|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
(a) He burns it
(b) He throws it into the woods
(c) He gives it to Esca
(d) He leaves it under the altar
2. When three tribesmen enter the tower, what do Marcus and Esca do?
(a) Kill them
(b) Get captured
(c) Spring a surprise attack
(d) Hide from them
3. Where did Cottia go?
(a) To northern Britain
(b) To the spa at Aquae Sulis
(c) Back to her mother's house
(d) To Rome
4. What does the answer in question 127 mean as far as Guern is concerned?
(a) That he has lived with Romans
(b) The man is a former Legionnaire
(c) That he learned Latin in Rome
(d) That he is a priest
5. What is the tune he begins to sing?
(a) A song about the Roman Senate
(b) A hymn to Mithras
(c) A marching song popular with the legions
(d) A boat song for rowing
6. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
(a) Hides it in a tree
(b) Wraps it in a cloak and puts it in the saddlebag
(c) Conceals it in a hollow on the riverbank
(d) Puts it in some rocks in a ravine
7. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
(a) That next summer
(b) Late October
(c) In the spring
(d) During the winter
8. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
(a) They fled to Germany
(b) The tribes hunted the Legion all the way south
(c) They dispersed throughout Britain
(d) They returned to Rome
9. Who is doing the answer in question 123?
(a) A black bird
(b) Guern the Hunter
(c) A northern tribesman
(d) Esca's brother, who has found him
10. What does a warrior tell Marcus about the legion?
(a) They heard of the legion but it was east of there
(b) They hunted down the remnants of the Ninth Legion
(c) They did not fight the Romans
(d) They war on a neighboring tribe every summer
11. That summer what area do Marcus and Esca crisscross?
(a) The Province of Stutta
(b) The Province of Valentia
(c) The Province of Yaka
(d) The villages along the Yaka River
12. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the new moon
(b) For a Chieftain wedding
(c) For the boys being initiated into manhood
(d) For the deer hunt coming up
13. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To tame the forests
(b) To give travellers a place to rest
(c) To keep back mud slides
(d) To keep the northern tribes from invading
14. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(b) He flung the Eagle down and ran
(c) He was wounded but didn't die then
(d) He killed the old man's brother
15. What does the hunter do after he shares Marcus's camp?
(a) Fights with Esca
(b) Talks about his wife
(c) Sneaks away
(d) Invites them to his home
Short Answer Questions
1. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
2. What does the item in question 143 look like?
3. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
4. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
5. Where do they put the Eagle?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)