|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marcus show Guern to get him to confess?
(a) His own brand of Mithras
(b) His torn leg
(c) His hands
(d) His chin strap scar
2. What does the hunter do after he shares Marcus's camp?
(a) Sneaks away
(b) Invites them to his home
(c) Talks about his wife
(d) Fights with Esca
3. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To give travellers a place to rest
(b) To keep the northern tribes from invading
(c) To tame the forests
(d) To keep back mud slides
4. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
(a) A gold bracelet
(b) The Eagle's wings
(c) His father's signet ring
(d) A message from Liathan's father
5. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
(a) To see the Eagle one last time
(b) To clear his name as a deserter
(c) To help the son he left in Rome
(d) To carry a letter to his first wife
6. Two days later, still a long way from the wall, where do Marcus and Esca take refuge?
(a) Up a tree
(b) In an old Roman signal tower
(c) In a cave
(d) In an old tribal village
7. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Tribune Placidus
(b) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(c) Legate Stephanos
(d) Centurion Maximus
8. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
(a) During the winter
(b) That next summer
(c) Late October
(d) In the spring
9. When three tribesmen enter the tower, what do Marcus and Esca do?
(a) Hide from them
(b) Kill them
(c) Get captured
(d) Spring a surprise attack
10. Where does Hadrian's wall run?
(a) There is no Hadrian's wall
(b) From Rome to Britain
(c) From north to south Britain
(d) From Luguvallium to Segedunum, bisecting the country
11. How do they elude the dogs?
(a) They make a skunk spray
(b) They leave some clothing in a out of the way spot
(c) They put wild lavender on their trail
(d) They slip into a river
12. How does Guern feel about the Eagle being stolen back from the tribes?
(a) He's wary that he'll be killed
(b) He's sad that the Romans have it back
(c) He's enthusiastic
(d) He doesn't care one way or the other
13. What does the answer in question 127 mean as far as Guern is concerned?
(a) That he learned Latin in Rome
(b) That he has lived with Romans
(c) That he is a priest
(d) The man is a former Legionnaire
14. Who is doing the answer in question 123?
(a) A northern tribesman
(b) A black bird
(c) Esca's brother, who has found him
(d) Guern the Hunter
15. Who has Marcus now become?
(a) A Druid priest named Sol
(b) Belva, a tribal leader
(c) The Invincible Anodyne of Demetrius of Alexandria
(d) Wea, Esca's brother
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus do when they leave Guern?
2. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
3. How do Marcus and Esca get to the wall?
4. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
5. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)