|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes the Tribune's attitude towards Marcus?
(a) He finds out that Marcus's father was a Senator
(b) He finds out that Marcus is his cousin
(c) He learns that Marcus is a hero of the Second Legion
(d) He finds out that Marcus has a wolf
2. What was Esca's father's position in the tribe?
(b) Son of the chieftess
(c) No one in particular
3. How does Marcus recognize the man with the dinner guest?
(a) He saw him at the Saturnalia games
(b) They went to officer's school together
(c) He relieved Marcus at the Second Legion
(d) From Esca's description
4. What does Esca show Marcus to support his position?
(a) A map of Britain with Rome's positions
(b) A scar going down his front from a Roman soldier
(c) A Celtic shield boss
(d) The number of Britains who have died due to Rome
5. What does Cottia say about the surgery?
(a) She's sorry he has to have it done
(b) That is informed as soon as it's completed
(c) She wants to nurse him afterwards
(d) She wants to assist
6. What's the name of Marcus's wolf?
7. What does Marcus do about those who are approaching the fort?
(a) Prays for them
(b) Has the archers fire on them
(c) Yells at them to run away
(d) Takes 50 men to rescue them
8. What does the doctor tell Marcus about his injuries?
(a) That he will never heal
(b) To be patient and that his injuries will heal
(c) That he will be able to fight again
(d) That he needs more medical care in Rome
9. Who does Marcus believe the legion might be?
(a) His father's lost legion
(b) He doesn't think it was a legion at all
(c) That it was the legion sent to replace the Ninth
(d) The Eighth Legion
10. Who else is coming with the guest?
(a) A member of his staff
(b) No one, he's coming alone
(c) A former member of the Ninth legion
(d) A woman Marcus's uncle loved
11. How did the uncle know this man?
(a) They met in the circus
(b) He met him in the Senate
(c) He was a former comrade at arms
(d) They lived next door to each other in Rome
12. What will the gladiator be doing for Marcus?
(b) Writing letters, reading to him
(c) Body guard
(d) Personal body slave
13. What does Marcus think about the men of the village who were killed?
(a) That they were stupid
(b) That they were brave
(c) All eternity will not bring back the young men
(d) It was their fault for fighting
14. What does Esca return with from the hunt?
(a) A wolf cub
(b) A boar hide
(c) A wound in his knee
(d) Two dozen pheasants
15. What is Esca trying to show Marcus about Rome and Britain?
(a) That Britains believe in self-expression
(b) That Rome is oppressive
(c) That the two represent two different worlds
(d) That Britains believe in freedom
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esca's father do before he was enslaved?
2. What does the Legate mention about Eburacum in Chapter 10?
3. How many bad harvests years has Britain had before the opening of the book?
4. What does Marcus say Rome has brought to Britain?
5. What adorns the standard of the marchers?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)