|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an oculist?
(a) A ear doctor.
(b) A palm reader.
(c) An eye doctor.
(d) A fortune teller.
2. Where was Uncle Aquila when his time fell due for parting with the Eagles?
(c) Roman Britain.
3. What does the word "Tophet" (40) refer to in Chapter 3?
4. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a javelin that was commonly used by the Roman army and generally was about six feet long?
5. Who will take command of the fort until Marcus's relief can be sent from Isca in Chapter 4?
(a) Centurion Pilus Prior.
(b) Centurion Drusillus.
(c) Centurion Herpinius.
(d) Centurion Clodius Maximus.
6. Where is the Legate of the Sixth Legion from, according to the narrator in Chapter 9?
7. Who is the contractor's son who drives a chariot in Chapter 6?
(c) Lucius Urbanus.
8. What does the garrison Surgeon give Marcus to drink after he awakens in Chapter 4?
9. Who is Marcus's second-in-command?
(a) Centurion Esca.
(b) Centurion Drusillus.
(c) Centurion Pilus Prior.
(d) Centurion Paulus.
10. What term refers to the elite unit of the Imperial Roman Army whose members serve as personal bodyguards to officials such as generals or governors?
(a) The First Senate Guard.
(b) The First Cohort of the Hispania.
(c) The Garden Guard.
(d) The Praetorian Guard.
11. What does Cottia say her aunt and uncle call her in Chapter 7?
12. What kind of spirit does Galarius bring for Marcus to drink after his surgery in Chapter 8?
(a) Ginger spirit.
(b) Spiced rum.
(c) Potato wine.
(d) Barley spirit.
13. What are the only adornments that Uncle Aquila allows on his walls?
(a) Colorful paintings.
(b) Wooden etchings.
(c) Celtic weapons.
14. For how long does Esca say he has been a slave in Chapter 6?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
15. Who is described in Chapter 2 as "a little red angry man who had missed promotion and grown overfull of his own importance in consequence" (19)?
(a) The Duty Centuron.
(b) The Quartermaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Uncle Aquila's elderly wolf-hound?
2. Who is the Cohort Commander that leads the Auxiliaries down the road in Chapter 1?
3. What rank are Legion Commanders almost always, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. What does Uncle Aquila say he used to hunt with Rufrius Galarius in Chapter 8?
5. How old was Esca when he became a warrior with his tribe?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)