|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
(a) A temple to Artemis
(b) A small altar to Mithras
(c) A lean-to
(d) A tall staff
2. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
(a) That next summer
(b) Late October
(c) During the winter
(d) In the spring
3. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(b) He flung the Eagle down and ran
(c) He killed the old man's brother
(d) He was wounded but didn't die then
4. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
(b) His wife is sick and needs help
(c) He is always curious about strangers
(d) He wants to make them slaves
5. What happened to the Eagle of the Ninth Legion?
(a) A group of Epidaii tribesmen carried the captured Eagle north
(b) A young boy hid it in his hut
(c) It was lost in the mountains
(d) It was sent to Rome via a courier
6. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
(a) An eerie whistling
(b) Wild boars fighting
(c) Birds fighting
(d) A rabbit screaming
7. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
(a) Calluses on his palm
(b) The way he walks
(c) The scar from the chin strap of a Roman helmet
(d) How well he speaks English
8. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) They drop a spear out the window
(b) The hounds smell them
(c) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
(d) A tribe member saw them go in it
9. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the boys being initiated into manhood
(b) For the new moon
(c) For the deer hunt coming up
(d) For a Chieftain wedding
10. Where did Cottia go?
(a) Back to her mother's house
(b) To the spa at Aquae Sulis
(c) To Rome
(d) To northern Britain
11. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
(a) For signs of mass graves
(b) The Epidaii's holy place
(c) The tribe of the Painted People
(d) The Icni tribe
12. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
(a) His mother's wedding ring
(b) His gold earring
(c) A bracelet of his father's
(d) The bronze ring-brooch from Marcus's coat
13. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
(a) Puts it in some rocks in a ravine
(b) Hides it in a tree
(c) Conceals it in a hollow on the riverbank
(d) Wraps it in a cloak and puts it in the saddlebag
14. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To give travellers a place to rest
(b) To keep back mud slides
(c) To tame the forests
(d) To keep the northern tribes from invading
15. Why is Cub so thin?
(a) He was angry at being confined
(b) The wolf would accept food only from Cottia, who had been gone a while
(c) He has been running around too much
(d) He has worms
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
2. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
3. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
4. What do Marcus and Esca do that night after everyone goes to sleep?
5. What is the tune he begins to sing?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)