|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Channi bless after the ceremony?
2. Who does Jessica think has poisoned Paul?
3. What color hair does the emperor have?
4. What would satellites reveal about Dune?
5. What does the color black mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Feyd Rautha's appearance at the gladiatorial fight?
2. In what way does Chani immediately appeal to Paul?
3. Summarize the final section of book 2.
4. What is Hawat's plan concerning the state of Fed's Rautha's opponent?
5. How does Jessica react to sense sharing with Paul?
6. How are the worms useful to the Fremens?
7. What does the Baron learn from Hawat in part 3 section 1?
8. Why is Jessica happy to be with the Fremen?
9. What happens to Jessica's unborn daughter when Jessica is ordained as Reverend Mother?
10. How do Paul and Stilger convince the Fremen tribe that Stilger and Paul should not fight for the tribe's leadership?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was taken away?
Essay Topic 2
Herbert sets the majority of the novel on the fictional county of Arrakis. Do you think the planet resembles any real life setting? Why do you think Herbet has chosen to use a fictional planet? What difference do you think it would make if he used a real planet such as earth?
Essay Topic 3
Frank Herbert is a American writer responsible for one of the greatest science fiction series of the 20th century. Examine Herbert's life. What kind of upbringing did he have? What kind of education? What were the major themes of his work? Why do you think Herbert's novels were so relevant in the mid-twentieth century and continue to be relevant today?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)