|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holds the water underneath the sand?
2. What is Alia's nickname?
3. What planet are the conspirators on?
4. How many kontars did Farok's home cost?
5. What is the proper name of Dune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Paul angry when Chani is getting the coffee ready?
2. What does Alia say about the Qizarate?
3. How does Paul treat Irulan?
4. What strange gift does the Steersman bring for Paul? What do you think the true intention of this gift is?
5. How did Farok's son lose his eyes? Why does he refuse replacements?
6. Why do Fremen distrust off-worlders?
7. How is Scytale different from the other conspirators?
8. Describe the security of Paul's fortress. What does Scytale think of this?
9. What does Irulan desire? Why?
10. What is the significance of the Dune Tarot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay cataloging and describing the types of mental powers displayed by characters in the Dune universe. Be sure to include details about:
1) The origins of the powers.
2) Capacity of powers for good and evil.
3) Whether these powers really exist in any shape or form.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that comprehensively describes the family tree of Paul Atreides. Be sure to include:
1) Information regarding the place each character on the tree was born and grew up.
2) Interesting details regarding the genetic or blood origin of characters.
3) Strengths and failings of each character.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the symbolism in Dune Messiah. Be sure to:
1) Choose a symbol and write a complete description of what you feel this symbol represents.
2) How the symbol is dealt with in the novel.
3) Why the symbol should be important to readers.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)