|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul see when he goes out to explore?
2. Where does Jessica mix with the party guests?
3. Who does Leto toast?
4. Who could prevent Paul from fulfilling his destiny?
5. What kind of conditioning has Yueh endured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the message that Lady Fenring leaves for Jessica?
2. How do the Fremen soldiers fare in their battle against the Sardaukar's?
3. What does Jessica notice about Paul's face at the end of book 1?
4. Summarize the second section.
5. Why is Leto depressed?
6. Summarize the third section.
7. What does Paul think about while he pretends to be asleep?
8. How does Jessica and Yueh deal with Idaho's drunkenness?
9. Describe Duke Leto.
10. How can one escape a worm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was taken away?
Essay Topic 2
Herbet wrote Dune in the 1960's. Think about the world and in particular America during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to America's political or social environment at that time? If so how?
2) Is Herbert's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time? Have any of Herbert's ideas come true?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think religion is good way to gain control over a population? How have western countries used religion to gain control over small nations? What alternatives are there to using religion as a source of power? Why have countries become controlled by a religion, particularly if it is not directly derived from their own culture?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)