar."
(b) "The Flowers of Tarstevere."
(c) "The Girl I Kissed at Closium."
(d) "The Long Journey in the Night."
13. What is the name of the mare that Esca rides?
14. In describing the fight against the Red Crests in Chapter 15, the Chieftan's grandfather says that his tribe brought the enemy to bay in the bog country north of what place?
(a) The Catuvellauni.
(b) The Red Mountain.
(c) The Green Pasture.
(d) The Three Hills.
15. How many lives were lost in the recovering of the "winged god" (196), according to the Chieftan's grandfather in Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Marcus and Esca upset that they lost near the water in Chapter 16?
2. To what people does Guern say he now belongs in Chapter 18?
3. What gemstone is in the ring that Marcus receives in Chapter 19?
4. What does Esca replace his and Marcus's horses with in Chapter 17?
5. What does the Eagle represent symbolically to Marcus?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)