|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Marcus and Esca elude the riders?
(a) By hiding in a cave
(b) By leaping off a cliff into the water
(c) By climbing a tree
(d) By slipping into a glen on foot while sending their ponies on
2. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
(a) He leaves it under the altar
(b) He throws it into the woods
(c) He gives it to Esca
(d) He burns it
3. How do they elude the dogs?
(a) They slip into a river
(b) They put wild lavender on their trail
(c) They make a skunk spray
(d) They leave some clothing in a out of the way spot
4. What does Marcus do when they leave Guern?
(a) He salutes him and calls him Centurion
(b) He hugs him and calls him brother
(c) He tells him he'll name his son Guern
(d) He promises gold to be sent
5. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
(a) The Icni tribe
(b) For signs of mass graves
(c) The Epidaii's holy place
(d) The tribe of the Painted People
6. What do they see near Trinomontium?
(a) A forest that's never been cut
(b) The charging boar of the Twentieth Legion carved into a block of stone
(c) A wheat farm
(d) A large oak fort
7. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
(a) To bribe him not to kill him
(b) To trade for the Eagle
(c) The old warrior sent the ring to give to Marcus
(d) In gratitude for being alive
8. What happens when the villagers catch up to Marcus and Esca?
(a) They are bound and taken back to the village
(b) They search their belongings for the Eagle
(c) They have to kill the villagers
(d) The villagers ask if they saw traders take the Eagle
9. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
(a) That the bearer ran
(b) That Marcus looks like him
(c) That the bearer was very brave
(d) That the bearer was stupid
10. What does the item in question 143 look like?
(a) It was gold with a silver crest in the middle
(b) It was a plain gold band with an inscription
(c) It was silver with a black stone
(d) It has a large, flawed emerald and a dolphin badge
11. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He was wounded but didn't die then
(b) He killed the old man's brother
(c) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(d) He flung the Eagle down and ran
12. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
(a) That next summer
(b) In the spring
(c) During the winter
(d) Late October
13. What did the tribe call the Roman soldiers?
(a) Red Crests
(b) Yellow bellies
(c) Brown warriors
(d) Evil invaders
14. What does Marcus build while they are resting at noon on their first day past the wall?
(a) A tall staff
(b) A small altar to Mithras
(c) A temple to Artemis
(d) A lean-to
15. Where do they put the Eagle?
(a) They hang it on the wall
(b) they throw it in the ocean
(c) They conceal it in a hidden chamber in Uncle Aquila's house
(d) They bury in a cemetary
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
2. What do Marcus and Esca generally eat for noon break?
3. What is the result of the answer to question 164?
4. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
5. What does Marcus show Guern to get him to confess?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)