|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Cub so thin?
(a) He was angry at being confined
(b) He has been running around too much
(c) The wolf would accept food only from Cottia, who had been gone a while
(d) He has worms
2. What do they see near Trinomontium?
(a) A wheat farm
(b) A large oak fort
(c) A forest that's never been cut
(d) The charging boar of the Twentieth Legion carved into a block of stone
3. What does Marcus show Guern to get him to confess?
(a) His chin strap scar
(b) His hands
(c) His own brand of Mithras
(d) His torn leg
4. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
(a) Calluses on his palm
(b) The way he walks
(c) How well he speaks English
(d) The scar from the chin strap of a Roman helmet
5. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
(a) It will be reformed
(b) It will be honored in Rome
(c) It is too disgraced to ever be reformed
(d) It will receive another laurel
6. What does the Legate suggest Marcus do with the Eagle?
(a) That he accompany the Eagle back to Rome
(b) That the Eagle be melted down
(c) That the Eagle be buried
(d) That the Eagle stay until the legion is reformed
7. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
(a) A lean-to
(b) A temple to Artemis
(c) A small altar to Mithras
(d) A tall staff
8. What does the Chieftain tell Marcus about his people?
(a) They wander throughout the north
(b) They bear the wolf totem
(c) They like the Romans
(d) They are the Seal People, the keepers of the Holy Place
9. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
(a) To see the Eagle one last time
(b) To help the son he left in Rome
(c) To carry a letter to his first wife
(d) To clear his name as a deserter
10. What Chieftain asks them to his home?
(a) An Epidaii Chieftain named Dergdian
(b) AThe Chief of the Taula tribe
(c) The Chief of the Painted People
(d) The Chief of the Icni
11. What did the tribe call the Roman soldiers?
(a) Brown warriors
(b) Evil invaders
(c) Red Crests
(d) Yellow bellies
12. What do Marcus and Esca do that night after everyone goes to sleep?
(a) They steal the Eagle
(b) They destroy the Holy Place
(c) They kill everyone in the village
(d) They leave
13. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Tribune Placidus
(b) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(c) Centurion Maximus
(d) Legate Stephanos
14. Who do they meet up with when they come out of the river?
(a) A Roman cohort
(b) More tribal people
(d) No one
15. What do Marcus and Esca generally eat for noon break?
(a) They don't eat at noon
(b) Apples and cheese
(c) Cheese and bread
(d) Meat and cheese
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Chieftain invite Marcus and Esca to his home?
2. What does Marcus do when they leave Guern?
3. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
4. What is the purpose of Hadrian's wall?
5. What does Liathan give to Marcus?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)