|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the miners in Polk find in the mines?
2. What was the initial problem with Zora getting her book published?
3. When did Zora begin to discuss her love life in her book?
4. What was the primary rumor about Big Sweet?
5. While at Barnard, Zora's work and school lives began to ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the phrase "My people! My people!" used and why?
2. How does Zora address "the race problem" in her work? Why does she approach it as she does?
3. How are Zora and Fanny Hurst compatible? Why did they make good friends?
4. Why was Ethel Waters a challenge to befriend?
5. How did Zora pursue a friendship with Ethel Waters? Why was she eager to befriend Ethel?
6. What was special about John Hurston's portrait of hell?
7. Why did Zora's relationships fail?
8. Why was Zora's new writing career challenging for her financially? How did she overcome it?
9. Was Leon Walter Young notorious? Why?
10. What opportunity did Nassau afford Zora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zora often reverts back to her youthful perspective to analyze situations. Discuss Zora's perception. What do we learn about Zora by seeing her youth and adulthood side by side?
Essay Topic 2
Zora explains she doesn't like to write about the "race problem." Discuss Zora's views on race sensation and how she treats race in her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Zora, although popular, has had her share of bad relationships and encounters. She often offers commentary on other people's relationships, such as the one between her mother and grandmother. Discuss Zora in regard to grudges and forgiveness.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)