|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 14 refers to honey mead made by the Celtic Druids?
2. Where does Esca sell his and Marcus's horses in Chapter 17?
3. In describing the fight against the Red Crests in Chapter 15, the Chieftan's grandfather says that his tribe brought the enemy to bay in the bog country north of what place?
(a) The Green Pasture.
(b) The Red Mountain.
(c) The Catuvellauni.
(d) The Three Hills.
4. Where does Marcus get hit by a probing spear in Chapter 18?
(a) In his shoulder.
(b) In his neck.
(c) In his foot.
(d) In his leg.
5. What is the only weapon of the tribesmen's that Marcus takes with him in Chapter 19?
(a) A sword.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A shield.
(d) A spear.
6. Where do Marcus and Esca drop off their horses upon arriving home in Calleva?
(a) The Black Raven.
(b) The Golden Vine.
(c) The Green Garden.
(d) The White Horse.
7. What does the Chieftan's father show Marcus that he took from his greatest battle ever in Chapter 15?
(a) A pocket-watch.
(b) A compass.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) A ring.
8. What problem does the narrator describe Marcus treating frequently in Valentia in Chapter 12?
(a) Marsh ophthalmia.
(d) Macular degeneration.
9. What false name does Marcus give to the guards at the North Gate in Chapter 11?
(a) Centurion Paulus.
(b) The Quartermaster.
(c) Lurorius of Lethe.
(d) Demetrius of Alexandria.
10. Why does Marcus say he and Esca need a place far from the village huts in Chapter 16?
(a) Esca's illness is highly contagious and deadly.
(b) Marcus must perform powerful magic to heal Esca.
(c) Marcus will be calling in surgeons to attend to Esca.
(d) Esca needs peace and quiet.
11. What are Marcus and Esca upset that they lost near the water in Chapter 16?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) The Eagle.
(c) A ring-brooch.
(d) A signet ring.
12. What animal is the hunting party that Marcus encounters bringing back to their village in Chapter 14?
(a) A boar.
(b) A goat.
(c) A deer.
(d) An elk.
13. Who raised the old fort at Trinomontium?
14. How long ago does Guern say it was when the men of the Legion carried out the Procurator's order to dispossess the Queen of the Iceni?
(a) 20 years ago.
(b) 10 years ago.
(c) 200 years ago.
(d) 60 years ago.
15. What loch do Marcus and the others pass in Chapter 14?
(a) The Loch Ness.
(b) The Loch of Icy Water.
(c) The Loch of Many Islets.
(d) The Loch of the Celts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Legionaries in Marcus's dream described in Chapter 12?
2. What kind of cap does Marcus wear in disguise in Chapter 11?
3. The Wall in the North is described as spanning from Luguvallium to where in Chapter 11?
4. What is the name of Marcus's mare that he takes on his mission?
5. Who is said to have discovered Marcus's ring-brooch by the loch in Chapter 19?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)