|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Cub so thin?
(a) He was angry at being confined
(b) The wolf would accept food only from Cottia, who had been gone a while
(c) He has been running around too much
(d) He has worms
2. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
(a) He burns it
(b) He gives it to Esca
(c) He throws it into the woods
(d) He leaves it under the altar
3. Why does Guern think so much bad happened to the Ninth Legion?
(a) The Queen of the Iceni, Boudicca cursed the Legion
(b) They were a rag tag unit
(c) The Druids cursed them
(d) Their Tribune was incompetent
4. What does the hunter do after he shares Marcus's camp?
(a) Sneaks away
(b) Fights with Esca
(c) Invites them to his home
(d) Talks about his wife
5. Two days later, still a long way from the wall, where do Marcus and Esca take refuge?
(a) In a cave
(b) In an old Roman signal tower
(c) In an old tribal village
(d) Up a tree
6. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
(a) For signs of mass graves
(b) The Epidaii's holy place
(c) The tribe of the Painted People
(d) The Icni tribe
7. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) He wants to make them slaves
(b) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
(c) He is always curious about strangers
(d) His wife is sick and needs help
8. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
(a) He takes them in a boat down the river to the wall
(b) He leads them through a haunted forest
(c) He leads the men across a dangerous bog
(d) He gives them a plant to rub on them that messes up their smell
9. That summer what area do Marcus and Esca crisscross?
(a) The villages along the Yaka River
(b) The Province of Yaka
(c) The Province of Valentia
(d) The Province of Stutta
10. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
(a) Conceals it in a hollow on the riverbank
(b) Hides it in a tree
(c) Wraps it in a cloak and puts it in the saddlebag
(d) Puts it in some rocks in a ravine
11. What did the tribe call the Roman soldiers?
(a) Brown warriors
(b) Red Crests
(c) Evil invaders
(d) Yellow bellies
12. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
(a) Late October
(b) That next summer
(c) In the spring
(d) During the winter
13. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
(a) The scar from the chin strap of a Roman helmet
(b) The way he walks
(c) How well he speaks English
(d) Calluses on his palm
14. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
(a) A Roman cohort
(c) More tribal people
(d) No one
15. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
(a) A rabbit screaming
(b) An eerie whistling
(c) Wild boars fighting
(d) Birds fighting
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
2. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
3. How do they elude the dogs?
4. What do Marcus and Esca generally eat for noon break?
5. What does the Chieftain tell Marcus about his people?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)