|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the answer in question 127 mean as far as Guern is concerned?
(a) That he learned Latin in Rome
(b) That he is a priest
(c) The man is a former Legionnaire
(d) That he has lived with Romans
2. How do they elude the dogs?
(a) They slip into a river
(b) They put wild lavender on their trail
(c) They make a skunk spray
(d) They leave some clothing in a out of the way spot
3. What does Esca suggest?
(a) That they bury the Eagle and make a run for the wall
(b) That Marcus stays and Esca gets the Eagle to the wall
(c) That they take the Chief's son hostage
(d) That Marcus leaves him to deal with the tribesmen
4. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
(a) The way he walks
(b) How well he speaks English
(c) The scar from the chin strap of a Roman helmet
(d) Calluses on his palm
5. What does Marcus do when they leave Guern?
(a) He tells him he'll name his son Guern
(b) He promises gold to be sent
(c) He salutes him and calls him Centurion
(d) He hugs him and calls him brother
6. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
(a) To bribe him not to kill him
(b) In gratitude for being alive
(c) To trade for the Eagle
(d) The old warrior sent the ring to give to Marcus
7. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
(a) A bracelet of his father's
(b) His gold earring
(c) His mother's wedding ring
(d) The bronze ring-brooch from Marcus's coat
8. What Chieftain asks them to his home?
(a) An Epidaii Chieftain named Dergdian
(b) AThe Chief of the Taula tribe
(c) The Chief of the Painted People
(d) The Chief of the Icni
9. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
(a) A rabbit screaming
(b) An eerie whistling
(c) Wild boars fighting
(d) Birds fighting
10. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
(a) He gives them a plant to rub on them that messes up their smell
(b) He leads the men across a dangerous bog
(c) He leads them through a haunted forest
(d) He takes them in a boat down the river to the wall
11. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Legate Stephanos
(b) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(c) Centurion Maximus
(d) Tribune Placidus
12. What does Marcus show Guern to get him to confess?
(a) His hands
(b) His own brand of Mithras
(c) His chin strap scar
(d) His torn leg
13. How does Guern feel about the Eagle being stolen back from the tribes?
(a) He's sad that the Romans have it back
(b) He's enthusiastic
(c) He's wary that he'll be killed
(d) He doesn't care one way or the other
14. What does the old man show Marcus?
(a) The wings of the Eagle
(b) A Centurion's uniform
(c) A Roman short sword
(d) A ring he took from the Legion commander
15. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
(a) More tribal people
(c) A Roman cohort
(d) No one
Short Answer Questions
1. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
2. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
3. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
4. What do they see near Trinomontium?
5. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)