|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esca say he traded a black piglet for in Chapter 17?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A cloak.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A horse.
2. What is the name of the Chieftan's brother in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Marcus say he and Esca need a place far from the village huts in Chapter 16?
(a) Esca needs peace and quiet.
(b) Esca's illness is highly contagious and deadly.
(c) Marcus will be calling in surgeons to attend to Esca.
(d) Marcus must perform powerful magic to heal Esca.
4. What bird do Marcus and Esca encounter in their escape in Chapter 18?
(a) A starling.
(b) A dove.
(c) A raven.
(d) A chicken.
5. Where does Uncle Aquila say Cottia has gone for the winter in Chapter 20?
(d) Aquae Sulis.
6. What has the Chieftan's family been putting on their son's eyes in Chapter 14?
(a) Deer lard.
(b) Aloe vera.
(d) Toad's fat.
7. What song does the stranger with the deer sing when he approaches Marcus and Esca in Chapter 12?
(a) "The Flowers of Tarstevere."
(b) "Arms to Caesar."
(c) "The Girl I Kissed at Closium."
(d) "The Long Journey in the Night."
8. Esca tells Marcus that he told the man who bought their horses that they were sired from whose stables?
(a) Queen Cartimandua's.
(b) Centurion Clodius Maximus's.
(c) Claudius Hieronimianus's.
9. What is the name of Marcus's mare that he takes on his mission?
10. What is Guern doing as he whistles in Chapter 17?
(a) Leading a cow.
(b) Plowing his farm.
(c) Building a fort.
(d) Picking berries.
11. What does the Eagle represent symbolically to Marcus?
(b) A wealth of money.
(c) His brother's reputation.
(d) His father's reputation.
12. The Wall in the North is described as spanning from Luguvallium to where in Chapter 11?
13. What gemstone is in the ring that Marcus receives in Chapter 19?
14. Who do not dance at the Feast of the New Spears in Chapter 15?
(a) The warriors.
(b) The lords.
(c) The men.
(d) The women.
15. What do the Celts call Caledonia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Marcus and Esca upset that they lost near the water in Chapter 16?
2. What color is the harebell that Marcus observes in Chapter 18?
3. What more than anything else is said to bring a woman the envy of her neighbors in Chapter 13?
4. What is the name of Guern's wife?
5. What is the talisman shaped like that Marcus wears on his forehead in Chapter 11?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)