|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Chieftain asks them to his home?
(a) An Epidaii Chieftain named Dergdian
(b) The Chief of the Painted People
(c) AThe Chief of the Taula tribe
(d) The Chief of the Icni
2. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(b) Legate Stephanos
(c) Centurion Maximus
(d) Tribune Placidus
3. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
(a) His gold earring
(b) The bronze ring-brooch from Marcus's coat
(c) His mother's wedding ring
(d) A bracelet of his father's
4. What do they see near Trinomontium?
(a) A wheat farm
(b) A large oak fort
(c) A forest that's never been cut
(d) The charging boar of the Twentieth Legion carved into a block of stone
5. What happened to the Eagle of the Ninth Legion?
(a) A group of Epidaii tribesmen carried the captured Eagle north
(b) It was sent to Rome via a courier
(c) A young boy hid it in his hut
(d) It was lost in the mountains
6. Why does Guern think so much bad happened to the Ninth Legion?
(a) Their Tribune was incompetent
(b) They were a rag tag unit
(c) The Queen of the Iceni, Boudicca cursed the Legion
(d) The Druids cursed them
7. What does Marcus do when they leave Guern?
(a) He promises gold to be sent
(b) He tells him he'll name his son Guern
(c) He salutes him and calls him Centurion
(d) He hugs him and calls him brother
8. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
(a) The way he walks
(b) Calluses on his palm
(c) The scar from the chin strap of a Roman helmet
(d) How well he speaks English
9. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
(a) That the bearer ran
(b) That Marcus looks like him
(c) That the bearer was stupid
(d) That the bearer was very brave
10. What does Marcus show Guern to get him to confess?
(a) His own brand of Mithras
(b) His torn leg
(c) His chin strap scar
(d) His hands
11. What does the Chieftain tell Marcus about his people?
(a) They wander throughout the north
(b) They like the Romans
(c) They bear the wolf totem
(d) They are the Seal People, the keepers of the Holy Place
12. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
(a) That the Eagle be buried
(b) That the Eagle be melted down
(c) That the Eagle stay until the legion is reformed
(d) That he accompany the Eagle back to Rome
13. What happens when the villagers catch up to Marcus and Esca?
(a) They search their belongings for the Eagle
(b) They are bound and taken back to the village
(c) The villagers ask if they saw traders take the Eagle
(d) They have to kill the villagers
14. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
(a) A lean-to
(b) A temple to Artemis
(c) A tall staff
(d) A small altar to Mithras
15. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
(a) He leads them through a haunted forest
(b) He gives them a plant to rub on them that messes up their smell
(c) He leads the men across a dangerous bog
(d) He takes them in a boat down the river to the wall
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man show Marcus?
2. Who has Marcus now become?
3. How does Guern feel about the Eagle being stolen back from the tribes?
4. What do Marcus and Esca do that night after everyone goes to sleep?
5. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)