|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rufus runs up to the phone booth where Simon routinely waits for calls and does what?
2. Willie takes Rufus and the Moors to a spot where he has hidden the rifle that is located where?
3. What is Rufus feeling regarding the scrapbook incident when he encounters the Moors at the Happy Place?
4. The police offer arrests Simon for what charge?
5. The Moors end up being chased where by the Gassers in accordance with Rufus' plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place when Rufus Henry notices the arrival of Simon Jones and his date?
2. What is Alex Robbins' reaction when the Moors tell him they desire to host a black-tie event at a local hall, including several hundred guests as well as police presence?
3. What task does Rufus Henry have Idell and Baby Gibson perform in preparation for the rumble with the Gassers?
4. How do the Moors prompt the Gassers to chase them to the location they want the attack to take place that evening?
5. On Friday night of the graduation celebration, what does Rufus Henry observe as he makes his way to the event with his date?
6. Why does Rufus Henry go to the residence of the leader of the Bloods, Pelican Smith?
7. What is Rufus Henry's reaction the next time Nonie Emrey and Judy Williams discuss the Moors sponsoring a graduation celebration?
8. After they trip over the wire running between the two sheds, what causes the Gassers to think they are hearing guns firing?
9. What happens when Rufus Henry sees that the Gassers' dates are no longer present?
10. What transpires when Alex Robbins later stops by Rufus Henry's home after the graduation celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elaborate on how Frank Bonham utilizes foreshadowing in Durango Street. Consider the scene wherein the Gassers confront Rufus Henry in the alley by the grocery, he produces a weapon, and includes Simon Jones' car. How is this episode in comparison with the subsequent confrontation between the Moors and the Gassers by the sheds near the freeway?
Essay Topic 2
How do the violent events that transpire in the early part of Frank Bonham's novel compare with those in the concluding chapters? What is the mood the author has set by the conclusion of the novel? Is Rufus Henry comfortable in his selecting correct action versus gang violence? How does the protagonist appear to feel as he makes future plans with his mother and Alex Robbins in the final scene?
Essay Topic 3
To Frank Bonham, setting is very important. What sort of picture does he display in the opening chapters of Rufus Henry's new environment in the Durango Housing Project? Consider how Bonham presents the condition of the residences on Teagarden Street, the interior of Rufus' new home, and the alley providing his initial experience with the Gassers. How do these unpleasant surroundings contribute to Rufus feeling trapped?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)