|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antonion feel about confronting the Cardinal with the hope of reconciliation?
2. How does the Cardinal believe the Duchess should be punished?
3. When Antonio and the Duchess separate at the end of Act 3, Antonio takes with him:
4. When the executioners enter the Duchess's chamber, what three items do they bring with them?
5. Bosola believes he is haunted by:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, some characters are (1) admired but not respected, (2) respected but not admired, and (3) admired and respected. Choose one character for each description, and state who admires and/or respects them and why.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think we never learn the Duchess's name in the play? What do you think the author was trying to say by not giving her a name? How would the play have changed, or not have changed, if she had been given a name?
Essay Topic 3
What literary devices does the author use to convey things about the characters within the first few scenes of the play? Thinking about the way Webster uses characters, foreshadowing, and dialogue, pick 3 characters, and describe how these devices help the reader know more about the characters and what is going to happen later in the play.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)