* The Eagle of the Ninth is the saga of Marcus Flavius Aquila, a young Roman Centurion.
* When Marcus is wounded, he decides to rescue the totem of his father's Lost Legion, the "unlucky Ninth."
* The Auxiliary cohort of the Second Roman Legion marches tirelessly along a modest British road.
* The cohort is newly joined, superbly trained but lacking any experience in battle. Its leader is Centurion Marcus Flavius Aquila.
* His father was a Centurion before him. His Legion marched out one day to quell a Caledonian uprising and was never heard of again.
* Marcus has asked to be assigned to Britain, because he hopes to learn something of his father's fate.
* The cohort tops a gentle rise, and they see the tiny British town clustered around the Roman fortress.
* Marcus greets Quintus Hilarion, the Pilus Prior Centurion he is replacing. Quintus is eager to go...
This section contains 3,328 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)