|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zora chose not to approach Ethel as a _____.
2. What did the miners in Polk find in the mines?
3. What does Zora exhibit as a common language tool among Southerners?
4. For how long could John Hurston's revivals go?
5. What role did Big Sweet play in Zora's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Zora's early romantic life, what was her nature? Why was she this way?
2. Why did Zora have conflicted feelings towards the church?
3. Why was Zora's relationship with P.M.P a trial of her will and nature?
4. Why was Ethel Waters a challenge to befriend?
5. How did the miners in Polk County get a history lesson?
6. What was the argument between the whore and prostitute in Polk County? Why does Zora single this instance out?
7. What was special about John Hurston's portrait of hell?
8. Why did Zora have to flee Polk County?
9. What was Zora's initial failure in her folktale project? How was this received?
10. Were Zora's school and work life beginning to blend at Barnard? Was this a good combination for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance that Zora's folktale research had on her life.
Essay Topic 2
Zora often reverts back to her youthful perspective to analyze situations. Discuss Zora's perception. What do we learn about Zora by seeing her youth and adulthood side by side?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effect of the surrogate mothers and fathers on Zora's life.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)