|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scytale say are not important for solving their mutual problem?
2. How does Scytale describe Edric?
3. What friend of Paul's has been resurrected as a ghola?
4. What does Paul think is the 'inevitable fate of power?'
5. What does Irulan say is a tool of statecraft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the Fremen and the off-worlders?
2. What does Alia say about the Qizarate?
3. Describe Stilgar.
4. What strange gift does the Steersman bring for Paul? What do you think the true intention of this gift is?
5. What does Paul say about his powers?
6. Describe the meeting between Irulan and Reverend Mother Mohiam.
7. How did Farok's son lose his eyes? Why does he refuse replacements?
8. Why do you think that perfectly predicting the future is fatal?
9. What is the 'key reminder' of the Bene Gesserit creed?
10. What relationship does Edric, the Guild Steersman, have with the spice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a essay that serves as a fictional history of the reign of Emperor Paul Muad'dib. Ensure that:
1) The essay is written as though it is relating 'real history.'
2) The essay either praises or condemns the rule of Paul Atreides.
3) The essay uses only 'canon' information from the Frank Herbert Dune series of books.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the symbolism in Dune Messiah. Be sure to:
1) Choose a symbol and write a complete description of what you feel this symbol represents.
2) How the symbol is dealt with in the novel.
3) Why the symbol should be important to readers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that comprehensively describes the family tree of Paul Atreides. Be sure to include:
1) Information regarding the place each character on the tree was born and grew up.
2) Interesting details regarding the genetic or blood origin of characters.
3) Strengths and failings of each character.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)