|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonio says he does not want to live his life "by halves." What does this mean?
2. What position is the Cardinal resigning from?
3. After Ferdinand has gone mad, he is found wandering the streets carrying what?
4. What do the final comments from the pilgrims foreshadow?
5. What women are involved in the scheming of Act 3, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What function does the chorus and the lack of dialogue serve in Act 3, Scene 4 (where the Duchess, Antonio, and their children are banished, and where the Cardinal decides to become a soldier)? Describe 3 things Webster is able to convey to the audience by using this particular literary device. What other literary devices could be used to convey a similar message?
Essay Topic 2
Bosola makes a lot of choices in the play that have very serious consequences. Write an alternate ending, of at least 4 paragraphs, of what would have happened if (pick one):
1) Bosola hadn't notified the Duchess's brothers when her first baby was born.
2) Bosola had confessed to the Duchess that he was spying on her at her brothers' request.
3) Bosola hadn't accidentally stabbed Antonio in the fog.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, some characters are (1) admired but not respected, (2) respected but not admired, and (3) admired and respected. Choose one character for each description, and state who admires and/or respects them and why.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)