|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they see near Trinomontium?
(a) A large oak fort
(b) A forest that's never been cut
(c) The charging boar of the Twentieth Legion carved into a block of stone
(d) A wheat farm
2. What did Esca loose near where he hid the Eagle?
(a) His gold earring
(b) His mother's wedding ring
(c) The bronze ring-brooch from Marcus's coat
(d) A bracelet of his father's
3. How do the tribesmen know they are in the tower?
(a) They drop a spear out the window
(b) The hounds smell them
(c) They startle a raven and the bird takes flight
(d) A tribe member saw them go in it
4. Where do they put the Eagle?
(a) they throw it in the ocean
(b) They bury in a cemetary
(c) They hang it on the wall
(d) They conceal it in a hidden chamber in Uncle Aquila's house
5. Three days after buying new horses what do Marcus and Esca see?
(a) The wall
(b) A Roman legion come to rescue them
(c) Riders with hounds behind them
(d) Esca's remaining tribal people
6. What does Guern ask in return for leading them through the bog?
(a) To carry a letter to his first wife
(b) To help the son he left in Rome
(c) To see the Eagle one last time
(d) To clear his name as a deserter
7. What does a warrior tell Marcus about the legion?
(a) They hunted down the remnants of the Ninth Legion
(b) They did not fight the Romans
(c) They war on a neighboring tribe every summer
(d) They heard of the legion but it was east of there
8. What does Esca buy for transportation?
(a) Two war horses
(b) Two shaggy local ponies
(c) A chariot
(d) A horse and cart
9. What does Marcus see the last priest of the festival carrying out of the holy place?
(a) A face of a seal
(b) The Eagle of the Lost Ninth Legion
(c) A staff with a laurel on it
(d) A wounded Roman soldier
10. Who is doing the answer in question 123?
(a) Guern the Hunter
(b) A black bird
(c) A northern tribesman
(d) Esca's brother, who has found him
11. What does Marcus do with the tiny bird he carved from olive wood at home in Etruria?
(a) He burns it
(b) He leaves it under the altar
(c) He throws it into the woods
(d) He gives it to Esca
12. What does the Legate say about the Ninth Legion?
(a) It will be honored in Rome
(b) It will be reformed
(c) It is too disgraced to ever be reformed
(d) It will receive another laurel
13. In the morning near Trinomontium what do they hear?
(a) Birds fighting
(b) An eerie whistling
(c) A rabbit screaming
(d) Wild boars fighting
14. What clues Marcus in to Guern's identity?
(a) How well he speaks English
(b) The scar from the chin strap of a Roman helmet
(c) Calluses on his palm
(d) The way he walks
15. What does the old man say about Marcus's father?
(a) He was the last soldier to bear the Eagle
(b) He killed the old man's brother
(c) He was wounded but didn't die then
(d) He flung the Eagle down and ran
Short Answer Questions
1. After Marcus and Esca leave Guern, for what place do they search?
2. Why does Guern think so much bad happened to the Ninth Legion?
3. Why does Liathan give Marcus a gift?
4. How far are they from Hadrian's Wall when they realize the tribesmen will come for them?
5. How does Guern help Marcus and Esca?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)