|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the pilgrims think about the Duchess's choice to marry Antonio?
2. The Cardinal makes Pescara, Malateste, Roderigo, and Grisolan promise him something, so that he can dispose of Julia's body. What is it?
3. Who murders Julia?
4. What is the Duchess's last statement before she dies?
5. How does Ferdinand pay Bosola for murdering the Duchess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bosola makes a lot of choices in the play that have very serious consequences. Write an alternate ending, of at least 4 paragraphs, of what would have happened if (pick one):
1) Bosola hadn't notified the Duchess's brothers when her first baby was born.
2) Bosola had confessed to the Duchess that he was spying on her at her brothers' request.
3) Bosola hadn't accidentally stabbed Antonio in the fog.
Essay Topic 2
Poison, and poisoned objects, make an appearance several times throughout the play. Citing three examples, how do you think Webster is using poison as a literary device? What is poison supposed to symbolize, and what message is Webster trying to convey with it?
Essay Topic 3
How might the play would have been different if Bosola had, in fact, spared the Duchess's life and sent her away to sanctuary? Would Ferdinand still have wanted this without having seen her dead body? Write an alternate ending, of at least 4 paragraphs, that considers what might have happened if Bosola had made this decision.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)