|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is it Mr. Rubio informs Rufus his mother has moved to?
2. Rufus' mother says Rufus may take his sister along to the store, but his brother must stay behind to do what?
3. When Rufus asks his mother if she was really married to Ernie Brown, what is her response?
4. When the Gassers surround Rufus in an alley, Rufus breaks a bottle of ________ to defend himself with the glass.
5. Who does Rufus threaten directly in the alley while defending himself with the broken bottle by putting the glass shard toward this individual's chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that Rufus Henry is let into the Moors gang after the president of the gang initially says no to his request?
2. In the meeting following his fight with Bantu Motley, what does Rufus Henry suggest regarding how the Moors should deal with the Gassers?
3. How is it that Rufus Henry becomes leader of the Moors?
4. When Rufus Henry offers to purchase groceries using the money he has been given upon leaving Pine Valley, what is his mother's response?
5. Why is Rufus Henry nervous about going to the Durango Housing Project?
6. En route to the store, what quickly happens when Rufus Henry and his sister encounter a carload of gang members?
7. Once safe at home following his confrontation with the Gassers in the alley, what is his mother's response when Rufus Henry asks her about her first marriage?
8. How is it that Rufus Henry displays his practical side when initially encountering the Gassers gang?
9. What Is Rufus Henry's recollection of his mother first telling him about her marriage to Ernie Brown?
10. Why is the house in the Durango Housing Project not one in which Rufus Henry will feel at home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the violent events that transpire in the early part of Frank Bonham's novel compare with those in the concluding chapters? What is the mood the author has set by the conclusion of the novel? Is Rufus Henry comfortable in his selecting correct action versus gang violence? How does the protagonist appear to feel as he makes future plans with his mother and Alex Robbins in the final scene?
Essay Topic 2
Expand on why neither Mrs. Henry nor Rufus Henry want to file a police report subsequent to the Gassers roughing up Janet Henry and cutting off one of her pigtails. What are the reasons Mrs. Henry does not want to file a complaint? What are the reasons Rufus does not want to? Why is it Rufus wants to settle the matter in his own way when it might get him into trouble and possibly eliminate his scholarship possibilities?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Rufus Henry joins the Moors gang when his parole officer, Ed Travers, has advised him that one stipulation of Rufus' parole is that he is required to stay unassociated with any gangs. Is it a necessary move on Rufus' part? What negative impact might it have? What alternate routes might Rufus have taken?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)