|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cradoc keep in reserve away from Marcus?
(a) One war spear
(b) His brother's spear
(c) The gray stallion he rides
(d) A bear spear
2. What is Esca trying to show Marcus about Rome and Britain?
(a) That the two represent two different worlds
(b) That Rome is oppressive
(c) That Britains believe in freedom
(d) That Britains believe in self-expression
3. When does Marcus believe the gods show themselves?
(a) During a comet
(b) On full moons
(c) In new moons, seed-time, harvest and solstice
(d) When the water rises in the delta
4. Who comes into the house after the Legate and the Tribune?
(a) Cottia comes from next door
(b) A house servant reports a horse is lost
(c) Cub returns from the forest
(d) No one else comes in the house
5. What cohort did the leader's father command?
(a) First Calvary
(b) Tenth Cohort
(c) Fifth Regiment
(d) Ninth Legion
6. What does Esca show Marcus to support his position?
(a) A Celtic shield boss
(b) A map of Britain with Rome's positions
(c) The number of Britains who have died due to Rome
(d) A scar going down his front from a Roman soldier
7. From where did Esca know him?
(a) It's the man who was rude to Esca the day of the wolf hunt
(b) He fought him when his tribe rebelled
(c) The man bought a horse from Esca's father
(d) He saw him at the games
8. Where does Marcus go when he's discharged from the legion?
(a) Back to Rome
(b) He goes to live with his uncle
(c) To his brother's house
(d) To the legion's academy to teach
9. Who takes him on the answer to question #15?
(a) One of the men under him
(b) A Druid woodsman
(c) A Briton guide named Cradoc
(d) He goes with his cohort
10. In the opening of the book, who is marching along a British road?
(a) A tribe from north Britain
(b) A merchant's caravan
(c) The Auxiliary cohort of the Second Roman Legion
(d) Soldiers from Caledonia
11. Where do Marcus and his uncle go for entertainment?
(a) To the ocean
(b) To hike the mountains
(c) To Rome
(d) The Saturnalia Games
12. What do the rescuers form when they reach the answer in question #32?
(a) A circle
(b) They don't form anything
(c) A new testudo
(d) A line to move against the enemy
13. What does Cottia say about the surgery?
(a) She's sorry he has to have it done
(b) That is informed as soon as it's completed
(c) She wants to nurse him afterwards
(d) She wants to assist
14. What does Marcus notice about the item in question #20?
(a) The heron's feathers decorating the spear are new
(b) It is painted black with white stripes
(c) It has a bow in it
(d) The spear is shorter than the one Marcus takes
15. What did Marcus's uncle do before he retired?
(a) A governor
(b) A senator
(c) A Legionnaire, a former camp commandant
(d) An administrator
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus think about the men of the village who were killed?
2. What does the leader have on his face between his brows?
3. What do her aunt and uncle call her?
4. Who does Marcus see in the garden when playing with the wolf cub?
5. Who does Marcus believe the legion might be?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)