|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In New Orleans, Zora became involved in ______.
(a) Volunteer work.
(c) A gang.
(d) The church.
2. What did the miners in Polk find in the mines?
(b) A body.
(c) Relics of Earth's history.
(d) People hiding.
3. What defined the political makeup of Polk County?
4. Zora's father is an expert at _________________.
(a) Getting people to come to church.
(b) Convincing people of his ideas.
(c) Getting others to repent.
(d) Getting people to convert.
5. What was Zora's only bitter feeling about the publication of her first book?
(a) She felt overly assisted.
(b) She wished it had been longer.
(c) She dedicated it to a man who left her later.
(d) Her father didn't read it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zora feel about the Roosevelts?
2. What kind of men was Zora attracted to?
3. Zora describes her father's revivals as ______.
4. What attracted Zora to P.M.P?
5. John Hurston claimed the magma layer of the earth was __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zora have conflicted feelings towards the church?
2. When is the phrase "My people! My people!" used and why?
3. What was special about John Hurston's portrait of hell?
4. Why was Ethel Waters a challenge to befriend?
5. How does Zora address "the race problem" in her work? Why does she approach it as she does?
6. Where did Zora gain her lingual abilities? How did these abilities aid her and her father's careers?
7. Were Zora's school and work life beginning to blend at Barnard? Was this a good combination for her?
8. What was John Hurston's reputation as a preacher? How did he gain this status and reputation?
9. How did the miners in Polk County get a history lesson?
10. Through showing her friendships with Ethel Waters and Fanny Hurst, what is Zora communicating to the reader?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)