|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take for Cottia to return to the garden after Marcus meets her?
(a) A month
(b) A week
(c) The next day
(d) Three days
2. When Marcus's uncle asks him about pain in his leg what does Marcus say?
(a) That he wished he'd had a better physician
(b) Stoically denies the pain
(c) That his leg is killing him
(d) That he can't sleep at night
3. What was Cottia's father?
(a) A horse breeder of the Iceni
(b) A tribal chieftain
(c) A hunter of wild bear
(d) A warrior of the northern tribe
4. What happens to the swordsman?
(a) Marcus persudes the crowds to let him live
(b) The net man kills him
(c) He stumbles and falls on his sword
(d) He kills the net man
5. Who storms the outpost's walls?
(a) Another Roman cohort
(b) Tribesmen storm the walls
(c) A group of Druid priests
(d) No one storms the walls
6. What does Esca show Marcus to support his position?
(a) A map of Britain with Rome's positions
(b) A Celtic shield boss
(c) A scar going down his front from a Roman soldier
(d) The number of Britains who have died due to Rome
7. What do her aunt and uncle call her?
8. How many bad harvests years has Britain had before the opening of the book?
(a) Two years
(b) Four years
(c) Ten years
(d) One year
9. What kind of hunt does Marcus allow Esca to join?
(a) Bear hunt
(b) Deer hunt
(c) Wolf hunt
(d) Boar hunt
10. What was Galarius's former position with Rome?
(a) The emperor's personal surgeon
(b) The senate's physician
(c) A provincial doctor
(d) Surgeon with the Second Legion
11. With whom does Cottia live?
(a) Her father and stepmother
(b) Her childless aunt and uncle
(c) Her grandparents
(d) Her mother and stepfather
12. Who is leading the answer in question #29?
(a) A Roman deserter
(b) Chariots of the Britains
(c) Some women from the village
(d) A Druid priest
13. What is Esca trying to show Marcus about Rome and Britain?
(a) That Rome is oppressive
(b) That Britains believe in freedom
(c) That Britains believe in self-expression
(d) That the two represent two different worlds
14. What does Marcus do before asking Esca to accompany him?
(a) Asks Esca to swear loyalty to Rome
(b) Gives Esca a horse
(c) Presents Esca with manumission papers, freeing him from slavery
(d) Gives Esca a new spear
15. What does the Legate mention about Eburacum in Chapter 10?
(a) That there is land there for Marcus
(b) That Rome plans to set up a new governor
(c) That it is still haunted by the disappearance of the ninth legion
(d) That the grape harvest was good that year
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marcus feel towards the Tribune?
2. In the fight between the net man and the swordsman who wins?
3. How long has it been, when his uncle calls another surgeon, since Marcus was injured?
4. How does Marcus recognize the man with the dinner guest?
5. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)