|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To describe the social makeup of Polk County, Zora details dancing and ______.
2. How did Dr. Boas receive Zora's failure?
3. What did Zora's relationship with P.M.P try?
4. What aided Zora's creativity in her life?
5. While discussing distinctions within her own race, she explains that educated people ______ raucous people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zora have to flee Polk County?
2. How did the miners in Polk County get a history lesson?
3. Why was Zora's new writing career challenging for her financially? How did she overcome it?
4. Why was Ethel Waters a challenge to befriend?
5. How are Big Sweet and Zora similar?
6. Where did Zora gain her lingual abilities? How did these abilities aid her and her father's careers?
7. In Zora's early romantic life, what was her nature? Why was she this way?
8. Why was Zora's relationship with P.M.P a trial of her will and nature?
9. What was special about John Hurston's portrait of hell?
10. Through showing her friendships with Ethel Waters and Fanny Hurst, what is Zora communicating to the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect of the surrogate mothers and fathers on Zora's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Zora's approach to men in her romantic life and how this ties to events prior to her maturity.
Essay Topic 3
Zora explains she doesn't like to write about the "race problem." Discuss Zora's views on race sensation and how she treats race in her writing.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)