|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Marcus and Esca get to the wall?
(a) They find a boat and follow the river
(b) They take the tribesmen's two best ponies
(c) They keep Liathan as a hostage
(d) They run, travelling at night
2. What Chieftain asks them to his home?
(a) The Chief of the Painted People
(b) AThe Chief of the Taula tribe
(c) An Epidaii Chieftain named Dergdian
(d) The Chief of the Icni
3. What does the answer in question 127 mean as far as Guern is concerned?
(a) The man is a former Legionnaire
(b) That he learned Latin in Rome
(c) That he is a priest
(d) That he has lived with Romans
4. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Centurion Maximus
(b) Legate Stephanos
(c) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(d) Tribune Placidus
5. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To keep the northern tribes from invading
(b) To give travellers a place to rest
(c) To tame the forests
(d) To keep back mud slides
6. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
(b) More tribal people
(c) A Roman cohort
(d) No one
7. What is the tune he begins to sing?
(a) A hymn to Mithras
(b) A boat song for rowing
(c) A marching song popular with the legions
(d) A song about the Roman Senate
8. Where does Hadrian's wall run?
(a) From north to south Britain
(b) From Luguvallium to Segedunum, bisecting the country
(c) There is no Hadrian's wall
(d) From Rome to Britain
9. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
(a) His gold earring
(b) The bronze ring-brooch from Marcus's coat
(c) His mother's wedding ring
(d) A bracelet of his father's
10. How do they elude the dogs?
(a) They leave some clothing in a out of the way spot
(b) They put wild lavender on their trail
(c) They slip into a river
(d) They make a skunk spray
11. Why is Cub so thin?
(a) The wolf would accept food only from Cottia, who had been gone a while
(b) He has worms
(c) He was angry at being confined
(d) He has been running around too much
12. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
(a) Two days of fast running
(b) A week of hard riding
(c) It's within sight
(d) Five days hard riding
13. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
(a) The Icni tribe
(b) The Epidaii's holy place
(c) For signs of mass graves
(d) The tribe of the Painted People
14. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(b) He was wounded but didn't die then
(c) He killed the old man's brother
(d) He flung the Eagle down and ran
15. What happens when the villagers catch up to Marcus and Esca?
(a) They are bound and taken back to the village
(b) They have to kill the villagers
(c) They search their belongings for the Eagle
(d) The villagers ask if they saw traders take the Eagle
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the tribe call the Roman soldiers?
2. What does Esca buy for transportation?
3. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
4. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
5. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)