|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did Esca know him?
(a) He fought him when his tribe rebelled
(b) He saw him at the games
(c) It's the man who was rude to Esca the day of the wolf hunt
(d) The man bought a horse from Esca's father
2. Who catches Marcus's eye sitting at the games?
(a) A blond, Roman lady
(b) A centurion he knew in Rome
(c) The wolves who are fighting
(d) A young red-haired British girl
3. What does the object in question #7 show?
(a) He is a freed slave
(b) He has achieved the Raven degree of Mithras
(c) He is a slave
(d) He belongs to Rome
4. What does Marcus say Rome has brought to Britain?
(b) Peace and properity
(c) Trade and money
(d) Order, justice and good roads
5. What adorns the standard of the marchers?
(a) Olive branches
(b) A bunch of wysteria
(c) A laurel wreath
(d) Nothing, it has not yet won any awards
6. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
(a) A rich man's secretary
(b) Writing poetry
(c) Become a stage actor
(d) Train dogs
7. What does Esca return with from the hunt?
(a) A wound in his knee
(b) Two dozen pheasants
(c) A wolf cub
(d) A boar hide
8. How did the uncle know this man?
(a) He was a former comrade at arms
(b) They lived next door to each other in Rome
(c) He met him in the Senate
(d) They met in the circus
9. In the fight between the net man and the swordsman who wins?
(a) The swordsman
(b) It was a draw
(c) No one, they never fought
(d) The net man
10. What does Galarius do about Marcus's leg?
(a) Says he has to amputate
(b) Puts it in another splint
(c) Performs surgery to remove wood splinters still in it
(d) Wraps it in hot compresses
11. What is Marcus awarded for bravery?
(a) A gold military bracelet
(b) Two horses
(c) A gold striped toga
(d) A silver leaf necklace
12. What does she say about visiting?
(a) She really liked playing with the wolf
(b) She wanted to come every day
(c) Her aunt insists proper young Roman maidens do not visit strangers
(d) She thought Marcus was cute
13. With whom does Cottia live?
(a) Her childless aunt and uncle
(b) Her mother and stepfather
(c) Her father and stepmother
(d) Her grandparents
14. What did Marcus's uncle do before he retired?
(a) A governor
(b) An administrator
(c) A senator
(d) A Legionnaire, a former camp commandant
15. What did the collapse of the first chariot do in the fight?
(a) Hit the Roman patrol and stop them
(b) Spur the tribes to greater fighting
(c) It stopped the others
(d) Sent the others into the wall
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes the Tribune's attitude towards Marcus?
2. What was Cottia's father?
3. What was Galarius's former position with Rome?
4. What does Marcus do about the new danger?
5. What does Esca say to Marcus's assertion about the good Rome has done for Britain?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)