Chapter 1 Frontier Fort
• The Eagle of the Ninth is the saga of Marcus Flavius Aquila, a young Roman Centurion.
• When Marcus is wounded, he decides to rescue the totem of his father's Lost Legion, the "unlucky Ninth."
• The Auxiliary cohort of the Second Roman Legion marches tirelessly along a modest British road.
• The cohort is newly joined, superbly trained but lacking any experience in battle. Its leader is Centurion Marcus Flavius Aquila.
• His father was a Centurion before him. His Legion marched out one day to quell a Caledonian uprising and was never heard of again.
• Marcus has asked to be assigned to Britain, because he hopes to learn something of his father's fate.
• The cohort tops a gentle rise, and they see the tiny British town clustered around the Roman fortress.
• Marcus greets Quintus Hilarion, the Pilus Prior Centurion he is replacing. Quintus is eager to go...
This section contains 3,328 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)