|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the primary rumor about Big Sweet?
2. John Hurston claimed the magma layer of the earth was __________________.
3. What "game" did Fanny play at?
4. What was the initial problem with Zora getting her book published?
5. To whom did Leon Walter Young not cow-tow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Zora gain her lingual abilities? How did these abilities aid her and her father's careers?
2. How did Zora pursue a friendship with Ethel Waters? Why was she eager to befriend Ethel?
3. Was Leon Walter Young notorious? Why?
4. Did Zora find that there is a quintessential black person? A white person?
5. What was the argument between the whore and prostitute in Polk County? Why does Zora single this instance out?
6. What was the primary dysfunction in Zora and P.M.P's relationship? Why did it end?
7. Why was Zora's relationship with P.M.P a trial of her will and nature?
8. Through showing her friendships with Ethel Waters and Fanny Hurst, what is Zora communicating to the reader?
9. What was Zora's initial failure in her folktale project? How was this received?
10. Why was Ethel Waters a challenge to befriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Zora's friendships. What does she learn about life and her own self from friendships? What can we learn about her from the friendships?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eatonville, Florida, in what it embodies and instills in Zora's life in terms of race, society, and art. How did it affect her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of P.M.P and how this relationship (and break up) embodied the essence of Zora.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)