|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beloved game of Legionairies and gladiators does Marcus teach Cottia in Chapter 8?
(b) "Flash the Fingers."
(c) "Jump and Run."
(d) "Hide and Seek."
2. What is the name of Kaeso's wife?
3. What does Marcus offer in a bet to Cradoc in Chapter 2?
(a) A pocketwatch.
(b) A bird.
(c) A ring.
(d) A brooch.
4. For how long does the garrison Surgeon say Marcus has been sleeping when he awakens in Chapter 4?
(a) Three or four days.
(b) One or two days.
(c) Two or three days.
(d) Six or seven days.
5. What does Cottia say her aunt and uncle call her in Chapter 7?
6. Who commands the fort's one squadron of Dacian Horse, according to the narrator in Chapter 2?
(c) Centurion Pilus Prior.
7. How do the gods show themselves, according to the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) In full moons.
(b) In new moons.
(c) In the sun.
(d) In the stars.
8. What does the Latin word "testudo" refer to?
(a) A tortoise.
(b) A dragon.
(c) A horse.
(d) A snake.
9. What is the name of the Legate of the Sixth Legion that visits Uncle Aquila in Chapter 9?
(a) Pilus Prior.
(b) Claudius Hieronimianus.
(c) Clodius Maximus.
(d) Centurion Paulus.
10. What trait identifies Esca as a slave?
(a) A chain on his neck.
(b) A clipped ear.
(c) An earring.
(d) A branding.
11. In whose charge does Marcus leave Cub as he sets out on his mission in Chapter 10?
(d) Uncle Aquila.
12. Who does Cottia insist Marcus send to tell her after his surgery is over in Chapter 8?
13. What display of submission does Cub show when he returns home in Chapter 9?
(a) He licks Marcus's feet.
(b) He goes and brings Marcus his slippers.
(c) He puts his lowered head between Marcus's knees.
(d) He rolls on his back and exposes his belly to him.
14. What did the Romans apply to their enemies' land so that crops would be destroyed?
15. Who is Marcus's successor that is sent in from Isca in Chapter 4?
(a) Centurion Cassius.
(b) Centurion Clodius Maximus.
(c) Centurion Drusillus.
(d) Centurion Pilus Prior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a javelin that was commonly used by the Roman army and generally was about six feet long?
2. What Centurion does the narrator say is overfond of using his vine-staff on his men's backs in Chapter 2?
3. What shapes on the shield-boss does Esca say expresses the nature of his people in Chapter 7?
4. What does Marcus tell his replacement commander he will do if he lets the Cohort go to ruin in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of the Surgeon of Marcus's garrison that tends to him in Chapter 4?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)