|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Cottia live?
(a) Her childless aunt and uncle
(b) Her mother and stepfather
(c) Her grandparents
(d) Her father and stepmother
2. What kind of wager does Marcus and the answer to question #16 make?
(a) That Marcus can't kill a boar with just him sword
(b) That Marcus can't break this black stallion
(c) That Cradoc can't beat Marcus in a sword fight
(d) That Marcus cannot drive the spirited quartet of Cradoc's chariot
3. What is Marcus's hope about finding the Eagle?
(a) That his father might be with the Eagle
(b) That he would find the Eagle
(c) If the Eagle could be found and returned, the Second Legion might be re-formed
(d) That the ninth is not all dead
4. What will the gladiator be doing for Marcus?
(a) Body guard
(c) Personal body slave
(d) Writing letters, reading to him
5. What adorns the standard of the marchers?
(a) Olive branches
(b) A laurel wreath
(c) Nothing, it has not yet won any awards
(d) A bunch of wysteria
6. What did Esca's father do before he was enslaved?
(a) A cook
(b) A hunter
(c) A charioteer
(d) A foot soldier
7. When Marcus's uncle asks him about pain in his leg what does Marcus say?
(a) That he wished he'd had a better physician
(b) That he can't sleep at night
(c) Stoically denies the pain
(d) That his leg is killing him
8. Where did the patrol that Marcus was trying to rescue go?
(a) Into the forest
(b) Ran to the chariots to help Marcus
(c) It was able to rush inside the fortress
(d) It stayed in the middle of the fighting until they were all killed
9. Who takes him on the answer to question #15?
(a) A Briton guide named Cradoc
(b) One of the men under him
(c) A Druid woodsman
(d) He goes with his cohort
10. What is his worry concerning the Eagle in Celtic hands?
(a) They would use it to recruit other Romans
(b) They would trade the gold for weapons
(c) That legions would disappear trying to get it back
(d) It would be a powerful totem against the Romans
11. How has the village been punished?
(a) The tribe was exiled to the north
(b) The huts are destroyed, and the fields are salted
(c) The women were sold into slavery
(d) All the males over 13 were killed
12. What do the rescuers form when they reach the answer in question #32?
(a) A circle
(b) A line to move against the enemy
(c) They don't form anything
(d) A new testudo
13. In Chapter 3 noise is heard outside the walls of the Roman legion outpost. What was the noise?
(a) Some kids playing
(b) Stray cattle
(c) The horses stampeding
(d) A celebration
14. How does Marcus recognize the man with the dinner guest?
(a) From Esca's description
(b) They went to officer's school together
(c) He saw him at the Saturnalia games
(d) He relieved Marcus at the Second Legion
15. How does Cradoc earn his living?
(b) Building small boats
(c) By hunting
(d) Cutting trees
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Marcus in the military?
2. Who comes into the house after the Legate and the Tribune?
3. Who catches Marcus's eye sitting at the games?
4. What did Maximus recommend for the fourth cohort?
5. What does Marcus do about the new danger?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)