|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Guern think so much bad happened to the Ninth Legion?
(a) They were a rag tag unit
(b) Their Tribune was incompetent
(c) The Druids cursed them
(d) The Queen of the Iceni, Boudicca cursed the Legion
2. How do they elude the dogs?
(a) They leave some clothing in a out of the way spot
(b) They make a skunk spray
(c) They put wild lavender on their trail
(d) They slip into a river
3. What is the tune he begins to sing?
(a) A song about the Roman Senate
(b) A hymn to Mithras
(c) A marching song popular with the legions
(d) A boat song for rowing
4. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
(a) To carry a letter to his first wife
(b) To clear his name as a deserter
(c) To see the Eagle one last time
(d) To help the son he left in Rome
5. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) They drop a spear out the window
(b) The hounds smell them
(c) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
(d) A tribe member saw them go in it
6. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
(a) They ate too much
(b) They are too easily identified
(c) Their wind was broken
(d) It was close enough to the wall to walk
7. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
(a) His father's signet ring
(b) A gold bracelet
(c) A message from Liathan's father
(d) The Eagle's wings
8. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
(a) They returned to Rome
(b) They dispersed throughout Britain
(c) The tribes hunted the Legion all the way south
(d) They fled to Germany
9. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To give travellers a place to rest
(b) To keep back mud slides
(c) To keep the northern tribes from invading
(d) To tame the forests
10. What does Esca suggest?
(a) That they bury the Eagle and make a run for the wall
(b) That Marcus leaves him to deal with the tribesmen
(c) That they take the Chief's son hostage
(d) That Marcus stays and Esca gets the Eagle to the wall
11. Where did Cottia go?
(a) Back to her mother's house
(b) To northern Britain
(c) To the spa at Aquae Sulis
(d) To Rome
12. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
(a) That he accompany the Eagle back to Rome
(b) That the Eagle stay until the legion is reformed
(c) That the Eagle be melted down
(d) That the Eagle be buried
13. Where do they put the Eagle?
(a) they throw it in the ocean
(b) They hang it on the wall
(c) They bury in a cemetary
(d) They conceal it in a hidden chamber in Uncle Aquila's house
14. What do they see near Trinomontium?
(a) A wheat farm
(b) A forest that's never been cut
(c) A large oak fort
(d) The charging boar of the Twentieth Legion carved into a block of stone
15. What did the tribe call the Roman soldiers?
(a) Brown warriors
(b) Red Crests
(c) Evil invaders
(d) Yellow bellies
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hadrian's wall run?
2. What happens when the villagers catch up to Marcus and Esca?
3. What does the answer in question 127 mean as far as Guern is concerned?
4. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
5. What does the old man show Marcus?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)