|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the place that Marcus and Esca are given housing in the village in Chapter 16?
(a) Tantus's cellar.
(b) Beppo's chicken shed.
(c) Conn's cow-byre.
(d) Pilum's barn.
2. Where is the secret path that Guern leads Marcus and Esca through in Chapter 18?
(a) Across the forest trees.
(b) In a bog.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In a cellar.
3. What has the Chieftan's family been putting on their son's eyes in Chapter 14?
(a) Aloe vera.
(b) Deer lard.
(c) Toad's fat.
4. Where do Marcus and Esca drop off their horses upon arriving home in Calleva?
(a) The White Horse.
(b) The Black Raven.
(c) The Golden Vine.
(d) The Green Garden.
5. What is the name of Marcus's mare that he takes on his mission?
6. What word from Chapter 14 refers to honey mead made by the Celtic Druids?
7. What is the name of the Chieftan's maternal grandfather in Chapter 14?
8. What are Marcus and Esca upset that they lost near the water in Chapter 16?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) A ring-brooch.
(c) The Eagle.
(d) A signet ring.
9. Where is the sentry on the northern ramparts when he believes he hears horses' hooves in Chapter 19?
10. To what people does Guern say he now belongs in Chapter 18?
(a) The Iceni.
(b) The Metheglin.
(c) The Selgovae.
(d) The Procyon.
11. What is the name of Guern's wife?
12. Whose image is displayed on the sesterce of Marcus's in Chapter 12?
13. What is the only weapon of the tribesmen's that Marcus takes with him in Chapter 19?
(a) A sword.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A shield.
(d) A spear.
14. In describing the fight against the Red Crests in Chapter 15, the Chieftan's grandfather says that his tribe brought the enemy to bay in the bog country north of what place?
(a) The Catuvellauni.
(b) The Red Mountain.
(c) The Three Hills.
(d) The Green Pasture.
15. What did Rufrius Galarius provide for Marcus when he set out on his mission in the North?
(a) A box of salves.
(b) A pocket-watch.
(c) A train ticket.
(d) A horse and carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Marcus build an altar in Chapter 11?
2. What gemstone is in the ring that Marcus receives in Chapter 19?
3. What word in Chapter 12 refers to a flat quick bread baked or cooked from grain?
4. What loch do Marcus and the others pass in Chapter 14?
5. Who is the Commanding Officer that Marcus has the Optio take him to see in Chapter 19?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)