|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bosola treat the Old Lady when he catches her in a hurry?
2. The Duchess hires Bosola as:
3. What does Delio ask Julia to do for him?
4. When Ferdinand confronts the Duchess about having children, who does he think is their father?
5. What prized possession does Antonio entrust with Delio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Delio show his support and friendship to Antonio before Antonio leaves to demand a reconciliation with the Cardinal?
2. Because the Duchess did, in fact, disobey Ferdinand and the Cardinal, how does Ferdinand decide to punish her?
3. Bosola questions Ferdinand about Ferdinand's treatment of the Duchess in Act 4. What does Bosola request?
4. What reasons does Antonio have to be suspicious of Bosola?
5. How does Bosola find out that the Cardinal was behind the scheme to kill the Duchess?
6. What does the Duchess think about her brothers' declaration that she should not marry? What does she do after they leave?
7. Why does Bosola have such a low opinion of Antonio?
8. What does the Duchess tell Antonio about her brothers' reaction to her getting remarried?
9. In Act 3, is Ferdinand still angry about the Duchess's children after all of these years?
10. Describe what the reader first knows about the Duchess.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the Duchess right in living the life that she did? Pick 3 of the choices she makes in the play and then present an argument, using the choices as your evidence, supporting your position.
Essay Topic 2
What literary devices does the author use to convey things about the characters within the first few scenes of the play? Thinking about the way Webster uses characters, foreshadowing, and dialogue, pick 3 characters, and describe how these devices help the reader know more about the characters and what is going to happen later in the play.
Essay Topic 3
What function does the echo serve in Act 5, Scene 3 (when Antonio and Delio are talking about Antonio's plans to confront the Cardinal about the Duchess's murder)? Describe 3 things Webster is able to convey to the audience by using this particular literary device. What other literary devices could be used to convey a similar message?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)