|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Legate Stephanos
(b) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(c) Centurion Maximus
(d) Tribune Placidus
2. What does Esca buy for transportation?
(a) A horse and cart
(b) A chariot
(c) Two shaggy local ponies
(d) Two war horses
3. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
(a) To bribe him not to kill him
(b) In gratitude for being alive
(c) The old warrior sent the ring to give to Marcus
(d) To trade for the Eagle
4. What is the result of the answer to question 164?
(a) They talk them into leaving them alone
(b) They are able to overpower all three men
(c) They are able to kill the men
(d) They show the men they don't have the Eagle
5. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the boys being initiated into manhood
(b) For the new moon
(c) For the deer hunt coming up
(d) For a Chieftain wedding
6. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
(a) No one
(b) More tribal people
(c) A Roman cohort
7. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) He wants to make them slaves
(b) His wife is sick and needs help
(c) He is always curious about strangers
(d) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
8. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
(a) That the Eagle be melted down
(b) That he accompany the Eagle back to Rome
(c) That the Eagle stay until the legion is reformed
(d) That the Eagle be buried
9. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
(a) The wall
(b) A Roman legion come to rescue them
(c) Riders with hounds behind them
(d) Esca's remaining tribal people
10. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To tame the forests
(b) To keep back mud slides
(c) To keep the northern tribes from invading
(d) To give travellers a place to rest
11. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
(a) It is too disgraced to ever be reformed
(b) It will receive another laurel
(c) It will be honored in Rome
(d) It will be reformed
12. What does the Chieftain tell Marcus about his people?
(a) They are the Seal People, the keepers of the Holy Place
(b) They bear the wolf totem
(c) They wander throughout the north
(d) They like the Romans
13. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
(a) A week of hard riding
(b) Five days hard riding
(c) Two days of fast running
(d) It's within sight
14. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
(a) A bracelet of his father's
(b) The bronze ring-brooch from Marcus's coat
(c) His gold earring
(d) His mother's wedding ring
15. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
(a) Calluses on his palm
(b) The way he walks
(c) How well he speaks English
(d) The scar from the chin strap of a Roman helmet
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
2. What happened to the Eagle of the Ninth Legion?
3. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
4. What does Esca suggest?
5. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)