|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Yeuh say is asleep in the room next door?
2. What sisterhood training did Paul's mother once attend?
3. What does Paul say is the cause of his waking dream?
4. What does Mohiam use to draw Paul beside her?
5. Where does Jessica mix with the party guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight Paul has with the hunter seeker.
2. Why does Jessica hope that Paul does not use the Voice?
3. How does the Baron escape the poisonous gas?
4. How does Jessica and Yueh deal with Idaho's drunkenness?
5. Summarize the second section.
6. What does Paul think about while he pretends to be asleep?
7. What do the Fremen say has happened to Halleck at the beginning of book 2?
8. Summarize the final section of book 1.
9. Why can the Duke not marry Jessica?
10. Describe the test that Mohiam puts Paul through to see if he is human.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herbet wrote Dune in the 1960's. Think about the world and in particular America during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to America's political or social environment at that time? If so how?
2) Is Herbert's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time? Have any of Herbert's ideas come true?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples to support your argument discuss the following statement. Herbert's depiction of the female characters is clichéd and one dimensional.
Essay Topic 3
As the best selling science fiction book of all time, Dune has greatly influenced popular culture. Choose a film or book written after Dune that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)