|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Galarius's former position with Rome?
(a) A provincial doctor
(b) The senate's physician
(c) The emperor's personal surgeon
(d) Surgeon with the Second Legion
2. When talking about his childhood what does Esca reveal to Marcus about Rome?
(a) That the tribes hate Rome
(b) That Rome and Britain's soldiers are similar
(c) He saw a Roman Legion march north
(d) That Rome will never completely subdue Britain
3. What does Marcus think about the men of the village who were killed?
(a) That they were stupid
(b) That they were brave
(c) It was their fault for fighting
(d) All eternity will not bring back the young men
4. How long does it take for Cottia to return to the garden after Marcus meets her?
(a) A month
(b) The next day
(c) Three days
(d) A week
5. In Chapter 9, Marcus's uncle is expecting a dinner guest. Who is it?
(a) Marcus's father
(b) Marcus's brother
(c) An old friend from childhood
(d) The Legate of the Sixth Legion
6. When does Marcus believe the gods show themselves?
(a) When the water rises in the delta
(b) In new moons, seed-time, harvest and solstice
(c) During a comet
(d) On full moons
7. Who does Marcus see approaching the fort?
(a) Another tribe
(b) A group of Druids welding magic
(c) Another Roman legion
(d) A half Century patrol
8. What does Marcus think he might have to do for work?
(a) Become a stage actor
(b) Train dogs
(c) Writing poetry
(d) A rich man's secretary
9. Who planted the answer to question #13 and why?
(a) A homesick former commander
(b) A soldier whose brother was killed
(c) The wife of the present commander
(d) No one knows how it got there
10. What kind of rumor has the Legate heard about the ninth?
(a) That it was slaughtered to the last man
(b) That it never actually went north
(c) That one of the northern Celtic tribes keeps the Hispana's Eagle on display
(d) That the Centurion that headed it was still alive
11. In the opening of the book, who is marching along a British road?
(a) A merchant's caravan
(b) A tribe from north Britain
(c) Soldiers from Caledonia
(d) The Auxiliary cohort of the Second Roman Legion
12. What will the gladiator be doing for Marcus?
(a) Writing letters, reading to him
(b) Personal body slave
(c) Body guard
13. What does Marcus say Rome has brought to Britain?
(b) Order, justice and good roads
(c) Peace and properity
(d) Trade and money
14. What was Cottia's father?
(a) A hunter of wild bear
(b) A warrior of the northern tribe
(c) A tribal chieftain
(d) A horse breeder of the Iceni
15. What happens to the swordsman?
(a) He stumbles and falls on his sword
(b) The net man kills him
(c) Marcus persudes the crowds to let him live
(d) He kills the net man
Short Answer Questions
1. In the fight between the net man and the swordsman who wins?
2. What does Marcus's uncle do about his request in question 87?
3. What is his worry concerning the Eagle in Celtic hands?
4. What did the collapse of the first chariot do in the fight?
5. Who storms the outpost's walls?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)