|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
(a) A gold bracelet
(b) His father's signet ring
(c) A message from Liathan's father
(d) The Eagle's wings
2. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
(a) To see the Eagle one last time
(b) To clear his name as a deserter
(c) To carry a letter to his first wife
(d) To help the son he left in Rome
3. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
(a) To tame the forests
(b) To keep back mud slides
(c) To give travellers a place to rest
(d) To keep the northern tribes from invading
4. Where did Cottia go?
(a) To the spa at Aquae Sulis
(b) To Rome
(c) Back to her mother's house
(d) To northern Britain
5. What do Marcus and Esca generally eat for noon break?
(a) Cheese and bread
(b) Apples and cheese
(c) Meat and cheese
(d) They don't eat at noon
6. What is the result of the answer to question 164?
(a) They show the men they don't have the Eagle
(b) They talk them into leaving them alone
(c) They are able to overpower all three men
(d) They are able to kill the men
7. What does the answer in question 127 mean as far as Guern is concerned?
(a) That he has lived with Romans
(b) That he is a priest
(c) That he learned Latin in Rome
(d) The man is a former Legionnaire
8. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For a Chieftain wedding
(b) For the deer hunt coming up
(c) For the new moon
(d) For the boys being initiated into manhood
9. What is the tune he begins to sing?
(a) A boat song for rowing
(b) A song about the Roman Senate
(c) A marching song popular with the legions
(d) A hymn to Mithras
10. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
(a) He is always curious about strangers
(b) The Chieftain's toddler son has an eye infection
(c) He wants to make them slaves
(d) His wife is sick and needs help
11. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
(a) It will be reformed
(b) It is too disgraced to ever be reformed
(c) It will receive another laurel
(d) It will be honored in Rome
12. How does Guern feel about the Eagle being stolen back from the tribes?
(a) He doesn't care one way or the other
(b) He's enthusiastic
(c) He's wary that he'll be killed
(d) He's sad that the Romans have it back
13. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) A tribe member saw them go in it
(b) The hounds smell them
(c) They drop a spear out the window
(d) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
14. How do Marcus and Esca elude the riders?
(a) By hiding in a cave
(b) By climbing a tree
(c) By leaping off a cliff into the water
(d) By slipping into a glen on foot while sending their ponies on
15. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
(a) They returned to Rome
(b) They dispersed throughout Britain
(c) They fled to Germany
(d) The tribes hunted the Legion all the way south
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
2. What does the Chieftain tell Marcus about his people?
3. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
4. Why does Guern think so much bad happened to the Ninth Legion?
5. What do Marcus and Esca do that night after everyone goes to sleep?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)