|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: "Esca".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Commander of the relief force that has arrived to help Marcus's battalion fight the tribesmen in Chapter 4?
(a) Centurion Clodius Maximus.
(b) Centurion Drusillus.
(c) Centurion Pilus Prior.
(d) Centurion Herpinius.
2. What does the word "Tophet" (40) refer to in Chapter 3?
3. Who is described in Chapter 2 as "a little red angry man who had missed promotion and grown overfull of his own importance in consequence" (19)?
(b) The Duty Centuron.
(c) The Quartermaster.
4. How do the gods show themselves, according to the narrator in Chapter 3?
(a) In new moons.
(b) In the stars.
(c) In full moons.
(d) In the sun.
5. What is Cradoc's profession?
(a) He is a bounty hunter.
(b) He is a baker and a money-lender.
(c) He is a jailer.
(d) He is a hunter and horse-dealer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bird does Marcus observe when he first awakens in Chapter 4?
2. When does the narrator say is always the time to look for trouble in Chapter 2?
3. What word from the novel refers to Celtic peoples inhabiting present day France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland and other areas of Europe?
4. Whose name is chanted by Marcus's battalion as they drive at the tribesmen with swords in Chapter 3?
5. What word in Chapter 6 refers to an ancient Roman coin that equals one quarter of a denarius?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)