|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chieftain tell Marcus about his people?
(a) They like the Romans
(b) They are the Seal People, the keepers of the Holy Place
(c) They bear the wolf totem
(d) They wander throughout the north
2. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the deer hunt coming up
(b) For a Chieftain wedding
(c) For the boys being initiated into manhood
(d) For the new moon
3. What do Marcus and Esca generally eat for noon break?
(a) Meat and cheese
(b) Cheese and bread
(c) They don't eat at noon
(d) Apples and cheese
4. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(b) He was wounded but didn't die then
(c) He flung the Eagle down and ran
(d) He killed the old man's brother
5. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) His wife is sick and needs help
(b) He is always curious about strangers
(c) He wants to make them slaves
(d) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
6. How does Guern feel about the Eagle being stolen back from the tribes?
(a) He's enthusiastic
(b) He doesn't care one way or the other
(c) He's sad that the Romans have it back
(d) He's wary that he'll be killed
7. What happened to the Eagle of the Ninth Legion?
(a) A young boy hid it in his hut
(b) It was sent to Rome via a courier
(c) A group of Epidaii tribesmen carried the captured Eagle north
(d) It was lost in the mountains
8. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
(a) A Roman cohort
(c) No one
(d) More tribal people
9. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
(b) They drop a spear out the window
(c) A tribe member saw them go in it
(d) The hounds smell them
10. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
(a) A week of hard riding
(b) Five days hard riding
(c) Two days of fast running
(d) It's within sight
11. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
(a) The tribes hunted the Legion all the way south
(b) They fled to Germany
(c) They returned to Rome
(d) They dispersed throughout Britain
12. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
(a) In the spring
(b) During the winter
(c) Late October
(d) That next summer
13. Two days later, still a long way from the wall, where do Marcus and Esca take refuge?
(a) In an old tribal village
(b) In a cave
(c) In an old Roman signal tower
(d) Up a tree
14. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
(a) He throws it into the woods
(b) He burns it
(c) He leaves it under the altar
(d) He gives it to Esca
15. What does Esca do with the Eagle?
(a) Hides it in a tree
(b) Wraps it in a cloak and puts it in the saddlebag
(c) Conceals it in a hollow on the riverbank
(d) Puts it in some rocks in a ravine
Short Answer Questions
1. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
2. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
3. How do Marcus and Esca get to the wall?
4. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
5. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)