|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Yeuh say is asleep in the room next door?
2. Who does Paul recognize as the pilot of the 'thopter?
3. Of whom does Paul remind Halleck?
4. What does Jessica call a death maker?
5. What does Hawat order his men to be like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can one escape a worm?
2. What do Mohim and Jessica say about Paul in private?
3. Describe the fight Paul has with the hunter seeker.
4. Summarize the first section of book 2.
5. What does Jessica notice about Paul's face at the end of book 1?
6. Describe Guerney Hallack.
7. Why can the Duke not marry Jessica?
8. Summarize the final section of book 1.
9. Describe how Paul and Jessica manage to escape.
10. What does Paul think about while he pretends to be asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herbet wrote Dune in the 1960's. Think about the world and in particular America during this period and discuss whether the book reflects what was happening.
1) What are the book's themes? Do they relate to America's political or social environment at that time? If so how?
2) Is Herbert's vision a direct result of what was happening in the world at that time? Have any of Herbert's ideas come true?
Essay Topic 2
Examine point of view. Why does Herbert write the book from the third person? Does it limit the story in any way? How would the story be different if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Herbert's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is Herbert's writing style?
3) What meaning does Herbert's style give to the book?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)