|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Esca's father's position in the tribe?
(a) Son of the chieftess
(d) No one in particular
2. What does Esca return with from the hunt?
(a) A wolf cub
(b) Two dozen pheasants
(c) A wound in his knee
(d) A boar hide
3. When talking about his childhood what does Esca reveal to Marcus about Rome?
(a) That Rome and Britain's soldiers are similar
(b) That Rome will never completely subdue Britain
(c) He saw a Roman Legion march north
(d) That the tribes hate Rome
4. Who storms the outpost's walls?
(a) A group of Druid priests
(b) Another Roman cohort
(c) No one storms the walls
(d) Tribesmen storm the walls
5. What is one of the activities Marcus does when not drilling with the troops?
(a) Playing dice
(b) He goes on hunts
(c) Reading novels
(d) Driving wagons
6. What does the doctor tell Marcus about his injuries?
(a) That he needs more medical care in Rome
(b) That he will never heal
(c) That he will be able to fight again
(d) To be patient and that his injuries will heal
7. What is his worry concerning the Eagle in Celtic hands?
(a) They would trade the gold for weapons
(b) It would be a powerful totem against the Romans
(c) They would use it to recruit other Romans
(d) That legions would disappear trying to get it back
8. What do Marcus and Esca argue about?
(a) About slavery
(b) About the food at Marcus's uncle's
(c) What Rome has done to Britain
(d) About Cottia
9. What does his uncle say when Marcus says he has no pain?
(a) Calls him a liar
(b) Tells him to jump up on the garden wall
(c) Says that he's happy
(d) Laughs at him
10. What does Esca say to Marcus's assertion about the good Rome has done for Britain?
(a) There was no good
(b) That the price has been too high
(c) That Rome was a bully
(d) That Rome should have stayed home
11. How many bad harvests years has Britain had before the opening of the book?
(a) One year
(b) Ten years
(c) Four years
(d) Two years
12. What does the item in question 82 have on it?
(a) Two wolves
(b) A ship and anchor
(c) A Druid symbol
(d) A pattern that flows like wind and stars
13. How did the uncle know this man?
(a) He was a former comrade at arms
(b) They met in the circus
(c) He met him in the Senate
(d) They lived next door to each other in Rome
14. What will happen to the gladiator whose life Marcus saved?
(a) He'll rest and fight another day
(b) He'll be freed, he's a lousy fighter
(c) He'll be killed
(d) He'll be sold on the slave block
15. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
(a) Writing poetry
(b) Train dogs
(c) Become a stage actor
(d) A rich man's secretary
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus say Rome has brought to Britain?
2. What has been the result of the surgery Marcus had on his leg?
3. What did Marcus's uncle do before he retired?
4. In Chapter 3 noise is heard outside the walls of the Roman legion outpost. What was the noise?
5. What does the object in question #7 show?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)