|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old man missing?
2. What is the city surrounded by?
3. What people call Dune home?
4. What does Korba say there aren't as many of anymore?
5. What does Alia say you do not to do people when you want them to remain peaceful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hayt remember?
2. What is Irulan's relationship to Paul?
3. Describe the meeting between Irulan and Reverend Mother Mohiam.
4. Describe the area where Scytale meets Farok. How does the old man feel about living there?
5. Why do you think that perfectly predicting the future is fatal?
6. How did Farok's son lose his eyes? Why does he refuse replacements?
7. What makes Paul angry when Chani is getting the coffee ready?
8. What do Paul's visions tell him to do? What impression do you get from the visions?
9. How is Scytale different from the other conspirators?
10. Why does Scytale think Farok is wise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short essay describing the time line of Paul's life. Be sure to address:
1) Major turning points in Paul's life.
2) Direct and indirect effects of the choices Paul makes.
3) Ideas on how Paul's life could have been different.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay cataloging and describing the types of mental powers displayed by characters in the Dune universe. Be sure to include details about:
1) The origins of the powers.
2) Capacity of powers for good and evil.
3) Whether these powers really exist in any shape or form.
Essay Topic 3
Write a essay that serves as a fictional history of the reign of Emperor Paul Muad'dib. Ensure that:
1) The essay is written as though it is relating 'real history.'
2) The essay either praises or condemns the rule of Paul Atreides.
3) The essay uses only 'canon' information from the Frank Herbert Dune series of books.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)