|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zora's relationship with P.M.P try?
(a) Her sanity.
(b) Her nature.
(c) Her talent.
(d) Her bank account.
2. Zora describes her father's revivals as ______.
3. Around whom was Fanny Hurst usually found?
(d) Other women.
4. How are Fanny Hurst and Zora similar?
(a) Both their mothers died young.
(b) They are both from Eatonville.
(c) Both of them worked with acting groups.
(d) They are both playful and serious.
5. What caused Zora to leave Polk?
(a) The big brawl.
(b) She was out of money.
(c) She committed a crime.
(d) Her family needed her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is uncommon amongst whites and Yankees in Zora's opinion?
2. For what was Leon Walter Young famous?
3. Zora chose not to approach Ethel as a _____.
4. The party where Zora and Ethel meet was for whom?
5. While discussing distinctions within her own race, she explains that educated people ______ raucous people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Leon Walter Young notorious? Why?
2. Where did Zora gain her lingual abilities? How did these abilities aid her and her father's careers?
3. What was John Hurston's reputation as a preacher? How did he gain this status and reputation?
4. When is the phrase "My people! My people!" used and why?
5. How did Zora pursue a friendship with Ethel Waters? Why was she eager to befriend Ethel?
6. Why was Zora's new writing career challenging for her financially? How did she overcome it?
7. What opportunity did Nassau afford Zora?
8. How does Zora address "the race problem" in her work? Why does she approach it as she does?
9. Why did Zora have conflicted feelings towards the church?
10. Were Zora's school and work life beginning to blend at Barnard? Was this a good combination for her?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)