|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
(a) Conceals it in a hollow on the riverbank
(b) Wraps it in a cloak and puts it in the saddlebag
(c) Puts it in some rocks in a ravine
(d) Hides it in a tree
2. How do Marcus and Esca elude the riders?
(a) By climbing a tree
(b) By leaping off a cliff into the water
(c) By hiding in a cave
(d) By slipping into a glen on foot while sending their ponies on
3. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) He is always curious about strangers
(b) He wants to make them slaves
(c) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
(d) His wife is sick and needs help
4. What does the hunter do after he shares Marcus's camp?
(a) Fights with Esca
(b) Sneaks away
(c) Invites them to his home
(d) Talks about his wife
5. Two days later, still a long way from the wall, where do Marcus and Esca take refuge?
(a) Up a tree
(b) In an old Roman signal tower
(c) In a cave
(d) In an old tribal village
6. What do Marcus and Esca do that night after everyone goes to sleep?
(a) They destroy the Holy Place
(b) They leave
(c) They steal the Eagle
(d) They kill everyone in the village
7. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
(a) A tall staff
(b) A lean-to
(c) A small altar to Mithras
(d) A temple to Artemis
8. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the new moon
(b) For a Chieftain wedding
(c) For the boys being initiated into manhood
(d) For the deer hunt coming up
9. Who is doing the answer in question 123?
(a) Esca's brother, who has found him
(b) Guern the Hunter
(c) A northern tribesman
(d) A black bird
10. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
(a) To clear his name as a deserter
(b) To help the son he left in Rome
(c) To see the Eagle one last time
(d) To carry a letter to his first wife
11. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
(a) A message from Liathan's father
(b) The Eagle's wings
(c) His father's signet ring
(d) A gold bracelet
12. That summer what area do Marcus and Esca crisscross?
(a) The villages along the Yaka River
(b) The Province of Yaka
(c) The Province of Stutta
(d) The Province of Valentia
13. What does Esca buy for transportation?
(a) A horse and cart
(b) Two war horses
(c) A chariot
(d) Two shaggy local ponies
14. How does Guern feel about the Eagle being stolen back from the tribes?
(a) He's sad that the Romans have it back
(b) He's enthusiastic
(c) He doesn't care one way or the other
(d) He's wary that he'll be killed
15. Why is Cub so thin?
(a) The wolf would accept food only from Cottia, who had been gone a while
(b) He has worms
(c) He was angry at being confined
(d) He has been running around too much
Short Answer Questions
1. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
2. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
3. What does Esca suggest?
4. Where does Hadrian's wall run?
5. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)