|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When talking about his childhood what does Esca reveal to Marcus about Rome?
(a) He saw a Roman Legion march north
(b) That Rome and Britain's soldiers are similar
(c) That Rome will never completely subdue Britain
(d) That the tribes hate Rome
2. What was the Greek net man called by the crowds?
(a) The fisher
3. With whom does Cottia live?
(a) Her father and stepmother
(b) Her grandparents
(c) Her childless aunt and uncle
(d) Her mother and stepfather
4. What will Marcus win if he is successful?
(a) A new bow
(b) A horse
(c) A staff of English oak
(d) A hunting spear
5. What seems to rouse the local villagers and hunters to rebellion?
(a) Stray holy men of the Druids
(b) The sight of Romans marching through the land
(c) The king of Britain
(d) A farmer who used to be a warrior giving speeches
6. What does Esca show Marcus to support his position?
(a) A Celtic shield boss
(b) The number of Britains who have died due to Rome
(c) A map of Britain with Rome's positions
(d) A scar going down his front from a Roman soldier
7. In the fight between the net man and the swordsman who wins?
(a) No one, they never fought
(b) It was a draw
(c) The swordsman
(d) The net man
8. How did Esca become enslaved?
(a) The clan rose against their overlords and lost
(b) He killed a Roman horse
(c) He was caught cheating at cards
(d) He stoled from a Roman legate
9. What is one of the activities Marcus does when not drilling with the troops?
(a) Reading novels
(b) He goes on hunts
(c) Playing dice
(d) Driving wagons
10. What happens to the swordsman?
(a) He kills the net man
(b) He stumbles and falls on his sword
(c) Marcus persudes the crowds to let him live
(d) The net man kills him
11. What is Esca trying to show Marcus about Rome and Britain?
(a) That Rome is oppressive
(b) That Britains believe in self-expression
(c) That Britains believe in freedom
(d) That the two represent two different worlds
12. What happened to Cradoc?
(a) He wasn't there
(b) He was exiled with his wife
(c) He was made a slave
(d) He was killed
13. How many men has the outpost lost in fighting?
14. Who is leading the answer in question #29?
(a) A Roman deserter
(b) A Druid priest
(c) Some women from the village
(d) Chariots of the Britains
15. What kind of rumor has the Legate heard about the ninth?
(a) That it never actually went north
(b) That it was slaughtered to the last man
(c) That the Centurion that headed it was still alive
(d) That one of the northern Celtic tribes keeps the Hispana's Eagle on display
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Esca's father's position in the tribe?
2. Who leads the cohort?
3. In Chapter 3 noise is heard outside the walls of the Roman legion outpost. What was the noise?
4. How did the uncle know this man?
5. How many other cohorts has the leader in question #5 lead?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)