|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what tribe does Esca hail?
(a) The Brigantes.
(b) The Belgae.
(c) The Atrebates.
(d) The Catuvellauni.
2. What shocks Placidus about Marcus in Chapter 9?
(a) He is shocked that Marcus is alive.
(b) He is shocked that Marcus has not married.
(c) He is shocked to learn he was a Centurion.
(d) He is shocked to learn that he is related to the emperor.
3. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a javelin that was commonly used by the Roman army and generally was about six feet long?
4. Where does Uncle Aquila say the only woman he ever cared for is buried in Chapter 5?
5. What does the garrison Surgeon give Marcus to drink after he awakens in Chapter 4?
6. What trait identifies Esca as a slave?
(a) A branding.
(b) A clipped ear.
(c) A chain on his neck.
(d) An earring.
7. Who was the legendary founder of the Mycenae and of the Perseid dynasty of Danaans in Greek mythology?
8. Who is the contractor's son who drives a chariot in Chapter 6?
(c) Lucius Urbanus.
9. Who is referred to as the father of all ills in Chapter 1?
10. What word from the novel refers to a civil officer or lay judge that administers the law?
11. Where was Uncle Aquila when his time fell due for parting with the Eagles?
(c) Roman Britain.
12. Whom does Esca refer to as "the Light of the Sun" (82) in Chapter 6?
13. What was Cottia's father doing when he was killed?
(a) Breaking a horse.
(b) Battling the Celts.
(c) Hunting boar.
(d) Sailing a ship.
14. Who is the master of the circus slaves that Marcus goes to see in Chapter 6?
15. How do the gods show themselves, according to the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) In the sun.
(b) In full moons.
(c) In new moons.
(d) In the stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the novel refers to an open-roofed central court in an ancient Roman home?
2. What is indicated by the appearance of the Eagle in the far North in Chapter 10?
3. What word from Chapter 9 means a feeling of unease or embarrassment?
4. Who goes to fetch Esca the slave and bring him to Uncle Aquila's home in Chapter 6?
5. What is initially found to be creating the noise outside of the fort in Chapter 3?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)