|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cottia say her aunt and uncle call her in Chapter 7?
2. What former Roman province is Marcus setting out for in his mission in Chapter 10?
3. What is the name of Cottia's nurse?
4. Who is described in Chapter 2 as "a little red angry man who had missed promotion and grown overfull of his own importance in consequence" (19)?
(a) The Quartermaster.
(d) The Duty Centuron.
5. What kind of spirit does Galarius bring for Marcus to drink after his surgery in Chapter 8?
(a) Barley spirit.
(b) Potato wine.
(c) Spiced rum.
(d) Ginger spirit.
6. Who will take command of the fort until Marcus's relief can be sent from Isca in Chapter 4?
(a) Centurion Pilus Prior.
(b) Centurion Herpinius.
(c) Centurion Drusillus.
(d) Centurion Clodius Maximus.
7. What is the name of the book that Uncle Aquila has been writing for ten years, according to the narrator in Chapter 5?
(a) The Times of Julius Caesar.
(b) The History of Siege Warfare.
(c) The Conquests of the Roman Empire.
(d) The Strategies of Celtic Warfare.
8. What trait identifies Esca as a slave?
(a) An earring.
(b) A branding.
(c) A chain on his neck.
(d) A clipped ear.
9. What term refers to the elite unit of the Imperial Roman Army whose members serve as personal bodyguards to officials such as generals or governors?
(a) The Garden Guard.
(b) The First Cohort of the Hispania.
(c) The Praetorian Guard.
(d) The First Senate Guard.
10. What is Cradoc's profession?
(a) He is a jailer.
(b) He is a baker and a money-lender.
(c) He is a bounty hunter.
(d) He is a hunter and horse-dealer.
11. Where does Centurion Drusillus suggest calling in reinforcements from in Chapter 3?
12. Approximately how long should it take reinforcements to reach Marcus's garrison after the smoke signal has been sent up in Chapter 3?
(a) Nine to ten days.
(b) Two to three days.
(c) Four to five days.
(d) Five to six days.
13. What does the word "cockcrow" (44) refer to in Chapter 4?
14. What is the name of the Legate of the Sixth Legion that visits Uncle Aquila in Chapter 9?
(a) Claudius Hieronimianus.
(b) Pilus Prior.
(c) Centurion Paulus.
(d) Clodius Maximus.
15. What word from Chapter 9 means a feeling of unease or embarrassment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Uncle Aquila when his time fell due for parting with the Eagles?
2. What does Marcus offer in a bet to Cradoc in Chapter 2?
3. How is Cub's collar described?
4. From what tribe has Cottia and her family descended?
5. In how many days' time does Placidus say he will board the galley in Chapter 9?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)