|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose is the festival Marcus and Esca attend?
(a) For the deer hunt coming up
(b) For the new moon
(c) For the boys being initiated into manhood
(d) For a Chieftain wedding
2. In Chapter 17, why did Esca sell their horses?
(a) They ate too much
(b) Their wind was broken
(c) They are too easily identified
(d) It was close enough to the wall to walk
3. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
(a) He gives them a plant to rub on them that messes up their smell
(b) He takes them in a boat down the river to the wall
(c) He leads them through a haunted forest
(d) He leads the men across a dangerous bog
4. What does the answer in question 127 mean as far as Guern is concerned?
(a) That he has lived with Romans
(b) That he is a priest
(c) The man is a former Legionnaire
(d) That he learned Latin in Rome
5. What does the old warrior say about Marcus and the last Eagle bearer?
(a) That Marcus looks like him
(b) That the bearer was stupid
(c) That the bearer ran
(d) That the bearer was very brave
6. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
(a) He throws it into the woods
(b) He leaves it under the altar
(c) He gives it to Esca
(d) He burns it
7. What does a warrior tell Marcus about the legion?
(a) They heard of the legion but it was east of there
(b) They war on a neighboring tribe every summer
(c) They did not fight the Romans
(d) They hunted down the remnants of the Ninth Legion
8. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
(a) The old warrior sent the ring to give to Marcus
(b) To bribe him not to kill him
(c) To trade for the Eagle
(d) In gratitude for being alive
9. What does Marcus show Guern to get him to confess?
(a) His own brand of Mithras
(b) His chin strap scar
(c) His hands
(d) His torn leg
10. What happened to the Ninth legion, in the end?
(a) They fled to Germany
(b) The tribes hunted the Legion all the way south
(c) They returned to Rome
(d) They dispersed throughout Britain
11. When do Marcus and Esca return to Calleva?
(a) During the winter
(b) In the spring
(c) Late October
(d) That next summer
12. What happened to the Eagle of the Ninth Legion?
(a) It was sent to Rome via a courier
(b) A young boy hid it in his hut
(c) It was lost in the mountains
(d) A group of Epidaii tribesmen carried the captured Eagle north
13. Who is in charge of the fort at Borcovicus where Marcus and Esca come to the wall?
(a) Legate Stephanos
(b) Drusillus, Marcus's old second with the Legion
(c) Tribune Placidus
(d) Centurion Maximus
14. Why is Cub so thin?
(a) He has been running around too much
(b) The wolf would accept food only from Cottia, who had been gone a while
(c) He has worms
(d) He was angry at being confined
15. What happens when the villagers catch up to Marcus and Esca?
(a) They search their belongings for the Eagle
(b) They are bound and taken back to the village
(c) They have to kill the villagers
(d) The villagers ask if they saw traders take the Eagle
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Cottia go?
2. Where does Hadrian's wall run?
3. What does Esca suggest?
4. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
5. How do Marcus and Esca get to the wall?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)